Notices

Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

My Defence, by Ashley Cole

Old
09-11-2006, 02:36 PM
les Habs

vCash: 1300
My Defence, by Ashley Cole

I thought I'd post this here. Makes for an interesting read if anything and I thought it'd spark some discussion.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...2554_1,00.html

The Times September 11, 2006

Betrayed by Club I loved
By Ashley Cole

In the first of a three-part serialisation of the most sensational sports book of the year, the England defender reveals how a broken promise and one phone call led to his bitter exit from Arsenal

MY HEART AND SOUL WAS TIED TO Arsenal with a fisherman’s knot. I don’t think even Houdini could have unravelled it. Not for one minute did I see myself leaving. There was only ever one club in England, let alone London, and that was the Arsenal. That was before the 2004–05 season. That was before something precious was smashed into tiny pieces.

It all started while I was sitting in the sunshine at Sopwell House, the hotel in Hertfordshire used by England before we flew out to Portugal for Euro 2004, when an eager voice called out, “Ashley!” Mr Dein was stood there. He told me I wasn’t earning enough and my salary was going to be increased. My face- cracking smile told him all he needed to know. I was buzzing, really buzzing. His tone soon wiped the smile from my face. I felt his attitude suggested he was doing me a favour, like I was a 17-year-old trainee.

The deal he offered was a 10,000-a-week increase to 35,000. A hell of a lot of money. But, when taken in the context of football wages and his own estimated value of me of 20 million, and when placed next to those other Arsenal wages of between 80,000 and 100,000 a week, his offer was a ****-take. It was a slap in the face, not a pat on the back.

EVEN DAVID DEIN CAN AFFORD IT!

Last edited by Rick Middleton: 09-12-2006 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Copyright infringement
les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Gwyddbwyll

vCash: 500
I nearly swerved off the road!!!

They only offered me 55,000 a week!!! I wanted 60,000!!!

God he sounds such a **** there.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 02:43 PM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
EVEN DAVID DEIN CAN AFFORD IT!
Best line in the entire article.

Can't believe they were holding out for 5,000 quid on the player.

Old
09-11-2006, 02:44 PM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
I nearly swerved off the road!!!

They only offered me 55,000 a week!!! I wanted 60,000!!!

God he sounds such a **** there.
Says Dein verbally agreed to 60, then they tried to short change him by 5,000. That's ridiculous. Take this into account after what they initially offered him.

Old
09-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Evilo

Quote:
MY WORST FEARS WERE CONFIRMED when, as Thierry (Henry) and I sat in the centre circle after the final whistle, his name was sung from the rooftops while my contribution was recognised by a deafening silence. As his chants faded away we waited for mine. And we waited. And there was nothing. “They’re not bothered about me,” I said, resigned to the fact. It was like I was the invisible man.
That guy is suck an egomaniac, it's incredible.
How on earth can he think he deserves the same treatment as Thierry Henry???

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 02:57 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
If there were a vomit smiley face, I would use it right here.

How dare he try to portray himself as the victim? I would love to go through the hardship of making 55,000 pounds per week and at the time that deal was offered, he had had about two good seasons for us, so it wasn't like he was an established veteran.

Also, maybe we all love Thierry because he didn't try to cut a deal with our biggest rivals behind our backs and we know that his heart is with the club.

Ashley Cole shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph as Thierry Henry. We all know that Arsenal have had their shady dealings in the past, but they treated Cole really well and what he's given them in return is really despicable in my opinion.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 03:07 PM
les Habs

Assuming he's telling the truth, they did dick him around on the contract. I don't get all of his moaning, but if they were holding out on him for 5,000 quid then I have to give him that much. He could easily get more from any number of clubs. That's also not to mention the derisory offer they initially gave him.

Old
09-11-2006, 04:19 PM
The Rage

Going back on an offer is very under-handed and disrepecting. Cole's other complaints are much weaker. Henry got more cheers? Suck it up Ashley, Terry and Lampard are going to be the ones getting more cheers than you from now on.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Hensta

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
Cole's other complaints are much weaker. Henry got more cheers? Suck it up Ashley, Terry and Lampard are going to be the ones getting more cheers than you from now on.
Thats sou True! I wont miss you Ashley! Comoon Gallas #10

Hensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Is 5000 pounds a week a lot of money considering it's over the course of a season?

Ironchef Chris Wok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Epsilon will probably love this, considering that he likened the Premier League to the WWF. I really like Ashley Cole as a player, but some of his comments make him sound ridiculous and spoiled. That said, if Cole and Arsenal made a verbal agreement, Arsenal should have respected it and their player. I would have been upset too, but I probably wouldn't have phrased it the way he did.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

How dare he try to portray himself as the victim? I would love to go through the hardship of making 55,000 pounds per week and at the time that deal was offered, he had had about two good seasons for us, so it wasn't like he was an established veteran.

Also, maybe we all love Thierry because he didn't try to cut a deal with our biggest rivals behind our backs and we know that his heart is with the club.

Ashley Cole shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph as Thierry Henry. We all know that Arsenal have had their shady dealings in the past, but they treated Cole really well and what he's given them in return is really despicable in my opinion.

55,000 pounds per week...$90,000 USD/week?!?!?!?!

You have to be a real spoiled brat to not thank anyone and anything in the world for making that kind of money.

What an *******.

Christ, I'd take $90,000/year and be very, very happy.

Last edited by Transported Upstater: 09-11-2006 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Gatzos, Steve
Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Christ, I'd take $90,000/year and be very, very happy.
Of course you would, but it is all about market value though, and I can understand his argument to an extent (especially if Dein had agreed to it, verbally). Everybody wants to be paid what they are worth, and Ashley Cole probably deserved to be paid 60,000 quid/week.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 07:53 PM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Of course you would, but it is all about market value though, and I can understand his argument to an extent (especially if Dein had agreed to it, verbally). Everybody wants to be paid what they are worth, and Ashley Cole probably deserved to be paid 60,000 quid/week.
Exactly. Everybody who's claiming he was greedy would have done the same thing in his situation. The club dicked him around with their first offer and his demand of 60,000 quid was reasonable. He's one of the 2-3 best LB's in the World and injuries aside was one of Arsenal's most important players. Considering what others on that team are probably making he was right to be pissed. Add to that how they bent over for Henry after they tried to dick him around.

Old
09-11-2006, 08:47 PM
big boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

Henry top 3 players in the world, Ashley top 3 LBs. It hurts me what a knob he's become. I used to love the guy. What a disgrace.

big boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 08:57 PM
big boi

Quote:
He's one of the 2-3 best LB's in the World and injuries aside was one of Arsenal's most important players. Considering what others on that team are probably making he was right to be pissed. Add to that how they bent over for Henry after they tried to dick him around.

True...but he had just very recently (2004/2005) become one of the best LB's in the world...from a very good, but quite green player that Arsenal, and arsene developed. I can understand a 28 year old guy demanding 60,000 a week, but this guy was 23/24 when he met Chelsea behind Arsenal's back. Plus Arsenal simply do not pay the kind of money Chelsea pay. 55,000 pound per week, for a left back, at arsenal, is a huge sum, and well in line with the other stars at the club...my guess is he would have been the 2nd highest paid player, under 30 on the team..behind Thierry.

Finally, there is no comparison between Ashley Cole, and the best player to ever play in the premiership, and the best player to ever put on an arsenal shirt. I fully agree with flyhigh...as an arsenal fan, and a fan who loved ashley, I don't even want to see his name in the same sentence. Thierry belongs up there (and beyond) with Adams, Wright, Bergkamp..god even Pires had twice the Arsenal career.

Old
09-11-2006, 09:21 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by big boi View Post
True...but he had just very recently (2004/2005) become one of the best LB's in the world...from a very good, but quite green player that Arsenal, and arsene developed. I can understand a 28 year old guy demanding 60,000 a week, but this guy was 23/24 when he met Chelsea behind Arsenal's back. Plus Arsenal simply do not pay the kind of money Chelsea pay. 55,000 pound per week, for a left back, at arsenal, is a huge sum, and well in line with the other stars at the club...my guess is he would have been the 2nd highest paid player, under 30 on the team..behind Thierry.
It doesn't matter whether 55,000 was fair or not; the fact is that 35,000 is completely out of whack and if Dein truly went back on his word, then he's the one to be blamed.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Quote:
It doesn't matter whether 55,000 was fair or not; the fact is that 35,000 is completely out of whack and if Dein truly went back on his word, then he's the one to be blamed.
Ah that's right his **** smells like roses now that he's a chelsea player, he can do no wrong. He's a greedy ****, and what's to say the whole verbal agreement thing is simply an exaggerated copout to try and save face. It's amazing, now that Gallas doesn't wear your shirt it's all his fault and Chelsea (who handled his case FAR worse than Arsenal handled Cole's case) can do no wrong. But now Ca$hley is wearing your shirt it's hardly his fault and it MUST have been his club.

No matter the actions of Arsenal, HE WENT AND ILLEGALLY MET WITH CHELSEA OFFICIALS, ON THE EVE OF A MATCH AGAINST THEM NO LESS. Get that through your heads. Whatever his motivations or reasons, he GOT CAUGHT WITH HIS PANTS DOWN, and is trying to assume to role of victim. Aw, we're sorry you had to turn down that weekly salary ashley. He's a greedy, slimy SOB and quite frankly he and Chelsea deserve each other, he'll fit in well with that mess.

Rage you amaze me. You're ready to tar and feather Gallas for acting unprofessionally and you make excuses for Cole now that he's committed arguably a far worse betrayal.

The other thing that amazes me is I read a quote somewhere saying he hopes to hear the Arsenal fans chanting his name upon his return. Oh, they'll be chanting your name alright Ashley.....

And as an aside, don't even bother using my hatred of Chelsea as an excuse to pass off these comments as irrational. I am a tottenham fan and it pains me moreso to have to defend Arsenal than it would ever pain me to defend Chelsea.

I am reposting this from the Gallas thread, I found it quite amusing.

Quote:
MAKING STRIDES IN THE FIGHT AGAINST POVERTY

According to the charity Action Aid, everyone has the fundamental right to be free from hunger and to have access to safe and nutritious food. Nevertheless, they reveal, 800m people still go to bed hungry every night, despite the fact that there is enough food in the world to feed everyone, including Uefa president Lennart Johansson. To illustrate their point, they should cite the case of young Cashley, a Londoner who, as a child growing up in the impoverished village of Arsenal, was often asked to work for up to three hours each day for as little as 55,000 per week. And what's more, unlike his fellow slum-dweller Thierry, who was a much more productive worker, Cashley didn't even get any dinner.

"The club [Arsenal] made Thierry feel wanted and special, wooing him, wining and dining him, speaking in public about how much they wanted him to stay," moans Cashley in the lengthy whinge that is his new autobiography, My Defence: Whining, Losing, Scandals and the Drama of Germany 2006. "But me? I didn't have one dinner, one meeting or one phone call from anyone." And as the Fiver pictured a sad, malnourished Cashley with tears rolling past the flies in his cheeks before falling on to his swollen belly, the new Chelsea full-back continued detailing the hardships he was forced to endure under the cruel Wenger regime.

"My worst fears were confirmed when, as Thierry and I sat in the centre-circle after the final whistle, his name was sung from the rooftops while my contribution was recognised by a deafening silence. As his chants faded away we waited for mine. And we waited. And there was nothing. 'They're not bothered about me', I said, resigned to the fact. It was like I was the invisible man." But at least the board must have appreciated Cashley? Even if they did offer him a paltry 55,000 per week instead of the 60,000 they'd promised? "I don't believe the board gave a damn about keeping me," Ashley counters. "It preferred to haggle over a difference of 5,000." In tomorrow's extract: a Blue Cross lorry rumbles into the village and earns our hero's trust with a handful of rice from one of the big sacks on the back, and Arsenal's fans make up for previous shortcomings by chanting at Cashley upon his return with Chels ... actually that bit hasn't happened. Yet

Osstrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 12:11 AM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by big boi View Post
IMO, and I hate Ashley Cole, he was a top LB before 04/05. He replaced Sylvinho ages ago and was a fixture in England's 2002 WC squad at LB. Also, his age has nothing to do with it. Injuries aside, I'd say he proved himself for enough time to ask for that sort of dosh.

As for meeting Chelsea, I'm not condoning that. Still you have to consider timeline here. If he met them after they only offered him 55, then it has nothing to do with their derisory offers. If they could afford to pay him 55, then they could have afforeed 60. That's it. He made it clear he wants to stay and isn't demanding what he could get elsewhere, so pay the man. If 55 is in line with other stars at the club, then pay him the 60. He's better than how many of the other players anyway. Besides, how much are these other guys making? Cesc? Didn't he just get a pay rise? Gallas? He's costing a pretty penny. Hell, look at what they were paying Sol Campbell.

Quote:
Finally, there is no comparison between Ashley Cole, and the best player to ever play in the premiership, and the best player to ever put on an arsenal shirt. I fully agree with flyhigh...as an arsenal fan, and a fan who loved ashley, I don't even want to see his name in the same sentence. Thierry belongs up there (and beyond) with Adams, Wright, Bergkamp..god even Pires had twice the Arsenal career.
There's no comparison in some senses, but you have to consider it from the players standpoint. I can understand Henry being the big man on the team, but Cole is no slouch. He's pretty much the last English player around the club and despite everyone's claims about other players, he actually spent some time in the youth ranks and can actually be considered an Arsenal youth product. Anyway, pretty stupid quibbling with a player like him over 5,000 quid. If this whole contract business happened BEFORE the tapping up, then they didn't do it right.

Cole, had he stayed and this whole tapping up affair never happened, would have been up there in Arsenal folklore. He'd be a mainstay for another 5 years and was a big part of their recent (last 5-6 years) success.

Old
09-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Garbage. Why is the club petty for quibbling over 5 quid, and not Cole petty? 60quid a week is 3.12 million per year. 55 per week is 2.86. That's a 260K difference per year. Big friggin deal, I'm sure that really would have dropped into poverty. It sounds to me like he was a tight git. 90% of people in negotiations set a price but also give an allowance they are willing to make. In other words, I'm happy with anywhere between 55 and 60K per week, but I will request the highest amount. Provided the figure that comes back is within your price range you accept.

I can't believe what an ego-maniacal little moaner he comes off as in this whole ordeal. Tell me how many other left backs in the prem make more than 55K per week. He doesn't get paid on Henry terms because he does not play a position that allows him to contirbute nearly as much as Henry has in his time at arse. How anyone can side with him in this whole scenario is beyond me.

From a chelsea fan on another board:
Quote:
So you're telling me we gave up cash AND Gallas for this whiny little *****?

Osstrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 11:18 AM
KlausJopling

The door opened and Mourinho walked in...

The second part is now available.

KlausJopling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 12:10 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
The door opened and Mourinho walked in...

The second part is now available.
Can't wait for tomorrow's...

I think that Cole might have become the most unpopular footballer in England and it's his own fault too.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 01:16 PM
big boi

Quote:

True. The only area where Cole seems to have a legitimate complaint is if he did in fact have a verbal agreement for 60k per week, only to have DD reneg and offer a max of 55k.

I'm not sure 35k was so far out of wack at arsenal, but you're right its certainly out of wack as far as his market value over the last couple of years.

Wasn't Gallas making close to 35k not so long ago? I know he signed it, and nobody put a gun to his head, but for a veteran star, at Chelsea...that's pretty low.

Old
09-12-2006, 02:16 PM
big boi

Quote:
IMO, and I hate Ashley Cole, he was a top LB before 04/05. He replaced Sylvinho ages ago and was a fixture in England's 2002 WC squad at LB. Also, his age has nothing to do with it. Injuries aside, I'd say he proved himself for enough time to ask for that sort of dosh.
He was a really good youngster in 2002. 60k for a 23 year old LB is a lot of money

Quote:
Besides, how much are these other guys making? Cesc? Didn't he just get a pay rise? Gallas? He's costing a pretty penny. Hell, look at what they were paying Sol Campbell.
Sol campbell came on a free transfer. Very different situation. He was a dominant CB, a more pivotal position, and the money spent was well worth it given we didn't have to spend a penny out of the transfer kitty.

I will say it again... 55k or 60k is a lot of money for a 23 year old LB...on any club. I have not seen Cesc new contract, but I would sincerely doubt it is for as much as 60k. He's younger, but he also plays a vital role at centre mid. He also might develop in to one of the top few players in the world, let alone top few LB's.

Quote:
Anyway, pretty stupid quibbling with a player like him over 5,000 quid. If this whole contract business happened BEFORE the tapping up, then they didn't do it right.
Agree to some extent... but I don't know the exact time lines either...and I'm damned if I'll spend any more time reading about the ashley saga (after spending all summer obsessing about it)

Quote:
Cole, had he stayed and this whole tapping up affair never happened, would have been up there in Arsenal folklore. He'd be a mainstay for another 5 years and was a big part of their recent (last 5-6 years) success.
Agree again to some extent...but as good as any LB, or RB is.... they just do not have as much impact as a CM, striker, or CB.

I would not have thought Ashley would have had the impact Vieira, Pires, Henry, Bergkamp, adams, wright etc had

Also...what do you pay Toure after? We don't have Chelsea money... we have to keep costs, and player salaries in line. Toure was our most important defender IMO, and I could not see paying Cole vastly more than him. Hell if Ebouie keeps progressing at the current rate, he'd be wanting cole money too.

Old
09-12-2006, 04:41 PM
pstain

The 5000 quid was meant for his agent. Arsenal wanted Cole to pay him out of his own pocket. Cole wanted Arsenal to give that extra 5000 to his agent. So therefore, Ashley Cole=****.

pstain is offline   Reply With Quote