Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

When is Irbe going back?

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2003, 08:29 AM
Calgary_Moe

vCash: 500
When is Irbe going back?

He's been doing great in Johnstown.... now, when will he be dealt and return to the NHL? thoughts...?

Old
11-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Holly Gunning

With the overabundance of goaltenders in the market right now, I highly doubt Irbe will be back soon if ever. He may be in Johnstown all year.

Old
11-17-2003, 12:10 PM
Quellet The Dogs Out

I agree with Holly on this one, I doubt Irbe ever sees NHL ice again.

I saw him play about a week ago in Trenton against the Titans, he looked awesome. Irbe shutout the Titans, and he was just un-solveable.

We'll see what happens though, I wish him the best, that is for sure. I had a nice chat with Johnstown's coach about him and he said that he is the utmost class act and he is one of the nicest guys he's ever had the pleasure of coaching.

Stories like this make me appreciate his love for the game, and not necessarily his love for the almighty dollar.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:05 AM
BIG FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellet The Dogs Out
I agree with Holly on this one, I doubt Irbe ever sees NHL ice again.

I saw him play about a week ago in Trenton against the Titans, he looked awesome. Irbe shutout the Titans, and he was just un-solveable.

We'll see what happens though, I wish him the best, that is for sure. I had a nice chat with Johnstown's coach about him and he said that he is the utmost class act and he is one of the nicest guys he's ever had the pleasure of coaching.

Stories like this make me appreciate his love for the game, and not necessarily his love for the almighty dollar.
The only reason why he's playing is because of the almighty dollar. He's getting paid $5 million this year to play in the ECHL. If he quit the Carolina organization, he gets nothing.

Old
11-19-2003, 09:13 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG FAN
The only reason why he's playing is because of the almighty dollar. He's getting paid $5 million this year to play in the ECHL. If he quit the Carolina organization, he gets nothing.
Exactly. The ONLY reason Irbe isn't on an AHL team or even an NHL team right now is because he won't take a pay cut to play at either level. He'd rather sit there and wait out that contract, meanwhile JR tries to demean him by sending him to the ECHL and not even this works. He just plays there and continues to cash that big fat check.

The last thing Arturs Irbe is playing for is the love of the game.

Old
11-23-2003, 05:24 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
I love Irbe. All time favroite player. See my avatar. He made amazing things happen in San Jose. 93-94 playoffs wow!

I wish there was a ECHL team in Wisconsin where I could see Irbe live. I saw him live really little witht he Kansas City Blades were in town. Back in the IHL days.

Old
11-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Exactly. The ONLY reason Irbe isn't on an AHL team or even an NHL team right now is because he won't take a pay cut to play at either level. He'd rather sit there and wait out that contract, meanwhile JR tries to demean him by sending him to the ECHL and not even this works. He just plays there and continues to cash that big fat check.

The last thing Arturs Irbe is playing for is the love of the game.
I disagree with that. Carolina management is trying to bully him into taking a pay cut. They're trying everything: sending him down, not letting him come to training camp, and so far, it's not working.

I think it's great that he's having fun playing in the ECHL. It's great to see he won't let Rutherford bully him into a buy-out. I'm sure this guy could do well with another organization as a back-up or even starter. He's a great goalie, and I'd love to see him play in the NHL once again.

Old
12-20-2003, 01:28 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Actually, Jim Rutherford has said he won't buy out Arturs Irbe. He's in the ECHL until he chooses to walk away from the Carolina Hurricanes organization (or as Rutherford puts it, "works out a trade"...yeah right...)

Closed Thread