HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frolov

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2003, 09:40 AM
chuckie

vCash: 500
Frolov

I don't get to see many la games but what is up with frolov?Has he been invisible out there? I thought he might break out a bit more, I know this team is cursed with injuries but other guys seem to step up any thoughts????????

Old
11-09-2003, 10:12 AM
maximil

I am also a little bit disapointed with his lack of intensity and poor decision making. I think that he is the type of player who is going to take a couple of years to develop and might be the type of player who never reaches his full potential. Potentail wise he is a great asset. He's big, he can skate well and does a pretty decent job of protecting the puck with his long reach. I think that his problem is that he just needs to become a more confident and aggressive hockey player. I've watched several kings games this year and even when given the chance to make plays (like on the PP) he'll wait too long, make a poor pass and not try to use his assets to make something happen. (A good example of this would be in the first period during the Carolina game when he was in a great scoring area and lost the puck when he should have just taken a shot.) I'm optomistic, I think it is just going to take time and more experience. He isn't very old and has only been playing in the NHL for one season. This kid just needs to put it together mentally and it wouldn't hurt for him to add a little weight. As is he is an NHL hockey player, hopefully in a couple of years he can turn himself into a serious offensive threat.

Old
11-09-2003, 01:25 PM
funky

No offense intended hear but you guys all have to chill a bit. Frolov is a very young player who is already excelling at a great pace. We have to remember two huge things when dealing with Frolov.

The First is he has a big frame, and players like him or Jokinen or Thorton take a few extra years to fill out and learn to play with their size, something that will make Frolov a better player. Look at Chris Prongers early years.

The second thing is he is a year removed from playing in Russia on bigger rinks at a little slower pace. Give the boy a year or two to adapt more to our system and he will.

We put way to much pressure on our youngsters, they are not the save all end all solution. If we want another Palffy or Allison we will have to trade for that and let our young studs like Frolov grow to be a stud.

Sure he has mental lapses and sure we question his intensity, but lets re,member he is only 21, he has already made great strides in this league, and more importently, he will get bigger, he will get stronger and that alone will make him a better smarter player.

Just my 2 cents, no offense intended, just looking at it from a nuetral view as there are 29 other teams that would love Frolov or Gleason or Brown. Lets just be happy we have these future studs.

Old
11-09-2003, 02:50 PM
IGM

I want to play too. Frolov lead all rookie forwards in +/- last year and was in the tops in scoring while seeing less ice time than his competitors AND almost no PP time. He has 4 goals and 1 assist this year although he has spent the majority of his ice time playing with "energy" line (read one demensional grinders) guys instead of his teams top scoring forwards (unlike Nash, Chistov etc etc etc).

He is averaging less than 50 secs a game of PP time and only 12.44 mins of ice time a game. I think that all things considered that Frolov is playing way better than could be expected. I would be willing to bet that if he was on almost any other team in the league right now that he would be anchoring one of its top two lines and spending significantly more time on the PP as well as having even more points than he does right now.

I have said how I feel that Frolov isn't being given the best opp to succeed with AM right now in other threads so this one is kind of baffling to me. The kid is a star playing great two way hockey on a team that lives and dies by its D play. IF we ever get a number one center and Deader and Stympy back then maybe we can see what Frolov can do when given a legitimate shot with some talented players. That is, if AM will stop using him on the checking lines.

Old
11-09-2003, 03:51 PM
maximil

Funky hit the nail on the head.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:00 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

igm: frolov has done nothing to prove his worth on the top scoring lines. he's been invisible when he was a top 6 and has only lately begun doing something. brown vs frolov this year, brown creates more opportunites. i'd rather have him at hte top 6 even if he doens't score

Old
11-10-2003, 06:15 PM
IGM

Frolov has 4 goals and three assists while playing largely with "energy" players and recieving an average of 41 seconds of PP time per game. He is being used as an "energy" guy and is playing well above what is expected there. He is a 20 year old in his second season who has seen very little time with any consistantcy while being given a chance to play with talented top six types like himself. When he was given that chance last season he became VERY effective at it.

So to say that he hasn't done anything to prove himself worthy of time with the top six first I would ask you if you reeeeeaaaaaallllly think that the 4 games that he was given ice time with our top scoring guys was what anyone else would consider a legitimate opportunity AND THEN ask yourself if the 4 goals and one assist that he was able to score while playing with our top scoring lines in those 4 games still isn't doing anything to prove himself. Oh, and add that to the fact that he was +5 for the majority of that time as well.

If your answer is still the same then can you tell me what it would take to "prove his worth" on our top scoring lines? I can't think of anything the kid hasn't done to prove himself worthy so any help you can give would be interesting.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:15 AM
MOOSE55

Send a message via ICQ to MOOSE55
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGM
Frolov has 4 goals and three assists while playing largely with "energy" players and recieving an average of 41 seconds of PP time per game. He is being used as an "energy" guy and is playing well above what is expected there. He is a 20 year old in his second season who has seen very little time with any consistantcy while being given a chance to play with talented top six types like himself. When he was given that chance last season he became VERY effective at it.

So to say that he hasn't done anything to prove himself worthy of time with the top six first I would ask you if you reeeeeaaaaaallllly think that the 4 games that he was given ice time with our top scoring guys was what anyone else would consider a legitimate opportunity AND THEN ask yourself if the 4 goals and one assist that he was able to score while playing with our top scoring lines in those 4 games still isn't doing anything to prove himself. Oh, and add that to the fact that he was +5 for the majority of that time as well.

If your answer is still the same then can you tell me what it would take to "prove his worth" on our top scoring lines? I can't think of anything the kid hasn't done to prove himself worthy so any help you can give would be interesting.
I agree......people complain about his numbers, but he is playing on the 3rd line and given 3rd line minutes....he puts up good numbers on the 3rd line, but would put up better numbers on the 2nd line.......next to Palffy he is the most gifted forward we have at the moment.....I don't think the 3rd line is helping him much, we already know he is good defensively.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSE55
I don't think the 3rd line is helping him much, we already know he is good defensively.

Ahh, but it is helping to keep his intensity up.

There is also the issue of what's best for the team. Perhaps, he is helping the team by spreading out the talent and skill so that opposing teams don't have to just shut down one line.

Old
11-11-2003, 11:38 AM
guzmania

Frolov has been playing with the second line, although it looks like the third as far as injuries and depth go. The thing that improves his game is being paired with grinders. This really compliments his game. Yes, he has scored goals but those goals were late in the game and for the most part inconsequential. Last night he played with a mucker/grinder, and a speedy mucker. His passes to Chartrand opened up the ice for Klatt, this is a pretty good line combo. Lets say we keep that line together when Stumpel and Deadmarsh (and if) return.

Complimentary line combos-

1- Luc-Stumpel-Ziggy
2a- Deadmarsh-Armstrong-Brown
2b- Frolov-Chartrand-Klatt
3- Avery-Belanger-Laperrier

-in this scenerio Lines 2a and 2b are completely interchangeable. The team is more balanced than it has been in a long time (maybe ever) and we shake thing up as the need arises.

Frolov is improving, he's been put into a position where he can suceed, goody goody!
Do we really need to trade for anyone?

Old
11-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
This seems more likely to happen:

1- Luc-Armstrong-Deadmarsh
2- Frolov-Stumpel-Ziggy
3- Brown-Chartrand-Klatt
4- Avery-Belanger-Laperrier

Old
11-12-2003, 03:49 AM
MOOSE55

Send a message via ICQ to MOOSE55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo

2- Frolov-Stumpel-Ziggy
3- Brown-Chartrand-Klatt
This is the line-up that makes since to me.......good job!

Old
11-12-2003, 06:57 AM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo

2- Frolov-Stumpel-Ziggy
3- Brown-Chartrand-Klatt
Line 2 has no grind. I really think Frolov is better with someone who's corner savvy. It lets him do what he is good at. Just my opinion.

Old
11-13-2003, 08:10 PM
punchy1

I hate to join this thread on a night when Frolov is obviously having a solid but, kingPurpleDinosor, I have to comepletely dissagree with your perception of Alexander. He is a budding star player who is scoring more and more with less and less ice time at even strength with the top forwards on the team.

I am seeing what some of you mean by the fact that he is starting to produce by playing with energy line players and think that what you are seeing is simply a by product of how great he is. Imagine how many more points he would have (possibly) if he were seeing allot more ice time with top notch forwards. Could be a cracker!

So, you seem to be comepletely off on this one Kingpurple, but we all can't be right all of the time.

Frolov sure is looking more like a young superstar more and more each time he plays.

Old
11-13-2003, 09:30 PM
maximil

I have been really impressed with his play in the last three games. He's looked a lot more confident and is really starting to make things happen with his good hand eye coordination and reach. Watching tonights game was really exciting. His line seems to be really effective right now. Too bad the Kings couldn't pull it off.

OT: That goal by Mogilny was sick.

Old
11-13-2003, 09:32 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximil

OT: That goal by Mogilny was sick.
At least the save attempt was. :mad:

Frolov will be a star in this league, with the Kings or not. He's got size, strength and great skill.

Old
11-15-2003, 09:37 AM
LuckyLUC20

Here's a nice article on Alex in the LA Daily News.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1...768021,00.html

Blossoming at the right moment!

There isn't pleasant news about Deader, though. Down at the bottom of the article it says he's still feeling dizzy and missed his 3rd consecutive practice... I posted this in the Ally/Deader update thread.

Old
11-16-2003, 04:37 PM
punchy1

Another questionable AM decision making effort in the Blues game. Frolov has another great game and is leading our team in plus and minus and was given another vote of no confidence from his coach for his effort. The bone that he was thrown was laughable. God forbid that Frolov goes to a team like the Blues or the Canucks or the Sharks or the Lightning or the Sens etc. where he is truly given a chance to show what he is capable of with the same group of top flight players for more than a week or so. He would be one of the top wings of his age in the league in each catagory.

I truly thought that AM would at least have given him a significant jump in his ice time but it is true that he didn't.

Frolov had another great game but unfortunately, Charty has to be perfect in order for his line to work and it is too much to ask of him in my way of looking at things to have to play that kind of game every night.

Frustrated about this one, sorry about that.

Other than that I think that we were cut to the quick by the refs in the Blues game and that we played great all things considered.

Closed Thread