HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames aquire Miikka Kiprusoff

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Table 6

vCash: 500
Flames aquire Miikka Kiprusoff

for a 2nd rounder.

source Sportsnet

Old
11-16-2003, 09:29 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Quote:
On Sunday, the Flames acquired Miikka Kiprusoff from the San Jose Sharks for a 2nd-round draft pick in 2005.

Sportsnet.ca - Sportsnet has learned the Calgary Flames have added a goaltender to the mix.

On Sunday, the Flames acquired Miikka Kiprusoff from the San Jose Sharks for a conditional draft picked believed to be a 2nd round pick in 2005.

With Roman Turek still on the mend, Calgary added Kiprusoff to spell off Jamie McLennan in goal.

Sources say Kiprusoff fell out of favour in San Jose two weeks ago when he refused a conditioning assignment to Cleveland of the AHL.

Kiprusoff has yet to appear in a game so far this season.

The young netminder has appeared in 47 games over the past four seasons, and has won 14 times while losing 21 games. He recorded a 2.84 GAA during his stop in San Jose.
When I heard about the 2nd Rounder I thought it was a pretty steep price, but since it's a 2nd rounder in 2005, I guess the Flames made a pretty good deal. Is Kiprusoff going to be the guy getting the starter's share of games? Or is McLennan?

~Canucklehead~

11-16-2003, 09:30 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

The 2nd rounder is in 2005.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:31 AM
BruinFan42

Wow, that's a tough one for McLennan, he's put up some pretty good numbers so far....

Old
11-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Table 6

It's still a bit of steep price to pay I think.....especially considering the supposed glut of goalies out there.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:33 AM
Flamesfan 26

Good pick up by Sutter. Now we just need some offense

Old
11-16-2003, 09:33 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Hedberg fetched a 2nd from van, and he's better than Kiprusuff. and seeing as how calagry's pick will be better, it just doesnt seem right Kiprusuff cost more than Hedberg.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:34 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Thats not a bad deal for either team actually. I would think a lot of SJ fans were thinking Kipper had NO trade value...but to land a 2nd, it isnt bad by any stretch. The guy has a lot of potential there and could be a big payoff.

However, by the way Nabokov has been playing lately, I would have considered moving him and letting Toskala and Kipper handle the duties in SJ. Im sure they could have fetched something to help them in another area. Oh well.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
Hedberg fetched a 2nd from van, and he's better than Kiprusuff. and seeing as how calagry's pick will be better, it just doesnt seem right Kiprusuff cost more than Hedberg.
I feel the same , but maybe the upside Kiprusoff has woth it .

Old
11-16-2003, 09:40 AM
Table 6

Quote:
On Sunday, the Flames acquired Miikka Kiprusoff from the San Jose Sharks for a conditional draft picked believed to be a 2nd round pick in 2005
notice the conditional.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:40 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Hedberg fetched a 2nd from van, and he's better than Kiprusuff.
That's certainly debateable.

Old
11-16-2003, 09:47 AM
Flamesfan 26

Quote:
But isn't Hedberg an UFA at seasons end

Old
11-16-2003, 10:01 AM
Super-Rye

It's a conditional second round draft pick in 2005, meaning, for San Jose to get the second round draft pick, conditions have to be met.

Old
11-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
That's certainly debateable.
I would definitely take Hedberg over Kiprusoff. Kiprusoff was horrible last year when Nabokov held out. I saw a lot of their games and I honestly didn't see anything out of Kiprusoff to make me think he could ever be a starting goaltender. On the other hand, Toskala was very good, if I were Calgary I wouldn't have settled on Kiprusoff.

Old
11-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Reign Nateo

Steep price, but Kiprussof could prove to be worth it. Now if the Flames could only get Turek to retire...

Old
11-16-2003, 10:05 AM
Reign Nateo

With the market for goalies the way it is right now, the Sharks should be very happy with their return in this trade.

Old
11-16-2003, 10:23 AM
icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
I would definitely take Hedberg over Kiprusoff. Kiprusoff was horrible last year when Nabokov held out. I saw a lot of their games and I honestly didn't see anything out of Kiprusoff to make me think he could ever be a starting goaltender. On the other hand, Toskala was very good, if I were Calgary I wouldn't have settled on Kiprusoff.
Darryl Sutter also saw a lot of their games and still made the trade, so I guess there has to be some good about Kiprusoff. Kiprusoff isn't intended to be a starting goaltender; he'll share the duties with McLennan while Turek is still out.

Old
11-16-2003, 02:19 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche 26
But isn't Hedberg an UFA at seasons end
Yes he is...and WHO is that in your avatar???? WOW!!!

Old
11-16-2003, 03:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Someone has to be out when Turek comes back. Turek has no trade value, and I doubt McLennan and Kiprusoff would make it through waivers.

Possibly Turek would be sent down to the AHL?

edit: Yes I know what I said.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
11-16-2003, 06:01 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Someone has to be out when Turek comes back. Turek has no trade value, and I doubt McLennan and Kiprusoff would make it through waivers.

They could carry all 3 for a while. That does seem to be the cool thing to do nowadays.

Old
11-17-2003, 05:30 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
They could carry all 3 for a while. That does seem to be the cool thing to do nowadays.
San Jose got rid of one because it was becoming a problem for their team. And it is becoming a problem in Phoenix and Detroit. Carrying 3 goals is not necessarily a good thing.

Old
11-17-2003, 06:52 AM
kaherdin

I think a second rounder is to much for Miika, maybe a 4rnd is fair.

-San Jose was stuck with 3 goalies

-Calgary mclennan was doing well, and i like the kid Sabourin, im a sceptic fan of Miika..anyway we will see...

Old
11-17-2003, 06:55 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
San Jose got rid of one because it was becoming a problem for their team. And it is becoming a problem in Phoenix and Detroit. Carrying 3 goals is not necessarily a good thing.

I realize that but there are more teams that have carried 3 goalies this year than I can remember in a long time (SJ, Buffalo, Phoenix, Detroit), I think Calgary could handle it for a little while and ultimately unload someone. Of course who know's with Turek, that injury assessment just keeps getting worse and worse so it may not even be an issue this year.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:15 PM
Frenzy1

The two things that I noticed w/ this trade are:

1. 2nd Rounder in 2005 - I think that this is getting glossed over a little. We are not talking about next years draft, that is deep w/ talent - not like this past draft, but deep none the less. We are talking about 2005, that is 2 years away, and who knows how either team will be playing.

2. The next issue is Conditional - meaning that he may have to reach certain goals, (What is his contract status - RFA next season??) This may have to do w/ ability/want to resign. If he is an RFA, Calgary may not resign him if he plays poorly. It also means he may have to appear in a certain number of games... Otherwise, San jose may get another, lower pick...

The trade works for San Jose, they get a highly touted flop out w/ a contract out of the organization. Calgary gets a goalie that isn't a starter, IMO, but will help share time w/ McClennan, who, IMO can't carry a 50 game load. Reminds me of Minn. last season, rotating goalies...

Old
11-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:

McLennan has already made it through waivers at the waiver draft. That shows you how much Sutter thinks of him, we didn't even bother to protect our backup goalie in the waiver draft.

It's pretty obvious which one would be on the way out when Turek returns.

Closed Thread