HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT Martin's spousal support

Old
09-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Toro

vCash: 500
OT Martin's spousal support

here is the story

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...18488-sun.html

recently there was a thread about marriage. Here is a new one.

I believe in support but, my opinion(based on the facts i know) is this awarding is pretty hefty.. the part about saving becoming a way of life??

what will lawyers think of next? don't answer that, we don't need to help them

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 12:14 AM
Shabutie

Ridiculous, I bet this ***** married him and waited till he made it big so she could take 1/2 of him. This is why I'll never get married, or never earn millions.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 12:21 AM
znk

That's what prenups are for.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
That's what prenups are for.
did pre-nups exist 30 years ago? Either way, marriages are too expensive. You tell a woman you love her and that's that.

Old
09-10-2006, 12:49 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
did pre-nups exist 30 years ago? Either way, marriages are too expensive. You tell a woman you love her and that's that.
I agree. But if I had to marry for some reason..there would have to be a prenup.
Unless I was marying a potential movie superstar.

Old
09-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Habbadasher

I think she meant that saving was a way of life in their household. It mentions that Martin put a lot of money in a pension fund, so that is why "saving became a way of life", as it should be for the 1/2 of Canadians who do not have a company sponsored pension fund.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
I think she meant that saving was a way of life in their household. It mentions that Martin put a lot of money in a pension fund, so that is why "saving became a way of life", as it should be for the 1/2 of Canadians who do not have a company sponsored pension fund.
So now he has to pay her extra money cause she is used to saving???

im sorry it is silly..

A spouse should not get that kind of money a month

No matter what The money earning spouse makes...

seriously she will get 50 % of what they already have(which is a lot since they saved so much) why now should she get so much money per month after they divorce???

She can move on and have her own life, with a really good start(50% of assets)

Why does a spouse need money like that? Friggin leaches...

If i ever get stupid and marry again, it better be to someone who makes more than me .
That way i can just walk away if we get divorced. I don't want someone elses money.. I don't want a free paycheck every month from someone i once loved enough to marry

Friggin leaches

Old
09-10-2006, 02:03 AM
Le Maroons

Well, while I agree with it sounding like too much money (she should be able to make money herself), they were married for a long time and it was a way of life for her, and him, it really all comes down to the child. All you care about at this point is your child, if you don't then you should be paying even more! It's hard to judge situations like this, we don't know how it is, we aren't/weren't there!

Here are some options for us men:
-Don't get married
-Don't get divorced

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 02:14 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Recently on CKAC, they had story that went a bit like this.

- A bit before his best, Charlie Simmer met a Playboy model.
- 6 months later, he told Ron Fournier he was married.
- He hit it big.
- The next year, he told Ron Fournier he was no-longer married, had a baby and that the wife was going off with half his money.

Long story short, Charlie Simmer's pockets are still wiped clean to this day.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 02:28 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
Well, while I agree with it sounding like too much money (she should be able to make money herself), they were married for a long time and it was a way of life for her, and him, it really all comes down to the child. All you care about at this point is your child, if you don't then you should be paying even more! It's hard to judge situations like this, we don't know how it is, we aren't/weren't there!

Here are some options for us men:
-Don't get married
-Don't get divorced
there is a difference between Spousal support and Child Support.

I believe this story is talking about Spousal support not child support. Child Support is non negotiable. it is a % of your income until the child is finished school

Spousal support is a crock. Luckily my ex wife never went after spousal support. I pay child support dictated by the Law. Child support is a % of my income. the % is universal. same for everyone.

Old
09-10-2006, 08:40 AM
mcphee

There are so many sides to this issue. Sadly, these disputes often come down to the biase of a judge or skill of a lawyer rather than what's fair.

Isn't the premise of spousal support something like this : 2 people build a lifestyle. The majority of cases involve starting out with not so much and building assets and a more privileged way of life as time goes on. Since marriage,civil union, common law, whatever, involves teammwork and sacrifice, the asstes become joint. The partners choose that one of their careers take a backseat for the sake of childrearing, available $ for education, etc.

So then if one partner figures it's not working anymore, why should the other's standard of living be affected ? The years of sacrifice come with [and should] a price tag.

Having said that, I don't discount poster's personal experience. People get screwed all the time, I know people who have. I know people that stay in terrible relationships because they can't afford divorce.

For every celebrity being forced to pay a clothing budget of 20 G's a month, there's a poor wretch who worked their butt off to put some hotshot thru medical school only to have him run off with his secretary when the $ came pouring in.

Like I said in the beginning, wouldn't it be great if fairness was applied to every situation ? It isn't though.

Ms.McTeer might be a gold digger, she also might be someone who did without for a long time helping a guy pursue a dream. My point is that it's too easy to assume.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Ridiculous, I bet this ***** married him and waited till he made it big so she could take 1/2 of him. This is why I'll never get married, or never earn millions.
Yeah, she was married to him for 26 years on the off chance the guy might one day become a NHL coach and make millions.

She's TEH GENIOUS!

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
Yeah, she was married to him for 26 years on the off chance the guy might one day become a NHL coach and make millions.

She's TEH GENIOUS!
Exactly, she put in alot of years so she wouldnt be suspected.

Old
09-10-2006, 12:42 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
i dont think prenups help you if you make the money WHILE married, only money that was yours before is this yours after

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:04 PM
SerialSeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
There are so many sides to this issue. Sadly, these disputes often come down to the biase of a judge or skill of a lawyer rather than what's fair.

Isn't the premise of spousal support something like this : 2 people build a lifestyle. The majority of cases involve starting out with not so much and building assets and a more privileged way of life as time goes on. Since marriage,civil union, common law, whatever, involves teammwork and sacrifice, the asstes become joint. The partners choose that one of their careers take a backseat for the sake of childrearing, available $ for education, etc.

So then if one partner figures it's not working anymore, why should the other's standard of living be affected ? The years of sacrifice come with [and should] a price tag.

Having said that, I don't discount poster's personal experience. People get screwed all the time, I know people who have. I know people that stay in terrible relationships because they can't afford divorce.

For every celebrity being forced to pay a clothing budget of 20 G's a month, there's a poor wretch who worked their butt off to put some hotshot thru medical school only to have him run off with his secretary when the $ came pouring in.

Like I said in the beginning, wouldn't it be great if fairness was applied to every situation ? It isn't though.

Ms.McTeer might be a gold digger, she also might be someone who did without for a long time helping a guy pursue a dream. My point is that it's too easy to assume.

AHh MCphee Pulling through with sound wisdom.

Life is hard and pretty much everyone is out for themselves. Better be a good person and only surround yourself with people... that have more then you.

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 03:50 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
i dont think prenups help you if you make the money WHILE married, only money that was yours before is this yours after
You can agree to basicaly anything in a prenup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prenuptial_agreement

Old
09-10-2006, 06:32 PM
RC51

Lets get a few things out there.
It used to be the women took a huge hit when they got divorced.
To many guys were hideing money or simply would not pay.
The laws have changed now. It's a lot harder to get away with support. Added to all this is added power given to the women.
A vindictive women can just say her X has touched the child in the wrong way and the courts will assume it's true until proven wrong.
The guy will have to spend big time to prove his case.

Over all the problem is that Mr. Nice guy is cought between two very different worlds.
First, ask once and it's ok, ask twice and it could be harassment.
The men are still tought to pay for dinners, buy flowers, buy the diamond ring, and in some cases, the big wedding, the fur coat and the list keeps going on throughout the years.
Now comes the divorce, Yes she gets half but is she going to give back half of all the perks??? they will all be concidered gifts and too bad.
Just in case your cought thinking that its the guys cheating most of the time, better think again. This is 2006 not 1906. Stats say most will divorce, stats say 70% men will cheat, stats say 65% women cheat.
When your in love you NEVER think it will happen to you.

The women have fought hard for better rights and have come a long way. This is the right thing and anybody with a sister will agree.

But today, some adjustment in the man-women relationships needs to be done. It's not nearly as clear as it once was. It's all over the map. Depends on religion, depends on race, depends on nationality, depends on age, depends on upbringing, depends on status, depends on money, if fact I can't list all the "depends" parts.
As humans we are no longer pinned to one area anymore, we can fly to anywhere in the world so we can fall in love anywhere with anyone at anytime. But the world has not standerdized anything when it comes to laws or customs. As an example only, Marry someone from Iran and you had better read the fine print, and so on.

As long as your both in love, all of what I have written above is not for you, let the dung hit the fan and see just how fast you now want to read the fine print and what you got yourself into when you got married.

It's not at all that I am against getting married. I just think that soon, the "rules" between men and women should be updated so that everyone starts off on the same page.

The saying now is " any women has the right to say no"
This of course is the right way to think.

But I think the next saying should be " any man has the right to be asking NO TO WHAT" and not be answered " depends"

Last edited by RC51: 09-10-2006 at 06:40 PM.
RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 09:25 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
So now he has to pay her extra money cause she is used to saving???

im sorry it is silly..

A spouse should not get that kind of money a month

No matter what The money earning spouse makes...

seriously she will get 50 % of what they already have(which is a lot since they saved so much) why now should she get so much money per month after they divorce???

She can move on and have her own life, with a really good start(50% of assets)

Why does a spouse need money like that? Friggin leaches...

If i ever get stupid and marry again, it better be to someone who makes more than me .
That way i can just walk away if we get divorced. I don't want someone elses money.. I don't want a free paycheck every month from someone i once loved enough to marry

Friggin leaches
I worked for a divorce lawyer in California for three years as a legal assistant and I came to the conclusion that these laws are unjust as well. The fact that they are uniform is what makes them unfair. Each situation is different.

There is no way this woman should carry off 27 grand a month. Why? With the money she received from the settlement, she could have acquired skills by now to have created a new life for herself. I don't find standard of living to be acceptable criteria, considering the amount of the settlement she received. Yes, she helped him build his career at the expense of her own advancement and did the bulk of the parenting. And she was already paid for that. A LOT of money.

Now that women are getting closer in pay with men (women earn roughly 75% of what men make now, so a long ways to go still), the laws should start to reflect this change. To me, marriage does not mean you have to support someone the rest of your life. People are responsible for their own lives except in certain situations.

Obviously it's an ego thing. Either he dumped her or cheated on her or grew bored with her and she's mad and wants revenge. Otherwise, any decent person would walk away with what is fair.

Depends on what stage in life the divorce happens. If the women has acted as a housewife and helped support the husband's career at the expense of her own, then spousal support makes sense. Again, every situation is different imo.

But, to be sure, the larger problem is deadbeat dads. So many of those out there that refuse to contribute to their child's upbringing.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 09-11-2006 at 01:10 AM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 10:21 PM
Habbadasher

A few close friends of mine have gone through divorces, reasonable people quickly become unreasonable. Even though it has been years for each, none have fully recovered. It is in each of ours enlightened self interest to maximize our return in each and every situation.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:48 AM
boundless

Quote:
so you'd rather be poor and alone. great.

Quote:
Exactly, she put in alot of years so she wouldnt be suspected.
stop trolling and lay off the pipe, seriously.

boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
A few close friends of mine have gone through divorces, reasonable people quickly become unreasonable. Even though it has been years for each, none have fully recovered. It is in each of ours enlightened self interest to maximize our return in each and every situation.
Actually, reasonable people are often influenced by lawyers.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Gros Bill

Get a shovel and start digging, Jacques.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 11:41 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Get a shovel and start digging, Jacques.
It always comes down to a shovel doesn't it ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:10 PM
guapo23

I think a lot of you guys are very ignorant on this subject.

Do you have any idea of the kind of sacrifices that woman had to make for her husband to pursue his dream ?

She had to move 9 times to different cities !!
Far away from family & friends, contantly having to start over in a new city where she know no one.
Raising kids far away from their grandparents...

Having a relationship with a husband who is constantly on the road or at the rink, constantly under huge pressure ?

They were married for 26 years. She supported him through all the lean years, raised the kids during his long, slow climb to the top. So how can you call her a gold digger and compare her to women who divorce their husband after 1 year of marriage ?

quote form the article :
"In their 26-year marriage, she helped the former Ottawa Senators coach climb the ladder of success.
She also moved nine times in 13 years while Martin pursued and achieved his goal of becoming an NHL coach"

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:13 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
I think a lot of you guys are very ignorant on this subject.

Do you have any idea of the kind of sacrifices that woman had to make for her husband to pursue his dream ?

She had to move 13 times to different cities !!
Far away from family & friends, contantly having to start over in a new city where she know no one. Raising kids far away from their grandparents...

Having a relationship with a husband who is constantly on the road or at the rink, constantly under huge pressure ?

They were married for 26 years. She supported him through all the lean years, raised the kids during his long, slow climb to the top. So how can you call her a gold digger and compare her to women who divorce their husband after 1 year of marriage ?

In their 26-year marriage, she helped the former Ottawa Senators coach climb the ladder of success.

She also moved nine times in 13 years while Martin pursued and achieved his goal of becoming an NHL coach, court heard
Yes...she had amazing game plans.

I'm sorry but I dont see why anyone should get 27G's a month. Why not 4?