HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salo

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 07:14 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Salo

The guy is a true pro...

He was interviewd on HNIC, and was asked how his injury was coming along, he said he wasn't sure, then spent the next 2 minutes praising Conklin for how well he has done.

side note...

If Salo lets in that goal last night, people are on here complaining that he handed the Flames a point (similar to the Columbus game).

Old
11-16-2003, 07:44 AM
xauxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
The guy is a true pro...

He was interviewd on HNIC, and was asked how his injury was coming along, he said he wasn't sure, then spent the next 2 minutes praising Conklin for how well he has done.

side note...

If Salo lets in that goal last night, people are on here complaining that he handed the Flames a point (similar to the Columbus game).
What else could Salo say? ....Nothing.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:53 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
side note...

So you think Brewer kicking Conks stick had nothing to do with the play? And you think that had Brewer kicked Salo's stick we would have all gone suddenly blind and ignored the fact? Strikes me as somewhat cynical.

Old
11-16-2003, 08:07 AM
OYLer

Quote:
The guy is a true pro...

I'm in agreement here, Salo was thanked by the After Hours crew for taking the interview. Tommy could have refused the interview but he sucked it up and praise the guy who is intent on taking his job. It was a classy Team-First gesture that rang true. What is so good about what is happening this year is finally the Oilers are experiencing some success even when they have serious injury and holdout problems. This bodes well for the Copper & Blue, inasmuch, that team depth previously a problem is now apparently not as big a problem anymore.

Old
11-16-2003, 08:11 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by xauxi
What else could Salo say? ....Nothing.
The question was something along the lines of "With Conklin's play does it take less pressure off you"

And he commended him a couple of times... he could have said, yeah, he is playing well but I am anxious to get back in.

He went well out of his way to commend Conks (as he should) on the job he has done.

Old
11-16-2003, 08:18 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
So you think Brewer kicking Conks stick had nothing to do with the play? And you think that had Brewer kicked Salo's stick we would have all gone suddenly blind and ignored the fact? Strikes me as somewhat cynical.

Rick Nash is all alone in front of Salo on a power play and makes a nice deflection into the net, and Salo should have stopped it... so yeah, Brewer kicking Salo's stick wouldn't have made a difference because someone would come along with the comment that Salo didn't go down properly, or he went down to early.

I am just trying to bring to light the fact that Tommy took a lot of harsh criticism, some of it just, but a lot of it unjust.

Any time he gave up a tying goal, it was because he can't make a big timely save...

But Conks gives up a tying goal, and it goes by unchallenged.

Also, I would like to address the argument of Salo making $3.9 mil... he gets a lot of flak because of this number, and everyone loves bringing it up.

The fact of the matter is that there is $28 million combined left out there that hasn't been doing their job well either, and for the most part it has been a poor team effort (all $32 mil worth), not just goaltending.

Old
11-16-2003, 08:40 AM
Hairball

I agree wholeheartedly. The biggest problem has not been his play but the team defense as a whole. He has taken a lot of criticism that was not justified. Having said that though, Conklin's on his game just now, and we should ride it till it ends.

Old
11-16-2003, 08:43 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Why has Salo been taking flak while Conklin gets praise?

Oilers Goalies
Player ______GP W L T GAA TOI SV SV% SHO TGA TSA
Tommy Salo_ 12 4 5 2 3.42 649 239 .866 0 37 276
Ty Conklin___ 8 4 2 0 1.88 383 180 .938 1 12 192

Old
11-16-2003, 08:52 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Rick Nash is all alone in front of Salo on a power play and makes a nice deflection into the net, and Salo should have stopped it... so yeah, Brewer kicking Salo's stick wouldn't have made a difference because someone would come along with the comment that Salo didn't go down properly, or he went down to early.

I am just trying to bring to light the fact that Tommy took a lot of harsh criticism, some of it just, but a lot of it unjust.

Any time he gave up a tying goal, it was because he can't make a big timely save...

But Conks gives up a tying goal, and it goes by unchallenged.

Also, I would like to address the argument of Salo making $3.9 mil... he gets a lot of flak because of this number, and everyone loves bringing it up.

The fact of the matter is that there is $28 million combined left out there that hasn't been doing their job well either, and for the most part it has been a poor team effort (all $32 mil worth), not just goaltending.
The bottom line is that Conks is helping to win games the same way Salo did 2 years ago. Even the Calgary coach said that Conks play was exceptional. Read this article if you doubt my claim.

Salo hasn't played that way lately and based on that form if he had played last night and Brewer had kicked his stick it wouldn't have mattered because Calgary would have already had the lead.

For their $32M the Oilers are getting the 8th best offense in the league in terms of goals scored per game but the 28th best (or should that be worst) in terms of goals against. Conks has a GAA of 1.88 while Tommy is at 3.42. The same $28M is playing in front of Conks that plays in front of Salo. The numbers suggest that right now Conklin is playing better and it's time to admit it.

If fiscal responsibilty is an issue with Comrie then it should equally be an issue with Salo.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:27 AM
Asiaoil

All you have to do is just watch the two guys to see the difference.

Conks is on top of his game, sharp, confident and the team sees how well he's playing and draws from it. It's also SO nice to see him helping out the dmen with his stickwork which I'm sure they appreciate.

Salo on the other hand is obviously uncomfortable, way out of the groove and totally lacking confidence. He's the same whether you see him in his street clothes or on the ice. Something is very wrong with him whether its personal or physical.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:45 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Conks played great. Easily the first star. He did everything he possibly he had to in net and he even helped out the PK. On that note though, how many times did the Flames get a good shot from the slot? Or how many times did the Oilers defense try to play goalie and do nothing but dive in front of the net when they should be taking out a shooter? Also, how many times where the flames able to boke at Conks? Not NEARLY as often as what Salo had been facing! Not even CLOSE!1 Most of the shots that Conks faced were perimeter shots - which if not stopped is brutal.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:50 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Conks also faced 7 shots from Iginla....that is kinda scary to me..

Old
11-16-2003, 05:23 PM
elphy101

Quote:
The guy is a true pro...

side note...

Yes, Salo is a true proffessional. A great team orientated classy locker room guy.

The problem is that before the injury, he had the worst #'s in the NHL. Last season, he was in the bottom 5 stats wise amongst NHL starters.
It's a simple as that. Proffessional sports is about performance and Salo has not been performing. Conklin has.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Yes, Salo is a true proffessional. A great team orientated classy locker room guy.

The problem is that before the injury, he had the worst #'s in the NHL. Last season, he was in the bottom 5 stats wise amongst NHL starters.
It's a simple as that. Proffessional sports is about performance and Salo has not been performing. Conklin has.
He was in the bottom 5 in stats and he was playing for the second youngest team in the league, that's not bad. Don't forget that at the beginning of last season we only had 5 d-men here who had played more than 2 nhl games, Salo can't rely on his d-men as much as a guy like Turco who had all-stars and wily vets all around him all the time.

Conks is playing well and I admit that Tommy is in no shape to lead the team right now, but the level of Salo bashing around here over the past two seasons has been totally ludicrous. He's not to be expected to carry this team on his back for $3.9M, there are probably 15 goalies in the nhl who make way more than that.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:05 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Why has Salo been taking flak while Conklin gets praise?

Oilers Goalies
Player ______GP W L T GAA TOI SV SV% SHO TGA TSA
Tommy Salo_ 12 4 5 2 3.42 649 239 .866 0 37 276
Ty Conklin___ 8 4 2 0 1.88 383 180 .938 1 12 192
You are missing his point. Salo deserved criticism, just not the incredibly harsh crap that has been spewed at him.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:22 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
He's not to be expected to carry this team on his back for $3.9M, there are probably 15 goalies in the nhl who make way more than that.
Here is a source webpage of some interest: http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/goalies/art011_e.htm

Old
11-16-2003, 08:32 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Salo has not played to expectations obviously. When you get paid the big bucks and don't produce the pressure from the fans is going to come down 3x's harder. That's simple.

Conks has outplayed our starter *so far* which is great. I expect Edm to continue giving Salo a chance to re-spark.

Trade Salo? We'll get a Mid-pick if we're lucky

SM

Old
11-16-2003, 08:38 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101
Salo has not played to expectations obviously. When you get paid the big bucks and don't produce the pressure from the fans is going to come down 3x's harder. That's simple.

Conks has outplayed our starter *so far* which is great. I expect Edm to continue giving Salo a chance to re-spark.

Trade Salo? We'll get a Mid-pick if we're lucky

SM
I wish we could have your avatar, Billy, back! I guess we will for the heritage classic! He is my all time favorite goalie (no, I'm not saying he's the best, i said FAVORITE!)

Old
11-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Could Salo's injury be more serious than the Oilers are letting on? on ESPN, in Salo's profile, he's mentioned as being out indefinitely. Yesterday, during Satelite hotstove, it was mentioned that the Oilers apparently need a goalie.

11-16-2003, 08:53 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Here is a source webpage of some interest: http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/goalies/art011_e.htm
There are 9 guys on that page currently making more than Tommy, all of the ones on poor teams are struggling, Joseph has had his share of troubles playing for Detroit.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
There are 9 guys on that page currently making more than Tommy, all of the ones on poor teams are struggling, Joseph has had his share of troubles playing for Detroit.
This year, 37 goalies (with no less than 6 games)

Salo:
GAA - 37th overall
Sav % - 37th overall

Just for comparison:

Conks:
GAA - 5th overall
Sav % - 2nd overall

My point here ISN'T to compare but rather than when your making 3.9 Million IN EDMONTON that's the kind of money that's given to a guy who will carry the team or win some games during the season at least. When your rock bottom and guys like Garth Snow are outplaying Salo that's trouble.

Don't compare salaries across the league to how important they are on that team. You could say that a player playing for 4 Million here is the same as 8 Million in Detriot.

SM
PS, Ranford was my all-time favorite and I DO consider him the best ever

Old
11-17-2003, 07:01 AM
LawnDemon

certainly salo doesn't deserver some of the overly harsh criticism - but he does deserve criticism and lots of it. yes, the oilers defense has played better in front of conks but conks has also made some gamebreaker saves. it's a two way street.

anyway, the point isn't to belabor which goalie is better or more professional. obviously salo has the ability to be the better goalie and has shown that to edmonton fans many times. he is a consummate professional and deserves the respect and admiration the oilers faithful have given him in his years here.

but that is no reason to stick with a loser. i respect what salo has given the oilers but he is no longer a number one goalie - he hasn't been for almost two seasons now. these things happen. hell, carey won the vezina one year - where was he three years later?

goalies can "lose it". salo has.

to all of you suggesting he will "get it back" my question is "when and at what cost"? i admire the loyalty that many fans show to salo (and all oiler players) but the bottom line is all about winning. though it sometimes feels like family we have to remember that professional sports is not personal. we make it personal in our admiration for the players (or derision) but the bottom (objective) line is this:

the oilers are a small market team paying a player 3.9 million per season for something they are not getting

thus, it's time for a change. i like tommy and am sad that it has come to this but the writing is on the wall. only the most irrational refuse to admit the obvious...

Old
11-17-2003, 07:13 AM
reg dunlop

If You Guys Hate Salo So Much, Send Him Down To Calgary For Roman Turek... We Have The Bigger Bum Than You Guys. I Like Salo, He Can Get His Game Back At Some Point I Believe..

Old
11-17-2003, 08:04 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Last year the Oilers bought out Dopita. If we can't trade Salo because of his salary can we buy him out? Anyone know for how much?

Old
11-17-2003, 08:14 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Irbe shouldn't be in the expensive backup section. He should be in the "Only millionaire ever to play in the ECHL section."

Closed Thread