HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Kessel possible to Saginaw?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-10-2006, 08:00 PM
  #1
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
Kessel possible to Saginaw?

ok i know alot of people use hfboards.com and NOOF to discuss OHL hockey, and i wanted to correct a big mistake that was made on there that might shoot down Spirit fan's hopes, now 6 years ago the Sarnia Sting gained Mike Van Ryn cause he left michigan but didn't make the team out of camp, Sarnia drafted him 2 years before so it was the only place for them, Kessel is too young for the AHL and would not be allowed to join providence i'm not sure if Saginaw drafted Kessel at all, but he would join his OHL drafted team if he doesn't make Boston out of camp. and ifhe was undrafted Kessel would probably choose Saginaw or Plymouth or even Erie.

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 08:04 PM
  #2
nexusrage21
Registered User
 
nexusrage21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Kessel isn't too young to play AHL, because he wasn't a CHL player

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 08:19 PM
  #3
Pothier
Registered User
 
Pothier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kingston, ON
Posts: 4,765
vCash: 500
"The Broons" didn't take him out of school just so he could play at a similar calibre of hockey.

Pothier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 08:21 PM
  #4
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,984
vCash: 500
This thread should be closed.

Kessel playing for the Spirit is about as likely as the Leafs winning the 2004-05 Stanley Cup.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 08:34 PM
  #5
RUSqueelin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
ok i know alot of people use hfboards.com and NOOF to discuss OHL hockey, and i wanted to correct a big mistake that was made on there that might shoot down Spirit fan's hopes, now 6 years ago the Sarnia Sting gained Mike Van Ryn cause he left michigan but didn't make the team out of camp
What does this have to do with Kessel. He'd be a top player in the O no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
Kessel is too young for the AHL and would not be allowed to join providence
Kessel can play in the AHL. You are referring to a CHL rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post

i'm not sure if Saginaw drafted Kessel at all,
He was drafted by Saginaw. That's why people are proposing the possibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post

but he would join his OHL drafted team if he doesn't make Boston out of camp.
this is incorrect as stated above.



In short, there is no way kessel playes for Saginaw this year.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 08:34 PM
  #6
Default101
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,064
vCash: 500
the rules for that must have changed just recently then, i know europeans don't have to follow that rule but north american's do, which is why when Mike Van Ryn didn't make New Jersey or St. Louis can't remember which one, but he didn't make the team they were not allowed to option him to the AHL so he had to be sent to his CHL draftee team.

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 08:50 PM
  #7
RUSqueelin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
the rules for that must have changed just recently then, i know europeans don't have to follow that rule but north american's do, which is why when Mike Van Ryn didn't make New Jersey or St. Louis can't remember which one, but he didn't make the team they were not allowed to option him to the AHL so he had to be sent to his CHL draftee team.
Are you sure he had to go to the CHL. I doubt it. He probably went to the CHL because that's what his NHL team wanted and he was better suited to develop in the CHL. Trevor Lewis and David Muckler are good examples, they could play in the AHL after leaving their college teams but choose the CHL for a year of development.

If a player was drafted by an NHL team while IN the CHL, then the rule applies - NHL or CHL. So if a player was drafted while playing NCAA or in Europe then it doesn't count. Even if a European player is drafted while playing in the CHL then the rule applies. It's all what system you are when you are drafted.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 08:53 PM
  #8
El_Scoobo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Your Imagination
Country: Canada
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
Zero chance Kessell will play in the Ohl. May as well have let him stay in school, then.

El_Scoobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 08:35 AM
  #9
Buddha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
You are mistaken on Mike Van Ryn. Mike used a loophole in the CBA to garner the possiblility of getting UFA Status from the NHL. It was referred to as the Mike Van Ryn rule. (Mike Comrie also did this forcing Edmonton to pony up the big bucks.) It involvled college players playing in the CHL before the time for teams to sign the picks had expired. This loophole was closed with the CBA.
http://www.uscho.com/news/id,24/Arbi...nFavorofVanRyn

This link explains it way better then I can.

Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 02:51 PM
  #10
RUSqueelin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
You are mistaken on Mike Van Ryn. Mike used a loophole in the CBA to garner the possiblility of getting UFA Status from the NHL. It was referred to as the Mike Van Ryn rule. (Mike Comrie also did this forcing Edmonton to pony up the big bucks.) It involvled college players playing in the CHL before the time for teams to sign the picks had expired. This loophole was closed with the CBA.
http://www.uscho.com/news/id,24/Arbi...nFavorofVanRyn

This link explains it way better then I can.
You've jointed my memory now. I do remember that now.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 12:03 AM
  #11
CHL Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Scoobo View Post
Zero chance Kessell will play in the Ohl. May as well have let him stay in school, then.

While I agree with the first part, I disagree with the second. There's no substitute for 74-100 competitive games a season.

He may need some time with that tempo sustained. Doubtful, but always possible. Keep an open mind until he actually breaks through the Daigle barrier.

CHL Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 03:08 PM
  #12
toomanymen
Registered User
 
toomanymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,298
vCash: 500
All of this is interesting semantics, but Kessel is in Boston or Providence end of story. I don't mean that I haven't learned from the info but...

toomanymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 04:23 PM
  #13
5mn Major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHL Watcher View Post
There's no substitute for 74-100 competitive games a season.
...which a 19 year old Phil Kessel will not find in the CHL.

5mn Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 05:30 PM
  #14
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHL Watcher View Post
While I agree with the first part, I disagree with the second. There's no substitute for 74-100 competitive games a season.

He may need some time with that tempo sustained. Doubtful, but always possible. Keep an open mind until he actually breaks through the Daigle barrier.
Typical D1 weekly schedule (At least it was at Ohio State in 2001)
Monday Practice 2 Hrs On Ice - Lower body strength Maintenance program
Tue Practice 2 Hrs On Ice (Full contact) - Upper body strength maintenance program
Wed Practice 2 Hrs On Ice (Full Contact)- 30-45 mins dryland
Thur Practice 2 Hrs On Ice -
Fri Game
Sat Game
Sunday optional skate

I'm sure every Junior A team in Canada has one hell of a tough schedule but if the Bruins ever put him at Sag (Never will happen) it's not in order to get him use to more games

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 06:46 PM
  #15
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mn Major View Post
...which a 19 year old Phil Kessel will not find in the CHL.
5mn Major and I have had our share of disagreements, but not this time.

I felt Kessel should have stayed in Minnesota one more year, but excluding that, it's AHL or NHL for him. Playing for Saginaw for one year would be a lateral move at best.

Kessell belongs in the AHL or NHL. Period.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 07:36 PM
  #16
TerrieRizer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Billerica,MA
Country: United States
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TerrieRizer*
Phil Kessel will either play 1st or 2nd line LW on the Bruins, period, end of story.

TerrieRizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 08:01 PM
  #17
thomasincanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrieRizer View Post
Phil Kessel will either play 1st or 2nd line LW on the Bruins, period, end of story.
In providence maybe, but I don't think he's ready for that role in the NHL just yet.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 09:12 PM
  #18
TerrieRizer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Billerica,MA
Country: United States
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TerrieRizer*
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomincanada View Post
In providence maybe, but I don't think he's ready for that role in the NHL just yet.
Do you have any basis for this or is it just in YOUR opinion. The whole reason the Bruins didn't sign a 2nd line LW is because they believe Kessel will fit into that role with Savard and Murray. IF you don't think he's ready because of his age, then I would tell you to do some homework on a player called Bergeron, Patrice.

TerrieRizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 09:33 PM
  #19
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrieRizer View Post
Do you have any basis for this or is it just in YOUR opinion. The whole reason the Bruins didn't sign a 2nd line LW is because they believe Kessel will fit into that role with Savard and Murray. IF you don't think he's ready because of his age, then I would tell you to do some homework on a player called Bergeron, Patrice.
And I would tell you to do some homework researching the odds of teenagers performing as well as Bergeron did at his age.

His point was valid.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 10:54 PM
  #20
thomasincanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrieRizer View Post
Do you have any basis for this or is it just in YOUR opinion. The whole reason the Bruins didn't sign a 2nd line LW is because they believe Kessel will fit into that role with Savard and Murray. IF you don't think he's ready because of his age, then I would tell you to do some homework on a player called Bergeron, Patrice.
Yes it's just my opinion. So is what you posted, by the way. I've seen enough of him play and I just don't see him filling a 1st or 2nd line role yet. Down the road, yes, but not this year. Bergeron wasn't the norm at all, FYI. Throwing out a name doesn't make you right. I can name guys that were drafted high and *never* made it as well, you know, but that proves nothing either.

As for the fact that the bruins don't have a LW - have they even decided what position Kessel will play? Maybe they want him at center on the 3rd line or something like that. I'm sure they're waiting for training camp to finish to make any final decisions. Maybe Bruins management should just ask you. Instead of making young guys prove themselves they can just ask people on the internet who should play where.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 10:59 PM
  #21
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomincanada View Post
Yes it's just my opinion. So is what you posted, by the way. I've seen enough of him play and I just don't see him filling a 1st or 2nd line role yet. Down the road, yes, but not this year. Bergeron wasn't the norm at all, FYI. Throwing out a name doesn't make you right. I can name guys that were drafted high and *never* made it as well, you know, but that proves nothing either.

As for the fact that the bruins don't have a LW - have they even decided what position Kessel will play? Maybe they want him at center on the 3rd line or something like that. I'm sure they're waiting for training camp to finish to make any final decisions. Maybe Bruins management should just ask you. Instead of making young guys prove themselves they can just ask people on the internet who should play where.


Jason Bonsignore says you have no idea what you are talking about.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 11:23 AM
  #22
TerrieRizer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Billerica,MA
Country: United States
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TerrieRizer*
[QUOTE=tomincanada;6508202]Yes it's just my opinion. So is what you posted, by the way. [\QUOTE]

Go read the Bruins boards some time. Everyone and their mother will tell you that the reason that they didn't sign a LW is because they plan on playing one of the rookies there whether it be Kessel, Kalus, et al. Kessel will not be the 3rd line center because the 3rd line is already set with Axelsson, W. Primeau, and Donovan. Even Chiarelli has hinted to one of the rookies playing in the 2nd line LW spot. I follow the Bruins religiously, and I know my **** much more than someone who has no idea what's goin on with the team.

TerrieRizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 11:37 AM
  #23
thomasincanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrieRizer View Post
Go read the Bruins boards some time. Everyone and their mother will tell you that the reason that they didn't sign a LW is because they plan on playing one of the rookies there whether it be Kessel, Kalus, et al. Kessel will not be the 3rd line center because the 3rd line is already set with Axelsson, W. Primeau, and Donovan. Even Chiarelli has hinted to one of the rookies playing in the 2nd line LW spot. I follow the Bruins religiously, and I know my **** much more than someone who has no idea what's goin on with the team.

I do read the bruins forum and I see a lot of different opinions there. I've seen several opinions on line combinations - a few that didn't even include Kessel at all. Many seem to think Kalus will be the 2nd line left wing the Bruins need. That sure goes against your previous post about Kessel being guaranteed to be on 1st or 2nd line.

To quote a Mod who just posted there today ...

Kessel, if he isn't sent to Providence to start the season, would likely see some rotation on the 4th line to start. Just my opinion, though.

For someone who claims to "know their ****" you sure seem to be talking out of your arse here.


Last edited by thomasincanada: 09-17-2006 at 11:48 AM.
thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 03:15 PM
  #24
TerrieRizer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Billerica,MA
Country: United States
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TerrieRizer*
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomincanada View Post
I do read the bruins forum and I see a lot of different opinions there. I've seen several opinions on line combinations - a few that didn't even include Kessel at all. Many seem to think Kalus will be the 2nd line left wing the Bruins need. That sure goes against your previous post about Kessel being guaranteed to be on 1st or 2nd line.

To quote a Mod who just posted there today ...

Kessel, if he isn't sent to Providence to start the season, would likely see some rotation on the 4th line to start. Just my opinion, though.

For someone who claims to "know their ****" you sure seem to be talking out of your arse here.
If you chose to actually read my post you would have noticed that I said "The whole reason the Bruins didn't sign a 2nd line LW is because they believe Kessel will fit into that role." When they made this decision, Kalus wasn't part of the equation. Kalus then impressed at camp and is now fighting with Kessel for that 2nd line LW spot WHICH I STATED. IF Kessel loses out to Kalus, then he will go play in Providence, but the initial reason the Bruins DID NOT SIGN A SECOND LINE LW is because they had Kessel pegged to play there. Now it's between Kalus and Kessel.

TerrieRizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 04:37 PM
  #25
thomasincanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrieRizer View Post
If you chose to actually read my post you would have noticed that I said "The whole reason the Bruins didn't sign a 2nd line LW is because they believe Kessel will fit into that role." When they made this decision, Kalus wasn't part of the equation. Kalus then impressed at camp and is now fighting with Kessel for that 2nd line LW spot WHICH I STATED. IF Kessel loses out to Kalus, then he will go play in Providence, but the initial reason the Bruins DID NOT SIGN A SECOND LINE LW is because they had Kessel pegged to play there. Now it's between Kalus and Kessel.

What happened to ..."Phil Kessel will either play 1st or 2nd line LW on the Bruins, period, end of story."?

Now you're backtracking real fast here it seems... He's not guaranteed the spot after all. He may end up in Providence after all - WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID AND YOU HAD A HUGE PROBLEM WITH !!

At least you've finally realized that what you assumed was not actually written in stone and Kessel still has to earn that spot - which he may not do just yet.

thomasincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.