HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did lakings.com forget already?

Old
09-11-2006, 07:13 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

vCash: 500
Did lakings.com forget already?

It's the 5 year anniversary of the day when two members of the Kings' "family" perished in the terrorist attacks.

ESPN has a story about Ace Bailey....

Helene Elliot wrote a column about Mark Bavis' family in the aftermath of the tragedy....

lakings.com can't come up with anything? Not even switching out the stupid "Kings Rule" slogan with a photo of the memorial patch or something, ANYTHING....

...just for the day?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Osprey

There's hardly anyone left in the organization who knew the men. I don't think that it's that unusual or egregious. The dirty little secret (that few people ever admit) about honoring the deceased is that it's much more for the healing of those who are still alive than anything for the deceased, themselves. If nearly everyone in the Kings organization is new (or, at least, newer than 5 years), then why would any healing be necessary?

Perhaps you may say that it's a matter of respect, but why should people new to the organization feel compelled to make what could be a hollow gesture to guys that they never knew, a whole 5 years after the fact? Also, when do you stop with the public memorials if it's not about the healing? If you do it at 5 years, then it seems to me that you need to do it after 10, 15, 20 years and so on, as well. A complete organizational overhaul after a whole 5 years seems to me to be as good a time as any to relegate a once public memorial to a private, personal one. If you're still healing, then you don't need reminding and you're free to honor them in any way that you choose... but, at this point, it shouldn't be expected that everyone be in the same boat, since everyone deals with things at their own pace and in their own way. That's my 2c.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
There's hardly anyone left in the organization who knew the men. I don't think that it's that unusual or egregious. The dirty little secret (that few people ever admit) about honoring the deceased is that it's much more for the healing of those who are still alive than anything for the deceased, themselves. If nearly everyone in the Kings organization is new (or, at least, newer than 5 years), then why would any healing be necessary?

Perhaps you may say that it's a matter of respect, but why should people new to the organization feel compelled to make what could be a hollow gesture to guys that they never knew, a whole 5 years after the fact? Also, when do you stop with the public memorials if it's not about the healing? If you do it at 5 years, then it seems to me that you need to do it after 10, 15, 20 years and so on, as well. A complete organizational overhaul after a whole 5 years seems to me to be as good a time as any to relegate a once public memorial to a private, personal one. If you're still healing, then you don't need reminding and you're free to honor them in any way that you choose... but, at this point, it shouldn't be expected that everyone be in the same boat, since everyone deals with things at their own pace and in their own way. That's my 2c.
Maybe because the website isn't for the organization, it's for the fans.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:21 PM
kingsfan77

well said reaper

kingsfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:24 PM
jurtur

I am new Kings fan , what happend 5 years ago ?

jurtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:37 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Osprey, I appreciate your 2 cents.

I'm not looking for healing, personal or organizational.

I'm looking for Kings management to embrace the history of this franchise. Based on the stories carried by ESPN, the LA Times, and nhl.com last year, the plight of Bavis and Bailey affected more than just the fans in Los Angeles. I wasn't looking for erection of a golden shrine to the fallen - just an acknowledgment of their existence. A simple logo on one of the main pages would have sufficed, but apparently it might have conflicted with that riveting September prospect report.

Old
09-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Maybe because the website isn't for the organization, it's for the fans.
That's debatable, though. I would argue that it's for the organization to promote itself. It's sites like HFboards and LGK that are for the fans. Regardless, though, I'll agree that you have a point, but I don't see just why fans would expect it, considering the organizational overhaul and the time that has elapsed. If the mass media weren't such ****** for big stories and ratings, I doubt that you'd see nearly as much attention being given to today.

PSP, I can respect that. Thanks. A logo might've been nice, but I'm not going to criticize the organization (of mostly new guys) for not doing anything; that's mostly what I was getting at.

Last edited by Osprey: 09-11-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old
09-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
It's the 5 year anniversary of the day when two members of the Kings' "family" perished in the terrorist attacks.

ESPN has a story about Ace Bailey....

Helene Elliot wrote a column about Mark Bavis' family in the aftermath of the tragedy....

lakings.com can't come up with anything? Not even switching out the stupid "Kings Rule" slogan with a photo of the memorial patch or something, ANYTHING....

...just for the day?
I was just now looking for the same thing online. Shame on the Kings or the LA Times for not even noting this.

That story about Ace Bailey is a great read.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:46 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurtur View Post
I am new Kings fan , what happend 5 years ago ?
Two LA Kings scouts, Ace Bailey and Mark Bavis, were on United Flight 175 that was hijacked and crashed into the World Trade Center. They were flying from Boston to LA for the opening of training camp.

Here's a story from ESPN.com on Bailey.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=2574764

This is the patch they wore on their uniforms that season to remember Ace and Mark.
http://www.rivercitysports.com/final...0A%26M%20Patch

I agree with PSP, I still think it's pretty disrespectful for the Kings to not change at least one of the pictures on their site that rotate to something honoring Ace and Mark. They still have the stickers on the back of their helmets for the two of them, but now I wonder if the new regime will take those off as well. NHL.com put up an article.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 10:54 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
I was just now looking for the same thing online. Shame on the Kings or the LA Times for not even noting this.

That story about Ace Bailey is a great read.
In fairness, the LA Times did have the column by Helene Elliott
http://www.latimes.com/sports/column...rts-columnists

Old
09-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
In fairness, the LA Times did have the column by Helene Elliott
http://www.latimes.com/sports/column...rts-columnists
Hmmm missed that one. I'm suprised that the LA Times is giving something even hockey related space in their paper.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2006, 11:06 PM
jurtur

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
Two LA Kings scouts, Ace Bailey and Mark Bavis, were on United Flight 175 that was hijacked and crashed into the World Trade Center. They were flying from Boston to LA for the opening of training camp.

Here's a story from ESPN.com on Bailey.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=2574764

This is the patch they wore on their uniforms that season to remember Ace and Mark.
http://www.rivercitysports.com/final...0A%26M%20Patch

I agree with PSP, I still think it's pretty disrespectful for the Kings to not change at least one of the pictures on their site that rotate to something honoring Ace and Mark. They still have the stickers on the back of their helmets for the two of them, but now I wonder if the new regime will take those off as well. NHL.com put up an article.
Thanks for the info , that is a sad story and i too think there should be some kind of honoring of this anniversary at least for a day if not more .

jurtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 11:07 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Shame on the Kings organization. There should OBVIOUSLY have been SOMETHING on the front of the website. It has nothing to do with new organizational people. Hockey is a family and people like Dean Lombardi, Crawford, Hextall, etc. all knew or knew of Ace Bailey... There is a large memorial among the photos at Toyota, and I am sure we are reminded daily because of things like that and the articles written, but it is inexcusable that the Kings would have passed up the opportunity to recall, remember and honor the memory of two men who died enroute to training camp in the attacks of 9/11/01.

FYI, there WAS a moment of silence prior to the anthem at the rookie game.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
Shame on the Kings organization. There should OBVIOUSLY have been SOMETHING on the front of the website. It has nothing to do with new organizational people. Hockey is a family and people like Dean Lombardi, Crawford, Hextall, etc. all knew or knew of Ace Bailey... There is a large memorial among the photos at Toyota, and I am sure we are reminded daily because of things like that and the articles written, but it is inexcusable that the Kings would have passed up the opportunity to recall, remember and honor the memory of two men who died enroute to training camp in the attacks of 9/11/01.

FYI, there WAS a moment of silence prior to the anthem at the rookie game.
Concur with this post

Just another example though of how lakings.com is the worst official site in the league.

Old
09-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn View Post
Just another example though of how lakings.com is the worst official site in the league.

more concurrance.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 12:00 PM
CBGB

Quote:
Perhaps you may say that it's a matter of respect, but why should people new to the organization feel compelled to make what could be a hollow gesture to guys that they never knew, a whole 5 years after the fact?
So when did Anshutz and the new regime KNOW Gretzky? He didn't play for THEM, he played for McNall? Yet THEY put his banner up.

And why should McNall have acknowledged Taylor and Dionne? They didn't play for HIM - they played for Buss.

How come the Kings gave Doug Bodger a fricken BOAT for playing in his 1,000th game? Especially when he played most of those games for OTHER TEAMS???

Maybe you're right though - maybe the Flyers should forget about Pelle Lindberg and maybe the Thrashers should forget about Dan Snyder, too.

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
Shame on the Kings organization.

...it is inexcusable...
I still haven't gotten a good answer to why it's "shameful" and "inexcusable." Is it just because everyone else is dwelling on the events of a half-decade ago that anyone who doesn't should be ashamed? Is that an honorable reason?

More to the point, though, when does it stop being "shameful" and "inexcusable"? Who has the authority (or gall) to decide when that is? If it's not 5 years, is it 10 years, 20 years, 35 years? At which point does it suddenly become excusable to let it pass without mention and which of you decides this for everyone? It might've been nice to put something up on the website, I completely agree, but I definitely don't agree with judging and condeming because they didn't live up to my lofty standards.

Honor the deceased in your own way and let others do it in their way. If it's not what you would've done, you can be disappointed without being judgmental. That's my opinion.

Old
09-12-2006, 09:33 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

It is "shameful" and "inexcuseable" because the person with direct responsibility for the decision - aka Mike Altieri - was definitely here when Bailey and Bavis were killed on their way to training camp.

The big question is whether they intentionally didn't do anything or whether they didn't think it was important enough - I'm betting on the latter....

Old
09-12-2006, 09:57 PM
THEKingsFanInRI
Waiting 4 next year

Quote:

More to the point, though, when does it stop being "shameful" and "inexcusable"?

When Ace and Mark come back.

We are speaking of an act that transcends both sports and time. This is a story that will NEVER go away. So why should we ever forget? Do you think that the great-grandchildren of any of the other people lost on 9-11 will stop recognizing that loss just because they were people they did not know? I, for one, remember my uncle every Feb. 2nd, even though he was killed (in VietNam) nearly two years before I was born.

While I suppose you don't necessarily have to bring out every photo and video of UAL175 hitting Tower 2 every 9-11, something as subtle as putting the AM patch on the site, or better yet, a banner at Staples, would not be asking too much.

THEKingsFanInRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFanInRI View Post
, or better yet, a banner at Staples, would not be asking too much.
That'd be perfect imo.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2006, 11:16 PM
braincramp

I had an uncle who died at Pearl Harbor. I was just a child, and he was a kid of 19.

I had a distant cousin who was working in the Twin Towers, and he died on 9/11.

My other uncle died of natural causes and was found in the bathroom of his house at age 82. The neighborhood streets were filled with people when they brought him out, and many people were crying.

None were heroes. Two just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

We all die. Loved ones will miss us and remember us to differing degrees based on the nature of the victim and the nature of the survivor, and the kind of life they had together.

I loved my older uncle the most. I remember him despite his having died alone on an innocuous day, and not together with thousands in a disaster.

braincramp is offline   Reply With Quote