Notices

September 10th Globe & Herald articles

Old
09-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Shinny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWANSON View Post
Any team can sign Fitzgerald with almost no hit to their cap. So why hasn't he been signed yet? Oh yeah, because he is TOO OLD AND TOO SLOW. His days in the NHL are over. Maybe Dave Andreychuk should show up for a tryout too and we can start a Bruins Geriatric Team full of "character guys" that are too old to compete in the new NHL. Hockey is a business, not a charity.
I don't see anyone here suggesting the B's sign a bunch of "old" players. Some people like to acknowledge what a player contributes to the team, and even though Fitzy isn't the player he once was, he did make contributions and for cheap money.

Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 11:41 PM
HumBucker
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
I think it's pretty fair to assume that Fitzgeritol has been begging for a tryout. There have been other articles stating as much.
Maybe he'd like to keep playing, in which case, why wouldn't he contact the team he played for to see if there's a place for him. Maybe there is no place him on this squad. But I've seen no evidence of him "begging", or that he has no pride. If you have other articles that say he is, post them. Let's see them. You probably misread those ones too.

Whether or not he's finished, it's incredibly cowardly and petty of you to accuse a guy who's had a respectable NHL career of having no pride.

A chimpanzee smearing his own feces would be a more welcome contribution than the ***** some of you people spread.

HumBucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 11:45 PM
HumBucker
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
He seems classy in a way that doesn't come up with lame nicknames or type out muted laughter. He seems classy in a way that led him to be one of the only players to call out the team for their poor performance last year rather than shrug it off as bad breaks. He seems classy in a way that many here and around the league believe he will make a very good coach. He seems classy in a way that has him still wanting to be a part of the Bruins organization after the one year trainwreck that was last season. He has lost a step, but every has or will someday. Some people pack it in and give up on hockey some work to stay a part of it and help their team in anyway they can. You talk about pride. Pride is not going out on top, pride is sticking around and helping those you can in anyway you can. He's not looking for a handout. He's looking to work and help the organization while people like you ***** and moan behind a keyboard. Talk about class.

Great post. He was one of the few guys last season that actually showed real leadership and accountability while others merely talked about it.

HumBucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 12:48 AM
SPICOLI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
That's all fine and good but if you can't get it done you don't belong. Fitzy doesn't have it anymore and that''s why the Bruins (or any other team for that matter) hasn't called with an offer.

SPICOLI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 12:56 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz#24 View Post
I am curious as to who exactly the vets that may be invited to camp are...can't see any defenseman on the list with YORK and DEMPSEY already in camp, Matt LASHOFF looka like they could challenge as well. Maybe guys like Tom FITZGERALD...Mike LECLERC...Todd HARVEY...guys that could earn a job on the fourth line and/or create some depth up front.
Here's the list of UFAs still available ...

CENTERS
Jason Allison
Yanic Perreault
Jim Dowd
Andrew Cassels
Jared Aulin

WINGERS
Anson Carter
Viktor Kozlov
Radek Dvorak
Oleg Kvasha
Peter Bondra
Valeri Bure
Brian Savage
Eric Daze
Turner Stevenson
Boyd Devereaux
Scott Young
Mike Leclerc
Clarke Wilm
Aaron Gavey
Todd Harvey
Erik Rasmussen
Pierre Dagenais
Tom Fitzgerald
Tyler Wright
Nathan Perrott
Richard Park

DEFENSEMEN
Brian Leetch
Chris Therien
Jason Woolley
Cale Hulse
Bryan Marchment
John Erskine
Joel Kwiatkowski
Alexander Khavanov
Alexander Karpovtsev
Todd Simpson
Tommy Albelin
Jason Strudwick
Lyle Odelein
Igor Ulanov
Chris McAllister
Steve Poapst
Ivan Majesky
Jason Doig
Brad Brown
Jonathan Aitken

GOALIES/BACK UPS
Mike Dunham
Brian Boucher
Steve Shields
Felix Potvin
Scott Clemmensen
Maxime Ouellet

ENFORCER/FIGHTERS
Tie Domi
Jeremy Stevenson
Ryan VandenBussche
Darren Langdon
Dan Lacouture
Kip Brennan
Dennis Bonvie
Chris Dingman
Peter Worrell
Dale Purinton
Krzysztof Oliwa
Doug Doull

Ruling out the Bruins players named in the article as well as the goalies and defensemen, of which the B's seem set, there only a handful players I would consider worthy. Unfortunately, most of them, including Tyler Wright, Mike Leclerc, Turner Stevenson, Todd Harvey, Todd Simpson, Jason Strudwick and maybe Kip Brennan, are better suited for pre-lockout hockey rather than post. Half of them are as much a liability as they are anything else, and the other half are 3rd liners or less - the kind the Bruins just don't have room for.

The real $64K question is who Chiarelli would consider? Clearly the question mark for the Bruins is #2 LW, followed by a need for a significant physical presence up front outside of a part-time enforcer. Unfortunately, as PC already noted, top-6 bruisers who can play today's game are increasingly coveted - and therefore harder to come by. But there are some skaters and shooters still out there, though most have huge question marks pasted on their heads.

Viktor Kozlov has the size and skill but has never scored more than 22 goals in a season. Oleg Kvasha has more speed, but is cut from the same uninspiring mold. Valeri Bure hasn't played in 2 years. Brian Savage & Eric Daze, each known as snipers, have each scored about 25 goals over the last three years. Radek Dvorak has speed and certain abilities, but he plays the right side where the Bruins already seem set. Boyd Devereaux would be a decent 4th liner, but I'd rather give a shot to someone like Stastny. Peter Bondra can still skate and shoot, but he's 38, diminishing, and doesn't fit PC's mold of a young tireless working team-first player.

In the end, you have to think about whether the guy you're bringing in will not only improve your team, but if his acquisition will outweigh the option of giving one of the youngsters a clear shot at making the team. If the Bruins are hesitant about Kessel, Kalus, etc stepping into a full time second line role, which shouldn't be out of the question, then it makes sense to at have some competition at the spot. That said, while players can be cut, these days you have to be careful about the cap hit.

If it were up to me and I were looking to add a body for increased competition, I'd take a closer look at Bondra and maybe Leclerc. As long as Bondra has fully recovered from the groin injury, he still brings some speed to the table and his release is still quick and [fairly] accurate. If Kessel wasn't ready and nobody else was able to step forward, barring setbacks, Bondra would be a reasonable backup plan who also brings needed speed to the line. Leclerc, on the other hand, has a non-existent skating game, but he's young and energetic enough to compensate for this shortcoming. He could back up Savard and Murray and perhaps create a little room for them to work their magic. But the end result would have to prove out, otherwise the trio's combined skating liability would prove problematic.

The rest ... Kvasha, Kozlov, Dvorak, Daze, Stevenson, Wright etc seem like either the risk is too great or they just don't fit the Bruins needs. Not sure if Domi would be a better option than Brookbank, though at least he could skate a regular shift (albeit on the 4th line). But just as with Bondra and Leclerc, would the money be well spent? Maybe.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 01:03 AM
SPICOLI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
I don't see anyone here suggesting the B's sign a bunch of "old" players. Some people like to acknowledge what a player contributes to the team, and even though Fitzy isn't the player he once was, he did make contributions and for cheap money.
Sorry, but a six figure salary is hardly cheap money. Players are given a roster spot to play and score points, not to be a healthy scratch sitting in the press box. Fitzy was once a good player, yes, but he is no longer effective on the ice. Anyone who says he deserves a roster spot is crazy. This being said, he can definitely still bring something to the table as a coach or in a position OFF THE ICE. He is very knowledgable and personable and can still contribute. Giving him a roster spot in Boston is a waste of a roster spot at this point. Giving him a spot in Providence would be more beneficial to help out all of the talent that will be there this season.

Old
09-11-2006, 01:17 AM
SPICOLI*

Great post Meister.... It's nice to hear some educated and well thought-out insight about the Bruins' needs.

Old
09-11-2006, 05:55 AM
Don Cherry*

Quote:

DC -- one of your themes seems to be disliking when NHLers are referred to as classy. Is there anyone you thinks fits that description?
I don't dislike players for being "classy" (over-used term). I just like to hear the reasons for them being labeled as such. I never seem to get an answer for some reason.

To me, "classy" was Hal Gill going above and beyond visiting childrens hospitals and doing other charity work within the community. The were other players involved with some of these things, (Lacouture?) but Hal was always clearly leading the way when it came to charity events.

"Classy" was Ray Bourque giving Phil Esposito his number back. (Class took a permanent vacation in the Bourque household a few years ago, but that's another issue.)

"Classy" was Jonathan Girard stopping to take advice which I'm sure he didn't want from a fan (me) on the street while his teammates continued along without him. "Classy" was also Girard being in no hurry to rush along and actually thanking me for the advice which, as I said, I'm sure he didn't want.

Current cases of "classy" would be Tim Thomas and his genuine desire to help Hannu and likely the other goaltenders within the organization.

Back on to "Fitzgeritol"- Why is it suddenly "classy" to offer yourself around the league when no teams have come calling? If a player was wanted wouldn't the team get in contact with them? Did the Bruins call Chara? Savard? I think they did. I don't remember them teasing the Bruins to sign them.

Does Fitzgerald think the Bruins maybe just forgot him so he needs to remind them he's still around? Has the guy added something new to his game that's suddenly made him a better player at 38? Has he ever had to go begging for work earlier in his career? Doubtful, so why doesn't that he has to now tell him something?

Bottom line- he should simply retire rather than going through the process of being told his services are no longer wanted or needed. He proved beyond any doubt that he's no longer of any use and he will only take the spot that could go to a younger, more hungry player. If he truly had any pride he would accept it and move on to the next step which, as some said, might well be coaching.

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:38 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Current cases of "classy" would be Tim Thomas and his genuine desire to help Hannu and likely the other goaltenders within the organization.

so thomas is classy for doing so, but fitzgerald isn't for helping boyes?

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:43 AM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Quote:
I don't dislike players for being "classy" (over-used term). I just like to hear the reasons for them being labeled as such. I never seem to get an answer for some reason.
Class is not demanding reasons why people are classy, then if not given degrading them.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Shinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWANSON View Post
Sorry, but a six figure salary is hardly cheap money. Players are given a roster spot to play and score points, not to be a healthy scratch sitting in the press box. Fitzy was once a good player, yes, but he is no longer effective on the ice. Anyone who says he deserves a roster spot is crazy. This being said, he can definitely still bring something to the table as a coach or in a position OFF THE ICE. He is very knowledgable and personable and can still contribute. Giving him a roster spot in Boston is a waste of a roster spot at this point. Giving him a spot in Providence would be more beneficial to help out all of the talent that will be there this season.
If I recall correctly, Fitzy made in the $400s last year. IMO that IS cheap money for a veteran in the NHL. I'm not advocating for him to have a roster spot this year; my argument is that he did contribute last year and earned his money, and doesn't deserve to be disrespected. He did play in a lot of games as well; it wasn't as if he was a constant scratch. And you say all players are expected to score points in the NHL? There are a lot of guys who don't, but still play their role well.

Old
09-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Shinny

Quote:
Not true; when you questioned someone referring to Leetch being classy I gave you a handful of links where reporters referred to him as such, citing examples. I would guess most of those reporters know more about him first hand than you or I.

There are a lot of overused adjectives and cliches in sports; I'll agree with you that "classy" is one of them, but sometimes the use is correct.

Old
09-11-2006, 09:46 AM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Quote:
If I recall correctly, Fitzy made in the $400s last year. IMO that IS cheap money for a veteran in the NHL. I'm not advocating for him to have a roster spot this year; my argument is that he did contribute last year and earned his money, and doesn't deserve to be disrespected. He did play in a lot of games as well; it wasn't as if he was a constant scratch. And you say all players are expected to score points in the NHL? There are a lot of guys who don't, but still play their role well.

This is what makes Bergeron so speciel he just doesn't put up pts he also does the so-called little things that don't show up on the score sheet.

Any pts Fitzy put up during his career would be considered a bonus as his intangibles was what made him valuable.

Old
09-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Shinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original six View Post
This is what makes Bergeron so speciel he just doesn't put up pts he also does the so-called little things that don't show up on the score sheet.

Any pts Fitzy put up during his career would be considered a bonus as his intangibles was what made him valuable.
Both good points. I wish hockey had a phrase like baseball's "five tool player" because that's what Bergeron is to me. Way beyond a good two-way player.

Old
09-11-2006, 10:17 AM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Quote:
Not true; when you questioned someone referring to Leetch being classy I gave you a handful of links where reporters referred to him as such, citing examples. I would guess most of those reporters know more about him first hand than you or I.

There are a lot of overused adjectives and cliches in sports; I'll agree with you that "classy" is one of them, but sometimes the use is correct.
Speaking of Leetch:

I have a young friend who has an illness and was invited to attend a Bruin game.Which constituted of him entering the locker room to meet the Bruins and to sit on the players bench during their pre-game skate.Leetch was the one Bruin who stood out to my young friend as he spent time with him on the bench and gave him words of encouragement.

Leetch autographed memorabilia for him, once again emphasizing words of encouragement and within the last yr he sent him autographed pictures with more words of encourgament.

At this day and age when players tend to get chastised for what they do on or off the ice there is alot of GOOD out there that everybody doesn't get to see.

What leetch did was out kindness as he expected nothing in return and by him reaching out with just a few words and by sharing time on the Bruins bench with this young man is immeasurable as to the amount of faith and spirit given.

Thats Class !!!

Old
09-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Shinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original six View Post
Speaking of Leetch:

I have a young friend who has an illness and was invited to attend a Bruin game.Which constituted of him entering the locker room to meet the Bruins and to sit on the players bench during their pre-game skate.Leetch was the one Bruin who stood out to my young friend as he spent time with him on the bench and gave him words of encouragement.

Leetch autographed memorabilia for him, once again emphasizing words of encouragement and within the last yr he sent him autographed pictures with more words of encourgament.

At this day and age when players tend to get chastised for what they do on or off the ice there is alot of GOOD out there that everybody doesn't get to see.

What leetch did was out kindness as he expected nothing in return and by him reaching out with just a few words and by sharing time on the Bruins bench with this young man is immeasurable as to the amount of faith and spirit given.

Thats Class !!!
Thanks for sharing that story. That is the definition of class and compassion. I remember someone posting something similar to how close Hannu got to a terminally ill child. I think that NHLers are often a different breed than other pro athletes, in that they do things because they are the right thing to do and not for any publicity.

I hope your friend is doing well.

Old
09-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that story. That is the definition of class and compassion. I remember someone posting something similar to how close Hannu got to a terminally ill child. I think that NHLers are often a different breed than other pro athletes, in that they do things because they are the right thing to do and not for any publicity.

I hope your friend is doing well.
Agree on Leetch. This is truly "class".

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
CENTERS
Jason Allison
Yanic Perreault
Jim Dowd
Andrew Cassels
Jared Aulin

Sign me up for either Allison or Perreault for fourth line center if none of the kids step up in camp....and even if they do step up it might make more sense for them all to have a season in Providence.

Jason Allison as a 4th line player/PP specialist would be great. I doubt he accepts such a role.

Yannic Perreault, however, probably would. Not the PP part, but a 4th line center who wins faceoffs at a ridiculous clip and has some offensive spark. The guy was very good last year and while not a great defensive player he certainly has value.

Tough decision with so many kids we want to get in the lineup, but the depth would be great.

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 08:39 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

If he really wanted to stay on the ice Fitzgerald would be a wise choice to captain the Providence B's on a 2-way deal---in case he was ever needed in Boston in a pinch. IIRC, Dave Lowry was sent down and placed in a similar role at age 38 for Calgary/St. John about 4 years ago after 15+ years in the league. He ended up making his way back to the show and later playing some games in the 2004 finals too.

Fitzgerald is deserving of respect as a guy and a hockey player--he was useful player in the Islanders 1993 run and was a key guy in knocking off our B's in those 1996 playoffs that saw Florida reach the final.
I would offer him a sensible and dignified position at a low risk if I were in charge. From the outset I say there is not a spot in Boston for him--but I would put him in the organization and see what happens. He's certainly a better player than Brent Thompson was for the PB's in 2004-05 and would be every bit the mentor Thompson was that season.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote