HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clarification

Old
09-04-2006, 05:41 PM
mike14

vCash: 500
Clarification

Just trying to find out what the standard definition of "kids" is one these boards. There's a lot of talk about not enough of them in the line up but what is the cut-off date thatstops them being kids ie. Hossa is 12 months older than Prucha, Prucha is a "kid" but is Hossa?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 06:12 PM
broadwayblue

I think "kids" are players under 25. That's about 10 years older than "kids" on this board.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 10:41 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I think "kids" are players under 25. That's about 10 years older than "kids" on this board.
but at the same time people still refer to ortmeyer as a 'kid' and he just turned 28

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 06:26 AM
jeffcarterfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
but at the same time people still refer to ortmeyer as a 'kid' and he just turned 28
A prospect who peoiple consider a kid would have to have legit talent. Prucha is a legit talent. Hossa is not. I think if you are 24 and haven't done anything on the NHL level but stink, you aren't a kid. You are a bust. Hossa is a bust.

jeffcarterfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 07:38 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcarterfan View Post
A prospect who peoiple consider a kid would have to have legit talent. Prucha is a legit talent. Hossa is not. I think if you are 24 and haven't done anything on the NHL level but stink, you aren't a kid. You are a bust. Hossa is a bust.
so ure sayin pock and immonen are considered busts right now?

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 07:50 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyutin 51 View Post
well imo you can't make a blanket statement about guys and say if a guy is X years old and hasn't played Y number of games then he is a bust. thats just plain stupid. you gotta look at every guy individually since we all know that there are guys that are 24-25 that are still considered part of the future and there are 19-20 year olds that aren't. but that goes completely against a generic age cutoff.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 09:08 AM
jeffcarterfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyutin 51 View Post
Well I suppose you can add in draft position as well. I believe Hossa was a first round pick. Pock was signed as a FA. So there really weren't any expectations for this guy. Immonen was a very late round draft pick.

Comparing Pock to Immonen also is not realistic. Immonen was one of the better players in the Finish elite league and AHL. Pock was a good offensive player in college and in the AHL but defensively, he wasn't any good in either.

jeffcarterfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Jack Torrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
Well at my job im stillrefered to as a kid and Im 28, I guess it all depnds on whos perspective it is, to some one older10 years i guess, i dont really know.

Jack Torrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 10:58 AM
shoothepuck

A kid or a rookie, should be defined by the amount of NHL experience they have, and not by age. After 1 full season or X amount of NHL games,(75-100) to include regular season and some playoff games, a player is no longer a kid or rookie. If a player turns pro at age 18, plays a full season in the NHL, next season, he may still be a "kid" due to his young age (19), but he is no longer a rookie.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Fletch

I agree with Shootthepuck...

although it's quite an arbitrary term and is used pretty loosely, as well, it depends on a person's perception of a player (few will call players they dislike a 'kid'). Seems as though hard-workers under 30 years old (i.e., Ortmeyer) are still considered a kid by many. I don't like to put strict rules to certain terms, but generally, I think of kids as inexperienced players who are still quite young (I'm thinking that players over 25/26 or no longer kids). A guy like Hossa, although close in age to Prucha, may not be considered a kid because of the time he spent in the league (and those that don't like him won't call him a kid).

Jack - I assume you work in a place where retirement doesn't typically occur in your late 30s and employees do not often start in their teens and have a career span of 10-15 years. The learning curve in hockey is, well, like a hockey stick. Players may not be any better than they were at 23/24 years of age. The workplace and the NHL are different in those regards.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
although it's quite an arbitrary term and is used pretty loosely, as well, it depends on a person's perception of a player (few will call players they dislike a 'kid'). Seems as though hard-workers under 30 years old (i.e., Ortmeyer) are still considered a kid by many. I don't like to put strict rules to certain terms, but generally, I think of kids as inexperienced players who are still quite young (I'm thinking that players over 25/26 or no longer kids). A guy like Hossa, although close in age to Prucha, may not be considered a kid because of the time he spent in the league (and those that don't like him won't call him a kid).

Jack - I assume you work in a place where retirement doesn't typically occur in your late 30s and employees do not often start in their teens and have a career span of 10-15 years. The learning curve in hockey is, well, like a hockey stick. Players may not be any better than they were at 23/24 years of age. The workplace and the NHL are different in those regards.
You mean like last year being Hossa first full season in the NHL. Those that don't call him a kid don't know what they are talking about..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 06:24 AM
Fletch

I think it's more like...

he played 60 NHL games over 3 seasons, as well as numerous AHL games during that time and in the SEL. It is a good deal of experience for a player in his first 'full' season.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote