HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Any news on Isbister?

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 11:16 AM
dem

vCash: 500
Any news on Isbister?

Any news on this guy? When is he supposed to be back? Is this "bone chip" a serious injury??

Old
11-16-2003, 12:14 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Any news on this guy? When is he supposed to be back? Is this "bone chip" a serious injury??
Latest reports in the newspapers today say that he really wanted to get back in against Calgary, but wasn't quite ready. Should be good to go against the Hawks on Tuesday, supposedly.

Who comes out, then?

Bart

Old
11-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto

Who comes out, then?

Bart
I'm guessing Salmeleinen comes out.. I really am not fond of these new lines. I think we should give Isbister - Smyth - Hemsky another try.. Izzy was really playing well before he got injured in the Ottawa game.. :mad:

Old
11-16-2003, 12:24 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I'm guessing Salmeleinen comes out.. I really am not fond of these new lines. I think we should give Isbister - Smyth - Hemsky another try.. Izzy was really playing well before he got injured in the Ottawa game.. :mad:
And Izzy was even taking (and winning) a few faceoffs, if I recall correctly.

I would almost rather take Chimera out, although he had a better game against the Flames... I guess it depends on whether the coaches feel it could be a 'tough' game physically against Chicago (if yes, keep Chimera, if not, keep Salmo).

Bart

Old
11-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Goil

Send a message via ICQ to Goil
When it's in your neck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem

Old
11-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
And Izzy was even taking (and winning) a few faceoffs, if I recall correctly.
Bart
Yep, he was. He seems to use his body really well on the draw.. he had one really big faceoff win a few games back where he won it clean back to the d-man (I think it was Bergeron..) and he blasted it for the goal. I'd personally keep Chimera in the lineup.. he showed a lot more grit and effort against Calgary than he has in a while. Salmo, while he's played decent, seems to get knocked down every time a guy touches him. Looks like he just needs to work on his strength a bit more, maybe add a little weight..

Old
11-16-2003, 05:05 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goil
When it's in your neck!
Bone chips are actually quite common in whiplash cases. The bone chip isn't anything severe, and it isn't career threatening, it is just a little painful and restricts a bit of movement...

Where it is now is probably better than it being in his hand.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:24 PM
barto

Quote:
Yep, he was. He seems to use his body really well on the draw.. he had one really big faceoff win a few games back where he won it clean back to the d-man (I think it was Bergeron..) and he blasted it for the goal. I'd personally keep Chimera in the lineup.. he showed a lot more grit and effort against Calgary than he has in a while. Salmo, while he's played decent, seems to get knocked down every time a guy touches him. Looks like he just needs to work on his strength a bit more, maybe add a little weight..
I thought Salmo was falling down on his own a few times against Calgary, like he had a bad skate-blade (something stuck on it?) or something more equipment-related... At least, I was HOPING it was something like that rather than him just being a klutz!

Yeah, after a fairly good showing against Calgary, I guess Chimera deserves another chance to keep it going.

Bart

Old
11-16-2003, 05:33 PM
Oi'll say!

Salmo's quickness compliments BG's lumbering control game very nicely, I think they had some good things going on last night. I'd like to see him get a few more games in this year but not at the expense of Chimera or Izzy right now.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:42 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I'm looking forward to Izzy's return! He was just starting to play like we all know he can. He was paying good physicaly and was getting his points. I think Chimera comes out and you go with Izzy..... Salmo and Georgesy (how the hell do you say Georgey with that bloody "s"???!?!) seemed to compliment each other. I wouldn't be to disapointed if it was Salmo who came out though, as Chimer finaly showed something.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Allan

Quote:
I would almost rather take Chimera out, although he had a better game against the Flames... I guess it depends on whether the coaches feel it could be a 'tough' game physically against Chicago (if yes, keep Chimera, if not, keep Salmo).

Bart
I think I'd want it the other way around. With the exception of the last game, Salmelainen seems to have played a more effective physical game than Chimera, especially on the forecheck.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
(how the hell do you say Georgey with that bloody "s"???!?!)
Georges - He's so big his name is plural

Old
11-16-2003, 05:51 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
(how the hell do you say Georgey with that bloody "s"???!?!)
"zhorzh" Soft G, silent S.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:14 PM
Digger12

Personally, I'd sit out Horcoff and insert Isbister w/ Hemsky and Chimera. Chimera's played center before in junior I believe, so it's not like he's never done it before. Plus, Hemsky needs someone to help him out physically on that line.

I'd rather keep BG/Stoll/Salmo together for at least one more game, IMO they had a strong game against Calgary, drove them nuts on the forecheck on a couple of shifts.

Old
11-16-2003, 10:42 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Personally, I'd sit out Horcoff and insert Isbister w/ Hemsky and Chimera. Chimera's played center before in junior I believe, so it's not like he's never done it before. Plus, Hemsky needs someone to help him out physically on that line.
That's actually a really interesting idea that I hadn't thought of.. the one problem is that MacT has stated already in the pre-season that he won't play Chimera at center. After all these horrible outings in the faceoff circle, the last thing the Oilers probably want to do is have another "converted" centerman in the lineup. I still think that Isbister and Hemsky would ideally compliment each other on a line though.. Izzy seems to always be around the net and Hemsky tends to flip a lot of passes to that general area. I hope Isbister is ready for Tuesday's game, I'm a big supporter of his and really hope he jumps back into the lineup with a bang! 20 goals is still easily reachable if he keeps up his good play..

Old
11-17-2003, 04:04 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Izzy seems to always be around the net and Hemsky tends to flip a lot of passes to that general area. I hope Isbister is ready for Tuesday's game, I'm a big supporter of his and really hope he jumps back into the lineup with a bang! 20 goals is still easily reachable if he keeps up his good play..
Yeah, I've liked Izzy for a while too. Although I'd rather see Hemsky putting shots on net and Izzy scooping up rebounds than Hemmer flipping passes in front of the net.

Old
11-17-2003, 09:21 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Yeah, I've liked Izzy for a while too. Although I'd rather see Hemsky putting shots on net and Izzy scooping up rebounds than Hemmer flipping passes in front of the net.
I suppose that works too.. the chances of Hemsky shooting are the same as those of Laraque suddenly becoming a 40 goal scorer though

Old
11-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Master Lok

How about take Horcoff out instead and reunite the Izzy-Smyth as centre line?

Isbister - Smyth - Hemsky
Torres - York - Dvorak
Moreau - Stoll - Pisani
Salmolainen (can he play LW) / Chimera - Sarno - Laraques

Old
11-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
i saw on tsn Izzy expected to be back for Tomrorow against Chicago

Old
11-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
How about take Horcoff out instead and reunite the Izzy-Smyth as centre line?

Isbister - Smyth - Hemsky
Torres - York - Dvorak
Moreau - Stoll - Pisani
Salmolainen (can he play LW) / Chimera - Sarno - Laraques
That's what I'd actually like to see happen.. Izzy just hasn't gotten a great chance on the top line. Every time MacT finally puts him back up there something unfortunate happens (injuries, a game filled with penalties etc).

Closed Thread