HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Late report card

Closed Thread

Old
11-15-2003, 09:56 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Late report card

Good effort considering it was their 7th game in 12 nights and you could tell the legs weren't there as the evening progressed. These are the type of games where you take the two points and run.

PP was putrid. No other word to describe it. Good effort on the PK though and of course our goaltender was the best penalty killer.

Bergeron - Like his game tonight, didn't think he would see the ice again after missing a check and crashing dangerously into the boards. Loved his passes out of the zone most of the evening. Great play on the OT goal. He made a couple of bad plays but all in all a good night.

Brewer - Made some nice offensive forays this evening and played fairly well defensively.

Chimera - Has a couple of gritty shifts, wasn't scared to get his nose dirty and a chippy, sometimes dirty game.

Conklin - First star again tonight and unlucky on the one goal that did get past him. Salo you have some competition my man.

Cross - Simple game again but got beat a few times, almost cost us big time when he got beat on the icing. But Brewer should have been holding back the Calgary defender.

Dvorak - Had some good rushes and made some good plays, wasn't as noticeable as usual and like most of the Oilers struggled with fatique tonight.

Ferguson - Didn't really notice him and for him this is a compliment.

Hemksy - Made a couple of good passes but was easily knocked off the puck tonight, a sign of fatique.

Horcoff - Didn't really notice him and when I did it wasn't pretty. Enough said!

Laraque - Had some good shifts early in the game that helped the hockey team gain momentum. Was happy with his game tonight.

Moreau - Liked the way he threatened Oliwa when he was in the penalty box. Oliwa was taking liberties before that, to be honest after Moreau threatened him he wasn't a factor. Did they show that on TV? Made some good hits. Showed why he is one of the leaders of this team tonight.

Pisani - Wonderful defensive player again tonight.

Smith - Solid game as usual.

Smyth - I hate him at centre for most of the night he looked lost and kept on trying the same play on every faceoff, trying to move it forward. But showed wonderful hustle to beat out the Calgary defender and give York someone to pass too.

Staios - Solid game.

Stoll - Was on the energy line, loved that whole line this evening especially early.

Salmelainen - See above. Adds good speed to keep pucks in play for that line.

Torres - Not as noticeable tonight but did lay out some good body checks.

York - Excellent game, he was flying all night. I thought he was easily the best Oiler forward tonight by a country mile.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:08 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Moreau - Liked the way he threatened Oliwa when he was in the penalty box. Oliwa was taking liberties before that, to be honest after Moreau threatened him he wasn't a factor. Did they show that on TV? Made some good hits. Showed why he is one of the leaders of this team tonight.
Yep! That's the truth... I couldn't really read his lips, but from the way he was motioning his stick, I think it was something along the lines of "clean it up or you'll be force fed this stick of mine next time you're on the ice you no talent, no future goon!"

Does that sound like what you guy would guess he said?

Old
11-15-2003, 10:09 PM
OYLer

Good summary spaz44, were you at the game? I tube all bye my lonesome at my city work hovel.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:10 PM
hockeyaddict101

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Good summary spaz44, were you at the game? I tube all bye my lonesome at my city work hovel.
I am at every home game.

Old
11-15-2003, 10:24 PM
OYLer

Quote:
I am at every home game.
Good to hear, I'm only able to go to games when I'm in town not working. But I've been to or seen every game including the last exhibition so far this year. Home and away. The Live Ice is still usually worth the price of admission.

Old
11-16-2003, 04:01 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Good effort considering it was their 7th game in 12 nights and you could tell the legs weren't there as the evening progressed. These are the type of games where you take the two points and run.

PP was putrid. No other word to describe it. Good effort on the PK though and of course our goaltender was the best penalty killer.

Bergeron - Like his game tonight, didn't think he would see the ice again after missing a check and crashing dangerously into the boards. Loved his passes out of the zone most of the evening. Great play on the OT goal. He made a couple of bad plays but all in all a good night.

Brewer - Made some nice offensive forays this evening and played fairly well defensively.

Chimera - Has a couple of gritty shifts, wasn't scared to get his nose dirty and a chippy, sometimes dirty game.

Conklin - First star again tonight and unlucky on the one goal that did get past him. Salo you have some competition my man.

Cross - Simple game again but got beat a few times, almost cost us big time when he got beat on the icing. But Brewer should have been holding back the Calgary defender.

Dvorak - Had some good rushes and made some good plays, wasn't as noticeable as usual and like most of the Oilers struggled with fatique tonight.

Ferguson - Didn't really notice him and for him this is a compliment.

Hemksy - Made a couple of good passes but was easily knocked off the puck tonight, a sign of fatique.

Horcoff - Didn't really notice him and when I did it wasn't pretty. Enough said!

Laraque - Had some good shifts early in the game that helped the hockey team gain momentum. Was happy with his game tonight.

Pisani - Wonderful defensive player again tonight.

Smith - Solid game as usual.

Smyth - I hate him at centre for most of the night he looked lost and kept on trying the same play on every faceoff, trying to move it forward. But showed wonderful hustle to beat out the Calgary defender and give York someone to pass too.

Staios - Solid game.

Stoll - Was on the energy line, loved that whole line this evening especially early.

Salmelainen - See above. Adds good speed to keep pucks in play for that line.

Torres - Not as noticeable tonight but did lay out some good body checks.

York - Excellent game, he was flying all night. I thought he was easily the best Oiler forward tonight by a country mile.
Good assessment as usual. The two players I'm disappointed with the most right now is Horcoff and Chimera. Don't get me wrong, it's not like they've hurt the club as far as their defensive play. In the absence of MC, alot of people thought these two (especially Horc after last year) would step up. I don't think they have. Season still young, but I hope when the Oilers get healthy, Salmo is still with this club.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:14 AM
Mr Sakich

do you guys remember the comment mact said about rita when he sent him to toronto?

"the play seems to die when he touches the puck"

right now, that is horcoff. He kills every oiler possesion.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:16 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
do you guys remember the comment mact said about rita when he sent him to toronto?

"the play seems to die when he touches the puck"

right now, that is horcoff. He kills every oiler possesion.
I agree 100%. He's holding the stick a bit too tight.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:24 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Am I the only one who wishes you could decline a penalty (a la football)? The powerplay is just that bad! Since you can't decline in hockey, why not just retaliate when you see they are getting a penalty and play some 4 on 4 hockey. The Oilers seem to be good at that .

Old
11-16-2003, 06:04 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
Am I the only one who wishes you could decline a penalty (a la football)? The powerplay is just that bad! Since you can't decline in hockey, why not just retaliate when you see they are getting a penalty and play some 4 on 4 hockey. The Oilers seem to be good at that .
Denis Potvin wrote a great editorial in the Hockey News about giving the non-offending team the option of a power play or a penalty shot when a penalty is called. Very well thought out, and a very good idea. The flow of some games is really hurt by too many power plays, and every year, there have been a higher percentage of penaly shots that netted goals than with power plays.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:48 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Denis Potvin wrote a great editorial in the Hockey News about giving the non-offending team the option of a power play or a penalty shot when a penalty is called. Very well thought out, and a very good idea. The flow of some games is really hurt by too many power plays, and every year, there have been a higher percentage of penaly shots that netted goals than with power plays.
Penalty shots are great and all, but watching a guy punch a guy for no reason at all (or in retaliation) is much more entertaining. Not only that, but teams would think twice about hacking Yorkie's hands if he just retaliated and punched him back. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but it would be a) entertaining, and b) a fairly effective deterrent .... oh, and c) would likely keep Georges VERY busy scrapping all the angry opponents.

It would be like "OLD TIME HOCKEY!"

Old
11-16-2003, 06:53 AM
Hairball

I'm beginning to think that you might have something here. We have an enforcer. By all accounts, when he does, he is the best in the league. All it would take is for the other team to take a penalty, and BG to throw 1 punch as the third man in. If they continue a fight, then he can go at it. If not, he gets a roughing penalty and 4 on 4 here we come.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:17 AM
Allan

Quote:
Penalty shots are great and all, but watching a guy punch a guy for no reason at all (or in retaliation) is much more entertaining. Not only that, but teams would think twice about hacking Yorkie's hands if he just retaliated and punched him back. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but it would be a) entertaining, and b) a fairly effective deterrent .... oh, and c) would likely keep Georges VERY busy scrapping all the angry opponents.

It would be like "OLD TIME HOCKEY!"
I agree. Removing the instigator rule would be far more effective at keeping that stuff out of the game, but the penalty shot thing seems more likely at this point.

The easiest solution would be to actually call the rules as written, and let the players adapt, but apparently this is too somple and obvious.

Rule 64 Hooking
Hooking is the act of using the stick in a manner that enables a player to restrain an opponent.

How many times do we see that in an average minute? 3, 4 times? more?

Rule 67 Interference
This Rule shall be a point of emphasis for the 1998-99 season. (a) A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck. (b) A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who restrains an opponent who is attempting to "forecheck." (c) A minor penalty shall be imposed on an attacking player who deliberately checks a defensive player who is not in possession of the puck.

Or these? Why do people keep saying we need new rules, or rule changes? The rules currently in place, if enforced properly, would make the trap far less effective. The non-calling of interference, hooking, holding, and other obstruction calls is what has changed in the NHL game in the last ten years. Once the players had adapted to playing in a league which actually enforces its rules, we would have much more wide open hockey, and without an instigator rule, there would be accountability, too, so there would be fewer penalties and more goals.

Enough for now.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:18 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Remember the thread about Torres not hitting enough?

I had mentioned that he doesn't throw a hit that will take him out of the play, but he will hit every opportunity he can when it is available?

Last night was a perfect example.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:20 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I agree. Removing the instigator rule would be far more effective at keeping that stuff out of the game, but the penalty shot thing seems more likely at this point.

The easiest solution would be to actually call the rules as written, and let the players adapt, but apparently this is too somple and obvious.

Rule 64 Hooking
Hooking is the act of using the stick in a manner that enables a player to restrain an opponent.

How many times do we see that in an average minute? 3, 4 times? more?

Rule 67 Interference
This Rule shall be a point of emphasis for the 1998-99 season. (a) A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck. (b) A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who restrains an opponent who is attempting to "forecheck." (c) A minor penalty shall be imposed on an attacking player who deliberately checks a defensive player who is not in possession of the puck.

Or these? Why do people keep saying we need new rules, or rule changes? The rules currently in place, if enforced properly, would make the trap far less effective. The non-calling of interference, hooking, holding, and other obstruction calls is what has changed in the NHL game in the last ten years. Once the players had adapted to playing in a league which actually enforces its rules, we would have much more wide open hockey, and without an instigator rule, there would be accountability, too, so there would be fewer penalties and more goals.

Enough for now.
That is far too easy...

Why call the rules, that would put pressure on the Zebras, and we can't have that.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:25 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
That is far too easy...

Why call the rules, that would put pressure on the Zebras, and we can't have that.
The most frustrating part is that it would actually put less pressure on them. If they were calling everything, there would be less of the judgment calls - none of the "if that guy pulled on the other guy with his stick, do I call it or don't I, since he only made him stumble, but not fall down". A simple yes or no makes it an easier call - simply did it happen or not, as opposed to if it happened, was it serious enough to call.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:32 AM
H-Bear

There is one major problem with calling the rules by the book. It can be summed up by one word:

Foresberg

Losers like him dive left right and centre when they know they are going to attract a hooking or interference call. Maybe in the two ref system, the 1st ref could call the game, and the 2nd ref could be the anti-diving police; or perhaps make diving a 10 minute misconduct, in which case the both the refs linesmen could make the call.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:51 AM
Digger12

Quote:
There is one major problem with calling the rules by the book. It can be summed up by one word:

Foresberg

Losers like him dive left right and centre when they know they are going to attract a hooking or interference call. Maybe in the two ref system, the 1st ref could call the game, and the 2nd ref could be the anti-diving police; or perhaps make diving a 10 minute misconduct, in which case the both the refs linesmen could make the call.
You know, I LIKE the idea of a 10 minute misconduct for diving. Holds a fair bit more weight than a 2 minute minor IMO.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:34 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Yep! That's the truth... I couldn't really read his lips, but from the way he was motioning his stick, I think it was something along the lines of "clean it up or you'll be force fed this stick of mine next time you're on the ice you no talent, no future goon!"

Does that sound like what you guy would guess he said?
I saw something like "I am gonna kick your @@@ - I am gonna smack you in the mouth with my @#$%#@% stick A@#$H)*!!" It was on the clock and the crowd went nuts. Good for Moreau standing up to that loser - Laraque wasn't on the ice during any of his annoying situations.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:37 AM
Walsher

Ryan Smyth was pretty average tonight but I thought it was a wierd line makeup placing him between Moreau and Pisani as the centerman against Calgary's most offensive line. Really not the appropriate situation for Smyth. He did grind and plug pretty well all night and the effort on the game winner proves his desire tonight. Some poor decisions on the pp and from behind Calgary's net but all and all a much more consistent performance based on the role he had been placed in. Very character win - they were outworked, outhustled and out played basically all night other than a couple shifts in the second. You could really see how sluggish the Oilers were but to be able to battle it out for an important win was nice to see.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Allan

Quote:

Foresberg

I think that diving would be less of a problem, actually. If a small hook was called, then there would be no need to embellish the call, since there would be a penalty as soon as he tugged with the stick.

Closed Thread