HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

refresh my memory please

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 02:57 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

vCash: 500
refresh my memory please

Lindros was traded from Quebec to Phill and I know Forsberg, Hextall and Ricci were involved... Was Steve Duschane (sp) and who else?

Also I remeber Rangers had apparantly a trade for him as well but it was too late? and Philly got him... Who was involved in that Rangers deal? I cant remember and someone here must know...

Old
11-16-2003, 02:58 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
kerry huffman i believe. plus numerous picks and millions of dollars.. loads of stuff

the rangers had offered a package including weight and amonte i'm sure, and i *think* kovalev was in there.. not sure though

Old
11-16-2003, 02:59 PM
BROADSTREETBULLY

Send a message via AIM to BROADSTREETBULLY Send a message via Yahoo to BROADSTREETBULLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinghorse
Lindros was traded from Quebec to Phill and I know Forsberg, Hextall and Ricci were involved... Was Steve Duschane (sp) and who else?

Also I remeber Rangers had apparantly a trade for him as well but it was too late? and Philly got him... Who was involved in that Rangers deal? I cant remember and someone here must know...
thought Weight or Amonte ....maybe Richter..its ancient history now

i think Chris Simon and Jocelyn Thibault were the players picked with draft choices traded but i could be wrong and probably am

Old
11-16-2003, 03:00 PM
Teemu

Philadelphia Flyers traded Ron Hextall, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994 and cash to the Quebec Nordiques for Eric Lindros.

Old
11-16-2003, 03:08 PM
nathan

I know NYR offered Weight, Amonte and Kovalev. They are stars now, but keep in mind that they were still young, unproven players back then.

Old
11-16-2003, 03:09 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I forgot how bad that was...when you look at what they gave up compared to what they got, it makes you wonder who got the short end of the deal.

Old
11-16-2003, 03:09 PM
BruinFan42

Wow did Philadelphia really throw away things they have really been looking for the past 3 years in that deal:

-A franchise player with pure scoring talent
-A legitimate #1 goaltender
-A premiere checking center

Although Bobby Clarke DID somewhat make up for that deal when he dealt Lindros for Kim Johnsson, and used Pavel Brendl to acquire Sami Kapanen....

But still, that Lindros deal was pretty brutal considering the outcome of Lindros' career and the the careers of Forsberg, Ricci and Thibault

Old
11-16-2003, 03:11 PM
nathan

Lindros was the messiah back then.

Even w/o retrospect, Philly gave up the no.6 overall pick (Forsberg) and then some (a lot of some) to get the no.1 overall pick.

That's how highly rated Lindros was back then.

Old
11-16-2003, 03:19 PM
kira

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan

Even w/o retrospect, Philly gave up the no.6 overall pick (Forsberg) and then some (a lot of some) to get the no.1 overall pick.

Gotta watch those false messiahs, you know...they'll get you in the end.

I wonder if they ever wanted to renege on that deal?

Old
11-16-2003, 03:23 PM
VO #23

Quote:

Who would've known Lindros would become so injury-prone, especially concussions? He was by far one of the most dominant players in the NHL for almost a decade until the concussions and problems with Bobby Clarke all boiled over at the same time. He is a shadow of his former self these days, but would still be the #1 center on probably half the teams in the league.

Bold statement of the day: If Pat LaFontaine can get into the Hall of Fame, Lindros should surely be given consideration.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:19 PM
kira

I'm sure they will consider him, but I don't think he'll be as automatic as LaFontaine was.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42
Wow did Philadelphia really throw away things they have really been looking for the past 3 years in that deal:

-A franchise player with pure scoring talent
-A legitimate #1 goaltender
-A premiere checking center

Although Bobby Clarke DID somewhat make up for that deal when he dealt Lindros for Kim Johnsson, and used Pavel Brendl to acquire Sami Kapanen....

But still, that Lindros deal was pretty brutal considering the outcome of Lindros' career and the the careers of Forsberg, Ricci and Thibault
Yeah, they sure did throw things away, getting a dominate player that completely turned the franchise around. Lindros revamped hockey in Philadelphia and was, prior to his injuries, one of the league's franchise players.

And Clarke didn't make the deal to land him.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

Quote:
I know NYR offered Weight, Amonte and Kovalev. They are stars now, but keep in mind that they were still young, unproven players back then.
Add Vanbesbrouck(Spelled this wrong) to that list.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:36 PM
BruinFan42

I never said Clarke made the deal to land Lindros, I said that he made the deal(s) to make up for all they gave up. Read the post carefully next time.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:40 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42
I never said Clarke made the deal to land Lindros, I said that he made the deal(s) to make up for all they gave up. Read the post carefully next time.
Oh, I read it. Your post implies that he was covering up his own "mistake." You said: "Although Bobby Clarke DID somewhat make up for that deal when he dealt Lindros for Kim Johnsson, and used Pavel Brendl to acquire Sami Kapanen...." Sounds like implication to me. Regardless, I'm real sure that he was thinking "man, I really need to avenge the original Lindros deal" when he made those deals.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:07 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

sooooo... the proposed trade was Kovalev, Amonte, Weight and Vanbezzbrook for Lindros? If so, that a pretty crazy offer for someone who had never played a game in NHL....

Old
11-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...s&pagenumber=1

"The Rangers had offered Tony Amonte, Doug Weight,
Alexei Kovalev, James Patric, John Vanbiesbrouck, three No. 1
draft picks, and $12 million. "

Old
11-16-2003, 06:27 PM
VO #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
I'm sure they will consider him, but I don't think he'll be as automatic as LaFontaine was.
Why not?

Old
11-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
how good was he projeced to be? who was he compared too? i was only a little boy back in 1991-92..

Old
11-16-2003, 06:45 PM
nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
how good was he projeced to be? who was he compared too? i was only a little boy back in 1991-92..
Gretzky but with a mean streak.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:07 PM
BruinFan42

Which concussion do you think was the big blow? The only one that comes to mind is the Stevens hit, but was Lindros fading as far as production went before that?

Old
11-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Freudian
Regress to meanness

vCash: 50
Before his injury problems Lindros was a force out there. He was as dominant as any player in the 90s.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:07 PM
kenabnrmal

Lindros would have gone down as one of the great players of all time. A notch below the Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr trio because he wouldn't be called "magical", like those three would. However, no one combined skill and power the way Lindros did in his prime. The only knock against him was the fact that he hadn't won a Stanley Cup *yet* (an unfair knock made by those desperate to hate him because of the Quebec affair). Quebec/Colorado made a killing on the deal, and as they well should have. Right now it looks like an incredibly ridiculous deal, because Forsberg's at the top of his game, and Eric certainly isn't. They also got a number of other good players in the deal as well. However, Philly got what they wanted (a legitimate, dominant superstar), and had it not been for some managerial oversights (goaltending, defense), they would have had their Cup as well.

Only Lindros' greatest haters could argue that it isn't a shame that he's had the injuries. If not for them he'd be an absolute lock for the hall, and considering undoubtedly one of the greats of all time. Now unless he turns his career around, though I still believe he deserves to get in, its going to be a hell of a debate when his career ends.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:10 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quick stat here:

Until his trade to the New York Rangers, Eric Lindros had the third highest PPG ratio in the history of the sport.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:17 PM
X8oD

If Lindros remained healthy and playing at the rate he was.

id take him over Forsberg, Kovalev, Weight, Amonte, anybody involved in any deal or potential deal.

reguardless of how bad his career is\has been ending. I dont recall anybody who took over a sport like Lindros did. I remember, i think i was in 2nd or 3rd grade. And My elementry school was LITTERED with Lindros Posters. They used him as a poster boy for everything. I had like 4 posters, that i had gotten via those book fair thingies schools did.

he was perfect for hockey, and was key in making it popular in the states again.

hard to imagine how long ago that was. All we see is how much lindros has regressed. Nobody remembers he owned the NHL for a decade.

Closed Thread