HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rookie Tournament Soccer Nets Question

Old
09-09-2006, 10:31 PM
24Cups

vCash: 500
Rookie Tournament Soccer Nets Question

Does anyone know who is responsible for the decision to use soccer nets in this tournament? This reeks of Bettman, but I can't see his slime trail anywhere on this. If it was the decision of anyone from an Original 6 braintrust like Montreal or Toronto, I'll be extremely disappointed. This is one of the more sillier rule proposals that was discussed prior to last year and should have died a quick death.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Talent Analyst

That sooo stupid IMO .. What will do rookie after it ? miss the net ???

Goalie will be ****ed after it ..

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Does anyone know who is responsible for the decision to use soccer nets in this tournament? This reeks of Bettman, but I can't see his slime trail anywhere on this. If it was the decision of anyone from an Original 6 braintrust like Montreal or Toronto, I'll be extremely disappointed. This is one of the more sillier rule proposals that was discussed prior to last year and should have died a quick death.
As a goalie, i hate it. As a hockey fan i hate it. i don't know how much more silly ideas i can take.

The changes they made last year (goalie equip. No center line etc) are good, lets not get stupid now

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

1 thing is for sure is that if the nets stay that big, alot of records will fall

Also did could help the Habs,we always miss the net by a few inches and it will really help Souray!!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 12:38 AM
Toro

When i watch games pre-strike. for instance recently i watched the habs game 5 win over calgary and today parts of 1980's miracle on ice, game between USA and USSR. In these games ifyou wanted to go to the net you paid a price. Now you can go there for free. It really changed the game(the new rules).

If they change the nets, im not sure i will still call it hockey

I might just get right turned off...

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I might just get right turned off...

I doubt that,if you cam back from the lockout,it's not a few inche's that are gonna make you turn away from hockey

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 07:02 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
I don't think Bettman gives much of a hoot about a rookie tourney, nor does he have any real input into rule changes. There's a committee for that now, right? Probably Gainey is in on the move.

Personally, I don't have a real problem with the bigger nets. That's a much better way of generating extra offense than calling dubious penalty after dubious penalty, IMO, it doesn't hurt the flow of the game. Goalies can complain, but they'll learn to adjust. Desjardins sure wasn't hurt by it yesterday, for example.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 08:03 AM
sheed36

How much bigger are these new nets compared to the old 4 X 6 nets?

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 09:04 AM
HabsoluteFate

I don't mind the bigger nets but I don't like the fact that they are testing it in this rookie tournament because then you can't really get a real feel for people's performances...i hope they dont continue testing them in the main training camp...
if they are going to test it then test it in AHL pre season or QMJHL or wherever....

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
How much bigger are these new nets compared to the old 4 X 6 nets?
I've heard two different versions...

4 inches higher + 6 inches wider
and
6 inches higher + 8 inches wider

Old
09-10-2006, 06:14 PM
sj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't think Bettman gives much of a hoot about a rookie tourney, nor does he have any real input into rule changes. There's a committee for that now, right? Probably Gainey is in on the move.

Personally, I don't have a real problem with the bigger nets. That's a much better way of generating extra offense than calling dubious penalty after dubious penalty, IMO, it doesn't hurt the flow of the game. Goalies can complain, but they'll learn to adjust. Desjardins sure wasn't hurt by it yesterday, for example.
Bigger nets don't generate offense, they generate goals. (In other words, they don't create more offensive rushes or speed up the game or improve the flow. All they do is improve shooting pctg.)

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
Bigger nets don't generate offense, they generate goals. (In other words, they don't create more offensive rushes or speed up the game or improve the flow. All they do is improve shooting pctg.)
Good enough. Goals is all they want anyway. This is a better way of generating more goals while still keeping hockey entertaining than by going the excessive Power Play Parade route, IMO. I'm officially on the Big Net Bandwagon!

Old
09-10-2006, 08:09 PM
sj

Quote:
Good enough. Goals is all they want anyway. This is a better way of generating more goals while still keeping hockey entertaining than by going the excessive Power Play Parade route, IMO. I'm officially on the Big Net Bandwagon!
What makes you think they won't call just as many penalties with the bigger nets?

My understanding, and perhaps I'm wrong, is that the rules were changed to create more flow and scoring opportunities, not just more goals. If they stop calling all the holding, hooking and interference we'd have more goals with the bigger nets but we'd return to playing most of each game in the neutral zones between the bluelines. That doesn't sound very entertaining.

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Rand

Quote:
That's a much better way of generating extra offense than calling dubious penalty after dubious penalty, IMO, it doesn't hurt the flow of the game. Goalies can complain, but they'll learn to adjust. Desjardins sure wasn't hurt by it yesterday, for example.
I don't think the amount of scoring was the issue so much as the amount of genuinely exciting scoring opportunities. Allowing a bunch more mostly marginal goals in isn't going to have much of any impact IMO.

09-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
What makes you think they won't call just as many penalties with the bigger nets?
I was expecting that one.
Quote:
My understanding, and perhaps I'm wrong, is that the rules were changed to create more flow and scoring opportunities, not just more goals. If they stop calling all the holding, hooking and interference we'd have more goals with the bigger nets but we'd return to playing most of each game in the neutral zones between the bluelines. That doesn't sound very entertaining.
I didn't really have a huge huge problem with the hooking and holding vis-a-vis the entertainment value of the games. At least, it wasn't as bad as the current PP-fests. It's an old argument, though. Presumably at some point the PP-fest will start to fade as the players learn. Presumably.

But as you say, it's not either/or, bigger nets won't automatically put an end to the PP-fest entirely. *If* I had to take one or the other, I'd take the bigger nets and the rodeo rules. But that's not the choice that's on the table.

So, given that it wouldn't work like that, hopefully the bigger nets would nevertheless give the league some chance to ease off on the penalty calls when a good-enough state on cleaning up the game is reached. IMO roughly 30% of the calls these days are just too phantom-y to even be considered a part of the clean-up and instead go too far to the unproductive side of taking the flow, intensity, and physicality out of the game. The only argument for those extra 30% of calls is to bring scoring up. I'd rather have the bigger nets for that, while keeping the true heart of the clean-up calls around, so we get the best of everybody's world... better flow, keep some hitting in the game, fewer PPs, but still more goals.

Not that I care about more goals myself. But I think the league actually does. True fans care more about the flow and intensity, regardless of the score. But the NHL has already tapped out it's market of true fans. To attract new ones, they think they need the razzle dazzle of the red lights going off and the light shows and music rocking the arenas, so goals alone is going to be part of the agenda. If they're going to take that approach (and IMO they will), then I'd rather have bigger nets than keeping the PP frequency artificially high as the way for them to do it.

Old
09-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Alter Haudegen

It's horrible.

Alter Haudegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Haudegen View Post
It's horrible.
Well, that pic is cool, no doubt, but it's also a bit misleading if you just go by that. Desjardins is in a super-mini crouch, and you could put him in a regular sized net and it would still look a bit funny. But when the goalies are standing normally, the nets don't actually look all that outrageous.

The first day of the rookie tourney, not a single person I spoke to all game noticed there was anything different about the nets. You don't really think to look at them closely, it's kind of ingrained in your mind that the nets are the nets and they don't change, but still, it's not as big a deal from a fan's perspective as that cool picture makes it seem.

Anyway, now I've read today that I agree with Al Strachan on something. What is the world coming to??!?!

Old
09-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Habs4Lyfe
Twitter: @AJGandhi33

Quote:
I've heard two different versions...

4 inches higher + 6 inches wider
and
6 inches higher + 8 inches wider

It's actually the latter...6 inches higher and 8 inches wider

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
That sooo stupid IMO .. What will do rookie after it ? miss the net ???

Goalie will be ****ed after it ..
I'm not trying to be rude, but I have no clue what you just said lol

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Drive425

I don't think they made that big a difference. Price looked less then ordinary Friday night and Desjardin looked solid. The nets are big and the idea to make them bigger is ludicrous however everyone is at the same disadvantage.

Now if you want to discuss referees...Friday night was a disgusting display of amateur referees and how they can destroy the flow of the game...and I'm saying at both ends of the ice...way too many penalties. Saturday was almost as bad.

Anyways, all in all got to see some of the future of the habs. Not bad...

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 02:26 PM
AD

Quote:
give me a 0-0 games with exciting rushes and flow any day over a 5-2 snoozefest because some inacurate defenseman can now actually hit the net.

What the league should be focusing on is generating more shots and scoring chances... not more goals.

The bigger the net, the more the coaches will focus on tight checking man to man coverage to minimize shots. That will result in more hooking and clutching and grabbing.. less flow.. more penalties...

So I'd jump off that bandwagon BG.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
So I'd jump off that bandwagon BG.
No chance, I'm perma-sold on the big nets.

Old
09-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Montrealer

Unless we go back to the original rules of the 1917 NHL, I've got no problem with testing different ideas; it's not like this hasn't happened every few years for the past 90 years.

I'm guessing some people hated getting rid of the rover position, too.

Another note (which I've made in other threads): The NHL is unique in that it's the sole professional sport that's down to a hardcore fan base with barely any fringe fans... so they can make essentially minor modifications to increase appeal to new fans without permanently alienating that fan base.

I know, I know.. some will claim they'll stop watching hockey if things like these nets end up in the real game. The problem is, it's a hollow threat - except for the dozen or so guys across North America that would follow through simply to make a point, the hardcore fan base will still watch and will adjust... same as when the shootout came in. We had literally dozens of HFBoarders saying they'd stop watching hockey if the shootout were adopted, and guess what happened?

They're still here. And that's the point.

So let's see some more testing... maybe do an entire AHL preseason or something with these nets, and let's look at the results and then judge them. Why knee-jerk react over something so innocuous? It's not like the net's being replaced by a fishing hole or something that the goalie can fall into... and it's not like the net's dimensions were handed down via Moses from God herself.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote