HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

NHL 07 vs 2k7

Old
09-09-2006, 03:17 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles View Post
I have had my 360 since January. It is a pretty great machine, and what it can do is pretty amazing. So when a company like kush releases games that is essentially the same as the game they sell for PS2 for $30, and try to sell me almost the exact same thing for $70, I get annoyed.
That's what you just can't seem to grasp. I've played hundreds of games of the current gen (PS2/Xbox) 2K6, so when you go on about how it's almost the exact same thing as 2K7 for the 360 it's obvious to me you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I'm not saying 2K7 is better one way or the other, I can actually admit that I have no idea since you can't gather much from the demo but to anyone who has spent a lot of time with 2K6 it's VERY clear this is not the exact same game as the current generation. For you to claim it's the same is proof enough that you don't know what you're even talking about.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 05:58 AM
Brodie562

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainShark View Post
Nearly the same for me... I played EA from NHLPA (thatīs "NHL 93") on Genesis) until NHL 2001. I stopped Playing it after 2001, didnīt buy a hockey game labeld 2002/2k2 and heard about 2k3. I got a playstation 2 only to be able to play 2k3 and boy it rocked. That was hockey... Never ever had hockey been that realistic. It was the most fun game I ever played. I never managed to win the cup in that game. I always had a great regular season but in the POs I hit a wall at one point or another, my game got stale and I wasnīt loose and creative and lost... The only thing that bothered me with NHL 2k3 was the famous "S-Move" (money-goal) and the goal-scoring-variety on HOF (95 % of the goals were one-timers if one didnīt use the S-move)... I still could live with that... Ah, another complaint: My goalies would only have around 85% SPCT once I edited them "down". With original-ratings they were shutout-machines

ESPN Hockey (NHL 2k4) was a step back... NHL 2k5 was better than 2k4 but still had the goal-scoring-variety-problem on higher levels. The S-Move was gladfully gone. I never played 2k3 after ESPN came out, but last weekend (i got an xbox 360 and sold my PS2) I played one last round of 2k3 and it struck me that 2k3 actually is better than 2k4 and 2k5. Canīt tell you why, I just felt more like hockey...

This season I am gonna go with NHL 07 (I am so excited - I especially like that quote from the finish review where it says that realistic goalies make for realistic goals [variety]). I like the fact that one-timers are not your premier wappon anymore... I could go on and on. Last time I was as jacked up about a game was when I heard / read about 2k3... Hopefully NHL 07 will be the same for me as 2k3 was back then... If NHL 07 turns out to be a bust, I will give 2k7 a look. Only then... I donīt have the time to play both games, thatīs why itīs either or...
Thank You!!! i have not played a game the same way since, well except WE9. if you could only hit the top corners in 2k3 i wouldnt even be reading about the latest games. i hated that so much!!! i only did it once with Arnason, i remember that goal like it was yesterday, only its been years.

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
I hate how a wrap around or s move beet the goalies 95% of the time on 2k7. I played 7 minute periods, treaked the game, had manual aim, on hall of famer and I still scored 10 goals a game. (my 82 game season had martin st. louis ending with over 100 goals)

Other complaints were the horrible music. I don't think this is a veryu big issue but 2k6 was the worse music i have ever heard in a video game. It was so terrible I actually turned it off. I play on Ps2 so custom soundtracks isnt an option.

The game had a stats clitch in my season. Rob Niedermayer had 284 games played 60 games into the year with over 300 goals. this ruined my run for alot of the trophies.

The line changes were horrible. Half the time they didnt give you enough time to change even your d let alone offense.

After my first season I was unable to continue my franchise because immediately after the renewing contracts fais the game would freeze. I tryed this 3 times. It only once made it to the players leaving fase in which it froze.

Other then that I really liked the game. The actual gameplay out of the box isnt that great but with a little treaking it plays ok minus the glitches. The graphics are not great but they arent untorrible.(and graphics mean little to me) the annoucers are pretty bad, but better then what i remember of EA's. (the annoucers made jokes and they were bad jokes. They talked little actual hockey talk)

And to answer the previous question about why players simply dont use the s move or wrap around is by doing so it limits their playing style. Maybe I wanna play a boards style d and go for wrap around offense. However I cannot play that style on 2k7 without making it unrealistic. Also by the time I tweaked the game to try n make it so i didnt score 20 goals a game it made it impossible to scorew a goal on the other team unless you did use a glitch goal. for anyone that plays this game please let me know if any of this has changed in 2k7. I don't wanna waste the cash to get both these games so I'm gonna wait on some of your responses todecide which game to buy.

Please don't talk one game or the other up or down simply because you are a die hard fan. I like 2k series, but i understand the flaws. so please i know opinions vary, I only want facts.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Brodie562

2k has really fallen off since 2k3, the graphics got worse and they've had a crap load of bugs. makes you wonder what theyre thinking. how could they turn a good series to crap so fast? i think im going with 07 this year.

Brodie562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 08:55 PM
hckyfan0099

I have played both the series. I would say that the 2k series are more "into the game" where they atributes they put into the guy are nuts. They have the craziest things that make the create a player more in depth. The EA series is more broad and less accurate than the 2k series is. They tend to overrate some players and underrate players (Ovechkin in 06 was 86 overall!!!) The 2k series tends to get things way more accurate.

I like the game play of the EA series though. I think it is very fluid and very realistic. Of course there are some flaws (passing off the boards). I did not like it however that when I was the Blackhawks facing Detriot at Detriot they would just go all out. By the end of the first it was 5-2. They scored a goal on every shot on Khabibulin and only missed one off the wall. That was impossible. The 2k series was not so difficult on All-Star. It was a challenge but not impossible.

For me it is the EA series because of their gameplay. I play all 82 games of the season so I might as well play one that looks good and acts good.

hckyfan0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 09:03 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

does anybody know the team ratings as a whole for either game?

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Riffo*

I think I'll go with the EA serries from now on, as the 2k series have been just too easy for me. Hell, I finished 1st in scoring with Sheldon Souray in 2k5. I even had a 14 goal game with him.

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 10:53 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
As it has been mentioned numnerous times here on the good 'ol HFBoards, a number of these scoring problems (E.g. Souray with 14 gaol in one game, St. Louis with 100 in ONE season) can be ameliorated by customizing the game (e.g. "sliders"). I have owned each 2k installment since they have revolutionized gameplay (I'd argue to the level of NHL 92-94) back in early 2000's. I have also found many of those installments to be SHOT AND goal friendly.

So here is what I do--basically "dumb" the game down offensively. I put shot blocking up the highest, offense skill, shooting accuracy and puck control down to nothing and likewise bring defense skill all the way up. Scores then follow accordingly and most important realistically. It's an annoyance to have to constantly tweak the game to such EXTREMES and attests to 2k's faulty gameplay, but it's a boon that they acrtually ahve such detailed customization.

As for these two new ports. I've been doing much research and I like what I read/ see from both. But to be honest, I am tired of 2k's engine and tired of the fact that I HAVE to tweak the game so extremely just to get accurate and realistic stats. EA's POTENTIALLY revolutionizing functions (e.g. new control scheme), gameplay and graphics tend to excite me more than 2k's. However, on the other hand, though it has become a tad stale b/c I know the system in and out after virtually playing it the past 4 years with minor improvements each installment, one cannot go wrong with 2k's gameplay. Bar none, the most realistically FEELING game thus far (2k series).

This all brings me to do the smart and more potentiall economical thing and on Tuesday get up nice and early (well attempt at the very least) and hope and pray that Blockbuster has both ports in (2k and EA). I will then lock my self in my room (well after I finish my obligations) and play them out 'till my eyes bleed and I am sick of 2k's new music; in the end assess accordingly and PROPERLY. After finding a winner, I will promptly return to reality and buy...ONE.

Last edited by BelovedIsles: 09-09-2006 at 10:59 PM.
BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 02:17 AM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

The 2k7 demo on Xbox is very very bad. Might actually be worst than last years game.

Edonator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 02:20 AM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck_Nut View Post
I just played the 2K7 demo again. What the heck is up with the players blowing smoke out of their mouth? lol. It's not that cold in the srenas to do that and they look like dragons..
Very bad demo. You can't hit or deke!

Edonator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 02:50 AM
MrAlfie

i stopped giving EA my money after they literally forced their players to buy new controllers in order to play their game.
a good hockey videogame does not need 20 buttons, 40 analogsticks and 90 virgins to be entertaining.
what happened to the good old days when you only needed 6-8 buttons?
boost,shoot,pass,deke, change player for offense
check,change player,poke check, block for defense...

when did the crapfest with the analogsticks start?
is it because 14 year old ******** took over ea?
i ****ing hate kids these days... psh

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 02:53 AM
CaptainShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
i stopped giving EA my money after they literally forced their players to buy new controllers in order to play their game.
a good hockey videogame does not need 20 buttons, 40 analogsticks and 90 virgins to be entertaining.
what happened to the good old days when you only needed 6-8 buttons?
boost,shoot,pass,deke, change player for offense
check,change player,poke check, block for defense...

when did the crapfest with the analogsticks start?
is it because 14 year old ******** took over ea?
i ****ing hate kids these days... psh
I think this analog-stick-statement will proof to be very popular around here...

CaptainShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 02:57 AM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainShark View Post
I think this analog-stick-statement will proof to be very popular around here...
because its the painful truth.. and some just cant handle the truth...

analog sticks are for *******, if i wanted to play with a stick id plug in my old amiga 500 or c-64... this analog stick is a step back in gaming.. not forward..

i remember like it happened yesterday how revolutionary and innovative the joypad was when it first came out. i was so happy to finally get away from the joystick.. and now i have to use that bull again ?

no thanks.. they can shove that shtick up their noses..

there should be at least an option wether you wanna use that stupid thing or not, and not make it a tool that is required to play the game.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:55 AM
Randall Graves*

The question I have is this.

Is either game worth buying a 360 over? or am I just better off sticking to regular xbox and buying the games for 20 a pop?

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Quote:
because its the painful truth.. and some just cant handle the truth...

analog sticks are for *******, if i wanted to play with a stick id plug in my old amiga 500 or c-64... this analog stick is a step back in gaming.. not forward..

i remember like it happened yesterday how revolutionary and innovative the joypad was when it first came out. i was so happy to finally get away from the joystick.. and now i have to use that bull again ?

no thanks.. they can shove that shtick up their noses..

there should be at least an option wether you wanna use that stupid thing or not, and not make it a tool that is required to play the game.

I do think you are being a bit extreme in your statement, however I also agree. It's amazing to me that after years of technology, the time takin to put in good graphics, make smooth gameplay, add new controll schemes, music etc. that the developers cannot make customizable controlls. As you stated not everyone likes the joysticks. I personally am ok with them (and the comparason to to the atari stick is off. one takes a thumb one takes a hand), but I see what you mean. Your paying 20-70 bucks for a game you sould be able to controlll it however you ant. X should be able to be shoot if you want o sould be able to be whatever you want etc. . . .I do fear with Kush this would prolly just lead to mor buggs though.

Another thing I never understood why neither side ever did is carry over of rosters. For example you can load your 2k5 roster on 2k6. This wouldnt be that difficult to implament. And if people don't wanna loose their team they are forced to buy the same companies game again every year. Creating brand loyalty. but hey what do I know, kush's momentum thing is a far better idea apparently. Who dosnt wanna be able to not throw a check.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 10:24 AM
wshld

Send a message via AIM to wshld Send a message via MSN to wshld
you will be able to play with the analog stick or the "classic" controls

wshld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 10:44 AM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post
2k has really fallen off since 2k3, the graphics got worse and they've had a crap load of bugs. makes you wonder what theyre thinking. how could they turn a good series to crap so fast? i think im going with 07 this year.
I'm shocked nobody has brought this up. 2K sports games are probably the buggiest and least stable sports games ever made. It wouldn't shock me if 2K gets hit with a class action if their 2007 lineup is as buggy as previous lineups.

2K is one of the worse game companies in the history of games. I'll stick with EA thx.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Feyd

I posted this in the NHL 07 pre-release thread, but realized it probably belongs here.

Quote:
Well, now that I've played both the 07 and 2k7 demo, I can add my 2 cents.

No surprise, but the EA demo is far more impressive than the 2k7 demo -- I think we all pretty much knew that this would be the case. Yeah, it's only a shootout, but the innovation is evident. The big question is how will the game play 5-on-5? I know a lot of people (myself included) are quite cautious when it comes to EA NHL games. From what I've seen from gameplay videos and early reviews, I think 07 will play fine. Sure, there will be some issues, but EVERY game has issues (the vaunted 2K series included).

As for 2K7, I felt that the demo was incredibly boring/stale. The presentation felt slapped together (big surprise), and the whole arena atmosphere felt like a morgue. I can't stand Cinemotion. I guess the gameplay is OK, although it's impossible to tell as you can't edit any of the sliders or difficulty level. I think it's pretty safe to say that the gameplay will scale to what 2k6 was capable of, as it appears to be a near mirror image of the game with a few enhancements.

I haven't bought an EA NHL game since NHL 2003, but this year I'm going to forgo the 2K offering and get NHL 07. Don't get me wrong, the 2K series has been strong since 2K3, but they have done little in terms of innovation since then and it's really starting to feel stale, especially on next-gen. Now that EA has finally decided to offer a game that appeals to simmers, 2K will actually have to INNOVATE or risk getting blown out of the water.

Feyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
I'm shocked nobody has brought this up. 2K sports games are probably the buggiest and least stable sports games ever made. It wouldn't shock me if 2K gets hit with a class action if their 2007 lineup is as buggy as previous lineups.

2K is one of the worse game companies in the history of games. I'll stick with EA thx.
Bit of an overstatement. It's really the games Kush is involved with that are riddled with bugs (NHL and MLB). NBA seems to just fine. Then again the people behind the NFL games are working on that now as well.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Hyack57

Interestingly in a Best Buy ad I noticed the PC version of NHL 07 will cost roughly $25-30 while the XBOX 360 costs $65-70. LOL What a deal for those who play the game on their computer.

I've owned my XBOX for only a few months but have been sold on its graphical capabilities. I've been playing Oblivion all this time and have been in awe at the stunning visuals and details and cannot wait to see what NHL 07 will look like and possibly Halo 3 later in the year.

For those deadfast 2k fans who insist on playing hockey games for realism just stick with 2k4 and don't buy anymore games. You are set. You have your realism. Graphics don't matter, innovations don't matter, nothing matters but gameplay. So shut up and leave this arguement. If you want strategy and realism than stick to Madden. Sure there aer gimme goals in EA 06 (skate right to left across the crease and deposit said puck into the net with ease) but if you avoid that simple move it's much more enjoyable.

With EA if you want to play a strictly vertical game than do so. Skate up the ice with the defenceman all the way to the goal and then skate back all the way to defend. You can do it, but likely to not succeed. My buddy always is a puck hog when we play and he cannot understand why none of his end to end rushes produce goals. Meanwhile I'm cycling the puck like a mad man in the offensive zone onto the throw it into the slot for a one timer and BLAMO. Score beotch!

I appreciate EA's motto of "If it's in the game, it's IN the game". I love the fantastical detail of EA games. The only issue I may have with NHL 07 is their player ratings as again they seem to be off.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 06:09 PM
skullman80

Send a message via AIM to skullman80 Send a message via Yahoo to skullman80
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_Canadian View Post
Interestingly in a Best Buy ad I noticed the PC version of NHL 07 will cost roughly $25-30 while the XBOX 360 costs $65-70. LOL What a deal for those who play the game on their computer.

I've owned my XBOX for only a few months but have been sold on its graphical capabilities. I've been playing Oblivion all this time and have been in awe at the stunning visuals and details and cannot wait to see what NHL 07 will look like and possibly Halo 3 later in the year.

For those deadfast 2k fans who insist on playing hockey games for realism just stick with 2k4 and don't buy anymore games. You are set. You have your realism. Graphics don't matter, innovations don't matter, nothing matters but gameplay. So shut up and leave this arguement. If you want strategy and realism than stick to Madden. Sure there aer gimme goals in EA 06 (skate right to left across the crease and deposit said puck into the net with ease) but if you avoid that simple move it's much more enjoyable.

With EA if you want to play a strictly vertical game than do so. Skate up the ice with the defenceman all the way to the goal and then skate back all the way to defend. You can do it, but likely to not succeed. My buddy always is a puck hog when we play and he cannot understand why none of his end to end rushes produce goals. Meanwhile I'm cycling the puck like a mad man in the offensive zone onto the throw it into the slot for a one timer and BLAMO. Score beotch!

I appreciate EA's motto of "If it's in the game, it's IN the game". I love the fantastical detail of EA games. The only issue I may have with NHL 07 is their player ratings as again they seem to be off.
The 360 version is the only one getting the brand new engine etc...

All other versions including the PC version will just be minorly tweaked. It's kind of nice for us 360 owners this time, as we are usually on the other end of the spectrum(Madden/NCAA)

skullman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Kung Pow

Quote:
There is an option, you will be able to use the normal a,b,x,y.

Kung Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Platapie

Sigh, as per usual these hockey game debates have devolved into a cess pool of poorly thought out arguments. Actually, I guess that's a trend for HFBoards in general lately.

Quote:
For those deadfast 2k fans who insist on playing hockey games for realism just stick with 2k4 and don't buy anymore games. You are set. You have your realism. Graphics don't matter, innovations don't matter, nothing matters but gameplay.
First of all 2k4 sucked. Second of all, while 2K3 was the best game of hockey I've ever played, for its time, it was still far from perfect. In fact, the 2k series, while being vastly superior gameplay wise in the past to EA, is still VERY far from being a perfect sim. In other words, there is plenty of room for improvement.

Quote:
So shut up and leave this arguement. If you want strategy and realism than stick to Madden.
I see, Hockey can't have strategy and realism can it? I swear, I've seen fanboys who I knew thought like this, but you're the first to come out and actually directly state it. Congrats.. I guess.

Quote:
Sure there aer gimme goals in EA 06 (skate right to left across the crease and deposit said puck into the net with ease) but if you avoid that simple move it's much more enjoyable.
I agree, money goals are for chumps, and every hockey game has them.

Quote:
With EA if you want to play a strictly vertical game than do so. Skate up the ice with the defenceman all the way to the goal and then skate back all the way to defend. You can do it, but likely to not succeed.
This is an accomplishment?

Quote:
My buddy always is a puck hog when we play and he cannot
understand why none of his end to end rushes produce goals.
Your friend didn't understand why he couldn't do end to end rushes with his defenseman and score goals continually?

Quote:
Meanwhile I'm cycling the puck like a mad man in the offensive zone onto the throw it into the slot for a one timer and BLAMO. Score beotch!

Quote:
I appreciate EA's motto of "If it's in the game, it's IN the game". I love the fantastical detail of EA games.
Ah yes, the motto-- if they say it, it must be accurate. All 2K has to do is change theirs too "If EA does it, we do it better", maybe then they'll get more market share, you know, because the motto directly states that they're better.

EA is hardly fantastical.. actually I guess it could be considering it rarely mimiced hockey in the past-- you know the thing that's not "in the game", but rather, "is the game" at hand.

Quote:
The only issue I may have with NHL 07 is their player ratings as again they seem to be off.
When your barometer of acceptable gameplay is that your friend can't skate up the ice with his d-man end to end and score, you'd likely be happy with any hockey game.

For myself, and I would hope many others, I'll be grabbing both and making an honest decision as to which I prefer.

Quote:
I hate how a wrap around or s move beet the goalies 95% of the time on 2k7. I played 7 minute periods, treaked the game, had manual aim, on hall of famer and I still scored 10 goals a game. (my 82 game season had martin st. louis ending with over 100 goals)
Might I ask how you got your hands on 2k7? If you're talking about 2k6, you're using money goals, and if you can't stop yourself from using money goals, then you will dominate every single hockey video game you have ever bought/probably ever will buy. As for it "limiting the way you can play", I suppose if you enjoy scoring 7-8 goals a game easily, then it's no biggy, but this applies to every hockey game ever created.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Good post Platapie but well thought out and articulate arguments don't fly around here. While there certainly are some exceptions, this and the other NHL '07 thread have convinced me that EA attracts a much different type of player than 2K!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Do they both have a salary cap?

Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote