HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT-MTL vs Toronto-rookie game

Old
09-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Rand

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_mtl View Post
I wasnt aware of that...thanks.

Damn i miss hockey!
The feeling is mutual....

09-08-2006, 09:31 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
I hope, Grabs will keep it up and hopefully Carle's injury isn't too serious.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Legolas

Okay, just got back from the game and here's a few random thoughts...I'll post more later...got some pics, but they were basically just during the anthems and random other moments, no real action shots so no real need to post them I don't think.

We lost 6-5 in overtime. Overall we were outshot something like 39-23 or something like that. The flow of the game was great and the speed was excellent, actually superior to any NHL preseason game or even some AHL games. I saw Binghampton play Toronto at the ACC during the lockout and that game was really slow, even though Spezza, Vermette and Stajan were all playing.

First period was pretty mundane. Leafs scored the only goal after a penalty to Cepek I think. Sorry for the vague details in advance. We owned the second period, were skating well, putting a lot of pressure on and we took the lead 3-1 at one point thanks to two great goals from Grabovski. He was awesome all night and ended up being the second star. On his second goal, he took the puck at the blue line on the left wing about level with the defenseman, absolutely blew by him, cut in on Pogge, deked inside, then outside and stuffed it in the short side past Pogge's outstretched pad. It was a great move. Grabovski played with S. Kostitsyn all night and had a 3 point game.

Latendresse and Chipchura played together all night as well, with Chipchura also getting some penalty killing time. Latendresse actually played on a 3-5 PK unit at one point in the third period which I thought was hilarious. They both looked great, but Latendresse really needs to improve his work ethic. I'm probably being too critical since I've heard more about him than any other prospect, but there were moments where he looked like a man among boys out there, and other times where he just floated around the Leafs blue line calling for the puck even though it was deep in our zone. He had three breakaways at least where he showed great handles, good speed, and got stoned by Pogge every time because he got lazy and couldn't finish. Chipchura was also stopped a couple times in close on Pogge, but at least with Chipchura it looks like he's working hard all the time. Pogge was trash talking both of them, in a good natured way it seemed though...haha

O'Byrne looked decent. He took a couple stupid penalties that cost us goals, but he has real good size compared to the other rookies and he had a booming shot. Didn't hit the net much, but definitely can shoot the puck.

Carey Price was unfortunately disappointing. I wanted him to have a good game so badly considering he was playing Pogge, and he did face 38 shots or whatever. First period he was decent, calm with a lot of traffic and shots in close. Second period he was solid for the most part and covered his angles well...until the end of the period where he let in a terrible goal...the puck came to the Leaf rookie standing basically at the goal line on the right side, he one-timed it, and Price slid across in the butterfly and because he had gone down, the puck went over his left shoulder short side. It was a nice shot...if the shooter was Kovalev...but in a rookie tournament it was a weak goal, and made the score 3-2 Habs.

The third period started with 5 straight penalties to Montreal, including a two-man advantage for the Leafs. Price was solid for the first four powerplays, but then he started letting in goals left and right. Two were glove side, and the other was blocker side from the slot. They were all weak. Pogge let in some weak ones as well, and Price had more shots, but he was really shaky in the third.

The overtime goal was terrible. It was a 2-2 rush and Robbie Earl for the Leafs had a step on his defenceman, the puck came to him and he was tied up, and he redirected the puck through Price's pads. It was also a weak goal. Price couldn't get off the ice fast enough after that one.

Overall I was pleased with the pace and work ethic of the prospects. We finished checks, created decent chances, and stood up for each other. There was one play where Latendresse got stoned on a breakway, Chipchura poked the puck from under Pogge's glove into the net, got hit from behind, and the rest of the Habs came in and stood up for him. If not for some weak goals by Price, we win this game.

I'll post more as I think about it. Feel free to ask questions as that may jog my memory.

Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:34 PM
znk

NICE....RDS calls him Grabovski and says he's German.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
flick0069

Game Recap

Toronto wins 6-5 in O.T.

Just got back from the game . Will keep this brief.

Chip and Lats are men amongs boys. Both are very strong on the puck. Rarely lose a battle in the corners. If our team was not full you can make a case for both of them to stay in the NHL.

Grabovski....one word...WOW!, This kid is just spectacular. Plays very fast. Had 2 goals and one assist. He is very small. He need a bit of time in the weight room but his hockeys skills are terrific.

Price....he did give up 6 goals, but 4 out of the 6 he had no chance. Very calm in nets. Made some great saves in the first 2 periods. He makes the saves look effortless....he reminds me of Brodeur and how easy he makes it look. No doubt he will be a top NHL goaltender sooner than later.

Aubin...terrible first two periods. He picked it up in the third, more physical, and scored on a beautiful pass from Grabovski.

O"Byrne....very physical player...got beat a couple of times but overall solid. Still 1 or 32 years away from the NHL. Looks like he could even add more weight to his huge frame.

Carle.....poor guy....first play of the game, gives up the puck, then gets rocked by an open ice hit on the same shift. That was the end for him. He did not come back.

D'agostini......really liked him....good speed.....had 2 or 3 breakaways....scored onre in the third i believe.

Cepek...BAD!...had alot of trouble in his own end....gave the puck away alot.

Gleed....Solid ....not spectacular butr solid...reminds me of Rivet.

Stewart...laid the body. Some solid hits...not much offensive skills but he may have a place one day on the fourth line with the big club.

Beisdes Gleed and O'byrne....the defense was bad....gave up 40 shots....we have lots of offensive prospects but very thin defensively

If i think of anything else will let you know.

flick0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
The Nets are 4 inches higher and 6 inches wider , they talked about it on CKAC. Carey Price wasen't happy about it and so are the guys on the show , saying that it expose goalies to injuries.
they said that they were the nets that the NHL proposed at some point , last season .

That doesn't make sens : if they have 4 inches higher , Theodore isn't going to be able to cover the high zone of the net

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Legolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
I wouldn't judge anything by this game, the vast majority of the Leafs players are UFA tryouts. We only have about 5-6 of our draftees playing.
The Leafs brought a few guys from their AHL team. The only significant draftees they ahd were Pogge and Jiri Tlusty, their first rounder from this year.

However, we brought our top draft picks from the last few years. Latendresse, Chipchura, Price, O'Byrne, Stewart, Grabovski, Kostitsyn. On paper I would say we have a better team...and I think we outplayed the Leafs...but for the goaltending and the stretch in the third where we took too many penalties.

Old
09-08-2006, 09:35 PM
bookworm

There's a full article already posted on cyberpresse.ca for those who read french: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../1002/CPSPORTS The article is also posted on rds.ca but they don't have the quotes yet.

bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Maitz
Chucky#27

thanks very nice report ! from what you've seen from Grabo , do you think he could play in NHL this year !? too soon to tell I know ...

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Rand

Any comments on anyone from the Leafs side?
(I know you probably weren't watching them as closely, but any thoughts at all would be welcome)

Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Nothing to panic about, 'cause for what it means and it's only one game, but the Habs would had a better experience with Brent Aubin than any of their invited tryouts.....

Good for him, he might just receive at least an AHL contract with the Marlies.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:39 PM
CH Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Quote:
L'Allemand d'origine a montré de belles aptitudes dans la défaite de 6-5 que la relève du Tricolore a subie aux dépens des jeunes Maple Leafs, vendredi, au Ricoh Coliseum.

Old
09-08-2006, 09:40 PM
TheHoser

Wouldn't read too much into the goaltending this game. The nets were all enlarged and the angles were all different, no way you can expect Price to shutdown 40+ shots without knowning if he's covering all his holes or not.

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:41 PM
flick0069

Quote:
(I know you probably weren't watching them as closely, but any thoughts at all would be welcome)
Leafs side ....did not pay too much attention but Mitchell and Earl were both good. Pgge was average...made some good saves but nothing great. Think we is still wearing his big pads...they looked bigger than Price. Tlusty...he is going to be a good player...nice pass's...looks mature. Aubin also was played well.

Old
09-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I don't think it's a mistake to call him that, his profile says he was born in Potsdam, which is a German city and a key city during the Cold War. I would guess his father was in the USSR military. He's still a Belarussian citizen having played for that country but he wasn't born Belarussian per se it seems.

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com...layer.cgi?4874

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 09-08-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick0069 View Post
Leafs side ....did not pay too much attention but Mitchell and Earl were both good. Pgge was average...made some good saves but nothing great. Think we is still wearing his big pads...they looked bigger than Price. Tlusty...he is going to be a good player...nice pass's...looks mature. Aubin also was played well.
Thanks

Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:44 PM
GSK*

I just want Brent Aubin never did NHL. This is the only thing I wish, this guys is so ***.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Fozz

Quote:
I think you'll find that on the Leaf's board. I'm sure they have a thread on this and maybe even a few reports allready.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:45 PM
flick0069

Tough game for goaltenders....Price was weak on the second and sixth goal. The third was deflected in fron of the net. The fourth we was screened. And the fifth was a shot from about 10 feets away that went in the top corner blocker side....don't think too many goalies would have stopped that one.

Old
09-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Legolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitz View Post
thanks very nice report ! from what you've seen from Grabo , do you think he could play in NHL this year !? too soon to tell I know ...
Grabovski could probably play in the AHL this year, probably not the NHL. He has great speed but there were times where he tried to deke around three guys and lost the puck. The lineup sheet listed him as being 22 years old, which I found surprising...didn't he just play in the World Juniors last year or the year before? I guess that may make sense if his last year of Juniors was 2 years ago...

Old
09-08-2006, 09:47 PM
GSK*

Quote:
Jiri Tlusty was doing well, he's always well positioning on ice. Pogge was seem to be a great futur goaler, he got nice reflex and seem to always see the puck.

In other way Brent Aubin was doing 3 points, but I hate him, I know that guys so, I hope he gonna bust.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:51 PM
TheHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSK View Post

In other way Brent Aubin was doing 3 points, but I hate him, I know that guys so, I hope he gonna bust.
How does someone who's never been drafted bust?

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:52 PM
CH Wizard

Did Picard-Hooper play? If so, how was he?

Our invitees this year don't seem very strong.

Old
09-08-2006, 09:54 PM
albathegreat*

Who from the Leafs laid the big hit on Carle?

albathegreat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Legolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick0069 View Post
Tough game for goaltenders....Price was weak on the second and sixth goal. The third was deflected in fron of the net. The fourth we was screened. And the fifth was a shot from about 10 feets away that went in the top corner blocker side....don't think too many goalies would have stopped that one.
I disagree. The deflection I agree he had no chance, but I think that was the second goal. He wasn't screened on the third or fourth goal, if it's the same goal I'm thinking about. The third goal was the shot from the goal line at the side of the net. I could see if he was at a disadvantage because the net was higher and bigger than what he is used to (I did not know that before the game) but it was a shot he should have stopped. The fourth goal was glove side and he was slow to react. The fifth goal was from in close and it was blocker side, but it was hardly a bullet shot. The sixth goal was terrible.

Price and Latendresse will both be criticized more than most prospects. Price because he was taken fifth overall, and Latendresse because he's French Canadian and had a big camp last year. I thought Price was okay but he definitely had a weak game.