HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rivet wish to stay in MTL

Old
08-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Stone Cutter

vCash: 500
Rivet wish to stay in MTL

Sorry if this was posted before, I haven't see it yet.

http://radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey...bs-rivet.shtml

According to this, Rivet wish to stay in MTL and is willing to start negociating an extention righ now. He sees a great future for this team and would like to be part of it. The writer expect Rivet to ask a raise from the 2.47 millions he got last year.

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:13 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I would keep Rivet at the same price.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Talent Analyst

Rivet not worth more than 2.47

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Darz

Although 99% of players will say they want to stay with their current team, even if they don't, I believe this is a case where the player is 100% truthful.

Rivet has spend his whole career to date in Montreal, so you have to imagine he has some pretty deep roots. I would be happy if an extension for Rivet could get done early, so Gainey will have one less concern next summer.

Anything under $3.0M a year for two/three years would be great, imo.

08-30-2006, 12:16 PM
bigmcbob

If he wants a raise the HABS should move on and trade him now. I love Rivet but he is an expensive D-man even now.

bigmcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Le depisteur

2.75M$ would be fair...

And a 3.5M$ for Markov would be great!

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Stone Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmcbob View Post
If he wants a raise the HABS should move on and trade him now. I love Rivet but he is an expensive D-man even now.
Just to be clear... He's not asking yet for a raise... the Writer "speculate" that he'll be asking for one... so at this point, we have no clue as to what he's asking really

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:20 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Although 99% of players will say they want to stay with their current team, even if they don't, I believe this is a case where the player is 100% truthful.

Rivet has spend his whole career to date in Montreal, so you have to imagine he has some pretty deep roots. I would be happy if an extension for Rivet could get done early, so Gainey will have one less concern next summer.

Anything under $3.0M a year for two/three years would be great, imo.
I agree anything under 3M should be great.Hope his contract is extended soon.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmcbob View Post
When you look at some of the contracts given out to dman that I would say are equal to or less than Rivet, he doesn't seem expensive to me. Not a bargain either mind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
2.75M$ would be fair...

And a 3.5M$ for Markov would be great!
I would be happy with both those. If I were Gainey I would start working on the Markov and Rivet situations right away. I might hold off on the Souray one for awhile mind you. Souray, imo, is a little more boom or bust thatn the other two.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:25 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
I love the heart and character Craig brings to the rink every night. He's become a steady player for us over the years. I'm not willing to give him a raise though. In fact, I feel his current contract is too much. It's unlikely he'll accept a paycut though, so if we can lock him up at the same amount I'd be okay with that.

The decision Gainey and company have to make is not easy. They have to find money to retain Markov. They have to decide whether or not they want to keep Souray. They have Komisarek, Dandeneault, and Bouillon. Does management retain Craig, or do they look to upgrade? Can they retain him and upgrade the defence? It's not easy to say.

I would be hesitant to start negotiating now. Play out some of the season at least.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:26 PM
ti-vite

If he gets an extension right away, the present habs cap will be affected (I think this is true). Don't see how Gainey would do this so early. Maybe in January...

Same for markov, and he should get a HUGE raise, so don't expect an extension I guess. He' ll try and re-sign next off season.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Sounds hopeful, if generally sort of expected. I would not be super-keen on seeing Rivet get more than $3M either, but on the open market he might well be able to get it.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:31 PM
tinyzombies

Paycut or status quo and I'm ok with it. Otherwise, NO. I also think they should further reduce his responsibilities to make him more effective. We need another puck mover too! When are we gonna get one Bob?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:35 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

as much as i love rivet, and do wish to see him on our team next year, i think a glaring issue is markov. on the scale of who i want to retain right now, i'd say markov has a higher priority then rivet. signing rivet to an extension right now would be great, but theres still markov who is a key element of our defence, that we have to save money for because i expect him to want a raise. and possibly souray, too.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:36 PM
SerialSeb

There's the rub.

We may not be willing to offer anything over 3M, but there are quite a few teams that would.

Rivet type D is a valued commodity now a days.

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:37 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=5860

Rivet>>>Ward

At 2,75M long term, I'd be more than fine.

Just trade Souray for a young guy who's promising and cheap and we can pay both Markov and Rivet some big money. Anyway, At the price we're paying Dandy and Bouillon, they better be ready to step it up.

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Mad Habber

It makes more sense for Markov and Souray to gamble and wait until after Jan 1st. This way they can take advantage of a great first half of the season if they have it. If not, they can ask for a slight raise or test the market. Not much of a gamble if you ask me. With Rivet, it's a little different. What you see is what you get. His numbers are not going to get any better (not by a large margin anyways). The other two can have a great offensive season and cash in.

For Rivet, a new contract which takes effect next season, so not to affect the cap (2.4-2.8 I'm ok with). The guy has been here throughout the lean years and the Houle Dark Era. He sees a light at the end of the tunnel, why wouldn't he want to stay.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:42 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
For sure I would take him with open arms. Works hard, puts up a few points and plays strong defensivly. Great dman to have. I like the 2.75M$ mentioned or even a little under.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:46 PM
BigTimer*

2.75 for two years is the limit. He disappeared at the end of the season and played terribly in the playoffs up to the series deciding goal which should of been pinned on him and not Ryder/Huet.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:47 PM
mcphee

I'm a fan of Rivet, and I think he brings a lot to the team. I think he could get 3M on a defense starved team, so it would take pretty close to that to sign him. To get him for less would have to be made up in time, I would think, maybe an extra year. I've always thought Rivet was one of the better 'off' guys in the league. He compliments your best d man and senses how to play off of a more talented guy. Problem is that 3 is a lot to pay for an off guy. However they do it though, hope he sticks around.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
I like Rivet alot and value the leadership and edge he brings to the team. But, he is worth less then 3 Million a season...probably somewhere in the 2.7-2.8 range.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I like Rivet alot and value the leadership and edge he brings to the team. But, he is worth less then 3 Million a season...probably somewhere in the 2.7-2.8 range.

If as a player he is worth 2.7 to 2.8 a year, I'd be willing to give him $3 million because of the extra intangibles he brings to our club. If we resigned him for $3million, I would not be upset.

Jakomyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
I'm expecting Rivet to sign something in the range of a 3 years/3 millions per season deal because of some of the absurd contracts average defencemen have been getting during this off-season.

Right now a defenceman like Rivet, who brings leadership, a veteran presence, a steady defensive play and some offense from times to times, is worth around 3 millions.

I'm very worried about Rivet, Souray and especially Markov.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Dragon

I won't keep Rivet for more than 2.25M. He is not that good in the new NHL.

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
I won't keep Rivet for more than 2.25M. He is not that good in the new NHL.
He had a better season and his play was better last season in the new NHL.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote