HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers/Preds Trade Thread

Old
09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
AL-Canadian

vCash: 500
Oilers/Preds Trade Thread

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=286403

Some pretty crazy ideas over there on the Oiler board. Some quality guys trying to straighten a few wild guys out but not sure the sane ones are getting through

Got to love the Torres for Weber or the Moreau + pick for Timonen suggestions.

AL-Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 10:17 PM
veronesepk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-Canadian View Post
Got to love the Torres for Weber or the Moreau + pick for Timonen suggestions.
Both of those sound lovely.

veronesepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Didn't Kimmo have more points than Torres last year? What a raw deal for us.....

09-05-2006, 04:17 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'm not going to even look. Some of the proposals I've seen on other boards for Hartnell\Erat annoyed me too much. Even worse when I'm told, "Look, the Preds HAVE to trade them, so the return isn't going to be good. Take the mid level prospect and and mid round draft pick, it's the best you're going to get."

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 07:30 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
What terrible trade ideas!! Why would we trade timonen for ANOTHER forward when we need a veteran d-man and not a forward?

Last edited by crossxcheck: 09-05-2006 at 07:40 AM.
crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 07:57 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I love how s7ark was confused when veronesepk says that no one would do a Weber/Hamhuis for Torres deal. How in the dark can you be? Hamhuis had an almost identical point total to Torres last year, is a year younger, and already a top 2 defenseman on the Preds. Torres would be a valuable addition to any team, but he isn't going to pull Hammer. And to think he'll get Weber, whose name was mentioned repeatedly as trade bait for the #1 overall pick, is just as laughable.

The larger fanbases on these boards have the Hollywood syndrome that has maimed people like Tom Cruise. That is, some of these people live in such an insulated, unique, and highly jaded environment for long enough that they come out of it a little off.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 08:35 AM
veronesepk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I love how s7ark was confused when veronesepk says that no one would do a Weber/Hamhuis for Torres deal. How in the dark can you be? Hamhuis had an almost identical point total to Torres last year, is a year younger, and already a top 2 defenseman on the Preds. Torres would be a valuable addition to any team, but he isn't going to pull Hammer. And to think he'll get Weber, whose name was mentioned repeatedly as trade bait for the #1 overall pick, is just as laughable.

The larger fanbases on these boards have the Hollywood syndrome that has maimed people like Tom Cruise. That is, some of these people live in such an insulated, unique, and highly jaded environment for long enough that they come out of it a little off.
I agree - that thread is just getting uglier and uglier with every passing moment.

Old
09-05-2006, 09:02 AM
AL-Canadian

I tried a little bit of humor with them by turning one of their proposals around (Upshall and pick for Jason Smith - he'd look good playing with Timonen) and even that didn't seem to faze them. Additionally, saying the Oilers/Preds wouldn't be good trading partners (both need Dmen, with abundance of forwards) hasn't been enough.

Yes, Torres is a solid young "Hartnell" type forward which most teams would love to have, but he's not going to get a young top line Dman in return from most NHL teams.

Some fan bases are WAY too enamoured with their own. I believe some of us Pred fans are that way too regarding some of our players (Erat, Hartnell, Klein for example). Remember - hockey is a business and players are simply commodities to be used to improve the final product. Hopefully we won't overvalue some of our own like fans on other team boards.

Old
09-05-2006, 01:38 PM
veronesepk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL-Canadian View Post
I tried a little bit of humor with them by turning one of their proposals around (Upshall and pick for Jason Smith - he'd look good playing with Timonen) and even that didn't seem to faze them. Additionally, saying the Oilers/Preds wouldn't be good trading partners (both need Dmen, with abundance of forwards) hasn't been enough.

Yes, Torres is a solid young "Hartnell" type forward which most teams would love to have, but he's not going to get a young top line Dman in return from most NHL teams.

Some fan bases are WAY too enamoured with their own. I believe some of us Pred fans are that way too regarding some of our players (Erat, Hartnell, Klein for example). Remember - hockey is a business and players are simply commodities to be used to improve the final product. Hopefully we won't overvalue some of our own like fans on other team boards.
Where are you at in Birmingham, AL? I'm stuck here too - shoot me a PM.

Old
09-05-2006, 04:50 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronesepk View Post
Where are you at in Birmingham, AL? I'm stuck here too - shoot me a PM.
speaking of birmingham...my wife and I got lost there sunday night and ended up in an area of town that could best be described as the scene from boyz in the hood where there is like a mile of souped of ghetto cruisers parked on either side of a road and thugs hanging out all over the place and in the road. It weirded us out as we never see stuff like that in Nashville.

Old
09-05-2006, 05:03 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
speaking of birmingham...my wife and I got lost there sunday night and ended up in an area of town that could best be described as the scene from boyz in the hood where there is like a mile of souped of ghetto cruisers parked on either side of a road and thugs hanging out all over the place and in the road. It weirded us out as we never see stuff like that in Nashville.
You've never been down Lutie Street or anywhere off of DB Todd Blvd then.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 05:07 PM
veronesepk

Quote:
You sound as if you were on the North side or in the shadier sections of 5 points. My condolences, and I'm glad you are alive (and a little surprised you weren't harmed).

Old
09-05-2006, 06:01 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
I've seen a couple of places like that in Nash. mostly on DB Todd like Trigg said. I was surprised the first time I saw an area like that around here though I was accustomed to seeing them in Chicago.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 06:50 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post

Well, in my defense, if (as many are projecting) Torres hits 30 or 35+ goals next year what does that do to his value?

See, I project Torres to eventually be our top line LW replacement for Smyth when he gets too old for the job. And in my mind, if you're moving a young kid making less then 1M that has first line upside, you need a top pairing potential guy to come back.

Now I could be over-estimating what Torres will do in the future, but I really don't think so. If he gets some more consistency to his game he could top 40g easy. In big games he helps determine the outcome. We just need him to start doing that in the less then big games too. If he does that he is a top line LW. And I have faith that he will get that figured out.

In retrospect Weber was wishful thinking though. I originally put Zdlicky in instead of him, but figured he would be less available then Weber. Bad call on my part. Still, can you blame me for asking? Weber is gonna be a stud #1 guy. Hemsky or Lupul's names would have to come up for him to be avail, and we are keeping them.

I didn't mean to start anything up with you guys. If you don't already know, I am a big Preds fan. Just a bigger Oilers one. Given how similar our teams are, and the fact that you guys kick the Flames butt 8 ways from Sunday every time you face them , how could I not love your team?

And I totally get how asking for Hamhuis or Weber would feel for you guys, we get a lot of crap Hemsky, Torres, Stoll, Schremp offers.

Oh and to clarify I wasn't suggesting Torres for Hamhuis straight up. Even I am not that big a homer, I have faith in Torres, but he does need to take the next step still. I was thinking something more like Torres and Anaheim's 1st. Guess I should have added that part. Again, my bad

EDIT: Oh and best of luck next year. If we don't make the finals, I am pulling for you. GO PREDS GO!!!

Hire McLellan Draft McDavid. Solidify the D and G

Last edited by s7ark: 09-05-2006 at 06:55 PM.
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 09:12 PM
AL-Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Well, in my defense, if (as many are projecting) Torres hits 30 or 35+ goals next year what does that do to his value?

See, I project Torres to eventually be our top line LW replacement for Smyth when he gets too old for the job. And in my mind, if you're moving a young kid making less then 1M that has first line upside, you need a top pairing potential guy to come back.

EDIT: Oh and best of luck next year. If we don't make the finals, I am pulling for you. GO PREDS GO!!!
I (a lot of Pred fans possibly) see your point but that still doesn't address the fact that the Oilers/Preds are awful trading partners which I pointed out early on the Oiler's message board. Your view could be correct and Torres could be a 30-40 goal guy. Still, Nashville NEEDS a top 4 Dman (similar to Edmonton) and has an abundance of wingers. Its the same trade situation if we proposed this:

Erat (potential 30-40 goal scorer with great puck control skills) for Jason Smith (physical top 4 Dman the Preds could really use). Erat (Torres in your example) is easily worth Jason Smith (Weber/Hamhuis from your example) but its a 100% completely useless trade proposal because of the Oilers' depth at forward and their 'lack' of quality NHL Dmen.

I guess I started this thread because I was amused at how some posters don't use logic in suggesting possible trade scenerios.

PS - thanks for the props on the Preds. Definitely want the Oilers to lay a hurting on the Flames every time out.

Old
09-06-2006, 07:16 AM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
You've never been down Lutie Street or anywhere off of DB Todd Blvd then.
Oh I have been on those roads and I've been to south chicago and LA and still I haven't seen anything like I saw Sunday in Birmingham.

Old
09-06-2006, 07:50 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Curious as to why you were down Lutie Street? I'm from Woodbine and I won't go there, it's not like it's a cut through to go somewhere else, Lutie Street is just gang villa or drug central.

Oh, and add Vine Hill to that list.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 12:19 PM
advantage2006

I didn't mean for this to get out of hand.I didn't look too much into it,and thought parent and klein were ready.
Nor did I realize Timonen was yur top PP d-men.
However even though tores had less points he can cream people and beyond.

Also I had forgotten that Dumont had been signed by you guys which is why I thought you needed another winger

advantage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 12:45 PM
veronesepk

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage2006 View Post
I didn't mean for this to get out of hand.I didn't look too much into it,and thought parent and klein were ready.
Nor did I realize Timonen was yur top PP d-men.
However even though tores had less points he can cream people and beyond.

Also I had forgotten that Dumont had been signed by you guys which is why I thought you needed another winger
Torres can do what to people?

Just kidding. Torres is a great player, and you guys like him a lot. He should have a great season next year with the Oil.

Old
09-09-2006, 10:32 PM
C-J Carlson

The year Torres was drafted, I was hoping Nashville was going to select him.

Anyhoo...

C-J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 10:41 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Personified View Post
The year Torres was drafted, I was hoping Nashville was going to select him.

Anyhoo...
Over Hartnell? I'm pretty happy with how we turned out, there..

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote