HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

'mark' Of Excellence

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2003, 04:48 AM
KING

vCash: 500
'mark' Of Excellence

http://nypost.com/sports/rangers/4223.htm

Old
11-17-2003, 04:55 AM
KING

Mess leaves Mark on tie

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-122268c.html

Old
11-17-2003, 05:02 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Say what you will, Messier has been great this year.

11-17-2003, 05:18 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Say what you will, Messier has been great this year.
He has been producing so it's kind of hard to knock him but he does routinely make some lousy plays so I wouldn't say he's been great. I also don't agree with the ice time he gets despite his success, he takes away from other players who can do more if given 18 minutes a night.

Old
11-17-2003, 06:02 AM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
Yes Messier has been good, I hesitate to use great. But Mess is ALWAYS good the first two months of the season. What I'm worried about is January, Feb. and March. At the rate he is being played he will need a walker to get across the rink.

Old
11-17-2003, 06:22 AM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundyfan
Yes Messier has been good, I hesitate to use great. But Mess is ALWAYS good the first two months of the season. What I'm worried about is January, Feb. and March. At the rate he is being played he will need a walker to get across the rink.
I understand what you are saying but I think we have to play him hard untile some of the other guys get going. It is just hard for me to dissagree with his ice time now.

Old
11-17-2003, 06:49 AM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
I know that Ranger but there are what? 68 games left in the season. At the rate he's being played he won't make 40. Then end of the season is when they will need him most and if the current trend continues he won't be there.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:41 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Bottom line, if Messier is playing 20 minutes or so per game, I expect him to play well, score goals, skate hard, etc. If ANY player is playing first line minutes, they need to be earning it. Still, I don't see how overplaying a 40-something year old is gonna make us a better team as the season goes on. I give Mess full credit for still be able to take a shift with the younger, faster players of today, but this doesn't mean he isn't hurting the team.

The chemistry of this team is so chaotic & random, i'd really be surprised if we're still in the playoff hunt by February. Sad thing is, if we were in a small market we'd be rebuilding right now & youth would be served. What NYC owners don't realize is that NY fans will have patience with a rebuilding squad.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:47 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
The chemistry of this team is so chaotic & random, i'd really be surprised if we're still in the playoff hunt by February. Sad thing is, if we were in a small market we'd be rebuilding right now & youth would be served. What NYC owners don't realize is that NY fans will have patience with a rebuilding squad.
Yea we would but not the people they get the most profit out of, all the suits in the garden up top.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:01 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Yea we would but not the people they get the most profit out of, all the suits in the garden up top.
How do they benefit from 6 years of no playoffs?

Old
11-17-2003, 08:07 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
How do they benefit from 6 years of no playoffs?
Mark Messier
Eric Lindros
Alex Kovalev
Brian Leetch
Anson Carter

You don't have those names if you rebuild.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:51 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER#11
I understand what you are saying but I think we have to play him hard untile some of the other guys get going. It is just hard for me to dissagree with his ice time now.
The problem I have with Messier getting 20 minutes is that, it's not coming out of Nedved's ice time or Lindros' ice time, no matter how ineffective they are. If Mess is going to log meaningful minutes, it means a 3 line strategy. I can't understand a strategy where a relatively effective 4th line is benched just because Messier's line is playing well. Ice time is not proportional to effort or contribution. It's called a double standard.

Brooks put the whole thing in a brilliant perspective.

Quote:
"He's the man, he has been all year," Sather said after the captain's goal helped his team avoid what would have been a deadly loss. "He's like a 20-year-old."

Well, except for one thing: 20-year-olds don't really get to play for the Rangers, now do they?

Old
11-17-2003, 10:00 AM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
The problem I have with Messier getting 20 minutes is that, it's not coming out of Nedved's ice time or Lindros' ice time, no matter how ineffective they are. If Mess is going to log meaningful minutes, it means a 3 line strategy. I can't understand a strategy where a relatively effective 4th line is benched just because Messier's line is playing well. Ice time is not proportional to effort or contribution. It's called a double standard.

Brooks put the whole thing in a brilliant perspective.
I agree I do not like to see the 4th line benched either. And we all know that is what Sather will do.

Old
11-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Mark Messier
Eric Lindros
Alex Kovalev
Brian Leetch
Anson Carter

You don't have those names if you rebuild.
Yep, Hockey sure is different around here.....

Old
11-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Jackson Ranger

My problem with Messier is the way he plays. He coasts in the offensive zone and, in the defensive zone, he always one of the first people looking to leave the zone. In other words, his play is at the heart of the Ranger problems. He doesn't play smart and with enough defensive discipline.

Yeah, he scored a few goals this year but would you really want to tell a guy like Lundmark to watch Messier play defense? Talk about the worst role model and in fact it's already rubbing off on Lundmark when I see Lundy starting to coast through the neutral zone and not get back to help the D. I'd rather have Messier at zero goals but playing smart and hard defensively than eight goals and not a thought about defense. And I would like to have someone tell me why he is out there shorthanded because for the two shorthanded goals he has scored, he gives up more power play goals for the other team. If you want an example, look no further than Saturday afternoon when the Devils scored a power play goal. The puck was being played at the blue line, Messier leaves the zone "hoping" the Rangers get the puck, they don't and NJ comes down and scores while Mess is still at center ice. Yep, that's the way to play defense.

And another thing, look at Messier's goal last night. The only one who really deserves credit is Rucinsky because he was the one who busted his hump defensively to force the turnover from Berard. All Messier did was pick up the leftovers. Yes, it was nice shot, but Rucinsky deserves the credit for 'creating' Messier's shot.

Closed Thread