HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

NHL 07 vs 2k7

Old
09-03-2006, 11:52 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Well when it comes to past iterations, it's all about substance and realism. 2K is pure sim through and through. It's not known for flashy graphics or gimics but if you're looking for a good sim experience it's the best thing going. As for the view, it's adjustable as is literally everything in NHL2K which is another big strength. It also has an absolute amazing implementation of online leagues! This just doesn't get talked about enough. Creating a league on Xbox Live automatically creates a website for your league and each team in the league. When you play a league game, stats are automatically updated on your league and team pages. It fully tracks something like 20 stats. It's just freakin amazing!! I can't stress enough how much more fun it is to play in an actual league against actual people!! I'm actually in the semi's of an 18 team league now. It's my last 2K6 hoorah.

btw...this is all based on the past, EA seems to be stepping into the ring for real this time so anything is possible! My money is still on 2K this year but I don't think it's going to be near the slam dunk it's been in the past which is great for all of us hockey video gamers. Competition is where it's at and without EA and 2K pushing each other things would get stagnant!
Summed it up PERFECTLY.. (well sept for the money on 2k ) Its going to be close...but the main thing like i said before...i think BOTH game will be great games for all hockey fans and that's pretty much all we can ask for as diehard NHL fans

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 09-04-2006 at 12:00 AM.
FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 01:06 AM
CaptainShark

Quote:
The last EA I purchased was NHL 2002, I kept hearing about the much more realistic 2K series so with 2K3 I finally jumped ship.
Nearly the same for me... I played EA from NHLPA (that´s "NHL 93") on Genesis) until NHL 2001. I stopped Playing it after 2001, didn´t buy a hockey game labeld 2002/2k2 and heard about 2k3. I got a playstation 2 only to be able to play 2k3 and boy it rocked. That was hockey... Never ever had hockey been that realistic. It was the most fun game I ever played. I never managed to win the cup in that game. I always had a great regular season but in the POs I hit a wall at one point or another, my game got stale and I wasn´t loose and creative and lost... The only thing that bothered me with NHL 2k3 was the famous "S-Move" (money-goal) and the goal-scoring-variety on HOF (95 % of the goals were one-timers if one didn´t use the S-move)... I still could live with that... Ah, another complaint: My goalies would only have around 85% SPCT once I edited them "down". With original-ratings they were shutout-machines

ESPN Hockey (NHL 2k4) was a step back... NHL 2k5 was better than 2k4 but still had the goal-scoring-variety-problem on higher levels. The S-Move was gladfully gone. I never played 2k3 after ESPN came out, but last weekend (i got an xbox 360 and sold my PS2) I played one last round of 2k3 and it struck me that 2k3 actually is better than 2k4 and 2k5. Can´t tell you why, I just felt more like hockey...

This season I am gonna go with NHL 07 (I am so excited - I especially like that quote from the finish review where it says that realistic goalies make for realistic goals [variety]). I like the fact that one-timers are not your premier wappon anymore... I could go on and on. Last time I was as jacked up about a game was when I heard / read about 2k3... Hopefully NHL 07 will be the same for me as 2k3 was back then... If NHL 07 turns out to be a bust, I will give 2k7 a look. Only then... I don´t have the time to play both games, that´s why it´s either or...

CaptainShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 05:47 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Just learned about another cool feature added to 2K7 for the 360. NTSC countries can now compete against all PAL countries in online leagues. That is totally cool. I've always had lots of Canadians in my leagues but now I can play against fellow hockey enthusiasts from across the big blue as well! That is awesome!!

Last edited by Sinurgy: 09-04-2006 at 06:00 AM.
Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe426 View Post
I strongly prefer the 2k series over EA. I dont like that semi-arcade style hockey. I'd much rather have an NHL sim if I could. Realism is my number one priority.
Precisely. Realism. 2k6 had Dan Cloutier wearing the wrong mask and other inaccuracies. I also like effort and depth. NHL 2006 as enough sliders and adjustments to make a very competetive game.

NHL 2007 is the one I'm buying..

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Canadian View Post
Precisely. Realism. 2k6 had Dan Cloutier wearing the wrong mask and other inaccuracies.
You do realize that goalie masks have to be licensed fro mthe artists? And they're not cheap. 2K6 only had Turco because he was the cover athlete and worked with the developers.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 01:03 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I've been an EA person for years. I know that it's not always perfect hockey, but I can still have fun with it. I've also been turned off by 2k games in the past with all the bugs. It's not just hockey games that have done it either. I had NBA 2k6 last year, and it went back after a couple of months because all the bugs and crashes made it next to impossible to play a dynasty.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 01:54 PM
HockeySS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
You do realize that goalie masks have to be licensed fro mthe artists? And they're not cheap. 2K6 only had Turco because he was the cover athlete and worked with the developers.
Yeah but if you check out NHL 07, some of the masks there look similar to their real ones, which is pretty cool.

HockeySS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Canadian View Post
Precisely. Realism. 2k6 had Dan Cloutier wearing the wrong mask and other inaccuracies. I also like effort and depth. NHL 2006 as enough sliders and adjustments to make a very competetive game.

NHL 2007 is the one I'm buying..
Man I couldn't count the amount of times I've been annoyed by hockey mask accuracy. It totally ruins the game playing experience.

Old
09-04-2006, 02:27 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Man I couldn't count the amount of times I've been annoyed by hockey mask accuracy. It totally ruins the game playing experience.
Yea I was thinking the same thing! Damn those inaccurate masks.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Platapie

IMO there's been no contest between EA/2K in the last 3 iterations, though 2k4 and 2004 were somewhat close.

2k3 owned 2003, and 2k5/6 owned EA 2005/06 as well from my point of view. Keep in mind that 2K offers a ton of sliders that actually work-- use them. It can be a bit of a hassle, but it can make the game FAR better.

Also, if you find a money goal, simply don't use it. Every hockey game has a money goal and I don't understand why people feel the need to use said money goal constantly-- it would make any videogame trivial.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 01:14 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
agreed 2k6 360 turned off a lot of people cause of it's numerous bugs that seemed to make it's way onto the next gen version but not in the current gen. the remedy was online sim leagues, where the use of exploits and questionable gameplay style was not tolerated. when the connection held up (another thing kush needs to fix) you got some great great video game hockey that was realistic, rewarding, and most of all fun. I suggest finding those leagues that enforce such rules, and only accept players who do not use money goals or other exploits. playing lobby games these days are ridiculous, it seems a lot of the EA fans who didn't have EA hockey to play with on the 360 found their way to 2k6 and like to play online games with gamespeed 10, and non stop onetiming.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
agreed 2k6 360 turned off a lot of people cause of it's numerous bugs that seemed to make it's way onto the next gen version but not in the current gen. the remedy was online sim leagues, where the use of exploits and questionable gameplay style was not tolerated. when the connection held up (another thing kush needs to fix) you got some great great video game hockey that was realistic, rewarding, and most of all fun. I suggest finding those leagues that enforce such rules, and only accept players who do not use money goals or other exploits. playing lobby games these days are ridiculous, it seems a lot of the EA fans who didn't have EA hockey to play with on the 360 found their way to 2k6 and like to play online games with gamespeed 10, and non stop onetiming.
Agreed, it's important to find a good sim league with a commish who isn't afraid to kick people out if they don't follow the league's sim rules. Once you find that, you've found hockey video gaming heaven!!

Old
09-05-2006, 01:39 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
Also, if you find a money goal, simply don't use it. Every hockey game has a money goal and I don't understand why people feel the need to use said money goal constantly-- it would make any videogame trivial.
THANK YOU. I have said that to people for years and they always look at me like I'm nuts. I don't understand what's so hard about the concept. The game doesn't force you to play a certain way, so if you choose to abuse the cheap methods, it's your problem and not the game company's.

I managed to adjust my NHL 06 play style so that I didn't play a ridiculously vertical game and things were working out just fine.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 06:37 PM
psukan

I watched the video on EA Sports about the skill stick thing. Very interesting. What I was wondering, has anyone heard if you can use the old style of playing with the buttons for shooting, passing, hitting, etc? Or have they abandoned that style completely?

psukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 06:52 PM
HockeySS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by psukan View Post
I watched the video on EA Sports about the skill stick thing. Very interesting. What I was wondering, has anyone heard if you can use the old style of playing with the buttons for shooting, passing, hitting, etc? Or have they abandoned that style completely?
You can still use those, you just won't have as much control over your player.

HockeySS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 11:11 PM
J.T

Everyone is talking about how great NHL 07 for 360 looks, but after watching the demo for the 360 2k7, that looks awsome as well! I think I'm leaning towards 2k7 now.

J.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 03:02 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T View Post
Everyone is talking about how great NHL 07 for 360 looks, but after watching the demo for the 360 2k7, that looks awsome as well! I think I'm leaning towards 2k7 now.
I'd still say NHL 07 looks better but the two are not exactly beyond compare as some would have you believe, especially from the actual playing angle in which they are fairly close. Though I'm not sure it matters either way, graphics should be way down the list to anyone seriously considering a hockey video game.

Old
09-06-2006, 06:13 AM
CaptainShark

I think NHL 07 looks WAY better than 2k7...

But (yeah, there is a but ) honestly, who cares?`

I for one donīt need any eye-candy... Itīs all about gameplay for me... graphics and presentation come into play if the gameplay is on par...

CaptainShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 04:30 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

NHL2K7 Demo is up and it's a whopping 1.01 GB!

Old
09-08-2006, 08:58 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Ea All The Way

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Tep

I'll buy both games for my PS2, sooner or later. I guess 2K7 will be better, but we'll see.

Tep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Platapie

I also assume 2k will be the better game, because quite frankly, when it comes to AI they were leaps and bounds better than EA in the past few years. With that said, EA has dramatically improved the flow of their game from what I've seen, so I don't think the gap will be nearly as substantial.

Truth be told, 05/06 made me almost throw up with how bad the CPU played, and the aggrivation of the catch up logic in the end of the game reminded me of just why I hate EA products at times. 07, from all appearances appears a step in the right direction, and as a result I'll buy both this year and EA will, by the looks of it, get some actual play out of me.

One thing EA has to do is steal a page from 2K's book and add sliders/increase their efficacy. I can't stress how important sliders are for a hockey game-- because, IMO anyway, both franchises blow chunks out of the box.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Cloutiers mask is basic black helmet/cage combination.

They had Cloutier wearing as mask similar to almost all other goalies. Hasek too.

That, my friend, is a lack of emphasis on realism and more we're too lazy to put everything in.

Old
09-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
Yea I was thinking the same thing! Damn those inaccurate masks.
Sarcasm aside, it ruins it for me because you can really see the lack of development effort put into the game to make it "better". Sure the AI might be better but why not try to make the visuals better. If I am to stare a screen for countless hours playing a season after a while you'd hope it looked good. I found 2k6 a horrible experience. They game felt unfinished. It lacked any sort of polish. The lack of the ESPN license really showed. Why own a 360 if the visuals, graphics, and presentation are poor. Might as well get an Atari and plug the good old PONG in there.

Old
09-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Hyack57

Just watched the videos for 2k7 and again the players look rigid. They have no flexiblity. NEW PUCK CONTROL ANIMATIONS that look like what EA has had for years... NEW PROCONTROL - DROP PASSES something EA has had for years too. How many players when taking a slap shot turn their head to watch their stick raise in the air? LOL 2k looks like they have a bunch of Frankenstein monsters in uniforms. Frank score.... frank pass... frank slap...