HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Esks Win!!

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 04:27 PM
Oilers Ent

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Esks Win!!

Yay!

And I had to be working today. I couldn't even watch it. How was the game everyone?

Final Score:

EDM 34
MON 22

Absolutely awesome!

Old
11-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Cerebral

YAYAYA!!!!!!! Green and Gold pride!!!!! The defense really stepped up in the fourth quarter!! Amazing win!!

Old
11-16-2003, 04:33 PM
OYLer

Winner of the Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
Yay!

And I had to be working today. I couldn't even watch it. How was the game everyone?
Now the challenge is to bring home Stanley and again have twin cups resident in our fine city for another year.

Old
11-16-2003, 04:36 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Not a thrill-fest, aside from the 2nd quarter which got pretty wacky.

The Esks really rolled in the 2nd half. The defense was extremely strong in the 2nd half, and the offense played well enough and didn't really give the Als much to cash in on. They were able to eat a lot of time, and managed to get key first-downs by whatever means necessary. One of the key plays of the game, IMO, was a Ricky Ray scramble on a 2nd and 20 where the Montreal defender gave Ricky a forearm-shot to the face and major face-mask to bring him down. That gave the Esks a 1st down and they went on to score their only TD of the 2nd half.

One of the keys to the game was Montreal using two very green cornerbacks, who Ricky Ray and Jason Tucker were able to burn again and again. It was a Don Matthews move that blew up in his face- which is pretty sweet.

Also pretty sweet seeing Ricky Ray smack down Mr MVP Calvillo head-to-head.

Old
11-16-2003, 04:43 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Congratulations Guys,you were better than us, your defence was AWESOME in the 3rd an 4th quarter,Congratulations

Old
11-16-2003, 04:49 PM
The Rage

Tucker

Tucker was outstanding, as he was last year. What a clutch player. I was wondering why no one was talking about him before the game but he proved his worth today. Hopefully we can bring most of our guys back, infuse some young talent, and go for another

Old
11-16-2003, 04:51 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Awesome game by the esks... and that was without Terry Vaughn playing up to his standards, and Hervey getting hurt early...

btw, anyone else hear that Hervey might be heading to Ottawa next year?

Old
11-16-2003, 05:02 PM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Congratulations for a well deserved win

Old
11-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Yay Eskies!

I hate to say it, but without the Als dumb penalties and fumbles it could just as easily have been their game. The coup de grace was the face mask penalty on the qb on 2nd and twenty in front of the Esks bench and with no less than two officials right there. That had to be an all-time no-brainer. Turning point in the game if you ask me.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:06 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Awesome game by the esks... and that was without Terry Vaughn playing up to his standards, and Hervey getting hurt early...

btw, anyone else hear that Hervey might be heading to Ottawa next year?
I'm going to go way out on a limb here and predict that 25% of the players in the CFL will swap teams in the off-season. For the tenth consecutive time.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
One of the key plays of the game, IMO, was a Ricky Ray scramble on a 2nd and 20 where the Montreal defender gave Ricky a forearm-shot to the face and major face-mask to bring him down. That gave the Esks a 1st down and they went on to score their only TD of the 2nd half.
Yep, that was the turning point in my opinion. The Eskies were in big trouble on that Ray scramble and he was about to gain a couple yards at best.. instead of second and long, it turned into a first down and totally killed Montreal's defensive energy.

Old
11-16-2003, 05:29 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Yep, that was the turning point in my opinion. The Eskies were in big trouble on that Ray scramble and he was about to gain a couple yards at best.. instead of second and long, it turned into a first down and totally killed Montreal's defensive energy.
I pretty much agree with that. Als had penalty troubles from day 1 this year. Congratulations guys, but we will get it back next year

Old
11-16-2003, 05:31 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
Congratulations for a well deserved win
Thanks, Montrealers. See you next weekend

Old
11-16-2003, 05:37 PM
windowlicker

Too bad that such a great performance by Frito Ray most likely spells the end of his CFL career and a beginning of an NFL one. But oh well, everyone else would do thesame thing if they were in his shoes. Hes gonna be a good one.

Congratulations Esks!!

(Hopefully next weekend we can thump another montreal sports team in a big game at another football stadium)

Old
11-16-2003, 05:40 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Maybe the Grey Cup will make an appearance at Commonwealth Stadium next Saturday, how perfect that the game is against Mtl...

Old
11-16-2003, 10:34 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Too bad that such a great performance by Frito Ray most likely spells the end of his CFL career and a beginning of an NFL one. But oh well, everyone else would do thesame thing if they were in his shoes. Hes gonna be a good one.
Exactly how I feel.. I'm a little bummed that he'll probably end up a mediocre NFL quarterback rather than a CFL star but he deserves the cash. Edmonton is one of the only teams that can somewhat afford to lose its starting quarterback.. we still have Maas who is a very good QB in my opinion and Hendricks who has looked pretty decent in limited playing time. Maas actually has a better arm than Ray from what I've seen.. he just isn't nearly as accurate nor as smart in the pocket.

Old
11-17-2003, 12:43 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I bet you that Grey Cup can fit alot of Frito Lay's and Pringle chips. Party, Party, Party. Don Mathews has no respect for the Esks and no respect for the game. It was nice to through my cup of chewing tobacco at him, ok I never but I should have. I hate that guy like I hate the colour Fushia, and believe me, I hate the colour fushia.

Old
11-17-2003, 09:09 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
Exactly how I feel.. I'm a little bummed that he'll probably end up a mediocre NFL quarterback rather than a CFL star but he deserves the cash. Edmonton is one of the only teams that can somewhat afford to lose its starting quarterback.. we still have Maas who is a very good QB in my opinion and Hendricks who has looked pretty decent in limited playing time. Maas actually has a better arm than Ray from what I've seen.. he just isn't nearly as accurate nor as smart in the pocket.

Maas should be able to take over reasonably seamlessly, I agree. Ricky's only drawback is...well, he's basically Hemsky. Pass, Pass, Pass. He can work the running game too, but that is pretty straightforward. There were a few times in the game last night that I thought RR could have picked up 5-8 yards in a scramble, but instead he either got sacked or threw it away. Ray is a brilliant pocket passer with terrific downfield vision, but not much of a scrambler at all.

I don't know if anyone else caught this bit in the Western Final, but they showed a screen that listed all the great QB's of the last 10-20 years in the CFL, and their performances in the first two years. Guys like Warren Moon and Matt Dunnigan were around 3500yds passing and 15-20 TDS in their first two seasons. Ricky Ray had over 7300YDS passing and at least 35 TDS. Puts his ability in perspective eh? Great QB.

Thanks for the memories and the cup Ricky Ray. Good luck!!!

Old
11-17-2003, 09:28 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
I don't know if anyone else caught this bit in the Western Final, but they showed a screen that listed all the great QB's of the last 10-20 years in the CFL, and their performances in the first two years. Guys like Warren Moon and Matt Dunnigan were around 3500yds passing and 15-20 TDS in their first two seasons. Ricky Ray had over 7300YDS passing and at least 35 TDS. Puts his ability in perspective eh? Great QB.
One thing to keep in mind however: look at Ricky Ray's receiving core. I'm not entirely sure who Dunnigan/Moon were throwing their passes to (maybe good ol' Sandusky? ) but Ray had one of the best sets of receivers in CFL history this season. Tucker, Hervey and Vaughn were all big time threats and guys like Walters or Pringle/Mills out of the backfield were very competent as well. Still, I'd wager that Maas would have had no where near Ray's completion percentage this year.. oh well, it'll be interesting next season! No matter who our QB is next season, take solace in the fact that we managed to ship of Nealon Greene!!!

Old
11-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Oilers Hockey

Hi, everyone. Does anyone know how many people tuned in to watch the game? Canada cares about the CFL right?

Old
11-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Oilers Hockey

Oh, and good job Esks! It feels so good to be an Edmontonian right now!

Old
11-17-2003, 11:05 AM
vb

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind however: look at Ricky Ray's receiving core. I'm not entirely sure who Dunnigan/Moon were throwing their passes to (maybe good ol' Sandusky? ) but Ray had one of the best sets of receivers in CFL history this season.

Moon had Brian Kelly, Waddell Smith, Tommy Scott, Marco Cyncar and ??? ... that was a great group of receivers, especially Kelly.
I can't remember who Dunigan had, but certainly Kelly was there to start.

I think the biggest difference is that the CFL became a much more offensive league in the 90s, to the point where I can't watch it anymore with exception to the finals

Old
11-17-2003, 11:22 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Hi, everyone. Does anyone know how many people tuned in to watch the game? Canada cares about the CFL right?
I don't think the final numbers are out yet, but the Grey Cup is almost always the highest rated sporting event of the year, even during bad years (of course, exceptions are when team canada hockey plays in the finals of a major championship). With two powerhouse teams, tons of storylines (mathews/higgins, mathews/pringle, rematch, ricky vs tony), and the CFLs recent ratings success, I think that the grey cup probably had incredible ratings.

Closed Thread