HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN.com's Burnside runs down Eastern Conference Camp Questions

Old
09-11-2006, 12:26 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

vCash: 500
ESPN.com's Burnside runs down Eastern Conference Camp Questions

Quote:
The biggest question facing New York is whether it's the team that stumbled its way out of the Atlantic Division lead, then bowed out meekly to New Jersey in four straight games in the first round of the playoffs, or the hardworking team that surprised almost every NHL observer for the first three-quarters of the regular season?

Give GM Glen Sather and right-hand man Don Maloney credit for not sitting back after the Rangers qualified for the postseason for the first time since 1997. The offense has been upgraded with the acquisition of Stanley Cup champion Matt Cullen and ageless Brendan Shanahan. Big Adam Hall should give the Rangers a more physical dimension up front. Defensively, New York is still a bit thin, but adding Cullen's teammate, three-time Cup champ Aaron Ward, won't hurt. Both Jaromir Jagr (shoulder) and Henrik Lundqvist (hip) were injured during the playoffs, and their full recovery will be crucial to the Rangers' not just returning to the playoffs but contending.

Questions: Can coach Tom Renney continue to get Jagr to buy in to his hardworking system even though a couple of his Czech countrymen are gone? Does Lundqvist believe in the sophomore jinx?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=2579632

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Speedtrials

I think that article pretty much sums up the Rangers question marks this season. Although I dont think Rucsinky not being here, will be that much of a factor, in whether Jagr is going to have a good season or not.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 12:42 PM
dank

good points.. we've heard it all before, and we will battle back HARD this year.. i am sure of it..

i cannot wait until the home opener..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 04:36 PM
WheresBarnaby

Indeed, pretty much the same things we already are thinking. One thing I'd like to add, and I think the biggest question difficulty facing the Rangers, is that they're not considered a last place team anymore. Now teams will come into the garden expecting to face a serious team night in, night out. We'll have to mesh, and mesh pretty quickly to get those early season points, come playoff push time we're gonna need them. Especially is the Devils decide to win 15 in a row again

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 06:22 PM
frozenrubber

No one in the mainstream media has yet to significantly call-out the Carolina Hurricanes. Stanley Cup be damned, the loss of Recchi, Weight, Gerber, Cullen, and Ward via UFA and Stillman and Kaberle lost for about 1/2 the season due to recovery times, I want a season preview somewhere to point out they will be fighting for a playoff spot just as much as Atlanta and Florida.

frozenrubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Couple things I found wrong with that article. #1 Lunqvist wasnt hurt during the playoffs, rather he was hurt during I belive a game against Ottawa. #2 who that has left will hurt Jagr's performance? Sykora? Ruchinsky? Neither of them really helped Jagr's point production all that much, other than maybe on the PP. So why with them leaving will Jagr's production be effected? Either way I cant wait untill Oct5

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 09:14 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
No one in the mainstream media has yet to significantly call-out the Carolina Hurricanes. Stanley Cup be damned, the loss of Recchi, Weight, Gerber, Cullen, and Ward via UFA and Stillman and Kaberle lost for about 1/2 the season due to recovery times, I want a season preview somewhere to point out they will be fighting for a playoff spot just as much as Atlanta and Florida.
Carolina was great most of last year w/o Recchi and Weight. Two #1 Goalies is always a difficult thing to make last. One had to go.

They lose Cullen, who any honest Caniac will tell you HURTS. They lose Ward which hurts as well...but

Staal, Cole, Williams, RBA and Ward

That's a solid core

09-11-2006, 09:21 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
Couple things I found wrong with that article. #1 Lunqvist wasnt hurt during the playoffs, rather he was hurt during I belive a game against Ottawa. #2 who that has left will hurt Jagr's performance? Sykora? Ruchinsky? Neither of them really helped Jagr's point production all that much, other than maybe on the PP. So why with them leaving will Jagr's production be effected? Either way I cant wait untill Oct5
I think it was confirmed that Henrik had an injury he was playing through in the Playoffs. He did SKIP the Sweden team during the summer to heal up...THANK YOU HENRIK

As for Jagr..I think he knows the team needed to be tweaked to get him what he REALLY WANTS. A genuine shot at the Cup

He made comments that he trusted Renny and Maloney to make the changes that needed to be made to help the team. He didn't name names, but is ANYONE not happy with the roster changes. Other than the guys who left that is...

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 03:40 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

The rangers improved in just about every way possible, heres how i would break down the offseason.

Cap room still to add another elite player if necessary? CHECK
Upgrade Poti? Rachunek...CHECK
Upgrade Rucchin? Cullen...CHECK
Upgrade Moore? Immonen/Dubinsky...CHECK
Upgrade Sykora? Shanahan...CHECK
Upgrade Rucinsky? Hall....long term, probably, short term...probably not.
Upgrade Bozolinsh? Ward...CHECK
Replace Orts? Dawes/Moore....CHECK

only think i woulda liked is to move Rozsival while his value is high, and try to replace him, with some of the prospects/salary we have left with a blueline or center ice anchor for years to come...someone like Vinny L, or Zherdev (wing, but still), or another elite player who needs to be moved.

this offseason was a resounding success, NOT just because of how much we improved, but...

The flyers either stayed the same, or regressed a bit.
The devils will certainly regress because they will HAVE to give up some players, no matter what, even if its not gomez or gionta, it will have to be a few players who are making some decent money, and those grit, hard working players arent easily replaced.
THe isles improved, i feel, but not enough to come close to contending for a playoff spot
the pens certainly improved w/ adding malkin, but their D is a mess, they wont be any good.

and all around the league, the only teams in the east that really improved were teams that were more or less crappy last year...a-la boston.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 06:08 AM
Ola

inferno- I think a big factor also will be that allot of players have a year under their belt in NY, young players as well as veterans. I for example expect more offense from guys like Tyutin, Rozival, Betts, Ward and Hollweg. I am expecting Straka and Nylander to maybe cash in abit more on JJ's feeds.

At the same time I am afraid of just how much other teams in the league will improve. I defenitly belives that while we played really well last season, allot of teams played really bad. Some teams where just unbeliveably clueless how to adjust to the new rules. Whatever improvements we have done this summer, we are gooing to need them!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 06:12 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
You beat me to it, I am waiting for the EC prediction thread!!!

Though here is a hint, I see Ottawa as the clear nr. 1, after that I think Philly and Buffalo are looking good, with us behind them and maybe a few other teams, Tampa, Toronto (!) and Boston (!) maybe . Though I don't belive in NJD and Carolina this year. I wouldn't at all be suprised if NJD and Carolina find themselfs in tough competition of Montreal and maybe one of Atlanta or Pittsburg for the 8th spot...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 07:34 AM
shoothepuck

Predictions aside, NY did upgrade this off season, and they are going to need it. They will have to play harder and smarter than they did last season, and with one year of experience under the new rules, maybe they have learned not to throw away games due to dumb penalties and slow starts.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
I think it was confirmed that Henrik had an injury he was playing through in the Playoffs. He did SKIP the Sweden team during the summer to heal up...THANK YOU HENRIK

As for Jagr..I think he knows the team needed to be tweaked to get him what he REALLY WANTS. A genuine shot at the Cup

He made comments that he trusted Renny and Maloney to make the changes that needed to be made to help the team. He didn't name names, but is ANYONE not happy with the roster changes. Other than the guys who left that is...
I ment he didnt get hurt during the playoffs. I know he was playing through an injury,but the article states that he got hurt during the playoffs, that was my point. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I can understand how you can confuse what I ment.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote