HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr for the 'C'?

Old
09-07-2006, 07:32 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Jagr for the 'C'?

according to today's Post, Renney would like to name a captain this season (and supposedly would've liked to have named one last season too). Jagr, accodring to Everson, is expected to be tapped, and Shanny and Kaspar are also being considered. I'm not going to re-hash my thoughts on who should be captain (since I'm in Florida now and heading to a meeting and won't be back online until midnight).

Also, Ortmeyer isn't expected to be back until after Christmas. That seems pretty serious. Get well JOrts.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 07:47 AM
RangersFan88*

no kaspar, no shanny, no leetch (if he comes back)

only jagr

done deal

RangersFan88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I still like Kaspar for Captain. He's almost always the Ranger rep that approaches the officials when a "discussion" is required and I think a "C" on his chest would make that role a more official one and afford him more respect from the officials.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 08:59 AM
XploD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I still like Kaspar for Captain. He's almost always the Ranger rep that approaches the officials when a "discussion" is required and I think a "C" on his chest would make that role a more official one and afford him more respect from the officials.
Agree. He also plays with a lot of heart and is a very likable character. The players love him, fans love him, media loves him. Jagr has been a bit moody at times.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 09:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
Didn't Jagr publically come out and say he'd never accept it?

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 09:11 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Didn't Jagr publically come out and say he'd never accept it?
He never said that he would never accept it. Before last season he did say that he wasn't comfortable with taking it. His tune changed as the season went on.

09-07-2006, 09:15 AM
92hatchattack

Im pretty sure that after last season Jagr said he was ready to accept the C. Personly, my #1 pick for a Captain would have been Ortmeyer. But that is out. Id have to go with Kasper. A captain should not be choosen on raw talent alone.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 09:21 AM
WheresBarnaby

This ol' game? Shanny > Jags for the C.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
This ol' game? Shanny > Jags for the C.
Based on the prospect of the star of another team coming over, and being given the C before leading us to the Cup, I say let Shanahan have it.

1994 Redux!

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
My solution:

3 Alternate Captains... Shanahan, Jagr, Kasper ... if any of the three gets injured/can't play, there is always Straka, Nylander, A. Ward..

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 12:16 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Jagr

End of story.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

It's a tough situation.

From a leadership standpoint, Shanahan hands down. But he's only guranteed to be here for a year, anything beyond that is unknown.

Kaspar is a good leader, but I just don't know many more games that body has left in it.

So when it comes down to it, I think you probably go with Jagr. Probably wouldn't be my first choice, but it's not a bad choice by any means.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 12:50 PM
bathgate

Jagr is the spiritual leader of the team. The players look up to him as their leader. Further, a highly motivated Jagr is imperative. Kaspar and Shanny are both great alternatives but Jagr must get first call. However, we now know the two alternates

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 01:13 PM
DontStaal

didnt we all already agree on Jagr... the guy is the freakin team.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Don't really think the problem is players looking up to Jagr or whether he leads the team on the ice.

The real question is how long Jagr is willing to place nice. Unfortunatly that will be a concern for a while.

But under the circumstances, I think he almost has to because of the alternatives.

Don't think he's necessarily the best choice, but he's probably the most logical.

Old
09-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The real question is how long Jagr is willing to place nice.
Would like to see explanation for this one, not sure if i understand it. I read lot of Jagr interviews, he is saying only right things and he matured from his moody years.
This team was Jagr and Lundqvist last season, he is the right choice for the C.
He is real pro who taked Prucha under his wing last season, and is one of the factors that Prucha performed so well.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

No doubt he has done those things, but even this season there were hints of how quickly Jagr's disposition can change.

Few very minor incidents in which there were obvious disagreements with the coach or other things going on.

That's where it gets complicated. Jagr in many ways is like a world class artist. Amazing talent and ability, but as such prone to moodiness and disinterest.

I do not personally believe Jagr is a totally different person after one year in NY after years of having a history and incidents of disinterest and a lack of motivation.

Couple that with little...minor things last season and i don't really believe it's a foriegn concept that at some point, Jagr's old self might start to surface.

Despite all the happy, happy joy joy feelings that people have towards Jagr right now, he's not that far removed from the player who didn't show up.

Has he had a "relapse"? No.

But it is still something that is and will always require some degree of attention paid to it. Even the Rangers right now, know and understand that there success or failure depends just on much as keeping Jagr interested as much as it does on him keeping healthy.

Old
09-07-2006, 03:18 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
No doubt he has done those things, but even this season there were hints of how quickly Jagr's disposition can change.

Few very minor incidents in which there were obvious disagreements with the coach or other things going on.

That's where it gets complicated. Jagr in many ways is like a world class artist. Amazing talent and ability, but as such prone to moodiness and disinterest.

I do not personally believe Jagr is a totally different person after one year in NY after years of having a history and incidents of disinterest and a lack of motivation.

Couple that with little...minor things last season and i don't really believe it's a foriegn concept that at some point, Jagr's old self might start to surface.

Despite all the happy, happy joy joy feelings that people have towards Jagr right now, he's not that far removed from the player who didn't show up.

But it is still something that is and will always require some degree of attention paid to it. Even the Rangers right now, know and understand that there success or failure depends just on much as keeping Jagr interested as much as it does on him keeping healthy.
Your not talking about that game where Renney called a timeout and then everyone on the board starting assuming him and renny were cursing at each other i hope. We have no idea what was going on if anything. For all we know Renney was pissed off at the way the team was playing and Jagr was equally as pissed so they both made their feelings known to the team.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 03:40 PM
bathgate

Edge: Your points are well taken. However, perhaps Jagr has matured as a person . He has always wanted to play in N.Y. Clearly, he deserves the benefit of doubt.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Jack Torrence

Yes he should get it and yes i believe he will take it. i think he feels way comfortable now, and knows he is the leader of this club.

Jack Torrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 04:40 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:

Agree 100%, for every bit we think Jagr is awesome he does have a history of coach killing and playing way below his level of ability. I love watching Jags play but I don't have any doubt that if he isn't given special "handling" his tenure here could turn sour. Jagr is good enough such that I, personally, don't have a problem with that.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 04:42 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Shanahan with the C and Jagr and Ward with the two A's

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Your not talking about that game where Renney called a timeout and then everyone on the board starting assuming him and renny were cursing at each other i hope. We have no idea what was going on if anything. For all we know Renney was pissed off at the way the team was playing and Jagr was equally as pissed so they both made their feelings known to the team.
No there were few very minor comments made last year about the system, etc.

Couldn't recall the specific dates at this point.

Jagr so far has been on his best behavior in NY, as I said even now just about everyone knows that the key is keeping him happy or else it all falls apart.

Again, good feelings and wishful thinking not withstanding, that is still the situation.

Old
09-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Edge: Your points are well taken. However, perhaps Jagr has matured as a person . He has always wanted to play in N.Y. Clearly, he deserves the benefit of doubt.
I don't think it's really a matter of wanting to play in NY.

I'm trying to word the conversation so it doesn't sound like I am trying to insult Jagr, because that REALLY isn't the intention.

Jagr always has been, and in many ways still is very moody about his situations. While there is certainly a degree of "sunshine" going around after last season, I don't think we should or can forget that this something we were all talking about and understand as being part of the package deal with Jagr.

Arguably one of the most skilled players in the game, but prone to and having a history of discontent.

Unfortunatly what ends up happening (and I saw this more last season), the younger members tend to get a little too caught up in the everything is fine, that stuff doesn't exist anymore mindset.

Jagr has done awesome and is happy, no disputing that. But with Jagr it's never really too far from the surface. That's not an insult, just like it wouldn't be to say that Messier is a very strong personality who not everyone is going to be in love with.

Old
09-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
I don't think it's really a matter of wanting to play in NY.

I'm trying to word the conversation so it doesn't sound like I am trying to insult Jagr, because that REALLY isn't the intention.

Jagr always has been, and in many ways still is very moody about his situations. While there is certainly a degree of "sunshine" going around after last season, I don't think we should or can forget that this something we were all talking about and understand as being part of the package deal with Jagr.

Arguably one of the most skilled players in the game, but prone to and having a history of discontent.

Unfortunatly what ends up happening (and I saw this more last season), the younger members tend to get a little too caught up in the everything is fine, that stuff doesn't exist anymore mindset.

Jagr has done awesome and is happy, no disputing that. But with Jagr it's never really too far from the surface. That's not an insult, just like it wouldn't be to say that Messier is a very strong personality who not everyone is going to be in love with.
Being a Pens fan, i can totally agree with what Edge is saying. Jags is one of those guys who has a unique emotional make-up ... some things that would seem innocuous to a lot of people just rub him the wrong way. Doesn't mean he's a bad guy or a bad teammate or even a bad leader, but i can understand why it would scare someone off naming him captain. Me personally, i'd at least offer the captaincy to him and let him decide if he wants it. I'd worry that if they didn't, he might take it as a slight. Shanny and Kaspar are good leaders, and they're gonna do their thing regardless what letter is sewn on their chests.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote