HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

I'm pessimistic about this year

Old
09-01-2006, 09:02 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
I'm Optimistic About This Year

Hurray for Renny and Maloneyslats! Smart deals this summer have made last years team EVEN BETTER.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 09:08 AM
dupont08

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Hurray for Renny and Maloneyslats! Smart deals this summer have made last years team EVEN BETTER.
We'll see if you are cheering Renney when Dawes has a huge camp and he sends him to the minors and plays worthless Hossa, Wards and Betts over him.

dupont08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 09:38 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont08 View Post
We'll see if you are cheering Renney when Dawes has a huge camp and he sends him to the minors and plays worthless Hossa, Wards and Betts over him.
Again, you are presuming that Dawes can show more in a 3rd line role than Ward. As for Betts, last time I checked Dawes did not play center. Hossa is a 13th forward on most nights. Do you really want to see Dawed in that position?

I would love nothing more than to have Dawes make this team. But at a minumum, it would have to be on a 3rd line. There really is no point in stunting his development by playing him the least amount of ES minutes out of all the forwards, on the 4th line, don't you think?

As for the 3rd line, he would have to outperform Ward & Hall to get a spot. And not marginally outperform, but greatly outperform. Can he do it? I hope so. I have no delusions about his chances of making the team, no matter how he plays. He could score 10 goals and would still be sent to Hartford. However, I am interested to see if he can indeed show more than Ward & Hall. I think his true chance will come next year. Unless someone has a fairly serious injury this year.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 10:38 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybax View Post
The Rangers lost a piece of their success last season when giving up Moore.
Penguins + Moore = Stanley Cup for the Pens in 07!

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Penguins + Moore = Stanley Cup for the Pens in 07!

Moore carried the team,you dont know what your talking about

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 01:17 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The players you are talking about need to perform better than the ones already here. To say that Ward has "no NHL future" is being overdramatical. He may not be the top-line player that the Habs have hoped when they drafted him, but he HAS shown that he is a capable 3rd line player and a good PKer. Someone like Moore would have to outplay him within such a role to even be considered. And, while I am all for getting deserving youngsters into the lineup as soon as possible, how many times are prospects ready to essentially skip a step by skipping at least a year in the AHL? Not often. Dubinsky and Moore had good AHL playoffs, but I am not convinced that a year of seasoning at the AHL level is not needed here.

Dubinsky would have to ouplay both Betts & Immonen, not to mention Helminen, to place himself into the picture. And outplay them by a considerable margin. I agree that there is not place for a defenseman to make the team this year. However, to state that you see no point in playing someone like Rachunek is a little short-sighted. You forget that he was a fairly highly-touted prospect. It is worth to see what he has. Of the players you mention, only Staal is realistic. And it seems that he is ticketed for Sudbury. Girardi is a long-shot to make the NHL at all and Baranka could use at least a few more months in Hartford.

You really do not have to worry about Ortmeyer as he looks to be out for the year. Hossa is not a big factor as his history shows. Betts is a 4th liner. Do you really want a Dubinsky or a Moore to develop on the 4th line, playing the least amount of ES minutes? The only prospect that fits into that description is Helminen. If the rest are not playing on at least the 3rd line, then they might as well play in Hartford.
Thanks TB, pretty much everything I was thinking. How is it that you and I, some of the biggest proponents for the youth movement, are advocating patiencs in this thread?

Dupont, If you take a look at some of the older pages on the Rangers board you'll see plenty of discussion on these topics. TB and I have had it out with plenty of posters, pleading for room to be left for rookies. Ultimately you can't look at guys like Betts and Ortmeyer as obsticles for Dawes and Immonen, if they make the team it won't be on the 4th line. Rachunek is young enough that he should still be viewed as a guy that can help for years to come, not a vet who will block Staal. I agree with TB's assessment of Rachunek, a promising defenseman that has had some impressive seasons abroad and he might help us... worth a look.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 01:34 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
I think the rangers are a better team this season then last imo. Adding Cullen,Ward,Shanahan,possibly Staal,2nd year for Henke. How can you be pessimistic?

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 01:42 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Thanks TB, pretty much everything I was thinking. How is it that you and I, some of the biggest proponents for the youth movement, are advocating patiencs in this thread?
Anticipation of the weekend clouds judgement.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 02:10 PM
dupont08

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Anticipation of the weekend clouds judgement.
A wise man once said, there is a fine line between patience and stupidity. Renney, Maloney and Sather to me are way on the other side of the line where stupidity looms.

Honestly, I think ever since Blackburn and Maholtra, this team is way to protective of young prospects to the the point where they end up hurting them. I had no problem with Immonen starting at Hartford. Same with Helminen. Both should have been mid season call up's. I just don't think you keep prospects in the minors with lots of talent who work hard until they are 23.

If you are a legit, talented, prospect who isn't playing in Europe and needs to adjust to the style over here, you should be making the NHL by 21-22. I agree that Immonen needed some time in the AHL. He adjusted and should have been brought up.

dupont08 is offline   Reply With Quote