HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Iron Maiden

Old
09-02-2006, 10:12 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
OT: Iron Maiden

The latest album is due out on Tuesday. But, I've previewed a few of the songs already, and I have to say, I'm floored! To be honest, I was a huge fan as a teenager, and saw them on both the Beast and World Piece Tours, but kind of lost them around Powerslave. (I moved more towards College Rock at the time, since I was entering college at the time...natch!) And, while I'd still go back and relisten to the former glories of the early albums, I left them consigned to a specific point in time. But, "The Wicker Man" caught my ear a few years ago, since, let's face it, no one make Metal like that anymore. Anyway I read a review about the new album and it piqued my interest. The truth is, NO ONE makes this kind of music anymore, but it sounds like a legitimate update of the Maiden approach. I might be getting a ticket to the show at the Meadowlands from my brother-in-law, since I have every intention of seeing this band live again. To be honest, it is so refreshing to hear a metal band that actully has a quality singer, and with an ear for melody. Everything from depth, breadth, space, nuance, intensity, power and musicianship...this is not a band resting on its laurels.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Fletch

I was going to see them..

a couple years ago, but a friend of mine told me they stuck to more recent songs, and like you, I stopped at Powerslave, but still listen to Piece of Mind and Number of the Beast a lot (I need to still buy a couple other CDs, since my albums really don't work well anymore, and I don't own a tape deck).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 11:00 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

that's nice to hear. the game i'm working on is suppose to feature one of their new songs.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 01:44 AM
SML

I bought "live after death" this year on CD. It instantly took me back to the eighth grade. They definitely don't make music like that anymore.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 01:54 AM
NYRangers

myspace.com/ironmaiden

There are two of the new songs there, those two are the two best by far on the album, and are also the singles.

I'll be there at Nassau Oct 12th on the floor!

I saw them two summers ago on Ozzfest. Best live act I've ever seen (I'm an rapid concert goer too). They've still got it, musically and stage presence.

NYRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 01:58 AM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
that's nice to hear. the game i'm working on is suppose to feature one of their new songs.
Tony Hawk Pro Snowboarder?

Old
09-03-2006, 10:15 AM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers View Post
There's such a game?

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 12:27 PM
NYRangers

Its coming out and I heard Maiden will be on the soundtrack.

Old
09-03-2006, 12:42 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
a couple years ago, but a friend of mine told me they stuck to more recent songs, and like you, I stopped at Powerslave, but still listen to Piece of Mind and Number of the Beast a lot (I need to still buy a couple other CDs, since my albums really don't work well anymore, and I don't own a tape deck).
Fletch, you and I are pretty much of the same era, the wellspring of the NWOBM. (Anyone who can recognize the greatness of RIOT's Fire Down Under is not that far from where I stand in musical tastes.) After delving into the recent reunion material - Brave New World, Dance Of Death, and A Matter Of Life And Death, I would say they're worth exploring. In fact, I would go far as to say that "The Wicker Man" (from BNW), "Montsegur" and "Paschendale" (from DoD) and "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns" (from AMoLaD) rank with "Wrathchild", Murders In The Rue Morgue", "Killers", "The Number Of The Beast", "Hallowed Be Thy Name", "Die With Your Boots On" and "Two Minutes To Midnight" as best Maiden has ever done.

Last edited by jas: 09-03-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old
09-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Fletch

Really?

I had quit on them early. Funny you say Riot - I had some old live tapes from them for concerts in the early 80s - lost 'em all. Haven't heard Riot in over 20 years. Must download some Maiden CDs this weekend. I still listen to them at least once a week (although my iPOd's been acting up lately - it wiped out my Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - a title almost as long as Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict).

Old
09-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The latest album is due out on Tuesday. But, I've previewed a few of the songs already, and I have to say, I'm floored! To be honest, I was a huge fan as a teenager, and saw them on both the Beast and World Piece Tours, but kind of lost them around Powerslave. (I moved more towards College Rock at the time, since I was entering college at the time...natch!) And, while I'd still go back and relisten to the former glories of the early albums, I left them consigned to a specific point in time. But, "The Wicker Man" caught my ear a few years ago, since, let's face it, no one make Metal like that anymore. Anyway I read a review about the new album and it piqued my interest. The truth is, NO ONE makes this kind of music anymore, but it sounds like a legitimate update of the Maiden approach. I might be getting a ticket to the show at the Meadowlands from my brother-in-law, since I have every intention of seeing this band live again. To be honest, it is so refreshing to hear a metal band that actully has a quality singer, and with an ear for melody. Everything from depth, breadth, space, nuance, intensity, power and musicianship...this is not a band resting on its laurels.

The last Maiden album I bought was no fear of the dark and that was ok, but not on the level of Seventh son and the albums before that. I haven't bought a new one in a while (I heard they broke up again). My favorite album from them is Piece of Mind, Revelations is one of the best Maiden songs ever baby!

Anyhow Jas, I have two friends going to that Meadowlands show also, try to catch the opening act, Bullet for my valentine, they are pretty good too.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 03:55 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers View Post
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam for Nintendo Wii. If you were making a quip on seemingly similarities, you'll be surprised. Much better controls. Much better multiplayer.

thanks for the music link. i like!

Old
09-03-2006, 08:06 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Tony Hawk Downhill Jam for Nintendo Wii. If you were making a quip on seemingly similarities, you'll be surprised. Much better controls. Much better multiplayer.

thanks for the music link. i like!
Thats a cool job. I heard "The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg" (actually it might be "Different Worlds") was on some Tony Hawk game. I probably just got them confused.

Fletch, if your checking out the three new albums I'd give them all a go since more people seem to like them then me. But Brave New World is definitely the best. Wickerman is even considered by a lot of the fans to be one of the best Maiden songs. The other two albums are different aside as they are longer songs, more drawn out, and less guitar driven/fast. More epic and not as good IMO.

Old
09-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Fletch

Just bought the song...

I like it, but to me, it's not the best Maiden song. It did prompt me to replace my Killers album with a CD, and I downloaded Wrathchild because I was in the mood to listen to it now. Of course, I bought some other CDs, like Mob Rules and others that I just can't seem to find.

Old
09-03-2006, 08:52 PM
NYRangers

I wouldn't consider it the best either. But its up there after the very classics.

Old
09-03-2006, 09:36 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

As I said earlier, "The Wicker Man", "Montsegur", "Paschendale" and "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns", IMO, rank with some the best stuff Maiden has ever done. Frankly, all I've been listening to the last four or five days is Maiden, from the debut, right up to the new stuff I have on my computer.

Old
09-03-2006, 09:58 PM
icthelight

The fact that so many of you consider Iron Maiden as a group that produces music makes me laugh. I have heard them so many times and just laughed at how little talent they had, compared to people who could actually sing. Not to disrespect anyone, we all have our choices in "music", but what the heck are they actually doing??? I want some real feedback on why you are such a big fan for so long and please tell me what they actually do that just shocks and awes you every time they perform? Don't get me wrong I liked Metallica about 10-15 yrs ago, but they could sing a little and were original. i just think that type of music(screaming and yelling at the top of your lungs) is a joke.

icthelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 10:51 PM
303Joe

Maiden is a great band. Nobody makes stuff like they did anymore. Them and old Queensryche were all great stuff. Going to see the at the Coliseum in Oct. Saw them the lasy few times they were in the area. Also going to see Queensryche in a few weeks at the Nokia Theater in Times Square. Best off all seeing Tool Oct 7th at the Coilsuem. Another great band but its just different stuff than Maiden plays.

303Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 11:12 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by icthelight View Post
The fact that so many of you consider Iron Maiden as a group that produces music makes me laugh. I have heard them so many times and just laughed at how little talent they had, compared to people who could actually sing. Not to disrespect anyone, we all have our choices in "music", but what the heck are they actually doing??? I want some real feedback on why you are such a big fan for so long and please tell me what they actually do that just shocks and awes you every time they perform? Don't get me wrong I liked Metallica about 10-15 yrs ago, but they could sing a little and were original. i just think that type of music(screaming and yelling at the top of your lungs) is a joke.
I feel stupid for reading this post.

Uh, "screaming and yelling" is not Maiden. And they do not compare to Metallica at all. I'm a huge Metallica band but the old Metallica records didn't sing, James yelled the lyrics. Bruce Dicksinson (Maiden) has opera type vocals, thats how he was trained. The only way this post makes sense is that your getting bands confused. I suggest checking out Iron Maiden and not like Cannibal Corpse or something you must be confusing them with.

And Iron Maiden is one of the biggest hard rock acts of all time. Theres a reason millions of people like them. I really think you are getting them confused with someone else.

And not original? They were one of the first metal bands to ever exist after Black Sabbath. Them and Judas Priest invented hard rock with two guitars.

That post scrambled my brain a little. Might be the stupidest post ever but I REALLY just think you got bands confused or maybe you heard the album with the ****** singer Blaze or something. I don't care what other people listen to but this post is eqaul to saying Metallica is a pretty boy band.

Try the first song on this site myspace.com/trivium . Maybe not your style or anything, but it would change your opinion.

Last edited by NYRangers: 09-03-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old
09-04-2006, 04:54 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icthelight View Post
i'm not convinced you gave them a fair listen. i'm not a heavy metal fan but their stuff is quite listenable. that or you already have a predisposed biased against anything heavy metal. i mean, is metallica the only metal you listen to? that would be the real joke if true.

Old
09-04-2006, 07:08 AM
Fletch

One thing Maiden isn't...

is some crappy thrash metal band where the singer belts out tunes in his deepest, darkest voice while the rest of the band just thrashes behind him. I've always thought of Maiden as being a bit like soft metal (compared to others of the 1980s, including Metallica and Raven). Dickinson's voice has a lot of range and his songs are song in key. The music is melodic whereby you can hear every note being played because it's not all meshed into one. It's not all about speed (except for certain bass parts, which seem to be timed nicely and fits in quite nicely). To me, it's good music. Listen to a song like To Tame a Land - no screaming or yelling there for sure.

Old
09-04-2006, 09:08 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
is some crappy thrash metal band where the singer belts out tunes in his deepest, darkest voice while the rest of the band just thrashes behind him. I've always thought of Maiden as being a bit like soft metal (compared to others of the 1980s, including Metallica and Raven). Dickinson's voice has a lot of range and his songs are song in key. The music is melodic whereby you can hear every note being played because it's not all meshed into one. It's not all about speed (except for certain bass parts, which seem to be timed nicely and fits in quite nicely). To me, it's good music. Listen to a song like To Tame a Land - no screaming or yelling there for sure.

IMO, Dickinson ranks with Gillan, Dio and Halford as the best heavy metal singers of all time. His vocals allowed Maiden to go from a cult band in the Di'Anno era, which had a punkish overtone, to an arena-sized band full of drama and bombast. And, he's always struck me as one of the more literate and well-spoken torch-bearers of the genre, unlike, say, Halford, who just seems to spout cliches.

Old
09-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Fletch

He's a pretty decent soccer (football) player too..

from what I can remember.

Old
09-04-2006, 09:11 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
from what I can remember.

And fencer!!