HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keenan In Ottawa?

View Poll Results: Hire Mike Keenan In Ottawa?
Yes 12 17.39%
No 57 82.61%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-03-2006, 05:04 PM
SenatorElect*

vCash: 500
Keenan In Ottawa?

It's never too early to start a fire the coach/GM thread ; in that spirit, would you support or oppose the hiring of Iron Mike Keenan as coach and/or GM? He's won the Cup, he's available, and nothing would light a match under the Sens like Keenan (except perhaps John Brophy). The downside is that he is not a pleasant man, and comes with a 'best before' date shorter than that of a gas station Jos. Louis. What say you?

SenatorElect* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I do not think ether Muckler or Murray should be fired, but in the odd case that Muckler decides to pack up his GM's sweater and retire I would support making Murray the GM and hiring Keenan as a coach.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 05:07 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobofish View Post
I do not think ether Muckler or Murray should be fired, but in the odd case that Muckler decides to pack up his GM's sweater and retire I would support making Murray the GM and hiring Keenan as a coach.
I agree though Quinn would look alot better as our next coach.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Totally forgot about him, your right, I would prefure Quinn. I still would like to keep Murray and make him GM.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 05:23 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

I agree with Murray for GM, but a big "no" for Keenan as coach as far as I'm concerned.

The Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Brandi

Can't stand Quinn . He's old school and I don't like his methods. Too much drama that sorrounds him.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 05:55 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Can't stand Quinn . He's old school and I don't like his methods. Too much drama that sorrounds him.
He does create an us against the world mentality though. Something the Sens could have used over the last few playoff runs.

Old
09-03-2006, 06:04 PM
theticketguy

Quote:
Pat Quinn has not adapted to the "New" NHL and would not know how to coach the talent that Ottawa has. His "Thugs" on the Blue team could not play with speed and finesse, which is why they did not participate in the post season last year.

The old NHL allowed the thugs to get away with hooking and holding, which Ottawa could skate through in the regular season but got caught up against in the playoffs.

theticketguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 06:59 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theticketguy View Post
The old NHL allowed the thugs to get away with hooking and holding, which Ottawa could skate through in the regular season but got caught up against in the playoffs.
QFT. It's funny how quickly the memories fade, but you just brought them all back for me.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Pothier

A big "No" to Mad Mike I PERIOD.

Pothier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Brandi

I still believe in Murray. It's to easy to jump on the coach for a bad year. So many things just didn't go our way... so I'd like to give him a few more years before we send him packin

Hey, what about bringing Bowman out of retirement..

Old
09-03-2006, 07:16 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post

Hey, what about bringing Bowman out of retirement..

That would be a dream. Bowman

Old
09-03-2006, 08:57 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
**** that.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 09:00 PM
senility

comes with a 'best before' date shorter than that of a gas station Jos. Louis.

Are you kidding me, thanks to the miracle of modern preservatives, those things probably last for thousands of years. As disturbing a thought as this may be, I'd venture to suggest that there is still some JL inside most of us. It's like that old "There's little McDonald's in everyone" jingle. Even though I haven't eaten there in more than 25 years, I have to concede that they are probably right. Shiver.

As for the topic at hand, I want absolutely nothing to do with Keenan as either the coach or the GM, thank you very much.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 09:46 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe View Post
**** that.
Quinn has beat the Sens 3 times, you may hate him but the guy knows how to coach, its not his fault the Leafs had no goaltending last season and missed the playoffs.

Old
09-03-2006, 10:07 PM
ISensFanI

theres more than jsut goaltending to the reason the Leafs didnt make the playoffs last year, and as for Quinn or Keenan no way I dont think Spezza would gell with them very well.

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 10:27 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Quinn has beat the Sens 3 times, you may hate him but the guy knows how to coach, its not his fault the Leafs had no goaltending last season and missed the playoffs.
He's too much of an *******. Might as well have Don Cherry as our coach.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Frank Finnigan

Keenan would ruin this franchise. I'm glad to see that the poll is leaning the way it is and that there aren't too many people out there that would want him in Ottawa. He's horrible.

Frank Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

I'd be surprised if Keenan lands another GM job. Ever again.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 02:00 AM
Don Draper

Quinn has shown great disdain for coaching youth, so he might be the worst pick with how our team is built. Besides that, I wouldnt mind someone from that school of thought, who seemingly knows how to push the right buttons, if not go over the edge.

Another thing would be Quinn wouldnt be moronic enough to play Alfie 21+ minutes a night during the regular season when we have a playoff spot locked up in October. How about we keep him in the 18min range so his shot doesnt go wonky with 2 weeks to go in the season?

Don Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 07:16 AM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
I'd much rather stick with Muckler. Hes more conservative and doesn't like to rip a team apart. I'd rather have year after year of regular success than take a run for all the marbles and have to dismantle the next year. I would like a new head coach, Murray has proved that he is unable to adapt in certain situations. Reuniting the cash line will only take you so far.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 07:50 AM
Brandi

Quote:

There was more wrong with the team than goaltending. Always messing witht he line-ups, never taking ownership for his own coaching mistakes. He was there fora long time and I say no improvements with teh team. He is too much of a complainer on the bench, and he doesn't looked for the top skilled guys. He plays guys like Domi and wants them to get riled up. Beating Ottawa in the playoffs was no major task if you ask me . It is very clear we are not a good playoff team right now, and even the weakest of times with more confidence can contain\beat us.

Old
09-04-2006, 09:30 AM
EJsens1

Quote:
That would be a dream. Bowman
If Marv Levy can come out of retirement, nothing is impossible!

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 09:34 AM
kyle747

With Keennan we might win the cup- or crash and burn :-)
Murray will never win anything here in Ottawa and Muckler looks somewhat 'stiff' as GM. Hasn't won any trades yet (to my mind) - but has lost a few.

As coach - well, Murray has never done anything in the playoffs in his career, can't see why he would start now at his advanced age.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 01:04 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
With Keennan we might win the cup- or crash and burn :-)
Murray will never win anything here in Ottawa and Muckler looks somewhat 'stiff' as GM. Hasn't won any trades yet (to my mind) - but has lost a few.

As coach - well, Murray has never done anything in the playoffs in his career, can't see why he would start now at his advanced age.
What? I think you are being somewhat pessimistic with Murray and not very fair to Muckler.

Heatley for Hossa - Hossa wanted more than we could afford, check the stats and you'll see that Heatley had more points, is bigger, cheaper and younger. We got the best from that deal. (de Vries did nothing for us and was over paid)

Havlat deal - we got the best we could for another guy who wanted too much. It remains to be seen how well or not we did with this trade but Mucks did his best.

Schaefer for Salo - I think we won this deal without question.

Arnason for Bochenski - IMO I would have preferred that we keep Bo but everybody was crying for a second line centre and based soley on his stats Arnason should have been better, but he wasn't. Remains to be seen if Bo becomes a star, if not little lost.

Varada for Klepis - where is Klepis today? Varada did help for a few years.

Smolinski for Gleason - Gleason is only now starting to be good in the NHL but he didn't want to sign here just like Berard and Smoke gave us a number of 40 point seasons. He was a versatile forward who mentored Spezza and Vermette.

I do agree that Keenan would either win a cup or crash and burn with this team, if they would even listen to him after years of being pampered by this organization. I would prefer to see him as coach than GM although he is not afraid to make a deal to try and improve his team. And no to Pat Quinn, we have had too many years of hating him to start liking him now. Let's wait for MUckler to retire and Murray to be GM, by that time Babcock will have been shown the door by Detroit or buddy in Bingo may be given a shot. I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Eaves getting an NHL job in Ottawa some time down the road.

Last edited by aragorn: 09-04-2006 at 03:53 PM.
aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote