HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How long will Ribs be...

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 05:18 AM
Cariboux

vCash: 500
How long will Ribs be...

How long will Ribeiro be the scoring leader of the Habs ?

4 games in a row with an assist and I don't see someone who can can pass him soon

Old
11-16-2003, 05:47 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Well, If Saku plays 65 games, than he should be good for 55-60 points. That is, assuming that he will be in the company of Zednik or a trade is made to land another goal scorer.

Assuming Ribeiro can stay healthy for the year, and play 80 games, I think he should be able to throw up 50 points. Ribs is currently on pace for that number, so assuming he can play consistently with a big body(The Chad), and a guy who can score(Ryder), he should be pretty much a guarantee to be our second-leading scorer.

I've always been a big fan of Ribeiro, obviously it's hard not to fall in love with the kind of things he can do with the puck. But, even if Mike scores 60+ points this year, I don't think we can be too competitive with him at the second line centre spot. Who knows, maybe next year, if he can get himself into the 185lb range, he can change my mind.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:53 AM
RE-HABS

The way Saku is playing I think it is safe to say he won't be repeating last years stats or repeat with the team lead in points, Ribs will be the man to beat.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:10 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
The way Saku is playing I think it is safe to say he won't be repeating last years stats or repeat with the team lead in points, Ribs will be the man to beat.
Saku's playing very well. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't control the sticks of Zednik, Audette, Kilger, and Juneau.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:35 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
He just got back. It takes time to get in synch. It's even harder when you play with somebody who doesnt give a second effort (ie Zednik). Koivu (healthy) will have more points than Ribs... I am sure of that. It's a fact.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:43 AM
Habsaku

If Ribeiro gets 50 points in his first full NHL season on a defensive team, then I'll be very happy. He has improved tremendously over the past few years and theres no reason why he shouldnt continue.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:56 AM
Garnet

Riberio

I am the first to admit I wasn't sure about Riberio ability at the NHL level. But year after year this guy gets better and I now this happens with smaller offensive players. (Breire). He's been great this year so far considering its his first full year in the NHL. I figure 40+ points for him this year. What has impressed me this year is he's throwing the body around,win about half the battles for the puck and is descent in the defensive zone compared to years past. Most impressive player this year so far in Montreal.

Old
11-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
If Ribeiro gets 50 points in his first full NHL season on a defensive team, then I'll be very happy. He has improved tremendously over the past few years and theres no reason why he shouldnt continue.
Agree.
A 50 points season would be a solid basis for him to build self confidence and a decent status in the organization.

Old
11-16-2003, 01:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

50 pts for Ribs would be outstanding, IMO. I thought he played well last night, and overall I have been very impressed for the most part. His lack of strength will continue to cause him problems, but his vision is unreal, and so is his passing.

Old
11-17-2003, 05:57 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Sorry guys, but Mike hasent looked all that great to me this year over the last few years. I just dont think he will ever be strong enough, and his lack of speed also concerns me. His skill is good, but to say that he has excellent vision seems a bit far off to me. A lot of times i have seen him try to make the tough pass rather than the simple pass.BUT thats just my opinion, and yes i have seen almost every game this year, unlike some posters here who seem to know everything after seeing like three games.

Anyways thats my thoughts, PEACE!

Old
11-17-2003, 06:30 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Sorry guys, but Mike hasent looked all that great to me this year over the last few years. I just dont think he will ever be strong enough, and his lack of speed also concerns me. His skill is good, but to say that he has excellent vision seems a bit far off to me. A lot of times i have seen him try to make the tough pass rather than the simple pass.BUT thats just my opinion, and yes i have seen almost every game this year, unlike some posters here who seem to know everything after seeing like three games.

I really don't know what you want people. The kid is the best player for the Habs since the start of the season, he improve, a lot, is defensive coverage and is speed and is the best pointer of the team. He take is share of load in offensive on a team that is strugling in this area. What do you want him to do more then this? Take the place of the goalie? Oh no wait, if we do that everybody will complaing that he try to take Theo place... He will never be Mike Modano or Federov get over it. But I think he can be really usefull for us centering the second line. If he can get 50 pts in is first full year on an offensive line I will be really happy.

People are complaining that the game is boring and as soon as we have a flashy player, they bash him.
People are complaining we are not though enought, but as soon as one player get too many penalty, they bash him.
People complaig that the team don't have any offense and yet they bash Rib who generate some.
If BG would be able to trade Forsberg for a bag of puck, I am pretty sure some people will complaing, saying we pay too much for him...

Old
11-17-2003, 08:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch

I have seen him play a few bad ones, but I've also seen him have some good games. He sees the ice well, and most of the time he makes a good pass, but he does need to learn when to just dump it or when to go for it. I have followed Ribeiro very closely over the years, I have been a big fan of his from his junior days, and I stuck up for him for every year, until this summer when I began to think his lack of lower body strength is too much for him, and his very poor defensive coverage (he doesn't understand the defensive game, where to position himself or using angles and his lack of strength hurts him down low trying to tie up his man)

But I think he's gotten better in his own end, but just getting stronger would go a long way. He seems more aware and working harder in his own end, which is a must for him, cause you must have some type of 2-way skills or you will be replaced at some point.

I think he's a little bit faster and stronger, but he still has a long way to go. One think I like about his play is he seems to shoot a little more, even though his shot is kinda weak (but he has a decent deke) but you also can't be a one way player offensivly. He must shoot more, if not it makes him easier to defend against + goalies can cheat when they know you will pass it (or in Zednik's case, shoot it) Last year I noticed he seemed to look pass way too much, but this year I've seen him shoot it more, (or so it appears to me) even though he has little results in terms of goals, he's not as predictable. Now if he could just put some weight into his shot power, it go better for him.

But I do think his vision is unreal. He can find the open man, and has good puck control at times.

Closed Thread