HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Michal Rozsival

Old
08-30-2006, 11:49 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Michal Rozsival

The purpose of this thread if to gauge the value of Michal Rozsival on the trade market. He will turn 28 yo on 9/23 and comes signed for 2 years at a cap hit of $2.1 million.

Last year he scored 5g and 25a and finished with an outstanding +35.

The reason why I bring this up is that there is somewhat of a logjam on defense for the Rangers. With 8 defenseman signed (Malik, Rozsival, Kasparaitis, Tyutin, Rachunek, Ward, Ozolinsh and Richter) there is no room for a rookie (most notably Staal or Ivan Baranka) to make the team out of camp, and there have been persistent rumors that the Rangers are working on a deal to bring Brian Leetch back to Broadway to finish out his career.

Is Rozsival at all attractive to any other NHL teams, and if so what would you be willing to trade to get him?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 12:05 AM
flambers

Why would the Rangers deal a guy that was +35? Obviously he had a great season. I would think the other dman are more of a target.

flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 12:07 AM
Fleury14
Remember the Kipper

Is Ozo actually coming back?

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 12:09 AM
Ike Thermite

Roszival isn't anything special. If you can find somebody dumb enough to overrate him for his +/- last year it's definitely something to look into. I can't see his value ever being any higher.

What would I trade for him? Not much, but the Sens have a pretty full D. If we were needing, probably something like Barinka, Zubov or a second rounder.

Ike Thermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 12:28 AM
Coug555

BTW, he is born on Sept 3 on 23, I know this cuz we have the same birthday.

Coug555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 08:10 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
and there have been persistent rumors that the Rangers are working on a deal to bring Brian Leetch back to Broadway to finish out his career.
Not really persistant. The first actual report of Leetch's agent talking to the Rangers was in an article yesterday. Before that, it was pretty much stated the Rangers hadn't talked to Leetch and weren't showing any interest.

And with yesterday's article being by Dellapina (who has a huge man-crush on Leetch) and looking like a slick way of covering up a story that more acurately goes "Leetch can't find a team that really wants to sign him, so he's finally pestering the Rangers again despite his "dislike" of Sather", I'm not sure there's any real substance to the Leetch to Rangers idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
Is Ozo actually coming back?
he's out for at least the first several months. He had knee surgery last month or so and won't start the season. I'm not sure what happens to him after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Why would the Rangers deal a guy that was +35? Obviously he had a great season. I would think the other dman are more of a target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig4 View Post
Roszival isn't anything special. If you can find somebody dumb enough to overrate him for his +/- last year it's definitely something to look into. I can't see his value ever being any higher.
That's pretty much why. His value is probably the highest it has been and will be, and while he's not terrible (Ranger fans tend to overexaggerate his play a bit) his +35 is rather disproportionate to his actual defensive abilities. Plus he doesn't add a ton of offense...he's really a more middle of the road guy who's pretty good when he's on top of his game.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 08:55 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
That's pretty much why. His value is probably the highest it has been and will be, and while he's not terrible (Ranger fans tend to overexaggerate his play a bit) his +35 is rather disproportionate to his actual defensive abilities. Plus he doesn't add a ton of offense...he's really a more middle of the road guy who's pretty good when he's on top of his game.
agreed - but even with the inflated contracts going around, rozsival is overpaid for what he brings to the table.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 09:00 AM
TheRedressor

Rozsival doesn't do anything special really.

He has decent offensive skills.

He actully has excellent defensive skills.

His only downfall the past season was his transformation into the walking hooking penalty.

Good solid #3 defenseman.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post

I'd take issue with that. His defensive skills aren't excellent. They're good, when he's playing consistantly. He didn't play consistantly last year, and that was part of the reason so many people disliked him. He started off the year pretty rough and left a lot people questioning the Rangers decision to bring him in. Then he found his groove and played good hockey. Then he fell apart, much like rest of the team. At best, he played 1/3 of a season of real good hockey.

I'm also not sure how someone can be excellent defensively but also be called out for taking too many hooking penalties. Many of the hooking penalties he took were because he got out of position or was caught flat footed. Not usually signs of an excellent defensive defenseman.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 10:25 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Rozsival doesn't do anything special really.

His only downfall the past season was his transformation into the walking hooking penalty.

no way - he's decent at best. if he were that good, pittsburgh would never have let him walk for nothing. personally, i saw the guy as benefitting from his environment for the most part. sure, he played some really good hockey, but not game-in, game-out. he was exposed later in the season, as i expected.

Old
08-31-2006, 11:02 AM
TheRedressor

I disagree because for a 30-40 game span he was amazing. Then he just fell off the face of this earth. Hence the inconsistancy

Old
08-31-2006, 11:50 AM
hfgreg
Obviously...

Ehh, I follow the Pens preety closely and never really liked his style of play, I didn't watch the Rangers very much last year though. But from what I know he's not worth that much.

hfgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 12:35 PM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Quote:

Allow me to fix that for you...

He actually has horrible defensive skills.

Good solid #5 and #6 defenseman.

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
He walks when he takes hooking penalties? Well, there's the problem right there, if he put on skates, he'd be better able to catch up and not have to hook'em.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 02:07 PM
flambers

Wow, quite the thread. So let me get this right. He was +35 but he is overrated and is not very offensive and not great defensively.

I bet lots of team would be willing to take this guy from the Rangers team.

Stats from 2005-2006

Offense - 30 Points - 1st (NYR Dman) and 8th overall on the team
+/- +35 - 1st (Rangers)

Old
08-31-2006, 02:25 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Wow, quite the thread. So let me get this right. He was +35 but he is overrated and is not very offensive and not great defensively.

Stats from 2005-2006

+/- +35 - 1st (Rangers)
pavel bure was a +35 in 1992-93. does that mean he was good defensively?

Old
08-31-2006, 04:24 PM
flambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
pavel bure was a +35 in 1992-93. does that mean he was good defensively?
Any player that is +35 is doing something right. Bure you quoted in 1992 was awesome..... Great comparison!!.............LOL

Old
08-31-2006, 09:09 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Any player that is +35 is doing something right. Bure you quoted in 1992 was awesome..... Great comparison!!.............LOL
yes - sometimes doing right means being on the ice with great players (rozy played with jagr most of the season - he and malik were out there a ton at the same time with JJ's line).

are you telling me that pavel bure was awesome defensively in 1992?? sure, the guy was an offensive dynamo, but i think you're missing my point

Old
08-31-2006, 09:46 PM
Yureeka47*

Send a message via MSN to Yureeka47*
Come on! I want to hear some proposals for Rozy!

Yureeka47* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 05:33 AM
gaglinefan

Quote:

Stats from 2005-2006

+/- +35 - 1st (Rangers)
Please understand taht Rosvival played on the ice with Jagr most of the time and had a big +/- rating. At times he looked solid, other times scary. Like any better player consistency is what he needs, if so he is an adequate #3 or 4 imho. It is hard to believe tha Rangers would trade him this year, he is paired with Malik and they work well together (eg. Malik bails him out a lot lol).

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 06:58 AM
Ola

Quote:

Stats from 2005-2006

+/- +35 - 1st (Rangers)
Every Ranger fan posting here about Rozival have a point. Rangerfans are very knowledgeble.

BUT they are also at the same time are extremely tough on defensemens. During the seven years of hell them/we endured the players that where booed in MSG where Bruce Driver, Peter Popovic, Tom Poti and Igor Ulanov. I am sure I left a pair of D's out, but the facts remains that we probably had the slowest and laziest groups of forwards and not a single C, LW or RW where booed. We never played any kind of defensive system and our D where always left out to dry. Still only D's where booed.

I think it origns from the 94' season. Leetch-Beuke, Lowe-Zubov and Karpotsev-Wells played just fantastic hockey back then. They won us the cup. The results are that now any D who aren't really physical or extremely good offensivly or under 23 y/o never are seen as a decent D by many Ranger fan. According to many Rangerfans a hockey player is a decent D if he plays like Kevin Lowe or Sergei Zubov, and he is a great D if he plays like Leetch or Beukeboom. Just check any gameday trade over at the NYR page, after a goal is scored against NYR one D will get "killed" by 20 fans. From my point of view 6 goals in avg are scored in a hockey game, pretty much all of them because "misstakes". Rozival pretty much never really struggled last season. If a forward in NY screws up on a breakaway, fans goes like "darn". If D screws up on a transition play he is in fact the worst D to ever play the game... Rozival is a D who benefited from playing with nice players, but also should be credited for the way he handled the oppertunity.

Another factor is that many fans in NY never really have followed a team with a decent defensive system. The last 12 years in the NHL teams have attacked with 5 players and defended with 5 players. In the game of hockey there are 3 forwards on the ice at one time, and 2 defenders. A typical scenario is when a NYR D are covering his man behind the net, the other NYR D is covering his man in the corner, and Michael Nylander aren't covering his man infront of the net, a goal is scored and a bunch of fans goes like "how stupid can this D be?", "gooing behind the net and leaving somebody open infront of the net?".

Last edited by Ola: 09-01-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 07:13 AM
MALKIN IS GOD !!!!!!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yureeka47 View Post
Come on! I want to hear some proposals for Rozy!
There are no proposals cause no one wants him. If you guys had bought him out - I would invite him to camp but thats about it.

MALKIN IS GOD !!!!!!* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 08:01 AM
TheRedressor

Bought him out? He was an RFA

Old
09-01-2006, 11:20 AM
bmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I'd take issue with that. His defensive skills aren't excellent. They're good, when he's playing consistantly. He didn't play consistantly last year, and that was part of the reason so many people disliked him. He started off the year pretty rough and left a lot people questioning the Rangers decision to bring him in. Then he found his groove and played good hockey. Then he fell apart, much like rest of the team. At best, he played 1/3 of a season of real good hockey.

I'm also not sure how someone can be excellent defensively but also be called out for taking too many hooking penalties. Many of the hooking penalties he took were because he got out of position or was caught flat footed. Not usually signs of an excellent defensive defenseman.

He did start outrough, but picked it up admirably in the middle months of the season. He was hardly the only Ranger who underperformed down the stretch, but he played more games and a lot more minutes than he ever has in his career, so it could be he just wore down.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Brad Winchester.

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote