HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heritage Classic... People's expectations??

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 09:54 AM
Brynster

vCash: 500
Heritage Classic... People's expectations??

Whoa everybody!!

I'm worried that people's expectations are just a little too high for that warm up game with Gretz and company at 3:00mst. You do realize that it's really not going to be much more than a "whirl around the ice for fun" event? It's just a bonus to the NHL game anyway... thrown in there to ADD to the whole day. A "value added" event for old time's sake. A chance to look back and show appreciation to both teams for their wonderful history in NHL. It will be GREAT fun, but not a GREAT game. Lower your expectations or you'll sure to be disappointed. Can hard wait to see the familiar faces though!!

Old
11-16-2003, 10:04 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Nobody expects it to be an intense game at all. It will be fun, and it will be sloppy. But that's what alumni games are about, and this one, if anything, will be more competative then the average game as there will be alot of pride out there on the ice as two of the NHLs very few Dynastys meet. There should be lots of scoring, VERY little hitting (I'll be shocked if somebody actually knocks anybody down). But I don't think anybody is expecting to see a intense game like you say Bryn

Old
11-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Brynster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Nobody expects it to be an intense game at all. It will be fun, and it will be sloppy. But that's what alumni games are about, and this one, if anything, will be more competative then the average game as there will be alot of pride out there on the ice as two of the NHLs very few Dynastys meet. There should be lots of scoring, VERY little hitting (I'll be shocked if somebody actually knocks anybody down). But I don't think anybody is expecting to see a intense game like you say Bryn

I hope you're right. But some of the various postings here and on OilFans
does worry me a little. I just don't want people to think these guys are going 60 minutes full out. 30 mintes might be a push for some guys. Hope they have some fun out there and that the fans will have a great time too. Forecast isn't all that great though. Accuweather is calling for flurries and a high of -7... but that can, and hopefully will change. Reminds me of the last outdoor minor hockey game I ever played... -6 with a windchill at the old Tipton arena (before they turned it into a shell)! THAT was a loooong time ago.

Old
11-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Obsessed

My biggest expectaton is a victory for the Oilers of today. Truly it will be the hockey experience of a life time for myself. I never got the chance to attend a Stanley Cup game against the Islanders,Bruins or Flyers. So next to that this will probably be the closest I'll come in terms of excitement.

Its going to be the ambiance that will be so great. Soaking in the atmosphere of 60,000 people cheering on the greatest game on earth. Imagine that Ryan Smyth game winner in front of 60,000 fans. The old timers game is just going to be alot of laughs and alot of fun.

I can hardly wait!!

Old
11-16-2003, 11:43 AM
Walsher

Frankly any chance to see Wayne, Jari, Coffey, Fuhr, possibly Messier (if you believe Slats), and the rest of the boys reunited and in Oilers colors I would gladly take. This may be the last time anyone will see gretz in this type of game and I don't care if it is 2 shifts. The fact that my biggest sports hero is even going to be in the same building again as me is absolutely exciting whether he scores 8 goals or is minus 10. ADD this type of game all you can - it may never happen again.

Old
11-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Goil

Send a message via ICQ to Goil
The first standing ovation when they introduce all of the Oilers and I choke back tears will make it worth it. I hate old timer games, but this isn't about a game, it's about who's playing it. I could care less what happens after the opening faceoff...

Old
11-16-2003, 01:11 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I just want to hear one more time...."Gretzky....to Kurri....he scoooooores!!!"
That'll make everything worth it.

Old
11-16-2003, 02:40 PM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goil
The first standing ovation when they introduce all of the Oilers and I choke back tears will make it worth it. I hate old timer games, but this isn't about a game, it's about who's playing it. I could care less what happens after the opening faceoff...

Bang on!!

Closed Thread