HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: RIP Steve Irwin

Old
09-04-2006, 03:24 AM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
OT: RIP Steve Irwin

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles Reef near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of the state capital of Brisbane.

Queensland ambulance service spokesman Bob Hamil confirmed that a diver had been killed by a stingray off Lowe Isles Reef but refused to say who the victim was until relatives had been notified.

A rescue helicopter was sent from the nearby city of Cairns, and paramedics from it confirmed the diver's death.

"The probable cause of death is stingray strike to the chest," Hamil said.

Staff at Australia Zoo, Irwin's zoo in southern Queensland, said they had heard the reports but could not comment.

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

Last edited by jfont: 09-05-2006 at 10:07 PM.
Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 03:31 AM
A_Mack17

crocodiles all around the world take a sigh of relief...

he was a great guy, way to young to die! im still in shock

RIP Steve

my condolences go to his family

A_Mack17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 04:38 AM
ExplosionsintheGine

RIP Steve Irwin

World famous wildlife warrior Steve Irwin has died in a freak accident on the Great Barrier Reef, killed by a stingray barb which pierced his chest.

Friends believe the Crocodile Hunter, 44, may have died instantly when struck by the stingray while filming a sequence for his eight-year-old daughter Bindi's new TV series.

The TV star and naturalist's final, fatal confrontation with a wild animal occurred in shallow water at Batt Reef off Port Douglas on Monday morning.

Unconscious, he was pulled aboard his research vessel, Croc One, for a 30-minute dash to Low Isle, where an emergency helicopter had been summoned at about 11am, his Australia Zoo said in a statement.

The crew of the Croc One performed constant CPR during the voyage to Low Isle, but medical staff pronounced Mr Irwin dead about noon.

Mr Irwin's death was only the third known stingray death in Australian waters, said shark and stingray expert Victoria Brims.

Wildlife experts said the normally passive creatures only sting in defence, striking with a bayonet-like barb when they feel threatened or are trodden on.

Last edited by jfont: 09-05-2006 at 10:07 PM.
ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 04:39 AM
ExplosionsintheGine

Crap i just made one...lock it i guess rip

Old
09-04-2006, 05:42 AM
Santeh

Hello all,

Just waking up here in the U.S. and heard the news. I also was shocked and saddened to learn of Mr. Irwin's death. Way too young to have passed. My thoughts also go out to his family and friends.

As a biologist who has worked in aquariums, and volunteered in zoos, I must admit I was generally a little concerned with how risky Mr. Irwin was in some of his activities. That being said his passion for the field was obvious and I feel Mr. Irwin's passing is a true loss for everyone.

While working at SeaWorld I was envenomed by a stingray once. I must say that the endotoxin of the speecies that stung me was quite strong. However, I was lucky in that I got hit in the forearm even though I could feel the poison work its way up my arm and into the chest, at which point it natutally became dangerous. Thankfully there was medical services nearby and I got prompt attention. I have also had very tall/big co-workers "go down" from an envenomation via stingrays. As such learning that Mr. Irwin died from a stingray envenomation directly to the heart, especially so far away from medical services, was not a surprise. Of course, risk of the barb breaking off in the wound site is something to be concerned of as well, especially since the barb can be serrated.

Nevertheless, as I said I feel his passing to be sad and quite a loss. I do wish the best for his family and his Australian Zoo.

Always,

Sam J.

EDIT: One thing I was not aware of, even with my own envenomation, was the risk of bacterial infection as this aparently can be very dangerous with a sting like this. Even more reason for pause with animals like these, thus knowing where they maybe found and how to avoid an "incident" with these beautiful, and when necessary defensive, animals...

Last edited by Santeh: 09-04-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Santeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Matsi
got paws?

I always thought of him as a great person and for some time really loved his Crocodile Hunter series. It's sad to hear about that and I'd like to express my condolences to his family and friends...

Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Quattro

Very sad. I can't think of anybody who loved life and lived it to its fullest more than Steve Irwin. Condolences to his family.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Guitpik

I just saw the news on Yahoo's main page. While raising my daughter, we were devout Steve Irwin fans. Although he put himself in many dangerous situations, to read of him being killed by the one of the creatures he loved so much was hard to digest.

I immediately informed the family and we all crowded around the computer to read the sad story of his passing. He will certainly be missed and his ability to bring a closer understanding of the animal kindom to the human animal is so much appreciated and irreplaceable.

Guitpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Stingray > Crocodile

Ok, seriously, the Croc hunter will be missed. He just had a winning personality that everyone liked. I'm sad to see him go and my heart is with his family.

RIP Steve Irwin

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Big Daddy

Passion, enthusiasm, energy, he brought it all to his life long mission of protecting animals and educating the public while entertaining us at the same time. Rest in peace and condolences to the family.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 05:09 AM
Puffo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Passion, enthusiasm, energy, he brought it all to his life long mission of protecting animals and educating the public while entertaining us at the same time. Rest in peace and condolences to the family.
Second that.

R.I.P.

Puffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Matt13

"Look at the size of that croc! I'm going to stick my thumb up it's butt!"

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Fripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Agree 100%. Yesterday Animal Planet ran a couple Steve Irwin biography shows from a couple years back. Amazing guy.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 04:38 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie018 View Post
Crap i just made one...lock it i guess rip
Hey, how are you involved w/ the Mariners? I play for them this year.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 07:11 PM
ExplosionsintheGine

yes our rink is so ghetto dude lol easy street.

Old
09-05-2006, 08:00 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie018 View Post
yes our rink is so ghetto dude lol easy street.
Heh, I'm playin on the 18AA team there. At least the Titans locker room is good?

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 10:34 PM
ExplosionsintheGine

Everything there pretty much sucks I was there when they built it, it got crapped out when the Mariners Juniors stopped, one time they turned off the compressor's because of money and we got to our game and the ice was all slushie lol.

Old
09-06-2006, 06:14 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
it looks like reggie can breathe a sigh of relief now...

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/5287700/detail.html

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote