HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Iron Maiden

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-04-2006, 03:12 PM
  #26
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,183
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
IMO, Dickinson ranks with Gillan, Dio and Halford as the best heavy metal singers of all time. His vocals allowed Maiden to go from a cult band in the Di'Anno era, which had a punkish overtone, to an arena-sized band full of drama and bombast. And, he's always struck me as one of the more literate and well-spoken torch-bearers of the genre, unlike, say, Halford, who just seems to spout cliches.
Well how many albums don't have Dickenson singing on it? Maiden, Killers, Maiden Japan. I know he left the band twice to do solo stuff, are there any other Maiden albums out there with another singer (non-tribute).

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 03:49 PM
  #27
NYRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
Yes, two more.

The X Factor and Virtual XI

They are really bad though.

NYRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 01:55 PM
  #28
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,785
vCash: 500
So glad someone posted this thread, LOVE the new Maiden.
Shows you how bad Rock music is these days when my fave two
'latest' releases are from Maiden & Motorhead

Btw, even though its not exactly Maiden, the new Audioslave is good too, more Cornell influenced......

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 04:06 AM
  #29
Bacchus
Registered User
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dickes B
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers View Post
Yes, two more.

The X Factor and Virtual XI

They are really bad though.
Funny thing, two of my favorite albums ('Killers' and 'The X Factor') are without Dickinson.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 11:51 AM
  #30
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,171
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by icthelight View Post
The fact that so many of you consider Iron Maiden as a group that produces music makes me laugh. I have heard them so many times and just laughed at how little talent they had, compared to people who could actually sing. Not to disrespect anyone, we all have our choices in "music", but what the heck are they actually doing??? I want some real feedback on why you are such a big fan for so long and please tell me what they actually do that just shocks and awes you every time they perform? Don't get me wrong I liked Metallica about 10-15 yrs ago, but they could sing a little and were original. i just think that type of music(screaming and yelling at the top of your lungs) is a joke.
Then what the hell do you consider music!?

Some crappy rock ballads where some blowhard sings his overinflated lungs out over some cheesy *** overproduced guitar track?

Please.

Music is just as much about energy as it is talent.

Maiden have both, which is why they have such an absolute huge legion of fans in the world out there.

But seriously, you're opinion on this has just been reduced to "worthless" after reading your post.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 12:36 PM
  #31
Bacchus
Registered User
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dickes B
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
But seriously, you're opinion on this has just been reduced to "worthless" after reading your post.
That's why we're still waiting for an answer from him...

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 12:49 PM
  #32
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,957
vCash: 500
Im pysched to see Tool in October. They kick serious ***.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 12:59 PM
  #33
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
I got my Tool tickets...

for the Meadowlands and the Nassau Coliseum (paid through the ear to get those tickets). My friend saw them in Tokyo a couple weeks ago and said it was a great show (the shows are a bit longer now than the first go-around earlier in the year). Haven't seen them yet this year, but already looking forward to them coming back in the Winter (I hate the Meadowlands and Long Island).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 02:12 PM
  #34
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
As I said earlier, "The Wicker Man", "Montsegur", "Paschendale" and "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns", IMO, rank with some the best stuff Maiden has ever done. Frankly, all I've been listening to the last four or five days is Maiden, from the debut, right up to the new stuff I have on my computer.
I can't believe you're comparing those songs to Phantom Of The Opera, Killers, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Number Of The Beast, The Trooper, Etc... those songs don't even come close to the greatness that was Iron Maiden in their early days. It's not a knock at you, or them by any means, but those songs were just so damn good that it's hard to even be mentioned in the same sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icthelight View Post
The fact that so many of you consider Iron Maiden as a group that produces music makes me laugh. I have heard them so many times and just laughed at how little talent they had, compared to people who could actually sing. Not to disrespect anyone, we all have our choices in "music", but what the heck are they actually doing??? I want some real feedback on why you are such a big fan for so long and please tell me what they actually do that just shocks and awes you every time they perform? Don't get me wrong I liked Metallica about 10-15 yrs ago, but they could sing a little and were original. i just think that type of music(screaming and yelling at the top of your lungs) is a joke.
Maybe if you had a clue of what you're talking about and weren't just senselessly bashing Metal, I'd waste my time. Read up or something, because you sound really ignorant right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe View Post
Maiden is a great band. Nobody makes stuff like they did anymore. Them and old Queensryche were all great stuff. Going to see the at the Coliseum in Oct. Saw them the lasy few times they were in the area. Also going to see Queensryche in a few weeks at the Nokia Theater in Times Square. Best off all seeing Tool Oct 7th at the Coilsuem. Another great band but its just different stuff than Maiden plays.
Tool... probably the best band out there right now. They're light years ahead of 95% of the bands out there right now. The new cd was pretty good, but I still prefer Opiate, Tool, and Undertow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I like it, but to me, it's not the best Maiden song. It did prompt me to replace my Killers album with a CD, and I downloaded Wrathchild because I was in the mood to listen to it now. Of course, I bought some other CDs, like Mob Rules and others that I just can't seem to find.
Mob Rules, now that was a good Sabbath cd.

Overall, I would go see Maiden just to see them. I've heard some of the new album on myspace, and I'm really not all too impressed, but it's not bad. After Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, some of their stuff was terrible... Somewhere In Time, X-Factor, Dance Of Death... even Fear Of The Dark was mediocre for their standards. They had two decent songs on their in Fear Of The Dark and Afraid To Shoot Strangers. Somewhere In Time's best track was "Wasted Years," and that's wouldn't even crack my Iron Maiden top 30. The X-Factor was a waste of money for them. Brave New World was pretty good, I liked it. But I'd still rather throw in Iron Maiden and jam out to Phantom Of The Opera.

Whoever it was that said the DiAnno days had a more punkish overtone to them... you really think that? I just don't see or hear it at all. Speaking of DiAnno, anyone hear his new stuff? He just released an album recently, heard about it on Q104's metal block on Friday nights.

Anyone looking to hear something that sort of resembles maiden, at least in the power and vocal sense... should check out Dragonforce. Those guys are insane. The big difference is the speed... Dragonforce plays faster than almost anything you'll ever listen to, and they don't sound like complete garbage, like most death metal bands.

Good thread though, Jas. I'm surprised to see such a big liking for Maiden on here. It's actually pretty damn awesome.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 02:23 PM
  #35
Nikkowar
Registered User
 
Nikkowar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Darby
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,318
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by icthelight View Post
The fact that so many of you consider Iron Maiden as a group that produces music makes me laugh. I have heard them so many times and just laughed at how little talent they had, compared to people who could actually sing. Not to disrespect anyone, we all have our choices in "music", but what the heck are they actually doing??? I want some real feedback on why you are such a big fan for so long and please tell me what they actually do that just shocks and awes you every time they perform? Don't get me wrong I liked Metallica about 10-15 yrs ago, but they could sing a little and were original. i just think that type of music(screaming and yelling at the top of your lungs) is a joke.
Sorry,but this post is rather laughable. Dickenson screaming and yelling at the top of his lungs? Dude,it's called singing,if you want to hear someone screaming and yelling at the top of his lungs,I'll advice **** like As I lay Dying and the sorts

Nikkowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 02:25 PM
  #36
Nikkowar
Registered User
 
Nikkowar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Darby
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,318
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Anyone looking to hear something that sort of resembles maiden, at least in the power and vocal sense... should check out Dragonforce. Those guys are insane. The big difference is the speed... Dragonforce plays faster than almost anything you'll ever listen to, and they don't sound like complete garbage, like most death metal bands.
Actually,I would advise Cellador before Dragonforce,the singer sounds sooo much like Dickenson it's ridiculous.

www.myspace.com/cellador

Nikkowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 02:42 PM
  #37
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
for the Meadowlands and the Nassau Coliseum (paid through the ear to get those tickets). My friend saw them in Tokyo a couple weeks ago and said it was a great show (the shows are a bit longer now than the first go-around earlier in the year). Haven't seen them yet this year, but already looking forward to them coming back in the Winter (I hate the Meadowlands and Long Island).
Im going to the Swamp too. I just hate that place also. But Tool will make it better. Where you sittin?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 03:21 PM
  #38
Tomas Sandstrom 28
Registered User
 
Tomas Sandstrom 28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
for the Meadowlands and the Nassau Coliseum (paid through the ear to get those tickets). My friend saw them in Tokyo a couple weeks ago and said it was a great show (the shows are a bit longer now than the first go-around earlier in the year). Haven't seen them yet this year, but already looking forward to them coming back in the Winter (I hate the Meadowlands and Long Island).
I'll also be at the meadowlands show... I saw them earlier in the year at the city center when they were doing that warm up tour...they were fantastic.

Maiden and tool back to back concerts is almost too much.

The bit I've heard of the new Maiden album is some of their best work.

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 07:53 PM
  #39
icthelight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
I've got to be honest the main reason for my post was to find out what made people so crazy about this certain group. I have never heard them before, so I wanted to plant a seed(so to speak). I'm sorry for the ploy, but I wanted real feelings and emotions. I'm writing a story about rock band fanatics and wht the whole craze is about. Anyway thanks for the input and real details to why you love Iron Maiden. No harm meant, sorry guys.

icthelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 08:04 PM
  #40
303Joe
Registered User
 
303Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,291
vCash: 500
Tool... probably the best band out there right now. They're light years ahead of 95% of the bands out there right now. The new cd was pretty good, but I still prefer Opiate, Tool, and Undertow.

I agree they are a very tight band. Just a little different than Iron Maiden and Older Queensryche stuff to name a few of the rock bands from the late 80's early 90's. I don't know the older stuff is just a little heavier sounding stuff. Can't wait to see Tool though they are a very good band.

303Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 08:06 PM
  #41
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
I can't believe you're comparing those songs to Phantom Of The Opera, Killers, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Number Of The Beast, The Trooper, Etc... those songs don't even come close to the greatness that was Iron Maiden in their early days. It's not a knock at you, or them by any means, but those songs were just so damn good that it's hard to even be mentioned in the same sentence.
I am doing just that. I'm not denying the brilliance of the earlier stuff. But, maybe, from where I sit these days (in front of a computer, natch!), I feel the Maiden of the past three albums sounds like a band of renewed purpose, focus and maturity. Clearly they spent time studying some of the Tool playbook. The cartoonish approach of some of the earlier epics are replaced with a real, hard-fought insight that long time peers can't begin to muster, while the having a real vocalist who summons drama, pathos and bombast such as Dickinson sets them apart from modern day contenders. I think, from what I've heard from the three albums since the reunion, the band has been able to update the Maiden approach. Seriously, the likes of "Paschendale", "The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg", "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns", "The Lord Of Light", "Out Of The Silent Planet" and such are in regular rotation on my media player. And, I've mixed them in with classic stuff, too. And, it all sounds awesome.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 08:50 PM
  #42
NYRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
Tools sound came together on the new CD. Jambi, Vicarious, The Pot are the very best they've done. I wish the CD had more songs like that though and less long trippy songs that do nothing.

NYRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 09:08 PM
  #43
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I am doing just that. I'm not denying the brilliance of the earlier stuff. But, maybe, from where I sit these days (in front of a computer, natch!), I feel the Maiden of the past three albums sounds like a band of renewed purpose, focus and maturity. Clearly they spent time studying some of the Tool playbook. The cartoonish approach of some of the earlier epics are replaced with a real, hard-fought insight that long time peers can't begin to muster, while the having a real vocalist who summons drama, pathos and bombast such as Dickinson sets them apart from modern day contenders. I think, from what I've heard from the three albums since the reunion, the band has been able to update the Maiden approach. Seriously, the likes of "Paschendale", "The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg", "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns", "The Lord Of Light", "Out Of The Silent Planet" and such are in regular rotation on my media player. And, I've mixed them in with classic stuff, too. And, it all sounds awesome.
I see what you're saying they have a new approach, but I think if anything, they're still down two or three notches from where they used to be. That just happens over time though. You can't follow up great album after great album after great album for 20 or 30 years. You're going to have one that isn't as good as the rest, and when you're as good as Iron Maiden has been, you get the free pass. Dance Of Death was hardly anything for me to go nuts about. Brave New World I thought was a really good album, "Ghost Of The Navigator" was an incredible track. They blended that new found purpose as you call it with that hard hitting presence of the past, and it just sounded great. The Wicker Man was good as well, and Out Of The Silent Planet jostles with Ghost Of The Navigator for my favorite song on that album. I also liked Blood Brothers a lot. Thought that was a really good song. Brave New World was also a good track. It seemed like they made a legit comeback, and then when I heard Dance Of Death I listened to it once, and it didn't grow on me. Although Paschendale is a decent track. Adrian does some EXCELLENT guitar work on that track. I just can't compare the new stuff to the old stuff, the new stuff isn't in the same league if you ask me. That's just a testament to their greatness over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers View Post
Tools sound came together on the new CD. Jambi, Vicarious, The Pot are the very best they've done. I wish the CD had more songs like that though and less long trippy songs that do nothing.
That's been my problem with Tool on the last two albums. They're trying to be too much like Pink Floyd if you ask me. Less of that, and more of that unique sound that made them what they are, and I'd be a lot happier. Lateralus was really good though, I was surprised to hear something that good, especially after Aenima, which was just an awesome album, and they don't seem to be slowing down, although I liked Lateralus more than the latest album.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 01:14 AM
  #44
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
IMO, Dickinson ranks with Gillan, Dio and Halford as the best heavy metal singers of all time. His vocals allowed Maiden to go from a cult band in the Di'Anno era, which had a punkish overtone, to an arena-sized band full of drama and bombast. And, he's always struck me as one of the more literate and well-spoken torch-bearers of the genre, unlike, say, Halford, who just seems to spout cliches.
I never knew you were into NWOBHM bands. Must be the "Mats" avatar that threw me off. It's funny, I still feel Number Of the Beast is Maiden's best album overall but I liked the DiAnno era body of work over the Dickinson era. I was never a fan of the operatic singers but Dickinson also threw in some grit every once in awhile and I think that differentiated him from others. As for Halford, Priest basically invented the metal cliches, so I don't give them grief for them. I also loved the way Priest have always been so unabashedly overt about being a metal band, while other bands seemed to go out of their way to categorize themselves as a "hard rock" band, as if that made them more credible.

I think a lot of people's tastes are impacted by when they discovered a band. I still remember 3 tours in a row of Maiden warming up for Priest. First the Paladium, then Jones Beach and then the Brendan Byrne Arena. Now those were the days!

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 06:24 AM
  #45
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I never knew you were into NWOBHM bands. Must be the "Mats" avatar that threw me off. It's funny, I still feel Number Of the Beast is Maiden's best album overall but I liked the DiAnno era body of work over the Dickinson era. I was never a fan of the operatic singers but Dickinson also threw in some grit every once in awhile and I think that differentiated him from others. As for Halford, Priest basically invented the metal cliches, so I don't give them grief for them. I also loved the way Priest have always been so unabashedly overt about being a metal band, while other bands seemed to go out of their way to categorize themselves as a "hard rock" band, as if that made them more credible.

I think a lot of people's tastes are impacted by when they discovered a band. I still remember 3 tours in a row of Maiden warming up for Priest. First the Paladium, then Jones Beach and then the Brendan Byrne Arena. Now those were the days!

NWOBHM was the sound of my teenage years - I started colllecting Kerrang! in 1982, right through 1985. I fell in love with the 'Mats after hearing the Tim, while I was in college. And, 1985 was about the time modern rock stations started popping up - WHTG 106.3 in Eatontown was the big one at the Jersey Shore. Ironically, it was Kerrang! that transitioned me to "modern rock", since they introduced me to bands like the The Cult, Killing Joke and Sisters Of Mercy.

As for Halford, I agree about the devotion to being metal, but, I think they got cartoonish about it around Screaming For Vengeance. In the '70's they put out three classic gothic metal albums - Sad Wings Of Destiny, (IMO, their best, and one of the all-time best HM albums EVER), Sin After Sin and Stained Class. Then they seemed to move towards straight ahead metal. They lost me when they put out Defending The Faith.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 12:15 PM
  #46
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,785
vCash: 500
Iron Maiden returns to the chart for the first time since 2003 as "A Matter of Life and Death" enters at No. 9 with 56,000 units. The Sanctuary release is the group's very first top 10 set in its 30-year history; its previous high-water mark was set in 1986 with the No. 11 peak of "Somewhere in Time."

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 12:22 PM
  #47
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
HockeyBased...

I'm in 100-something - I think it's 121 or 122. Not exactly sure. I hate going to the Meadowlands too. I'm used to subways and taxis, not tunnels, turnpikes and traffic. And of course the next day I'll be in Long Island at another place I dislike. It's not a bad place to see a show, though, from what I remember.

I believe they'll be back in town in late-winter/early Spring. Of course, Maynard's sick, which resulted in a cancelled show last night in San Antonio. Great.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.