HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Gratton to Ottawa?

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2003, 05:28 PM
Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Why would the Coyotes have interest in Leschyshyn? (take that hbk)
Veteran leadership?

Old
11-18-2003, 05:43 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Could it be related to the team's unhappiness concerning Brad Ference? I don't know, just grasping for something there.

my sports forecaster indicates Leschescyn (I hate this name that alone is reason enough not to deal for him) makes $2 million. Can't see how this acquisition would make sense given our budgetary constraints. Me think Garrioch is full of it.

Old
11-18-2003, 06:11 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
my sports forecaster indicates Leschescyn (I hate this name that alone is reason enough not to deal for him) makes $2 million. Can't see how this acquisition would make sense given our budgetary constraints. Me think Garrioch is full of it.
I'd have to agree with you there. I can see no reason that the 'yotes would want Leschyshyn.

Old
11-18-2003, 07:12 PM
CoyoteBaloney

The Coyotes won't trade Gratton for just any defensive depth. It would have to be a dman that fits into the 2nd pairing.

roadrunner said it well when about Gratton ... good post.

Old
11-19-2003, 08:26 AM
Master T

Send a message via AIM to Master T Send a message via Yahoo to Master T
But the coyotes have wanted Bonk for a while, and with the emergence of Spezza, and the budget constraints (Bonk makes 3.5) it would be a solid trade if the Coyotes threw in a 3rd pick.

Old
11-19-2003, 10:28 AM
YotesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master T
But the coyotes have wanted Bonk for a while, and with the emergence of Spezza, and the budget constraints (Bonk makes 3.5) it would be a solid trade if the Coyotes threw in a 3rd pick.
Do you think the sens would do that deal? If they would we should do it in a second. Maybe throw in savage, and have them add in schvestlivy.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:13 AM

Why would the Sens do that deal? That'd be as poor asset management as we've done at times, and I think Muckler is smarter than that. If we did Gratton for Bonk, we'd have to include something else they severely need. Nash, Gratton and a pick for Bonk...even then we probably would be underpaying.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:21 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Why would the Sens do that deal? That'd be as poor asset management as we've done at times, and I think Muckler is smarter than that. If we did Gratton for Bonk, we'd have to include something else they severely need. Nash, Gratton and a pick for Bonk...even then we probably would be underpaying.

Maybe I am underrating Bonk, but I think that'd be a severe overpayment for someone who would do little more than Gratton.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Maybe I am underrating Bonk, but I think that'd be a severe overpayment for someone who would do little more than Gratton.
Bonk has scored 20 goals consistently for a few years now and is a dominant defensive force. His value as compared to Chris Gratton is quite good. IF they were to trade Radek Bonk (I think there is maybe a 5% chance they will) it would probably be a deal including Mara and Gratton, with Phoenix having to take Curtis L (sens benefit from losing his salary). There is a very small chance of this occuring, but in my mind that would be the type of deal the sens would want.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:33 AM

Quote:
For one, Bonk would be our #1 center likely.

Besides the 0.80 points per game he's had the past 4 seasons, typically 64 points a year. He's had a 70 point year already, is good defensively.

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat if we could, but I am a huge fan of Bonk. We might lose some of the faceoff %, just because Gratton is among the better drawmen, but Bonk would greatly improve our offensive side of the puck and be a lot like Langkow I might say.

Old
11-19-2003, 12:06 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Bonk would be a really good player to have. Rather than being a bit better than Gratton he's more like a little better than Langkow like Go said. Gratton, Nash and a pick would be a great deal for us to make and I think its much more realistic than asking for Mara(!!) on top of Gratton. Bonk isnt that good to warrant throwing in one of the best young defensemen around (and one of the cheapest at just $1m). I'd want Havlat not Bonk for that price.

Old
11-19-2003, 04:26 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Bonk would be a really good player to have. Rather than being a bit better than Gratton he's more like a little better than Langkow like Go said. Gratton, Nash and a pick would be a great deal for us to make and I think its much more realistic than asking for Mara(!!) on top of Gratton. Bonk isnt that good to warrant throwing in one of the best young defensemen around (and one of the cheapest at just $1m). I'd want Havlat not Bonk for that price.
Bonk is the #1 centre on the best team in hockey. To tell you the truth, IMO Bonk is more integral to the team than Havlat is at this point in their careers.

Say Bonk=Doan (approx.)
and
Volchenkov=Mara (or substitute Rachunek if you want).

Would you consider a Doan for Volchenkov deal fair?

Old
11-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
Would you consider a Doan for Volchenkov deal fair?
No. Phoenix gets shafted. Volchy isn't that valuable (yet).

Big pass.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Only Lidstrom and A.Markov scored more even strength goals last year than Mara (and Markov only did it by virtue of empty netters). Rachunek and Volchenkov are great prospects but I dont think they are at Mara's current level. Mara is more of a Brewer (minus the big salary) than players who havent even had a full season.

Bonk may play for the best team in hockey but that means very little.. it doesnt make him the best center in all the NHL. He probably is more integral than Havlat but Havlat is worth considerably more.

I have said for a while I think Nagy and Mara are the two most valuable Coyotes, partly due to their $1m contracts which are comparatively tiny. Doan may be back up there with his good form so far but his contract dwarfs theirs. My point anyway was that you tossed Mara's name in like a throw-in when he is probably the most valuable asset we have along with Nagy.. I am not even sure I would want to trade him straight up for Bonk, especially considering our surfeit of centers and lack of defensemen.

Like PhoPhan has said.. guys like Nagy, Doan, Mara, Havlat and Spezza dont get traded.. its better not to bring their names in.

Closed Thread