HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Send Spezza to Bingo?

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2003, 07:08 PM
HF2002

vCash: 500
Send Spezza to Bingo?

Is it time to send Spezza down? You can argue that his point total is satisfactory, but it seems to me that he gets his points almost out of default. He even looks lost at times. He just seems to be out of his element at this point. It'snot like it has been the team's offense that has been the problen so far this year. Overall team defence has been the problem.

I'm sure someone will make some sort of financial argument for keeping him up but the reality is that sending him down for a week or two would not really be a waste. If they have to pay him the money anyhow why not try to grab his attention? Let him know that his spot is not guaranteed for this year, or any year for that matter. After all, if the team ever gets fully healthy(Fisher...) who do you sit? White? Smolinski?

If any regular Sens fan can tell you which move Spezza will try on every play then you can be assured that every opposing defenseman knows what move he's about to try. Time for a shakeup!

Old
11-17-2003, 07:13 PM
gbl1p

Hate to say it, but I can't see how Van Allen will be playing when Fisher gets back. Though I feel for a guy like Van Allen, who's such a class act and a what-ya-see-is-what-ya-get player, having a potential fourth line of Vermette-Fisher-Neil is downright awesome. About as intense a forecheck as it gets, with two potentially quite decent goal scorers in Fisher and Vermette... and that is being conservative.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:14 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
Is it time to send Spezza down? You can argue that his point total is satisfactory, but it seems to me that he gets his points almost out of default. He even looks lost at times. He just seems to be out of his element at this point. It'snot like it has been the team's offense that has been the problen so far this year. Overall team defence has been the problem.

I'm sure someone will make some sort of financial argument for keeping him up but the reality is that sending him down for a week or two would not really be a waste. If they have to pay him the money anyhow why not try to grab his attention? Let him know that his spot is not guaranteed for this year, or any year for that matter. After all, if the team ever gets fully healthy(Fisher...) who do you sit? White? Smolinski?

If any regular Sens fan can tell you which move Spezza will try on every play then you can be assured that every opposing defenseman knows what move he's about to try. Time for a shakeup!
He's basically still a rookie! Cut him some slack. Sending him down to Bingo would send the wrong message. You have to realize that although he has always dominated everywhere he's played he isn't dominating at the NHL level - thus he doesn't have fool-proof confidence. He's good enough to play at the NHL and it would send the wrong message to send him down. I repeat: He is still a rookie. Just wait until he gets hot - then you'll forget about his mediocre play thus far.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:51 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
He's basically still a rookie! Cut him some slack. Sending him down to Bingo would send the wrong message. You have to realize that although he has always dominated everywhere he's played he isn't dominating at the NHL level - thus he doesn't have fool-proof confidence. He's good enough to play at the NHL and it would send the wrong message to send him down. I repeat: He is still a rookie. Just wait until he gets hot - then you'll forget about his mediocre play thus far.

This isn't meant to sound like a challenge, but how is it sending him the wrong message? To me it says that you can't use your age/experience as an excuse for constanly trying the same ineffective move. You need to be effective now. He's a professional and he should play like one. Frankly, I would take fewer points for an overall better game.

I agree that Van Allen would be the first to sit, not Smolinski or White. My mistake. My point is that perhaps Spezza needs to realize that he needs to put in a solid effort every game. Not just the odd shift. Young players need to be in an environment where they can be successful. Maybe that place for Spezza is still the AHL?

Old
11-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
This isn't meant to sound like a challenge, but how is it sending him the wrong message? To me it says that you can't use your age/experience as an excuse for constanly trying the same ineffective move. You need to be effective now. He's a professional and he should play like one. Frankly, I would take fewer points for an overall better game.

I agree that Van Allen would be the first to sit, not Smolinski or White. My mistake. My point is that perhaps Spezza needs to realize that he needs to put in a solid effort every game. Not just the odd shift. Young players need to be in an environment where they can be successful. Maybe that place for Spezza is still the AHL?
Spezza already dominated the AHL as a 19 year old rookie. Sending him down there will accomplish nothing except make him question his ability to compete at the NHL level. He is young and inexperienced. The best place for him to figure things out is in the NHL. There were some basic holes in his game which needed to be fixed last year - but he has worked hard on them and in Ottawa will receive the best Coaching available to him. In Binghamton he's likely to go back to using his moves again - since they'll work for him down there. If you are worried that he's playing an immature game - the only place he will mature in is in Ottawa. If you want to send him a message than just bench him for a game.

Closed Thread