HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

rumour: Oilers interested in Kolzig?

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Oil_in_my_veins

vCash: 500
rumour: Oilers interested in Kolzig?

I apologize if this has already been posted...

BRUCE GARRIOCH of the Ottawa Sun has reported that :
"The Oilers would like to move G Tommy Salo. There's some talk they'll make a pitch for Washington G Olaf Kolzig. The Avs have also held talks about Kolzig."

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam031116/col_garrioch-sun.html

anyone believe this?
could we afford him?
do we need him with the way Conklin has been playing?
do you think it would be a one for one deal?

thoughts?

oh and he also talked about a possible Comrie to Atlanta deal:

Atlanta GM Don Waddell confirmed to the Sun he's held talks with the Oilers about C Mike Comrie. "I can tell you that I'm not going to give up (2003 No. 1 pick) D Braydon Cobourn or goaltender Kari Lehtonen, but I haven't gotten into specifics with Kevin Lowe," said Waddell. Sources say the Oilers are asking for three top prospects and a No. 1 pick for the rights to Comrie ...

Old
11-16-2003, 06:01 PM
dem

I think its a bunch of crap. No way the Oilers want a 6(?) million dollar goalie.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:28 PM
metallicat

Not only that, but how old is Kolzig? Conklin seems to be fitting in nicely, now as long as Lowe doesn't trade him away, we have ourselves a future tender.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:41 PM
theoil

I still think there is interest in a trade with Washington. For whatever reason Lowe seems intent on landing Sutherby and you know how Lowe is when he wants something. Like a dog with a bone.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Oi'll say!

I can recall Dr Van Nostrin saying that Bruce Garrioch is famous for talking out of his butt, and this would be a prime example of that for the reasons that others have mentioned above. At least I hope it's butt-talk, KLo's off his rocker if it's true.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:54 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Ya, getting Kolzig doesn't make sense for this team at all.

Old
11-16-2003, 06:58 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
I apologize if this has already been posted...

BRUCE GARRIOCH of the Ottawa Sun has reported that :
"The Oilers would like to move G Tommy Salo. There's some talk they'll make a pitch for Washington G Olaf Kolzig. The Avs have also held talks about Kolzig."

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam031116/col_garrioch-sun.html

anyone believe this?
could we afford him?
do we need him with the way Conklin has been playing?
do you think it would be a one for one deal?

thoughts?

Atlanta GM Don Waddell confirmed to the Sun he's held talks with the Oilers about C Mike Comrie. "I can tell you that I'm not going to give up (2003 No. 1 pick) D Braydon Cobourn or goaltender Kari Lehtonen, but I haven't gotten into specifics with Kevin Lowe," said Waddell. Sources say the Oilers are asking for three top prospects and a No. 1 pick for the rights to Comrie ...
That's an interesting rumour. Sure Kolzig is expensive and maybe a little old but if the Caps pay for parts of his salary then I don't see why he wouldn't be an upgrade over Salo. We could have him here for a year or two while Conklin pushes and proves that he can be a legit no.1 goalie in this League, then get rid of Kolzig.

Scouts from Washington have been at the last 3 or 4 Oilers games.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:22 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

The only way I could see it would be if there was a 3-way deal in the works. Something like:

To Washington: Salo + a medium pick or middling prospect
To Colorado: Kolzig
To Edmonton: a goalie prospect.

Washington's motivation: they save around $2.6 million (which has been their top priority this season, I hear.)
Colorado's motivation: they get a big name goalie.
Edmonton's motivation: we save big coin, too.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:36 PM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
I still think there is interest in a trade with Washington. For whatever reason Lowe seems intent on landing Sutherby and you know how Lowe is when he wants something. Like a dog with a bone.

Tell me more about Sutherby, I have heard about Lowes interest in him but I don't know much about him.

Old
11-16-2003, 07:42 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN
Tell me more about Sutherby, I have heard about Lowes interest in him but I don't know much about him.
CBC said he has great leadership skills and is a sure future captain. Last year Caps rejected the Niinimaa for Sutherby offer so Caps may be high on him as well.

Old
11-16-2003, 08:38 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN
Sutherby is very very similar to Stoll. I don't get why we need to character guys with somewhat limited offensive upside.

Quote:
Oh pretty please let it be Ouette!!! It would probably take adding Comrie to the mix to get him, but please let it be.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:53 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
I beleive Kolzig is only 1 year older than Salo.

For a big man I wouldn't mind the deal, but the caps would have to eat some salary there. That said I all things being equal in contracts good deal. Otherwise, I doubt it.

Old
11-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
The only way I could see it would be if there was a 3-way deal in the works. Something like:

Washington's motivation: they save around $2.6 million (which has been their top priority this season, I hear.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
Oh pretty please let it be Ouette!!! It would probably take adding Comrie to the mix to get him, but please let it be.
more like P. Savue from COL i Believe

Old
11-17-2003, 03:24 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
more like P. Savue from COL i Believe
But, one can dream of great things ... can't he?

Old
11-17-2003, 03:41 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan

I saw this on Spector's, and noticed something odd about it. Does that mean first round, or does it mean Patrik Stefan? Three prospects and a first round pick would be unreasonable, but prospects and Stefan for Comrie is far closer. Or maybe it was just an odd choice of words.

Old
11-17-2003, 04:16 AM
Oylerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
Sutherby is very very similar to Stoll. I don't get why we need to character guys with somewhat limited offensive upside.

If Edmonton ended up with Oullette, Colorado would be giving up nothing to get Kolzig. One can dream all he wants but putting Oulette's name in there would not work.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:12 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic
Last year Caps rejected the Niinimaa for Sutherby offer so Caps may be high on him as well.
I still haven't seen this anywhere credible, and I highly doubt it happened. Kind of like the whole Niinimaa-for-Tucker thing.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:47 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Like I said... it doesn't seem to make sense. Unless we could do something like:
To EDM: Sutherby, Suave or Abeschier
To AVS: Kolzig, fourth(from Caps)
To CAP: Salo, Ballard, second(from Oilers)

That seems to fit everybody's needs (although it is my opinion that any proposal including Sutherby is off as I can't see the Caps moving him) as the Avs get an upgrade to a top goalie for a prospects (Ballard) which they've shown they are ready and willing to give up. Oilers get a good blueliner and if it's Abeschier somebody who can start adequately for much cheaper. For the Caps, they get a proven #1 goalie while still saving quite a few million and then add a good defensive prospect and a decent pick.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:43 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I still haven't seen this anywhere credible, and I highly doubt it happened. Kind of like the whole Niinimaa-for-Tucker thing.
I may be reaching a little here but, the reference of Niinimaa for Tucker is interesting in the sense that in the end Lowe actually got a player that was supposed to fit the void that Tucker was sought after for.

Torres was billed as a guy that would fill that role so with that reasoning, even though Lowe never pulled the trigger for Tucker specifically, he did pull the trigger for a guy who was thought to be similar in style.

So now we hear Lowe is looking at Kolzig (which I agree is a big stretch in reasoning) and Waddell made the comment in the Sun on Sunday that Lehtonen isn't available (a quote that sugegsted to me Lowe may have been inquiring about him), and a passing reference today about Bierk(sp?) being inquired about from Pheonix by Lowe and all of a sudden it seems to me that there is enough suggestion out there to reason that Lowe is indeed looking for a new goalie.

Any thoughts?

Old
11-17-2003, 09:09 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Like I said... it doesn't seem to make sense. Unless we could do something like:
To EDM: Sutherby, Suave or Abeschier
To AVS: Kolzig, fourth(from Caps)
To CAP: Salo, Ballard, second(from Oilers)

That seems to fit everybody's needs (although it is my opinion that any proposal including Sutherby is off as I can't see the Caps moving him) as the Avs get an upgrade to a top goalie for a prospects (Ballard) which they've shown they are ready and willing to give up. Oilers get a good blueliner and if it's Abeschier somebody who can start adequately for much cheaper. For the Caps, they get a proven #1 goalie while still saving quite a few million and then add a good defensive prospect and a decent pick.
So the Oilers dump a ton of salary, and acquire Sutherby and Suave or Aebischer for Salo and a second round pick??

You're a homer.

P.S. Where is this blueliner the Oil are acquiring??

Old
11-17-2003, 09:29 AM
O.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie

I would love if the Oilers could land Ouellet, trust me he will be a keeper. Him and Deslauriers could battle it out for the starters job in the future.

Although I love the idea of us landing Ouellet I don't think we have a chance. This just seems like another wild rumour from Garioch, yours makes more sense than his, but I still would'nt hold my breath. Good idea though.

Old
11-17-2003, 09:45 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

1. BRUCE GARRIOCH'S an idiot.
2. 99% sure that Kolzig goes nowhere. I'm pretty sure he has to stay in the DC area in order for his kid to get special treatment at that hospital.

later,
dutch

Old
11-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Mr Sakich

going after kolzig would not surprise me. Lowe is in it to win a cup and the only way a small market team gets close is with outstanding goaltending. Look at buffalo and anaheim for recent example. Even carolina had better goaltending than anyone they played during their run.

Lowe has a bit of salary room available. I had heard that his budget was 36 mill this year and it seems to me that he is at 31 right now. If he buys out salo for 70% of whats left, he saves a million dollars as well. If lowe moves salo, then he can easily afford kolzig. The question would be - is kolzig a good enough goalie to get a young team deep into the playoffs?

Old
11-17-2003, 01:02 PM
oildrop

I have yet to see this rumour anywhere else but the Garrioch article in the Ottawa Sun. But the Caps have been scouting the Oilers so their must be some interest somewhere. I asked about rumours involving the Oilers over on the Capitals Board if any of you wanna see what they have to say.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Magnus

I have to agree that pursuing Kolzig make no sense at all. Ouellet is definitely the man they should be after, but that's not gonna happen if we're trying to deal them Salo. I don't see why they would want Salo over Kolzig anyways.

Closed Thread