HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Drop-in (pick up) hockey in New York City

Old
05-28-2006, 07:32 AM
night-timer

vCash: 500
Drop-in (pick up) hockey in New York City

Anyone know of any NYC rink that runs regular pick-up hockey in the fall and winter? The rink at Chelsea Piers has one - I think it runs every day, in fact, during the middle hours of the day, but maybe Chelsea Piers is more costly than other rinks. I wouldn't know.

The IHIH rink (Ice Hockey in Harlem) may have one, too. I believe most winter rinks in NYC are outdoors. Any clues?

Last edited by night-timer: 05-28-2006 at 04:47 PM.
night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2006, 10:55 AM
b0mBa

the staten island skating pavillion (on staten island obviously) has friday open hockey sessions from 1pm-2:30pm and 11:10pm-12:40 am

www.thepavillion.org

b0mBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2006, 01:40 PM
rbeeler

When does Chelsea Piers hold pickup games? I'm attempting to get into their Saturday night league this fall, but want to get on the ice before that starts.

rbeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2006, 04:57 PM
night-timer

RE Chelsea Piers - Jim Bugenhagen is the man you need to talk to. Here's some online info:

Chelsea Piers Hockey

They haven't put their fall season info online yet, but I believe it's the same schedule as the Fall 2005 season was.

Anyone know anything about the Harlem rink?

Old
05-28-2006, 04:59 PM
night-timer

BTW, is Chelsea Piers' $27 fee for 1.20 hours of drop-in hockey a bit steep or the normal price range in New York?

Old
05-28-2006, 05:24 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Thats a pretty big ripoff..but it is in NYC and prices there are always higher so I guess that is ok.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer
BTW, is Chelsea Piers' $27 fee for 1.20 hours of drop-in hockey a bit steep or the normal price range in New York?
That's rediclous.

One of our local rinks just raised it from $10 to $15 for an hour and a half, and that is too much. This is hardly the boonies down here in Central NJ either.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 12:27 AM
rbeeler

Ugh, $27? Not to mention the $30 cab fare to get over there...I have heard that there is a rink somewhere in the low 100's, could that possibly be the harlem rink?

Old
05-29-2006, 04:28 AM
night-timer

I believe the Harlem rink is at 111th Street. Is it a safe area for an out-of-towner if I'm going by subway?

Here's the Harlem rink's website: clicky

I get the impression Harlem emphasizes kids hockey. Maybe Chelsea Piers is the better option for older players?

Old
05-29-2006, 09:15 AM
rbeeler

Quote:
I believe the Harlem rink is at 111th Street. Is it a safe area for an out-of-towner if I'm going by subway?
I live in the UES but never venture up that far. Although its nowhere near as bad as it used to be (as with most NYC neighborhoods) it still isnt the greatest. I would try and take a cab, at least part of the way to the rink doors. Especially if you are carrying equipment. But I'm not sure if there is a rink up there? This may be just a program.

This isnt much help now, but it looks like there is an outdoor option in the winter

http://www.wollmanskatingrink.com/main_lasker.htm

Old
05-29-2006, 09:20 AM
rbeeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
That's rediclous.

One of our local rinks just raised it from $10 to $15 for an hour and a half, and that is too much. This is hardly the boonies down here in Central NJ either.
Yeah, where I am from originally (MD), it was $10-$20 max. for 1.2 hours.

I guess they feel they can charge $27 because from the bench you have scenic views of the Hudson and Downtown (j/k).

Old
05-29-2006, 10:14 AM
dylan

Send a message via MSN to dylan
i pay 5 bucks for 2 hours every week. not bad i guess.

dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 11:15 AM
tinyzombies

Lasker Rink in Central Park is open late fall and early winter. Al Strachan is the guy to reach there. They probably have a website. Wolman Rink is the other rink in Central Park, but Lasker is the full-blown thing. It's right on top of the park, on the NE corner. It is a bit sketchy up there, but not too bad. If you have a nice car, you have a bit of a dilemma, otherwise the subway is a 10 minute walk. A cab would be perfect. But it's really not that bad up there. I would worry about theft though. The clubhouse itself has security. Lasker is always looking for goalies too and will provide equipment and let you play for free.

Chelsea Piers is a joke. Ripoff.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Lasker Rink in Central Park is open late fall and early winter. Al Strachan is the guy to reach there. They probably have a website. Wolman Rink is the other rink in Central Park, but Lasker is the full-blown thing. It's right on top of the park, on the NE corner. It is a bit sketchy up there, but not too bad. If you have a nice car, you have a bit of a dilemma, otherwise the subway is a 10 minute walk. A cab would be perfect. But it's really not that bad up there. I would worry about theft though. The clubhouse itself has security. Lasker is always looking for goalies too and will provide equipment and let you play for free.

Chelsea Piers is a joke. Ripoff.
Pretty sure Chelsea is the only place that has open at this time of year.

Every weekday, Noon-1:20. $27 (Goalies are free). FULL FACE CAGE/SHIELD REQUIRED. Bring white and dark jersey to make things easier.

The cost is expensive, but so is their overhead. It's an ice rink on a pier for Norris's sake.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 08:56 AM
rbeeler

Crap. No halfshields?

Wollman is for Public Skating sessions and figure skating. Its shaped like a guitar pick (very odd).

Old
05-30-2006, 05:15 PM
night-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0mBa
the staten island skating pavillion (on staten island obviously) has friday open hockey sessions from 1pm-2:30pm and 11:10pm-12:40 am

www.thepavillion.org

The Pavilion link doesn't work for me. They play pick-up until 12.40am?

Old
05-31-2006, 07:59 PM
nni

the pavillion sucks, ive gone there and there werent enough skaters, so they wouldnt let you on. hit or miss

chelsea is super priced ($8,000 for a team) but they are basically "it" for the area. ice sucks also.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 01:46 PM
b0mBa

Quote:
The Pavilion link doesn't work for me. They play pick-up until 12.40am?
yupp until nearly 1 AM....during the summer it'll usually pick up but your best bet is to get a group of guys to go with you....and sorry the link is supposed to have only one l

www.thepavilion.org

Old
06-03-2006, 02:01 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeffyuhTJRest
Pretty sure Chelsea is the only place that has open at this time of year.

Every weekday, Noon-1:20. $27 (Goalies are free). FULL FACE CAGE/SHIELD REQUIRED. Bring white and dark jersey to make things easier.

The cost is expensive, but so is their overhead. It's an ice rink on a pier for Norris's sake.
He was asking for the fall/winter though.

I would never pay $27, I grew up in Montreal. That's just crazy talk to me. $8,000 for a team is double what you'd pay in Montreal as well. I know it's on a pier and there's overhead, but it would be worth it to head to Jersey or elsewhere if there's another rink imo.

As for the Pavillion, you should try to get a group of people together on the internet. Start up a Yahoo Group or an Evite list so you can be sure you have enough before you go. I did this for ball hockey in Chinatown and was on the verge of starting my own league but I'm out of town for a year. When I come back I'm going to resume it. I may start an ice thing also, but I won't be back until next summer.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2006, 02:05 PM
nni

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
He was asking for the fall/winter though.

I would never pay $27, I grew up in Montreal. That's just crazy talk to me. $8,000 for a team is double what you'd pay in Montreal as well. I know it's on a pier and there's overhead, but it would be worth it to head to Jersey or elsewhere if there's another rink imo.

As for the Pavillion, you should try to get a group of people together on the internet. Start up a Yahoo Group or an Evite list so you can be sure you have enough before you go. I did this for ball hockey in Chinatown and was on the verge of starting my own league but I'm out of town for a year. When I come back I'm going to resume it. I may start an ice thing also, but I won't be back until next summer.
i agree about chelsea, there is a league in jersey that is cheaper and the complex is nice. they are also building a rink out in brooklyn at the old airfield and the prices will be cheaper. chelsea is out of control.

i have like a month left of friday games, so ill be down for friday night hockey at the pavillion then.

Old
06-03-2006, 02:29 PM
b0mBa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nni
i agree about chelsea, there is a league in jersey that is cheaper and the complex is nice. they are also building a rink out in brooklyn at the old airfield and the prices will be cheaper. chelsea is out of control.

i have like a month left of friday games, so ill be down for friday night hockey at the pavillion then.
its a 2 min drive from my house id be down too

Old
06-30-2006, 08:29 AM
nni

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0mBa
its a 2 min drive from my house id be down too
i might head over tonight for the 11:15 open hockey at the pavillion. it isnt definete, but if anyone is down, head over.

Old
09-08-2006, 07:39 AM
greendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nni View Post
they are also building a rink out in brooklyn at the old airfield and the prices will be cheaper.
I just googled this and saw that Aviator Sports is opening in about 10 days! This will give us some more options other than Chelsea. Have you been to Abe Stark in Coney Island? I hear they have hockey too, but the rink is only seasonal.

-Mike

greendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Los Tiburones

Does anyone know of good places for pick-up ice hockey or roller hockey in Fairfield County, CT

Los Tiburones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
This is hardly the boonies down here in Central NJ either.

sure it is.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote