HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues/Ducks

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 09:56 PM
Laperriere22*

vCash: 500
Blues/Ducks

The Blues were extremely loose in front of Johnson tonight. Johnson let in one piece of crap goal and all the rest were a result of the Blues losing their man in front of him. If the Blues had played as strong defensively as they did against the Kings yesterday, this game would have been over early on and the Blues would have come away with two points.

Good for Low to go after Ward; needed to be done in the first meeting between these two teams, but I'll take whatever I can get these days. Low played a pretty solid game as well.

Sejna continues to disappoint. I have to think he's going to Worcester once the Blues have a healthy group of forwards. I can't say I had high expectations for him like most, but even my reasonably low standards are enough to tell Sejna just isn't ready right now. It sucks to say it too because the Blues really needed Sejna to step up and produce at least something.

I'm a big Salvador fan, but he had a pisspoor night. Finley bailed him out on a few occasions, but even that wasn't enough on Krog's tap-in goal. Salvador is in no-man's land trying to block a shot instead of finding his man. Ugh. Even funnier, I look at the ESPN boxscore and he was named 3rd star.

Cajanek played well; he's been better than last year so far. And Eric Nickulas sure has been looking good offensively; I sure as hell never expected that. Sure would be nice if he can keep it up for another couple of weeks at least. Coyotes are next up; hope to see the Blues do better this time around than they did in the season opener.

Old
11-16-2003, 11:26 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
The Blues were extremely loose in front of Johnson tonight. Johnson let in one piece of crap goal and all the rest were a result of the Blues losing their man in front of him. If the Blues had played as strong defensively as they did against the Kings yesterday, this game would have been over early on and the Blues would have come away with two points.

Good for Low to go after Ward; needed to be done in the first meeting between these two teams, but I'll take whatever I can get these days. Low played a pretty solid game as well.

Sejna continues to disappoint. I have to think he's going to Worcester once the Blues have a healthy group of forwards. I can't say I had high expectations for him like most, but even my reasonably low standards are enough to tell Sejna just isn't ready right now. It sucks to say it too because the Blues really needed Sejna to step up and produce at least something.

I'm a big Salvador fan, but he had a pisspoor night. Finley bailed him out on a few occasions, but even that wasn't enough on Krog's tap-in goal. Salvador is in no-man's land trying to block a shot instead of finding his man. Ugh. Even funnier, I look at the ESPN boxscore and he was named 3rd star.

Cajanek played well; he's been better than last year so far. And Eric Nickulas sure has been looking good offensively; I sure as hell never expected that. Sure would be nice if he can keep it up for another couple of weeks at least. Coyotes are next up; hope to see the Blues do better this time around than they did in the season opener.
Lappy, I missed the Low scrap, how did he do? Agree totally about Senja and the Blues D coverage tonight. Johnnie still has terrible rebound control though?

Old
11-17-2003, 05:46 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
At first I thought he and Weight were both trying to set each other up....but lately with Low playing on his line, I see Sejna on the ice and get flashbacks of Daniel Corso stuck in my head. He's lost out there at times - he's at least trying, but he's clearly confused by the NHL game. He definitely needs to go to Worcester to get some confidence and develop his game.

11-17-2003, 06:03 AM
degroat*

I think as Blues fans we've been traumatized by Joel Quenneville and Barret Jackman. Peter Sejna is going through the same adjustment period that 95% of rookies have to go through and it is way to early to say he needs to go down. His only real problem has been his lack of strength. His vision is fine and contrary to his -6 or whatever he is, his defense isn't bad at all (and Quenneville has backed this up on more than one occasion in interviews). Unfortunately, at 24 his body is pretty well developed so sending him down isn't going to accomplish much. He's just got to learn to adapt to the league and he's not going to do that in Worcester.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:58 AM
ProfessorK

Send a message via Yahoo to ProfessorK
I agree with Lappy. BJ only let in one bad goal. The other three were the result of the Blues not clearing the rebound or the Ducks from in front of the net. However, BJ did make me nervous when he left the crease to handle the puck. He was very indecisive when trying to clear the puck up the boards and whiffed on at least one occassion. In between those moments however, he did make some great saves. And he wasn't the only one who was whiffing on the puck. Lots of Blues were doing that.

I also think Nicklaus is starting to get some consistency and Rycroft and Danton are starting to become valuable hustle players. I really like Danton. He's just a ball of energy out there. And I think Jeff Finley showed why the Blues keep him around. He's taken a lot of heat on stlouisblues.com lately, and yes the guy will never be an All-Star, but so what? He did his job playing positionally and made at least one great hustle play to stop a rush.

OK, on to Phoenix to start a new winning streak!!

The Professor

Old
11-17-2003, 09:32 AM
puckyou21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorK
And I think Jeff Finley showed why the Blues keep him around. He's taken a lot of heat on stlouisblues.com lately, and yes the guy will never be an All-Star, but so what? He did his job playing positionally and made at least one great hustle play to stop a rush.
Exactly, that's part of his game. Not in the least bit flashy, but solid overall. You know he's playing his game when you really don't notice him at all. He just goes out there and makes the unspectacular plays, which makes him much better than Khavanov in my book.

Old
11-17-2003, 09:35 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Lappy, I missed the Low scrap, how did he do? Agree totally about Senja and the Blues D coverage tonight. Johnnie still has terrible rebound control though?
Looked like a draw to me, but I was in the middle of cooking up some Manwich and didn't catch from start to finish. So, if I were smarter, I wouldn't score it at all.

Johnson's rebound control is something I don't have a problem with because Osgood's is so much worse. It's the only part of Osgood's game that I hate. Johnson's focus is a big problem and has been for awhile now. But he didn't get much help in Anaheim; all the Ducks goals (save for Vishnevski's) came from right in front of Johnson by Ducks left all alone. The Vishnevski goal was an unscreened wrister from the point and it was as soft as you could ask for. I'm not saying Johnson should be the #1 at all, but the Blues didn't even look like they were even trying to help out Johnson tonight. Blues skaters may have been tired too, but this team can do much much better than they did tonight.

Old
11-17-2003, 09:45 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
I think as Blues fans we've been traumatized by Joel Quenneville and Barret Jackman. Peter Sejna is going through the same adjustment period that 95% of rookies have to go through and it is way to early to say he needs to go down. His only real problem has been his lack of strength. His vision is fine and contrary to his -6 or whatever he is, his defense isn't bad at all (and Quenneville has backed this up on more than one occasion in interviews). Unfortunately, at 24 his body is pretty well developed so sending him down isn't going to accomplish much. He's just got to learn to adapt to the league and he's not going to do that in Worcester.
I don't think it's too early to say Sejna needs to go down. Personally, I think he's lost his confidence. I say that because he's taking poor angle shots from too far out without screens, he's become more susceptible to having his head down and taking hits that he doesn't need to, and his offensive creativity (which he definitely has) is nowhere to be found right now. The game looks to be too strong and fast for him at the moment and going to Worcester for awhile would help him make the transition he needs to make. His body isn't going to develop any further, but jumping from college hockey to the NHL without any seasoning in the minors isn't an easy thing to do these days. And Sejna just isn't ready to be in the NHL right now. He needs to build his confidence back up at the AHL level, adjust to the AHL speed, and learn to use his body better. He's pretty solidly built; so, he shouldn't be getting pushed around so easily. I haven't given up on Sejna by a long shot, but he's just not doing the things he needs to right now. His defense has improved since the Edmonton game where he was puckwatching rather than taking his man (who scored a tap-in goal on Johnson), but he's an offensive player and he's providing no offense. The Blues have better players to call in for defensive purposes than Sejna and until Sejna gets back to being a gifted offensive player, the Blues have no use for him.

Old
11-17-2003, 09:51 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
And I think Jeff Finley showed why the Blues keep him around. He's taken a lot of heat on stlouisblues.com lately, and yes the guy will never be an All-Star, but so what? He did his job playing positionally and made at least one great hustle play to stop a rush.
I really don't like Finley and his game at his salary. But, he did play well last night and covered up for Salvador more often than I'd like to see. Easily the best game Finley has played all season.

I'd like to see the D pairs swapped around a bit personally. Khavanov-Jackman is scary out there. Jackman has been more offensive-minded this year and while I think he's capable of it, I worry about leaving Khavanov as the only guy back for him. That and Jackman is often still all over the place and I don't see Khavanov and Jackman as being a good pairing. Just my opinion.

Old
11-17-2003, 10:37 AM
ProfessorK

Send a message via Yahoo to ProfessorK
I'm going to join the bandwagon of those who say we should play Backman and bench Khavanov. The Ducks' game-winner last night came when Khavanov missed the puck in front of the net and just stood there not knowing what to do next. He wasn't the only Blues defenseman messing up out there, but he always seems to do it at the worst time. Bad knack...

The Professor

Old
11-17-2003, 11:05 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
AS much as i hate to say it. I agree about sejna going down for developement. He could stay up and be fine, but i think it would just accelerate his learning curve. I disagree about his body being as developed as its gonna get. He wont grow anymore,but he can definately get stronger. He needs to find his confidance. And judging by his camp performance, I have no doubt he would dominate at the AHL level. But that wouldnt be what he is there for. I think he needs to learn more of what he can and cant do at the nhl level. And work on being able to carry the puck through the middle without being worked to the boards every time. There is no doubt he will be an nhler, the skill is just too obvious to ignore. We shouldnt rush him though.

After all one reason he signed with the blues was because he liked how we brought our rookies along. Why would we treat him any different. Besides it could be only a matter of 20 games at worcestor with 20 min a game for him to learn what he needs to learn. And he could be back with an impact by early january.

As for Backman, i agree he will be the man. But he still has nothing on khavanov yet.

Old
11-17-2003, 11:27 AM
topshelf331

And after watching the krog goal, i think salvador was more to blame. He was the d-man supposed to be covering the net at the time. But like it was said earlier, the whole team had flaws last night.

Old
11-17-2003, 11:45 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
And after watching the krog goal, i think salvador was more to blame. He was the d-man supposed to be covering the net at the time. But like it was said earlier, the whole team had flaws last night.
I don't think anyone said otherwise honestly. If you're referring to my initial comments, I was just saying that even Finley couldn't bail out Salvador on the Krog goal. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough with my initial wording; my fault if that's what happened. Krog was clearly Salvador's man; there's no question about it.

Old
11-17-2003, 12:27 PM
topshelf331

Quote:
I don't think anyone said otherwise honestly. If you're referring to my initial comments, I was just saying that even Finley couldn't bail out Salvador on the Krog goal. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough with my initial wording; my fault if that's what happened. Krog was clearly Salvador's man; there's no question about it.
Oh, sorry i should have quoted the post i was reponding to. My fault.

This is the one:

Quote:
I'm going to join the bandwagon of those who say we should play Backman and bench Khavanov. The Ducks' game-winner last night came when Khavanov missed the puck in front of the net and just stood there not knowing what to do next. He wasn't the only Blues defenseman messing up out there, but he always seems to do it at the worst time. Bad knack...

The Professor

Old
11-17-2003, 01:10 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckyou21
Exactly, that's part of his game. Not in the least bit flashy, but solid overall. You know he's playing his game when you really don't notice him at all. He just goes out there and makes the unspectacular plays, which makes him much better than Khavanov in my book.
Amen Bro, play Backman or Walker instead of Khavy.

Old
11-17-2003, 01:16 PM
execwrite

I also would like to see Backman get some of Khavanov's ice time. But the article today sure makes it sound like the Blues are going to send Backman back to Worcester.

I guess if they aren't going to play him in St. Louis that's the only thing to do, but he sure seems ready to be playing in the NHL.

Old
11-17-2003, 01:36 PM
topshelf331

I just switched from the lucky sejna marmoset. I guess it didnt work.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Oh, sorry i should have quoted the post i was reponding to. My fault.

This is the one:
I see. Well, the gamewinner was scored by Rucchin on the PP in the 3rd, not Krog's goal. What the Professor was surely referring to was the fact that Khavanov had the puck on his stick right in front of his own net and only needed to backhand it out of the dangerous area. Khavanov failed to clear the puck from in front of the net; instead he either fanned on it or didn't lift it past McDonald (going off memory and the replays I saw last night weren't conclusive). Puck goes right to a wide open Rucchin on the other side of the crease. That's why Professor is badmouthing Khavanov because Khavanov did indeed blow it on that play. He's a terrible guy to have killing penalties though; so, I can't say I'm surprised that Khavanov's defensive zone issues led to a goal against.

Old
11-17-2003, 04:02 PM
topshelf331

Quote:
I see. Well, the gamewinner was scored by Rucchin on the PP in the 3rd, not Krog's goal. What the Professor was surely referring to was the fact that Khavanov had the puck on his stick right in front of his own net and only needed to backhand it out of the dangerous area. Khavanov failed to clear the puck from in front of the net; instead he either fanned on it or didn't lift it past McDonald (going off memory and the replays I saw last night weren't conclusive). Puck goes right to a wide open Rucchin on the other side of the crease. That's why Professor is badmouthing Khavanov because Khavanov did indeed blow it on that play. He's a terrible guy to have killing penalties though; so, I can't say I'm surprised that Khavanov's defensive zone issues led to a goal against.
Sorry my mistake. That highlight machine on nhl didnt show that( i guess because of clarity issues). And i couldnt watch it live. Either way, backman still has nothing on khavanov, yet. Khavanov is average at worst. And backman hasnt fully developed, to get past his rookie errors. I wouldnt be upset if they kept him up. And khavanov isnt near my favorite player. But,I guess what im trying to say is that im still more comfortable with khavanov on the ice than backman.

Old
11-17-2003, 04:15 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Sorry my mistake. That highlight machine on nhl didnt show that( i guess because of clarity issues). And i couldnt watch it live. Either way, backman still has nothing on khavanov, yet. Khavanov is average at worst. And backman hasnt fully developed, to get past his rookie errors. I wouldnt be upset if they kept him up. And khavanov isnt near my favorite player. But,I guess what im trying to say is that im still more comfortable with khavanov on the ice than backman.
I would play Backman because he may learn from his mistakes, Khavanov makes the same mistakes over and over and he is in his 30's he isng likely to get better. If they have to play him Cut his minutes and use him primarily on the PP where he can use the assets he has.

Old
11-17-2003, 04:24 PM
topshelf331

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I would play Backman because he may learn from his mistakes, Khavanov makes the same mistakes over and over and he is in his 30's he isng likely to get better. If they have to play him Cut his minutes and use him primarily on the PP where he can use the assets he has.

I have no problem with that. Like i said- I think backman will be a go to guy. We just need to use him timely. I dont think he is ready for alot of minutes.

Closed Thread