Notices

Deep thoughts!!!

Old
08-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Kosikarzzz

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Deep thoughts!!!

I am not a reporter or an english major for that matter so bare with me. Just a bruins fan with some random thoughts and am getting ready for the start of the season. Hopefully it makes sense!

We can blame the whole organization for last years mess or we can blame Sully, or even O’Connell. It was a pretty big gamble thinking that they would capitalize on other teams using the cap as leverage. In the end it cost us Knuble & Nylander. Two key players that MOC & management still wanted but bolted as soon as they got the chance signing contracts with other teams even before the lock out started. Me personally, I thought it would work but one thing was completely missed by everybody including me was chemistry.

For some reason I just can’t see why Sully had all these rookie’s playing in pre-season games knowing that they weren’t going to make it to the show. It appeared that the opening night roster was assembled for the first time having never really playing together yet. No wonder we got smoked right from the get go. The Bruins looked lost and were out worked on most nights. I will give them some slack as every year their season starts with this massive road trip where the team doesn’t get to work on plays in practice as much as they should simply because they are on the road. But, the schedule wasn’t a surprise so I give failing marks to Sully and company for not having the team prepared for opening night. But was it Sully’s fault that the defense was stacked with rookies. I mean…Kevin Dallman. How about a hold out goalie that wasn’t in game shape.

Given the hind sight I can easily point out OC mistakes. Signing over-aged, out of shape has beens and under estimating our defense. How about contract hold outs. The list goes on but in the end, the fire sale worked and we are left with a pretty good system where our strength starts in net and works it self out from the Defense to the Forwards. Actually, I thought we were cooked after we lost Joe Thornton but the whole organization took a look at it self and completely changed in every way. Hopefully we are no longer the type of team that would let someone like Ribero get away with what he did and roll over and die. That bugs me so much! Not that I wanted him to get Bertuzzied or anything but that guy scored 2 goals against us the next game in the playoffs. If Character is one of the traits that the “New Bruins” must have then hopefully we will never see another incident like that again.

I am extremely impressed with the “Chara” mini camp and everybody that shows up. That shows a lot of dedication to the team and how serious they are to winning. I wonder how Kessel-Savard-Murray line working out.

Here is my forecast for this year…Chemistry could be a problem but it appears that with this mini camp players want to get off to an early lead so it may not be a problem.

Goaltending-
There is no doubt in my mind that “Timmay” will remain the same as last year which is a good thing. He played pretty good. The better news is that Hannu should beat him out and become our #1. Kind of like a 40-60 split with Hannu getting the majority of the games. Goaltending is our strong point because with the upgrade of our defense we look to be a very hard team to score against.

Defense-
What an upgrade! Pretty complete as we have size, speed, skill, toughness & depth. Players reach their prime around 27-31 years of age. Check this out…

Chara 29
Mara-27
B.Stuart-26
Alberts-24
Jurcina-22
M.Stuart-21
Dempsy-31
York-34

The key for me is Brad Stuart. He took the sad looking defense on his shoulders last year and really stepped up. He was every where. He was hitting, scoring, breaking up plays & setting them up. He is the best Dman we have had since Ray Bourque. I don’t care what TSN or anybody says about him. He was very dependable and has really improved since coming over from San Jose. Infact, he is the player everybody thought he would be when he was drafted 3rd overall. He is the anchor of the Bruin defense and hopefully will be for a very long time. This year with this defense will be a breakout year for him.

Forwards-
I was worried about this for a while at the end of last year and through out the early summer. I am not so worried anymore. So many possibilities...what will they do? I think “Kessel is the real deal” and am waiting to change my avatar to that when there is a picture of him with his arms in the air after a goal. We don’t have the deep forward lines like Montreal/Edmonton but we do have legit #1, #2 scoring lines, 3rd checking line and 4th spare part line. In fact, we could have the best 2nd line we have had in years. I could have sworn we all mentioned that last year…LOL! The fact that Kessel-Savard-Murray are in the Chara mini camp shows they are motivated enough and want to get a head start. I’d like to see them compete with the Bergeron line for ice time.
The third line of Donovan-Primeau-Axcellson should be good to watch when going head to head with the other teams #1 line. Will pay off come playoff time.
If our 4th line has more “special K’s” on it. I am hoping for a Tenkat/Stasny/Karsums/Kalus combo and want to stay away from the old Fitzgerald/Green type of players whose only job is to stall the play with out getting scored on until our top lines have rested up. Give those guys the freedom and chance to score with out some talent less has been holding them down. I am surprised Boyes actually scored as much as he did from the forth line last year.
Scoring won’t be a problem. Toughness will be. I would still take Isbister back but it bugs me that he didn’t drop the gloves once. Who is going to fight..Brookbank? Chara? Alberts? Primeau? This is the one thing that really sticks out and could really hurt us. Toronto beat Ottawa so many times because of this. Unfortunately I am going to have to vote “Yes” on the Tibbetts possibility because that toughness combined with skill is exactly what we are missing. See Tibbetts thread for debates regarding this one.

As I was saying, I believe that the Bruins identity will be that of a team that is very hard to score on. If we can look like the Calgary Flames a few years ago I’d be happy. Strong goaltending, tough skilled defense with fast balls to the wall forwards I’d be pretty happy. That appears to be the direction this team is going and that is pretty exciting hockey.
Pending some injury riddled season like last year I am expecting a very competitive team. They have the potential to really make some noise. I don’t care where they stand just as long as they make the playoffs and make some noise. The cup will come but lets enjoy this team growing and getting there.

Kosikarzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 11:25 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Nice post

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Patrice37

Send a message via AIM to Patrice37
excellent

Patrice37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Jesarino
Verified!

Send a message via ICQ to Jesarino Send a message via MSN to Jesarino Send a message via Yahoo to Jesarino
A great post.

I completely agree about Stuart, and I hope that we can find a way to keep him here for a long time.

Can you imagine if we knew during the lockout that we'd end up with both Chara and Stuart? If you had told me that back then I would have laughed in your face and lost all repect for you as a hockey fan.

I can't wait for the season to start!

Jesarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Boston Bruno

Great thoughts..

Additions?

MOC errors on Rolston as well.

No matter what people think of Rolston, he was a very important PK and PP guy - also had amazing speed.

The loss of Rolston was felt thru the entire roster..

This leads to the whole "cohesion" of the team problem. Turn over too many guys and you just dont have a very "lovey team" feeling.

Rangers did that alot and look at their former woes..

Otherwise, love the post, love the bruins, love our team makeup more than ever before.

Onward and Upward!

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:15 PM
mattbnh

Also agree mostly but not with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosikarzzz View Post
But was it Sully’s fault that the defense was stacked with rookies. I mean…Kevin Dallman.
The one thing I can't blame Sullivan for is the lack of quality and experience along the blue line. It is not like he discarded NHL quality defensemen coming out of training camp. That was a MOC-debacle.

Targetting Dallman is off base, I think. In fact, I think losing Dallman on waivers was front office in-season blunder #1, and the ripple effect was the Scatchard-Tanabe trade, which was blunder #2. Dallman played the rest of the season in ST. Louis, which isn't saying that much, but really, Kevin Dallman earned a spot on the team and played as well as any Bruin dman.

The real disappointment was Boynton, whose attitude, holdout, & out-of-shape debut was only outdone by his multitude of bone-head plays and dumb penalties. Couple that with Leetch's dismal performance, Moran's injury, Raycroft's negative confidence, and Sully's treating Alberts like a dog that pee'd on the carpet, and you have a defensive disaster called Bruins.

Without question the ship has been righted and re-floated and the team should be far stronger at the season start.

mattbnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:23 PM
dead_golem

Send a message via AIM to dead_golem
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbnh View Post
Also agree mostly but not with this:
The one thing I can't blame Sullivan for is the lack of quality and experience along the blue line. It is not like he discarded NHL quality defensemen coming out of training camp. That was a MOC-debacle.

Targetting Dallman is off base, I think. In fact, I think losing Dallman on waivers was front office in-season blunder #1, and the ripple effect was the Scatchard-Tanabe trade, which was blunder #2. Dallman played the rest of the season in ST. Louis, which isn't saying that much, but really, Kevin Dallman earned a spot on the team and played as well as any Bruin dman.

The real disappointment was Boynton, whose attitude, holdout, & out-of-shape debut was only outdone by his multitude of bone-head plays and dumb penalties. Couple that with Leetch's dismal performance, Moran's injury, Raycroft's negative confidence, and Sully's treating Alberts like a dog that pee'd on the carpet, and you have a defensive disaster called Bruins.

Without question the ship has been righted and re-floated and the team should be far stronger at the season start.

From the roster creation, all the blame goes to MOC. He built the team, not sully. However, some inexperience was certainly there on Sully's part as he treated it like any other camp, giving rookies long looks rather than trying to set a roster and promote cohesion; never mind his piss-poor job of prepping his guys for the rule changes.

I also agree that if you were picking Dallman you're on the wrong path..he was hardly our worst guy, and of all the rookies he was getting the most ice....so thats saying something.

However, I think that you more meant giving ice time to dallman when we had other more key guys who weren't ready to go was an issue. and if thats what you were saying, i agree with you.

Also...
Quote:
I wonder how Kessel-Savard-Murray line working out.
I wonder too...except, of the three, only kessel is in mini-camp. I believe Glen Murray works out in LA until regular camp starts, no idea where Marc Savard is...

From Today's Globe:

Kessel joined a group of veterans who started skating Monday, led by defenseman Zdeno Chara, who looked intimidating in his all-black outfit (other skaters wore white-and-gold jerseys above their black pants). Other players included Brad Boyes, Wayne Primeau, Brad Stuart, Paul Mara, Jay Leach, Bobby Allen, Martins Karsums, Tim Thomas, and Hannu Toivonen.

dead_golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:45 PM
TheRealness

I thought Jack Handy was going to make an appearance....

nice post.

TheRealness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

I like the post, exactly my thoughts more or less. I too think we could use a tough guy who can play. But its not a big deal. Hopefully our pp will be good enough to deter other teams from intimidating us with goons. And if push comes to shove we got Chara and some other muckers that can step up and answer the bell. We should just worry about team toughness and don't worry about individual goons. I love this new team, great potential and character. Go Bruins!!

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Silva

Send a message via AIM to Silva
great post can't wait til the puck drops on the 6th!!!

Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 01:02 PM
ap3lovr

I'm just gonna say this now and let people flame me all they want.
.................................................. .....................

Kessel will be Rookie of the Year

Kessel will put up over 100 points

Just want to Add that I think Ray Bourque and Cam Neely should show up at one of these Mini Camps, really get the guys blood flowing.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 01:26 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
good stuff- remember though, if you like what we have from a new management team to new players then last year had to happen. I do hope there is stability going forward because this turnover was about as big as you can get- heck, about the only two things they didn't do was change the team name and Jacobs sell. The second though was about as close as you can get without selling as Charlie Jacobs has his finger prints all over this team whereas before he clearly was observing more.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 01:29 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post

Just want to Add that I think Ray Bourque and Cam Neely should show up at one of these Mini Camps, really get the guys blood flowing.
one thing you need to watch is how Kessel reacts to physical play. In the past he was a big fish in a small pond and people didn't make as much contact as they could have or should have out of respect or whatever, and he had the speed to get away. That is over. He is going to be tested right away and he better be ready because they are going to be looking for old (or is it new) 81.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 02:21 PM
whatsbruin

Quote:

I'll be the first to admitt I don't know Jack about Phil.
But I'll be pleasantly surprised if he is any where near 100 pts.

If he gets 60 pts, and developes as the year goes on especially into the
2nd and 3rd round of the playoffs
then I'll be more than happy.

As long as he is a legit threat to score on the 2nd line, then he'll help
ease Murrays burden, and will help spread the scoring around two lines.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 07:34 PM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

Nice post, as stated already.

Kessel 100pts? Well, if you ask me, and I know you are not 'cause you don't know me, but I'd say for him to crack 100 or there abouts, he would have to be riding shotgun with PB and BB..... not that there's anything wrong with that.

gvkmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvkmedia View Post
Nice post, as stated already.

Kessel 100pts? Well, if you ask me, and I know you are not 'cause you don't know me, but I'd say for him to crack 100 or there abouts, he would have to be riding shotgun with PB and BB..... not that there's anything wrong with that.
I agree, but even then it should not be an expectation. If he nets 20-25 and gets 60 points I will be more than thrilled.

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:

Cam could certainly get the guys blood flowing, but Bourque? How is a 300 lb former defeseman going to inspire anyone? He looks like Lenny Clark.

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 10:51 PM
mattbnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
Cam could certainly get the guys blood flowing, but Bourque? How is a 300 lb former defeseman going to inspire anyone? He looks like Lenny Clark.
Ray is just beefing up for an appearance on "Rescue Me" as Lenny's brother. (kidding, but not a bad idea, is it?)

mattbnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Shinny

Quote:
I saw something that explains why Bourque may have gained a couple pounds. I was flipping through channels and stopped when I saw Bourque on NECN's TV Diner show. He's part owner of a North End Restaurant, Tresca, and said that he loves his food and wine. He's probably enjoying eating the things he avoided when he was a conditioned athlete.

I wonder if the restaurant will become a hang-out for B's players. It looks a little too upscale for me to hang out in after a game. The lobster tart looked good but it's about 4 inches round.

Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 03:05 PM
don

Quote:
Saw Jay Miller on Charlie Moore last night. Talk about overweight. He looked as round as he did tall. Must be his own cooking that's doing it.

don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 03:19 PM
wevegotalotoflosses

Quote:

maybe we should all post a bunch of things that may or may not happen, so that if we get lucky and one of them does happen, we can link to the post and feel smart. I will try one:

wevegotalotoflosses will know Anna Kournikova biblically

this is fun!

wevegotalotoflosses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 03:26 PM
stick9

Quote:

Really, so you put Kessel in the same class as Crosby and Ovechkin?

Word to the wise. Keep your expectations realistic and you won't be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno
Great thoughts..

Additions?

MOC errors on Rolston as well.

No matter what people think of Rolston, he was a very important PK and PP guy - also had amazing speed.

The loss of Rolston was felt thru the entire roster..
How quickly we forget just how bad he was in the Montreal series. He's less then a .50 point per game guy in the post season.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote