HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Fire Barry Trotz Thread

Old
09-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
The Official Fire Barry Trotz Thread

Its about time we started one ... chamber is filled with enough bullets to get out of the first round

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 07:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

this thread is premature by about 8 months.

If we're one-and-out again this year, then yes, it's worth discussion. Either way, I don't think that Poile would FIRE Trotz, in light of conscientious service, but I could see his contract not being renewed, when the time comes.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
Its about time we started one ... chamber is filled with enough bullets to get out of the first round
Why fire a guy BEFORE the season starts, when he actully has the bullets to fire and still misses then you my want a change. He did a fantasitic job last season given that we were 2nd in lost man games.

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
A little early

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2006, 09:33 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Why fire a guy BEFORE the season starts, when he actully has the bullets to fire and still misses then you my want a change. He did a fantasitic job last season given that we were 2nd in lost man games.
I don't know if I'd say he did a "fantastic job," given the nature of the problems that we DID have, but I will say that there can truly be "no excuses" this year.

Old
09-03-2006, 10:32 PM
braindead

Keep Trotz- fire Joe T Choker.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Evil Genius

Fire Trotz?

Didn't his star goalie get sick like a week before the playoffs started last season? You can hardly blame a coach for that one.

Evil Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Genius View Post
Fire Trotz?

Didn't his star goalie get sick like a week before the playoffs started last season? You can hardly blame a coach for that one.
uuuhhh no ... he was not sick ... it was an old problem ... that the med staff misdiagnosed

Old
09-04-2006, 01:04 AM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
uuuhhh no ... he was not sick ... it was an old problem ... that the med staff misdiagnosed

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 07:46 AM
PeterAngelo
In Elliott We Trust

Trotz wants his name on the cup this year though. keep him, win the cup, re-sign him. simple....

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 10:08 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I am not sure I am willing to give Trotzy all season to right the ship. But I think he has until December as it stands. Most likely scenario is to ride out his contract unless they tumble out the gate. The raw material is there-- let's see what he can do with it first.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 10:52 AM
vopatsrash

There are aspects of Trotz that are frustrating, but if they have a repeat of last regular season where they get off to a strong start and maintain the 2nd-5th best record in the west throughout the season, even if it means the team plays 30 minutes of each game well and 30 minutes of each game in a mind-bogglingly lazy and undisciplined way, I think there is no way they'll fire him unless they lose embarassingly in the first round, despite good health.

I think it would take a 2003-2004-level start for there to even be a chance of his firing during the season.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 10:54 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'll scrutinize February-March more than the postseason, this year. That's my biggest qualm with Trotz. I want to see some adaptivity this year, as well...and that's on the whole coaching staff.

Old
09-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Genius
Fire Trotz?

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=51160

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Poile
In layman’s terms, the clots showed no change, which means they’d been there for a long time and posed no more threats.

Old
09-04-2006, 01:37 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Joe, I'm hardly a doctor but I do know one of the team Doctors through his son. From what I've gathered, they had to monitor the clots over a period of time to determine what threat they posed. They did misdiagnose it to an extent, but they knew the risk of a misdiagnosis was a lost season for the Preds.

Of course, it could have gone the other way. If they had diagnosed what actually happened and told him to play on, they would have run the risk of a misdiagnosis that could have easily killed him. When you weigh the risks, there really was no decision to be made. When you are playing with life and death, you always err on the side of caution.

Tomas has to be thankful the Preds were willing to sacrifice a season for his safety. And when contract negotiations come about, his wife and kids will help him remember the decisions made by Poile, Trotz, and company in the days following the discovery of the clots. Players rarely take a discount any more, but if ever there was a chance in the NHL for it to happen. This is the mostly likely time.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:

Even if the medical staff misdiagnosed Vokoun's issues (which I am not agreeing with), you're still missing the point that Trotz is not the team doctor.

I stand by my original statement:

Old
09-04-2006, 02:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Even if the medical staff misdiagnosed Vokoun's issues (which I am not agreeing with), you're still missing the point that Trotz is not the team doctor.

I agree with you, but to be fair, you're likely not familiar with the circumstances of the team over the past few seasons that generated this thread. It's not "we lost in the first round last year, no excuses," but rather, a myriad of other, more troubling concerns.

Old
09-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I agree with you, but to be fair, you're likely not familiar with the circumstances of the team over the past few seasons that generated this thread. It's not "we lost in the first round last year, no excuses," but rather, a myriad of other, more troubling concerns.
Certainly true, although I would say that with my background I'm very familiar with Vokoun and his situation (and that is what I'm speaking directly towards).

Old
09-04-2006, 02:36 PM
tulsytrid1

I am on the fence about this one. While I know that Trotz did a fine job last few years with all the injuries we had, I think there are things that he does that just seem to get to me. One, he changes lines way too much in my opinion. That may just be me, but I wish he would leave a line together for more than 3 or 4 games. Secondly, his much talked about issues he seems to have with the younger players. He may have run Hartnell out of town. Thirdly, although we did lose our #1 goaltender going into the playoffs, Mace played pretty well in Vokoun's absence. I thought we got outcoached in that San Jose series. After the first game, Wilson made adjustments on the PK and in other areas; Trotz failed to make any adjustments that I saw. We tried doing the same thing over and over and over. Now maybe that is just the style of game we play; however, when one team makes adjustments and stops that style of play in its tracks, some changes have to be made especially in the playoffs. I would give Trotz until mid-season; see how things are going. I probably wouldn't fire him unless we are tanking the season, but if it looks as if we are struggling a little bit; I would keep him until the seasons end and probably not renew his contract.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 03:35 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

As I said not too long ago...losing the last two seasons in the first round didn't bother me. In fact, I had a satisfied smile on my face, even after being eliminated in six by Detroit. We played beyond our means, and you can't not be proud of that. Last season was a different story. We had our best year statistically, but we never quite seemed to be doing anything more than coasting, and the way we went out in the playoffs was NOT something to be proud of, and I've said before...we didn't lose because Vokoun was out. We lost because a) yes, there were injuries, but mainly b) in three games, at least, we didn't start playing until the 10 minute mark of the third period. If a team isn't "up" for a playoff game, there are problems both in captaincy and the coaching staff. That's just the way it is.

Old
09-04-2006, 04:30 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

What makes you think it wasn't misdiagnosed?

They've pretty much said as much.

It wasn't the team doctors that diagnosed it either it was the doctors he went to see at the Mayo clinic, if I remember correctly.

Handtrick, you're a doctor, am I missing something?

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
What makes you think it wasn't misdiagnosed?
I didn't say that I disagreed. It's not central to my point, so I let it go.

Old
09-04-2006, 04:54 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Trotz deserves another shot, no excuses this season though, we have to see an improvement and a more aggressive attacking offense, we have to see players put in the position to suceeed,. more often.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Pred303

while i don't disagree that if the team fails miserably during the regular season and somehow fails to make the playoffs, or if the team flops horribly in the first round of the playoffs against a team they should beat that trotz will be shown the door (unless of course there are unforeseeable drastic extenuating circumstances)..

however, it's certainly premature and downright embarrassing to see people on np.com calling for his head before the season even starts..

i can come up with several scenarios where even with a first round failure in the playoffs, trotz's job will be safe.. injuries of course are totally unpredictable and change expectations.. then what if the preds win the central division? do you then fire trotz even if they go out in the first round again?..

to me, trotz's job is secure as long as the team continues to show some type of improvement.. either in record, in finish in the division, or in playoff performance.. even if some don't like how he might handle some individuals, and i admit sometimes i don't either, how could it not be?

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 05:56 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
while i don't disagree that if the team fails miserably during the regular season and somehow fails to make the playoffs, or if the team flops horribly in the first round of the playoffs against a team they should beat that trotz will be shown the door (unless of course there are unforeseeable drastic extenuating circumstances)..

however, it's certainly premature and downright embarrassing to see people on np.com calling for his head before the season even starts..

i can come up with several scenarios where even with a first round failure in the playoffs, trotz's job will be safe.. injuries of course are totally unpredictable and change expectations.. then what if the preds win the central division? do you then fire trotz even if they go out in the first round again?..

to me, trotz's job is secure as long as the team continues to show some type of improvement.. either in record, in finish in the division, or in playoff performance.. even if some don't like how he might handle some individuals, and i admit sometimes i don't either, how could it not be?
I agree, for the most part...but it's important to consider that there are different areas of improvement. You can win more games but still have taken steps backward in other areas, IMO. I'd like to see all cylinders firing this year, rather than "well, this was good...this wasn't...but this was," as was the case much of last year. I'm not asking for perfection, just the effort.