HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumour: Staios

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Who?
You have no business posting on hf if you don't know who he's talking about. If you're worried about someone not spelling Cola properly that's even worse.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:21 PM
Asiaoil

I get the feeling that we may only keep one of Smith or Staios - guess it depends on what Staios wants to be paid. It's unlikely that KLowe lets Staios walk for nothing though (but I thought that about Marchant too). It will all be sorted out by the trade deadline.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:28 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
You have no business posting on hf if you don't know who he's talking about. If you're worried about someone not spelling Cola properly that's even worse.
I imagine that our Leaf-boosting friend was shocked to hear that someone didn't know how to spell "Colaiacovioliolio" correctly.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:31 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Anybody that wants Tucker on the Oilers needs to be institutionalized, period.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:44 PM
Allan

Who wants to bet that this rumour is the work of Steve Simmons? Every week, the Edmonton Sun runs his column, and he refers to the Leafs getting Staios because of impending free agency in every one. He never offers anything to back it up except that Edmonton doesn't sign free agents, but this sounds like an extension of his talk.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Anybody that wants Tucker on the Oilers needs to be institutionalized, period.

Wapner's on at 5.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:16 PM
speeds

I could certainly see EDM moving Staois at some point this season if it looks like they can't sign him to an extension before he hits UFA this summer. Which I really doubt if they'll be able to, unless he's willing to take less to stay here. Then again, I thought the same about Marchant as last year's deadline approached.

Having said that, now isn't the time to move him unless Lowe thinks his value will drop badly by the deadline, or unless Lowe gets an offer he can't easily turn down at this point.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:17 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Well, I believe my statements have been vindicated to a fair extent, and I didn't even have to do anything

I've seen Pilar (Pil-ash for anyone who doesn't know) play enough to know he is at best a 6/7. He's in the AHL, and this somehow makes the case for us wanting him??? I wasn't aware we were T.O.'s scrap dumping ground. Always nice to get a visit from the cupless wonders though, thanks for comin!

Old
11-16-2003, 06:20 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
I just think it helps ones credibility to be able to spell a players name that you ask for in return.

He's probably seen it a hundred times on the boards, take a minute (or two) and learn how to spell it... COL-AIA-COVO.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:22 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I've seen Pilar (Pil-ash for anyone who doesn't know) play enough to know he is at best a 6/7. He's in the AHL, and this somehow makes the case for us wanting him??? I wasn't aware we were T.O.'s scrap dumping ground. Always nice to get a visit from the cupless wonders though, thanks for comin!
He's actually with the big club right now.

Alexei Semenov's in the AHL... is he "scrap"?

Old
11-16-2003, 06:23 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
I just think it helps ones credibility to be able to spell a players name that you ask for in return.

He's probably seen it a hundred times on the boards, take a minute (or two) and learn how to spell it... COL-AIA-COVO.
I just learned how to spell anal-retentive, I don't need to learn any more words today.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:29 PM
leafaholix*

Did uncle bob teach you that word?

Old
11-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Alexei Semenov's in the AHL.

He is? Really? He's in the minors? Do you have a link? Not questioning your credibility, I just hadn't seen it.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:31 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:

I think the concern with Karel Pilar is that he's *still* in the AHL.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:42 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

Semenov was sent down for one day because of roster issues, nice try though. Again, thanks for comin...

Old
11-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
He is? Really? He's in the minors? Do you have a link? Not questioning your credibility, I just hadn't seen it.
Someone mentioned that his name is on the Rr's websight but I haven't seen anything saying he was actually sent down, the Oilers haven't called anyone up either. It's unlikely that they only have six d-men with the team right now.

Does anyone know if his unpopularity has anything to do with his level of fitness?

I thought that it was great when he came to camp with another twenty pounds on his tall frame but that may not have been the case.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:50 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Did uncle bob teach you that word?
Don't you mean Bob?

Take a minute (or two) to read about proper nouns in your grammar book tomorrow. That is, if you aren't still working on phonics.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:14 PM
Mizral

Frankly, Tucker for Staios is an insult. Alternativly, the Oilers would counter-offer for Ethan Moreau for Tomas Kaberle.

Think that's bunk? It aint. Staios is perhaps the most important Oiler player on the roster right now. UFA-to-be or not, Staios' value is much, much higher than Tucker. People who are still stuck on Staios being an expansion-draft pickup a few years ago for Atlanta might not know this, but Staios is currently the Oilers #1 defenseman. Yes, ahead of Eric Brewer. His trade value to a few Leaf fans may be no more than Tucker, but his on-ice value is much, much more. Frankly, Staios would be the #2 defenseman in Toronto, there is no doubt in my mind to that one.

Staios is worth so much more than his trade value right now, moving him for Tucker (even if he is a UFA-to-be) would rank on all-time idiot moves by a GM. Not that I don't like Tucker, he's a pretty useful player, but Staios is practically everything to the Oilers right now.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:50 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Someone mentioned that his name is on the Rr's websight but I haven't seen anything saying he was actually sent down, the Oilers haven't called anyone up either. It's unlikely that they only have six d-men with the team right now.

Does anyone know if his unpopularity has anything to do with his level of fitness?

I thought that it was great when he came to camp with another twenty pounds on his tall frame but that may not have been the case.
There are 7 defensemen with the big club. Marty Reasoner and Brad Isbister are both on IR.

11-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Seachd

Quote:
ones
What?

Old
11-16-2003, 08:16 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Frankly, Tucker for Staios is an insult. Alternativly, the Oilers would counter-offer for Ethan Moreau for Tomas Kaberle.

Think that's bunk? It aint. Staios is perhaps the most important Oiler player on the roster right now. UFA-to-be or not, Staios' value is much, much higher than Tucker. People who are still stuck on Staios being an expansion-draft pickup a few years ago for Atlanta might not know this, but Staios is currently the Oilers #1 defenseman. Yes, ahead of Eric Brewer. His trade value to a few Leaf fans may be no more than Tucker, but his on-ice value is much, much more. Frankly, Staios would be the #2 defenseman in Toronto, there is no doubt in my mind to that one.

Staios is worth so much more than his trade value right now, moving him for Tucker (even if he is a UFA-to-be) would rank on all-time idiot moves by a GM. Not that I don't like Tucker, he's a pretty useful player, but Staios is practically everything to the Oilers right now.
I agree with you 90%. the only thing I don't agree with is the "Staios is.. practically everything to the Oilers"

I mean he hasn't been that good the last while. But I do agree he's been the best of the Oilers blueline so far this year.... although Brewer is starting to step up. I know against the Flames Brewer was the best Oilers Dman.

Old
11-16-2003, 08:48 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
There are 7 defensemen with the big club. Marty Reasoner and Brad Isbister are both on IR.
7 including Semenov. Someone said that he was listed as being on the Rr's roster but that would only leave 6 here.

Old
11-16-2003, 08:51 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
7 including Semenov. Someone said that he was listed as being on the Rr's roster but that would only leave 6 here.
he was "sent down" but I don't think he ever left the team.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:02 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Yes, including Semenov. Semenov was originally sent to the RR because they didn't want to put either Reasoner or Isbister on IR. They then put Isbister on IR and recalled Semenov. They had Valiquette with the big club on an emergency basis. When they found out how serious Reasoner's injury was, they put Reasoner on IR to get to 23 players on the active roster. Make sense.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:48 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Who wants to bet that this rumour is the work of Steve Simmons? Every week, the Edmonton Sun runs his column, and he refers to the Leafs getting Staios because of impending free agency in every one. He never offers anything to back it up except that Edmonton doesn't sign free agents, but this sounds like an extension of his talk.
It was. I read it in his column over the weekend. Simmons falls in the same catergory as Bruce Garrioch. Their rumors are create by not what they THINK will happen, but what they would like to happen.

Closed Thread