HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Disagreement over a salary cap puts the NHL on thin ice

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2003, 10:10 AM
  #1
Bennevol10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Disagreement over a salary cap puts the NHL on thin ice

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/7270836.htm

I am all for salary cap. At the same time I do not feel sorry for the players or the team owners. Both are Filthy RICH. Most of us never going to make $10 Millions in our entire life time.

For example: I want a hard salary cap of $37 - 40 millions. If a team go over that cap, that team have to share it's revenue plus luxury tax. If that team go $5 Millions over the cap that team has to pay $5 Millions luxury tax. I also think there should be cap for rookies entry-level contracts and bounuses. Including bonuses a rookie can make $5 millions and that will be the max he can make in his 1st three years in NHL.

If owners and palyers agrees to this kind of agreement. I believe owners have to slash the ticket prices start from next season. If owners disagree with this. I am not going to sign and salary cap or luxury tax agreement. I will support NHLPA for not signing that kind of deal. These owners are Filthy rick. These salary cap and luxury tax only will help them get richer. So they can buy an island or buy a Million dollar car. For fans who can't afford to take their family memebers to see a NHL game at least once a season. Hopefully this might help some fans to take their family to a game. I also believe this will help attract new fans.

What is your take on this topic? I think Fans should have some kind of say on this. Because we pay their salaries.

Bennevol10 is offline  
Old
11-16-2003, 01:33 PM
  #2
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Why on earth would the owners agree to lower ticket prices? If they lower their payroll, all they are doing is increasing their profit; and maybe help a few small market teams get a chance at the cup. They will charge as much as they can, and prices will stay that way as long as people are willing to pay $100 for a seat and $5 for nachos.

MojoJojo is offline  
Old
11-16-2003, 02:31 PM
  #3
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennevol10

For example: I want a hard salary cap of $37 - 40 millions. If a team go over that cap, that team have to share it's revenue plus luxury tax. If that team go $5 Millions over the cap that team has to pay $5 Millions luxury tax.
I don't think that would constitute a hard cap. My understanding of hard cap is that a team may not exceed the cap under any circumstances. There are no taxes or things to discourage spending beyond a ceiling, teams are simply forbidden to do so.

A hard cap would be a thing of beauty.

dedalus is offline  
Old
11-16-2003, 04:37 PM
  #4
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennevol10
For example: I want a hard salary cap of $37 - 40 millions. If a team go over that cap, that team have to share it's revenue plus luxury tax. If that team go $5 Millions over the cap that team has to pay $5 Millions luxury tax. I also think there should be cap for rookies entry-level contracts and bounuses. Including bonuses a rookie can make $5 millions and that will be the max he can make in his 1st three years in NHL.
What you have described is a soft cap, not a hard cap. Hard caps have no exemptions.

Quote:
If owners and palyers agrees to this kind of agreement. I believe owners have to slash the ticket prices start from next season. If owners disagree with this. I am not going to sign and salary cap or luxury tax agreement. I will support NHLPA for not signing that kind of deal. These owners are Filthy rick. These salary cap and luxury tax only will help them get richer. So they can buy an island or buy a Million dollar car. For fans who can't afford to take their family memebers to see a NHL game at least once a season. Hopefully this might help some fans to take their family to a game. I also believe this will help attract new fans.
Owners are under no obligation to slash ticket prices. After that I don't really know what you are talking about, you ramble.

Quote:
What is your take on this topic? I think Fans should have some kind of say on this. Because we pay their salaries.
We have a whole board dedicated to topics such as this.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
11-16-2003, 05:38 PM
  #5
BrindA17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pa
Posts: 1,518
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrindA17
What, exactly, did the guy mean when he said, "We've seen what a cap did to the NFL and the NBA. It won't happen to hockey."

What happened that was so bad? Any hold-outs were temporary, so is he referring to something else?

BrindA17 is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 02:07 AM
  #6
danw81
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I believe that something will get done. The most likely and best solution is for the owners to get a soft cap or a luxuary-tax system (likely it will hit only the top 5 teams to start with but thats better than nothing). In return the players could get a lower UFA age...maybe drop it to 29.

The lowering of tickets prices however I don't know about. You lower the prices then there will be a shortage and people will still have to pay more through scalping. You can't escape market forces, they are what they are. I know only a small amount about hockey but the economics of hockey and sports is my forte.

 
Old
11-17-2003, 12:53 PM
  #7
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexxy27
The NFL system will never be agreed upon by the players cause it has went too far in the owners favor. The parity of the league is great and fun to watch, but players get dropped left and right (because of salary cap issues) and it is rather unfair. You can be a pro bowl player in January and get release by a team a few months later.
Yes but I believe your last point to be overblown by the players. How many of those Pro Bowl players are out of work as a result of being cut? None. They get picked up by another team, and pretty often they get picked up on waivers which means their contract is exactly what it was with their original team.

I'd love the NFL system for all four sports. For starters it would mean the end of the Yankees - reason enough for instituting it, IMO.

dedalus is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 01:02 PM
  #8
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Yes but I believe your last point to be overblown by the players. How many of those Pro Bowl players are out of work as a result of being cut? None. They get picked up by another team, and pretty often they get picked up on waivers which means their contract is exactly what it was with their original team.

I'd love the NFL system for all four sports. For starters it would mean the end of the Yankees - reason enough for instituting it, IMO.
Guys, seriously, there is another board for this topic, where discussions like this are already taken place. You'll have a much better conversation there. And in that forum I've said countless times, the NFL system is totally unfeasable in other sports. It shouldn't even be on the radar.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 01:45 PM
  #9
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Guys, seriously, there is another board for this topic, where discussions like this are already taken place. You'll have a much better conversation there.
Nonsense! Going there would involve clicking my mouse twice more. TWICE! Have you any idea how many ergs I'd be wasting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
the NFL system is totally unfeasable in other sports. It shouldn't even be on the radar.
Feasibility schmeezability! We're talking death to the Yankees! Stop urinating on my euphoric vision of a Steinbrenner-free world!

dedalus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.