HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My top 10 predictions for this year

Old
09-02-2006, 06:21 AM
dupont08

vCash: 500
My top 10 predictions for this year

I'm sure they will get ripped .

10. Rangers fans look at the team and much like in Major League's say, "You know, these guys aren't that F'''n bad."
9. Jagr gets hurt early and the fans then realize the team is that bad.
8. Rangers fans quickly miss the days of Poti as they watch the comedy team of Rachunek and Rosival make our defense look like the Chiefs trying to tackle Tiki Barber.
7. They team finds a way to go on a 8 game hot streak, suckering us to all believe once again.
6. Hot streak ends and Rangers fans pray Sather is trying to dump Rosival and Rachunek
5. Prucha gets hurt
4. Renney should be fired rumblings will start as he continues to play guys with little NHL future because they try hard
3. Maloney and Sather tire of Renney playing guys that try hard and trades Ward,Betts and Hossa for late round picks so the rebuild finally looks legit.
2. The careers of Dawes and Dubinsky begin and they are worshipped by the Garden fans immediately who then become angry and wonder why they had to watch Hossa, Ward and Betts for half the season.
1. We won't make the playoffs.

My unrealistic prediction would be that everything goes right again including the first round of the playoffs and we win a playoff series. This team reminds me very much of the Giants team that made the playoffs one year and stunk the next because they really didn't have a lot of talent and everything went right the year before. Same here. Our defense is really not talented. Our 3rd and 4th lines are basically talent deprived.

dupont08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 07:27 AM
McDonagh27

Umm.. ok? The Rangers have only improved on last years team, without losing any key pieces... They have the talent to be at least an 8th seed this year. Thanks for the insight

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Fletch

The good thing about this season...

is that everything doesn't have to go right like last season in order for this year to be a success. I think that increased competition will benefit the Rangers as the East will be tough and all teams will get beat-up.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 07:52 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

So basically your saying that the entire team is going to return to years past by imploding and not making the playoffs? Sorry but I dont see it, they added too much depth in the scoring dept and solid d-men. Dont forget Renney was a nomine for the Jack Adams award and lets not forget our gold medalist goaltender. All in all I feel confident enough to say there is NO WAY that they do as bad as years past. They could theoretically miss the playoffs, but so could any of the 30 teams in the NHL. If those are your true predictions then thats fine, but those arent realistic.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Melrose_Jr.

If you have a comment about the content of the thread, let's hear it. If you have a comment about the poster, let's not.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 10:47 AM
DarthSather99

This is the first time EVER that I have seen a person predict injuries.....that in itself is rediculous ....

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Synergy27

Just out of curiosity, I would like to know which 8 teams from the east you consider to be better than the Rangers on paper. Paper rosters are all we have to go on right now because predictions like Jagr and Prucha will be injured are really nothing more than pure speculation.

As of right now, the only teams in the East that I can say are clearly better than the Rangers are Ottawa and Carolina. Buffalo is probably better as well but the margin isn't wide enough for me to say that they will definitely have a better season than the Rangers.

Boston and Philadelphia should be improved, but so should the Rangers. Teams like Tampa Bay, Toronto and Montreal will more than likely have very similar seasons to last year. The Devils will be very lucky to repeat last season's success, and while they won't drop off the face of the Earth, they should see atleast a moderate decline unless Lou pulls off an 11th hour miracle.

The Penguins are improved but still not playoff bound. Everyone knows what direction the Islanders are heading in. The loss of Savard and Luongo tells me that Florida and Atlanta aren't quite there yet either. Washington? They need a few more years.

In the end, if you are going to make a claim that the Rangers will miss the playoffs, remember that some other team has to step up to take their place. Also, if one of your main fears is that Rachunek and Rozsival will somehow turn in a performance worse than Poti and Strudwick, I am feeling pretty confident. Until then, this thread, to me, reeks of someone who is looking for the satisfaction of being able to say "I told you so" if the doom and gloom somehow finds a way to manifest itself.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Fletch

When predicting how the Rangers will fare..

one can't just say they've improved over last season and that should mean they'll do better. I've seen many posts (not in here) that because the Rangers have improved over last season, that they should be better. Other teams have improved too, and it's really tough to say how good the Rangers were at the end of the season because they finished with such a whimper, which was because of multiple reasons, including injuries, other teams getting better, and players throughout the league getting used to the rules and getting over the time lost.

Old
09-02-2006, 11:29 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont08 View Post
10. Rangers fans look at the team and much like in Major League's say, "You know, these guys aren't that F'''n bad."
9. Jagr gets hurt early and the fans then realize the team is that bad.
I found it funny.

As an outsider, I can only see two things that could make the NYR miss the playoffs:

1- Jaromir Jagr miss more than 30 games.
2- Henrik Lundqvist play badly.

I don't know about N.1 (How could I know ), but I don't see how Lundqvist could play this bad.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Uncle Jorgi

I'm a die-hard Penguins fan and even i'd have to say you're being way too pessimistic. I think the Rangers proved a lot of people(myself included) wrong last year and have taken steps to make the team even better this year. You have a stud in goal, a Hart trophy runner-up on offense, and just acquired a dependable scorer and solid d-man, both who bring a ton of leadership intangibles. I can see how you may be a little disappointed in the playoff run last year, but it was probably just a bump in the road, you guys have a solid team. One or two trades to address some overall toughness issues, and i think you're set.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 11:54 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Talbot View Post
I'm a die-hard Penguins fan and even i'd have to say you're being way too pessimistic. I think the Rangers proved a lot of people(myself included) wrong last year and have taken steps to make the team even better this year. You have a stud in goal, a Hart trophy runner-up on offense, and just acquired a dependable scorer and solid d-man, both who bring a ton of leadership intangibles. I can see how you may be a little disappointed in the playoff run last year, but it was probably just a bump in the road, you guys have a solid team. One or two trades to address some overall toughness issues, and i think you're set.
agreed this is why I was upset when the Rangers did not trade for Mark Bell. We need more gritty players who can score. Im sure Hall will have a good year, possibly a break out year. Hall on the PP infront of the net playing with Jagr will get him some points. Hall and Shanny is a start for toughness, rangers need one more power forward.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 11:55 AM
DontStaal

you noe wat really bugs me.. the fact that everyone is so pessimistic this year. Let me tell you this.. last year was no fluke. What we had was chemistry and this year will be no different. Of course we did beyond expectations last year and it would be only human to assume that we'd do worse this year. I for one am very excited about this coming season: we didnt go out like STL and do the "usual" but stuck to our foundation.

To make one point, i dont think anyone will be upset over the lose of Poti. Instead i think the Isles will be upset over the gain of Poti.

So which ever way you look at it, this team is goin up and eventually will have to rely on someone besides Jagr. I think this years team has a great mix of veteran talent and young players who can possibly remain on this team for years to come.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 12:10 PM
DutchShamrock

ok, I take issue with the Renney jabs. He did bench Poti, Nylander and Ozolinsh last year. So it's not like he's incapable of sitting guys down when necessary. I know you can throw Jagr's illegal sticks and his failure to bench Rozsival, but I am just saying that he has done it before. So to claim that he will stick with a bunch of no-talent/no-future NHLers is baseless. He also benched Orts, Ward, Hossa and Hollweg last season, so again I see no basis to think he won't bench them again in favor of those more deserving.

I also find it strange to rip the hard working guys, we only spent about 8 years praying for a team of hardworkers.

Ok, the injuries. You have to understand that there are two types of injuries. There are those caused by freak accidents (Prucha, Rucinsky). There is nothing you can do to prevent them, but you are free to predict they will happen... they may very well occur. Then there are those caused by poor conditioning and poor training. This is something that can be controlled and the Rangers spend alot of their profits in this area. Top training facility in the league, well conditioned and the top trainers. The Rangers are able to prevent alot of preventable injuries and last year was evidence. Guys like Jagr are freaks off the ice. They train non stop and their bodies are machines. Prucha was never hurt in his career before a freak injury last season. Your claims fly in the face of logic, but you might be right in the end.

Finally, I believe (I want to stress that part) that Rachunek is an upgrade on Poti. Poti played well defensively last year but it was at the expense of all offense. He doesn't have the ability to create a two way game, all or none. I think Rachunek will be steady in both ends, time will tell. While I am one of the biggest bashers of Rozsival, I have to acknowledge that he was part of a winning solution. He just has to stop with the PIMs and shore up his own end. Malik covered him well and in the end I don't see why things won't be different. Overall the team is better than last year and ultimately the only thing that will derail a post season trip is injuries.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Ismellofhockey

Rachunek is a good defenceman, don't know where you're getting the Poti comparisons, Rachunek is solid defensively, blocks shots, hits... he can move the puck pretty well too.
Same goes for Roszival, how can a guy who finished +35 be condemned for his defensive play?

Now i don't think the Rangers are the best team in the conference but i think they'll win the East nonetheless.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
agreed this is why I was upset when the Rangers did not trade for Mark Bell. We need more gritty players who can score. Im sure Hall will have a good year, possibly a break out year. Hall on the PP infront of the net playing with Jagr will get him some points. Hall and Shanny is a start for toughness, rangers need one more power forward.
Hall's play is one of the only question marks. If he can put it all together, then playing with Jags, the sky is the limit with what he can do. A lot of the Nashville posters say he actually played less physically last year, if he's regressing in that area, it could be trouble cuz that's one of the keys to his effectiveness, his size. But i think the change of scenery and another year of experience is gonna be good for him. I think he'll do well this year.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Fletch

It's wasy to condemn a guy..

with a +35 for his defensive play - without talking about Rozsival, to get a large plus, one compenent is being on the ice for many goals - one can say that many defensemen do not contribute much to those goals being scored and thus you really cannot equate +35 to defensive prowess.

As for Rachunek - we'll see what he looks like. I'm just upset that he didn't want to be in New York last season, and seemingly is coming back now that he saw them go to the playoffs last season. It just seems to be a departure from the type of guys Sather has been drafting.

Old
09-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Ismellofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
with a +35 for his defensive play - without talking about Rozsival, to get a large plus, one compenent is being on the ice for many goals - one can say that many defensemen do not contribute much to those goals being scored and thus you really cannot equate +35 to defensive prowess.

As for Rachunek - we'll see what he looks like. I'm just upset that he didn't want to be in New York last season, and seemingly is coming back now that he saw them go to the playoffs last season. It just seems to be a departure from the type of guys Sather has been drafting.
Although the +/- isn't the end all be all of defensive awareness stats it still says that while Roszival was on the ice, the Rangers scored 35 more goals than they allowed, more than any other player on the team and more than any single player on any team other than Wade Redden. It's not a perfect stat but it still says Roszival is doing something right.

As for Rachunek, i watched him play in Ottawa, he's a guy that likes to log minutes, enjoys playing and wants to contribute. Since the money was similar in Russia, he opted for the team that would give him a large role in a winning environment, you can't really blame him for wanting that. I don't know why he's come back but I have a feeling Ranger fans will appreciate that he did.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Geogaddi

Wow. Rachunek isnt half as bad as you make him out to be. your opinion is probably really biased coming from him not wanting to play for the team last year.

So what, he took a year and improved his game in the RSL, being one of the best Defensemen in the league. i cant wait to see you praising Rachunek later on this season.

Rachunek >>> Poti.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 01:11 PM
dupont08

I'll dare to believe. I'll watch just about every game no matter how bad it is. I watched that Ottawa game from start to finish. I think we lost 8-0 or 10-2. Something like that. However, I'm still not sold on Renney. I like how he handles the personality of the players. I like how he stresses defense. However, I also think he plays favorites and isn't willing to develop offensive players unless they immediately show something. He almost ruined Prucha by playing him on a bad line to start the year. If anybody on the team could score other than Jagr I think Prucha would have been in the minors.

Old
09-02-2006, 01:13 PM
dupont08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Wow. Rachunek isnt half as bad as you make him out to be. your opinion is probably really biased coming from him not wanting to play for the team last year.

So what, he took a year and improved his game in the RSL, being one of the best Defensemen in the league. i cant wait to see you praising Rachunek later on this season.

Rachunek >>> Poti.
You can wait till the end of time. It will never happen. We all get some players wrong. That guy stinks. He has no clue how to play defense, he's soft and he's vastly overrated offensively by many fans. I remember ripping Rosival after a while and about 75% of all Rangers fans got upset and pointed to his plus minus. Now, you will be lucky to find 15% of Rangers fans who like him.

Old
09-02-2006, 01:27 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Wheres the hate on Rachunuck coming from? I hope not that little 10 game stint 3 years ago.

Im not expecting huge things from Karl but he was a top defenseman in the RSL last year playing a good defensive and offensive game. He was very very solid as a 22 year old on the Sens so i have to assume hes only gotten better since then.

Im excited to see what he will bring to our team as hopefully good 2nd pairing guy and a good right handed shot on the top PP and I don't know how someone can write him off already.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont08 View Post
That guy stinks.
You've really been given the benefit of the doubt around here as a, ahem, "new" user. However, if you have nothing to add to the board other than comments I'd expect from a 5 year year old, kindly keep your opinions to yourself.

How would a "new" user know what percentage of Ranger fans here are pro or anti-Rozsival? Really, I'd like to know.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 01:31 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Wheres the hate on Rachunuck coming from? I hope not that little 10 game stint 3 years ago.

Im not expecting huge things from Karl but he was a top defenseman in the RSL last year playing a good defensive and offensive game. He was very very solid as a 22 year old on the Sens so i have to assume hes only gotten better since then.

Im excited to see what he will bring to our team as hopefully good 2nd pairing guy and a good right handed shot on the top PP and I don't know how someone can write him off already.
Rachunek also seem to pick up the pim. 73 pim in 45 games. Looking from the 73 pim in 45 games, it seems that he got at least a 5 min major, I hope it was for fighting. I hope those are physical penalty minutes such as fighting and roughing instead of the lazy hooking, tripping type. Anyone got any insite if Rachunek is more physical than last time in the NHL???

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Pizza

Here is my #1 prediction for the year:

A few Rangers fans will visit their favorite websites and write posts that are cynical and boring.

Let's just get the season started already. It's obvious that the wait is starting to have it's effect.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Here is my #1 prediction for the year:

A few Rangers fans will visit their favorite websites and write posts that are cynical and boring.

Let's just get the season started already. It's obvious that the wait is starting to have it's effect.
Agreed, this pessimism is driving me crazy, I want this season to start so we can atleast fine out what is what.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote