HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lapresse article - Ribeiro power skating/Bulin and Aucoin almost Habs last season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-30-2006, 09:51 AM
  #26
Catch-22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
I will feel so much better when he is powerskating in another city or Hamilton.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 10:18 AM
  #27
Le depisteur
Registered User
 
Le depisteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Watch out tonight... It will be the subject of the 110% debate... With Ciccone and Rinfret!
http://www.tqs.ca/emissions/110/

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 10:26 AM
  #28
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
Watch out tonight... It will be the subject of the 110% debate... With Ciccone and Rinfret!
http://www.tqs.ca/emissions/110/
I really wish you guys would stop making publicity for that stupid show... Ils sont tellement cons!!

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 10:43 AM
  #29
Montrealer
Registered User
 
Montrealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chambly QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
I will feel so much better when he is powerskating in another city or Hamilton.
What if he proves himself this season as a valuable member of the team? Will you be able to overcome your hatred? Or will you seethe and in a shocking move defect to the Leafs?

The answer....... in an after-school special you won't forget....... coming soon!

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 10:55 AM
  #30
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Oh wow... all of two times a week.

Don't strain yourself too hard, Mike.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 10:57 AM
  #31
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, câlisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
only 4 practices in 2 weeks? Bleh. At leas he says he wants to start earlier next year because he liked it. And he now has a good base to work on.

And ***...thank god Theo fell down the stairs...what a horrible trade that would have been. I dont believe it That's nearly 11 million in salaries comming our way. Ah...that sends shivers down my spine.
Julie Robitaille's school is A LOT like that of Anna Sherbatov. My son was supposed to go this summer, but I had conflicting schedules. But my good friend went with his son and he told me that it's less of a power skating school, and more of a technical school. So, yes, 4 sessions for Ribs could be enough to help him correct some flaws.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 11:02 AM
  #32
Le depisteur
Registered User
 
Le depisteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I really wish you guys would stop making publicity for that stupid show... Ils sont tellement cons!!
Just irony...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 11:06 AM
  #33
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Julie Robitaille's school is A LOT like that of Anna Sherbatov. My son was supposed to go this summer, but I had conflicting schedules. But my good friend went with his son and he told me that it's less of a power skating school, and more of a technical school. So, yes, 4 sessions for Ribs could be enough to help him correct some flaws.
he did power skating for 3 seasons now , so as you said , it's more about technical corrections and is enough for that . But that's something that the haters of Ribeiro are not able to understand ...

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 11:51 AM
  #34
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
he did power skating for 3 seasons now , so as you said , it's more about technical corrections and is enough for that . But that's something that the haters of Ribeiro are not able to understand ...
Not to mention that if it were power skating - i.e. the purpose is to build muscle - then more than 2-3 times a week would be detrimental to the process.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:10 PM
  #35
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,549
vCash: 500
Does he have the will? He had in the juniors, he was driven to make others look awful.

Now that he's the one who's average, I don't know, it doesn't come as easy, doesn't it?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:17 PM
  #36
Catch-22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
What if he proves himself this season as a valuable member of the team? Will you be able to overcome your hatred? Or will you seethe and in a shocking move defect to the Leafs?

The answer....... in an after-school special you won't forget....... coming soon!

The Leafs love he fact that we have such an ineffective player among our top 2 centremen, so Ribeiro fans ironically already have similar interests to Leaf fans.

Are you seriosuly suggesting that Ribeiro will prove himself more valuable than Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, Ryder, Samsonov, or even Plekanec and Johnson?

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 02:01 PM
  #37
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 23,665
vCash: 1131
Quote:
Sa(Ribeiro) cote a baissé, le Canadien a tenté de l'échanger, sans toutefois trouver preneur (du moins serait-il passé aux Blackhawks de Chicago avec Pierre Dagenais et José Théodore en retour de Nikolai Khabibulin et Adrian Aucoin, l'hiver dernier, si celui-ci ne s'était pas cassé la cheville la veille du jour où on devait annoncer la transaction).
Dagenias,Ribs,Theo

Aucoin,Khabibulin

I have a hard time beliving this..

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 02:19 PM
  #38
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumitru123 View Post
The article's headline sounds like bashing!
"Ribeiro is FASTER"

they mention that he was about to be traded to the Chicago with Theodore and Dagenais for Aucoin and Khabibulin; the day Theodore fell down the stairs...
I wonder if that's true, as they state it as a matter of fact.
That rumor was mentioned previously, but I didn't know Dagenais was also in. At this point, it would have been good for both teams, but currently, Habs are not stocked with an overpaid goaltender. I just wish we won't lost Aebisher + Danis by the start of next season (Aebisher through free agency; Danis through waivers).

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 02:22 PM
  #39
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Dagenias,Ribs,Theo

Aucoin,Khabibulin

I have a hard time beliving this..
Aucoin + Khabibulin = 10,8M$ and 10,M$ that were playing a really bad hockey in last Fall... Aucoin ended with 1-5-6 in 33 games.... 1-5-6 for 4M$.

Both teams trading their problems.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 02:34 PM
  #40
Habsaholic
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
Thats a BS rumor, someone looking to sell at the newsstands

Habsaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 02:40 PM
  #41
Montrealer
Registered User
 
Montrealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chambly QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
The Leafs love he fact that we have such an ineffective player among our top 2 centremen, so Ribeiro fans ironically already have similar interests to Leaf fans.
Nice attempt, however I do not see him being ineffective. A #2 centreman with 50 points is not ineffective, even if he had a disappointing season, as I'll freely admit. At the same time, he seemed to get better once other distractions were removed and Gainey took over.

Quote:
Are you seriosuly suggesting that Ribeiro will prove himself more valuable than Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, Ryder, Samsonov, or even Plekanec and Johnson?
If you would actually read what I wrote, I asked you a hypothetical question: "What if he proves himself this season as a valuable member of the team?" While I never specifically said he would prove himself more valuable than others, I do agree that I believe he will be an effective member of our Top Six.

At the same time, if he fails to produce given the linemates he's likely to have this year, I'll be the first one to say it's time for another option and at that point he doesn't have much of a place on our team. See, I can actually look at both sides of the situation, put aside my assumptions and beliefs, and accept what's best for the team.

Why can't you?

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 02:57 PM
  #42
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,055
vCash: 500
I loved the article up until the last paragraph.

It makes me so mad that Ribeiro would say that he was unfairly criticized because there were other players on the team who didn't produce as much as he did but were praised for their efforts. Even if it is true (which it is... Ribeiro is cut very little slack these days probably because after the 03-04 campaign he was supposed to be crowned habs captain) he shouldn't make comparisons to other teamates, their performance and the way they were treated by the media. The only person he should compare himself to is himself.

I really really really wish him a great season and I have a feeling he'll have one. Playing between the two wingers he's playing between should spark him and give him a little confidence. Once he has his confidence up the rest will come. He'll have the confidence to get roughed up in the corners/in front of the net...

... hopefully.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 03:24 PM
  #43
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
The Leafs love he fact that we have such an ineffective player among our top 2 centremen, so Ribeiro fans ironically already have similar interests to Leaf fans.

Are you seriosuly suggesting that Ribeiro will prove himself more valuable than Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, Ryder, Samsonov, or even Plekanec and Johnson?


the Leafs fans probably love even more the fact that the " ineffective Ribeiro " is the Habs that lead the team for the points total of the last 2 seasons , also for the +- , also for the takeaways minus giveaways ( forward )...


goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 03:30 PM
  #44
boundless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Oh wow... all of two times a week.

Don't strain yourself too hard, Mike.
how do you know that if it was even in his control? she runs a school...and also trains other players. maybe she didn't have time to offer more than 4 sessions.

boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 03:44 PM
  #45
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
Hmmm ... amazing, just amazing that word :

Volonté

Once again the key '' plague '' word with Ribs throughout his career

does he have the will ... Scott Livingston says no, Claude Julien says no, Skater girl says maybe ...

so who knows
Claude Julien says yes. He made him play on the 2nd line almost every game he coached in Montreal. Considering his limits on the ice, if Ribeiro had a bad attitude he would'nt have last in the NHL. Gainey gave him 1.9M for a reason.

Not sure if you read the article but the skating coach is basically saying that the rumors about his will were ********.

Do you have a link to Livingston saying anything bad about Ribeiro or you made that up?? I tried with google and absolutely nothing comes out.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 04:50 PM
  #46
Catch-22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Nice attempt, however I do not see him being ineffective. A #2 centreman with 50 points is not ineffective, even if he had a disappointing season, as I'll freely admit. At the same time, he seemed to get better once other distractions were removed and Gainey took over.



If you would actually read what I wrote, I asked you a hypothetical question: "What if he proves himself this season as a valuable member of the team?" While I never specifically said he would prove himself more valuable than others, I do agree that I believe he will be an effective member of our Top Six.

At the same time, if he fails to produce given the linemates he's likely to have this year, I'll be the first one to say it's time for another option and at that point he doesn't have much of a place on our team. See, I can actually look at both sides of the situation, put aside my assumptions and beliefs, and accept what's best for the team.

Why can't you?


1) Yet another Ribeiro fan has made the fatal mistake of evaluating a player based ONLY on offensive production.

2) 50 pts does not make up for the deficiencies in virtually every other part of his game.

3) There is no "other side" to this debate. Ribeiro must go or the habs will not compete for the cup. You need a solid, WELL ROUNDED core of centres. Just do a search on NHL.com of the centres on Cup winning teams in the last 4 seasons and you should get the picture.

4) Your hypothetical question is irrelevant because there is no way that Mike Ribeiro can become the gritty, strong, two-way centre that we need to be competitive. But please don't kid me. When you say "valuable member of the team", you really mean "if he scores more than 60 pts". I don't care if he scores 90 pts. We don't need more one-dimensional point getters. We need clutch scorers, gritty, two-way hockey players who will forecheck, backcheck, block shots and win face-offs. Ribeiro does none of these things. 50 pts is very marginal and a marginal number cannot possibly make up for his lack of other qualities. Grit and sacrifice is not and never has been his style of play and to change a player's style of play is like trying to change a personality. It takes years and years. Even if he could change his playing style, he does not have the speed or strength to compete successfully in the "new" NHL.

5) You're giving me the "one more chance" argument. Ribeiro has had his chances in the 2004 playoffs, the 2006 regular season and the 2006 season. I don't care to give him any chances because his ineffective playing style never left him a chance of being competitive. But even then he's had more chances than any player on the Habs and he's failed to come through. No excuses.

6) It is unsurprisingly convenient that Ribeiro fans want him reevaluated now that they think he will play with Kovalev and Samsonov. Not only is this an unlikely line (not for the long term anyway), but the simple fact that his evaluation should be based on the abilities of his line-mates is a weak and sad proposition. Even Ribeiro fans seem to understand that he cannot hold his own.

7) I have made no assumptions and I hold no beliefs. My position is backed up by every theoretical argument and Ribeiro stat except for one - his REGULAR SEASON 2004 stats. And let me be clear: I do not give a rat's a$$. He only got so many assists because Ryder couldn't miss the net. Ribeiro was soft, weak and when the going got tough in the playoffs, he slithered under a rock in a way that we now know is typical of him.

On the other hand, if you argue that Ribeiro has the potential to be an effective player, I am inclined to respond that there is no possible way to back that up except using beliefs and assumptions.


8) Amazingly enough, Ribeiro has magically gone from everybody's whipping boy in the playoffs to our new first line centre. He was rightfully the whipping boy, because as usual he couldn't even hit the back of a single open net. There are few players who are allowed to get away with this in Montreal...

9) Both leafs fans and Ribeiro fans both like Ribeiro playing on montreal. Their reasons may be different, but it stands. If I am a fan of any opposing team, I would be extremely happy to see Mike Ribeiro on the ice. Hopefully I will be a fan of a team that one day faces off against Ribeiro. Within 365 days, if he is not in Hamilton I will probably get my wish. My second wish, of course, is that he plays in the eastern conference or, better yet, in our division so that we can play against him as often as possible. Perhaps fortunatley, the only GM in our division dumb enough to acquire him is probably Ferguson Jr.


Last edited by Catch-22: 08-30-2006 at 09:37 PM.
Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 04:53 PM
  #47
Catch-22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post


the Leafs fans probably love even more the fact that the " ineffective Ribeiro " is the Habs that lead the team for the points total of the last 2 seasons , also for the +- , also for the takeaways minus giveaways ( forward )...

2004 = irrelevant. It was one year as a side-kick to Michael Ryder.

I would also do a little reading on how they calculate takeaways and giveaways because I think you misunderstand it. They are mutually exclusive and are different from "turnovers". The tabulation criteria make this stat completely useless for figuring out how many turnovers a player is responsible for.


Last edited by Catch-22: 08-30-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 05:11 PM
  #48
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boundless View Post
how do you know that if it was even in his control? she runs a school...and also trains other players. maybe she didn't have time to offer more than 4 sessions.
Is that some kind of joke?

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 05:18 PM
  #49
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Oh wow... all of two times a week.

Don't strain yourself too hard, Mike.
1st. You don't know what else Ribs is doing with his life...He might be hitting the gym 3 times a week...

2nd. Your muscles build while you're resting...so I don't see anything over 3 sessions/week being good for anyone.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 05:23 PM
  #50
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
1st. You don't know what else Ribs is doing with his life...He might be hitting the gym 3 times a week...

2nd. Your muscles build while you're resting...so I don't see anything over 3 sessions/week being good for anyone.
1. Yeah, don't kid yourself.

2. Apparently this isn't power skating but rather refinement of skating technique.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.