HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

cbc hotstove mentions coyote rumours...

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 09:03 AM
ducky

vCash: 500
cbc hotstove mentions coyote rumours...

then does not talk about it because they ran out of time. Typical. An old rant but the Jets/Coyotes continue to have very poor media coverage/respect.

I don't know if this is the rumour they were talking about however:
Gratton and Burke are reportedly (Garrioch's column in the Ottawa paper) the two names being circulated. Burke is no surprise. I don't think Gratton is being shopped already, do you?

For other rumours

Parrish is rumoured to be on the move. Adding another scorer would certainly help the Yotes, esp with Johnson out. He has played both wings I believe. Ference and a middle prospect - say Jaspers - may interest MM? (probably not enough I know).

Comrie is still available but I don't see us paying what Edm wants for him.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Waldo

Read in today's local newspaper, the Winnipeg Sun, that Burke and Gratton were available to any teams that are willing to take over their contracts, meaning they are being given away for free. I don't believe it myself. I think this stuff gets made up just like when posters at this and any other message board offer pretend trades.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:43 AM
nucks2001

vCash:
I bet they'd like the Gratton for Briere trade back. Yeah they needed size but thats about all Gratton is at this point.

Old
11-16-2003, 10:39 AM
ulf

i disagree on the value of gratton...he's doing his job at reasonable money and is a reason we are not worse but better.

as for briere i never like giving up a player with his talent but he made us worse last year not better.

dumping salary makes strange things happen so i guess it's possible.

Old
11-16-2003, 10:40 AM
Hordichuk_24

I would much rather have Gratton than Briere...

Old
11-16-2003, 11:50 AM

Gratton nor Burke would be pure salary dumps for us yet, unless the team SOLEY cared about the bottom line, and if that was the case I know what team I am no longer following much longer. I don't think this is the case however.

Quote:
NEW YORK POST: Larry Brooks claims the Oilers are trying to land Zak Bierk from the Phoenix Coyotes.
Makes me wonder what that all means with them still having Salo in net, as well as a couple of younger guys.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:56 AM
CoyoteBaloney

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
I bet they'd like the Gratton for Briere trade back. Yeah they needed size but thats about all Gratton is at this point.
I wouldn't. The Coyotes also need a face-off center, which Briere was not and Gratton is -- and a 2 way center. Gratton has been helping out on defense and hustling back to help out on offense. Frankly, I believe that little filled some much needed holes in the Coyotes' line-up -- I don't want it back.

Old
11-16-2003, 04:50 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Gratton nor Burke would be pure salary dumps for us yet, unless the team SOLEY cared about the bottom line, and if that was the case I know what team I am no longer following much longer. I don't think this is the case however.

Makes me wonder what that all means with them still having Salo in net, as well as a couple of younger guys.
Oilers have a lot of guys that interest me. I think the Coyotes could put together a package for Comrie, if they happen to be interested in Bierk and a few others. I just hope they don't overpay. Whatever happens, the Oilers have many a player that would make the Coyotes better.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks2001
How much you willing to bet

Interestingly teams and their fans want to trade for Gratton even though he's perceived to be doing poorly. Never happened with Briere even when he was doing well.

Old
11-18-2003, 11:47 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Oilers have a lot of guys that interest me. I think the Coyotes could put together a package for Comrie, if they happen to be interested in Bierk and a few others. I just hope they don't overpay. Whatever happens, the Oilers have many a player that would make the Coyotes better.
Like Cleary?

Old
11-18-2003, 02:37 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
How much you willing to bet

Interestingly teams and their fans want to trade for Gratton even though he's perceived to be doing poorly. Never happened with Briere even when he was doing well.

I wouldn't want to reverse the deal. Not today anyways. Briere is just too soft and way too much of a defensive liability. Buffalo can have him.

Old
11-18-2003, 04:06 PM
LT

I would rather watch a team of Briere type players than a team with a bunch of Grattons. This is not meant as a shot to Gratton because I think his play has been okay. He seems to be lacking creativity and maybe a loss of confidence. My point is only that I would take an offensive team a hundred times over a slower, larger defensive team even if it meant not winning a cup.

Briere is water under the bridge and I see the Yotes building a fast team with balance between size and skill. I still think the skill end is lagging behind the size end but something has to be first and I guess size is where they have started. I am happy with the increase of team speed though, they absolutely needed to address that.

Old
11-18-2003, 04:31 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT
I would rather watch a team of Briere type players than a team with a bunch of Grattons. This is not meant as a shot to Gratton because I think his play has been okay. He seems to be lacking creativity and maybe a loss of confidence. My point is only that I would take an offensive team a hundred times over a slower, larger defensive team even if it meant not winning a cup.

Briere is water under the bridge and I see the Yotes building a fast team with balance between size and skill. I still think the skill end is lagging behind the size end but something has to be first and I guess size is where they have started. I am happy with the increase of team speed though, they absolutely needed to address that.

well, we had a team built around skill in the early 90's. lots of talented players like Zhamnov, Selanne, Janney, Davydov, Housley, etc. That team won squat as teams that were bigger pounded us out of the playoff picture faster than you can say choke. size is a must. I personally think we're closer to winning the cup with Gratton in the lineup than we would be with Briere on our side.

Old
11-18-2003, 04:42 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
I personally think we're closer to winning the cup with Gratton in the lineup than we would be with Briere on our side.
I am sorry, I just find that funny. It's like saying you're closer to the moon with a ladder than with a step-stool.

Old
11-18-2003, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I am sorry, I just find that funny. It's like saying you're closer to the moon with a ladder than with a step-stool.

I actually found that funny, good one. Sadly, it's very true as well. Gratton does no more to improve our chances than Briere. Gratton probably makes the team better, but only by small markers, but better none the less.

Old
11-18-2003, 05:54 PM
hbk

not everything I say should be taken literally

we're still not a cup contender and neither is Buffalo. I'd argue we're closer than Buffalo.

Old
11-18-2003, 06:18 PM
LT

I would still rather build a team like Colorado vs a team like what the Flyers were a few years ago. I think you need a mixture of size and finess, my point was if I had to choose between a team of big and slow vs smaller, faster finess players I would much rather watch the finess style game.

It is one of the main reasons, not the only but people are bored with this slow game, people want to see flash and speed. What do people get excited about more, that awesome goal that was scored by Sakic or that great defensive play by some big slow guy who allowed 12 shots on goal all night?

Old
11-18-2003, 07:28 PM
CoyoteBaloney

Isnt that the team Gretzky and Company are trying to build? A teram of good skaters with speed who have a mix of finese and physical skills?

That's the way I see it anyway.

Old
11-19-2003, 01:53 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
not everything I say should be taken literally

we're still not a cup contender and neither is Buffalo. I'd argue we're closer than Buffalo.
I'd agree with that, but I also think that we are closer for more reasons than just Gratton over Briere.

Closed Thread