HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds for Sale?!?!

Old
09-13-2006, 10:31 AM
preddevil

vCash: 500
Preds for Sale?!?!

Yes, I know we've heard this one before, but I thought that this article deserved its own thread considering the source. Boclair is fairly knowledgeable when compared to the rest of the local media. I'm a bit surprised to see this coming from him. I see the team salary increases of the last few years more as a product of revenue sharing and of Leopold doing what he told us he would do from the beginning.

From the Daily News Journal:

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...ORTS/609130324

preddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by preddevil View Post
Yes, I know we've heard this one before, but I thought that this article deserved its own thread considering the source. Boclair is fairly knowledgeable when compared to the rest of the local media. I'm a bit surprised to see this coming from him. I see the team salary increases of the last few years more as a product of revenue sharing and of Leopold doing what he told us he would do from the beginning.

From the Daily News Journal:

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...ORTS/609130324

No. I think David was just trying to create some news as it was a slow day for him.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 10:53 AM
handtrick

The story is idiotic...if you are going to sell an NHL team you have a fire sale....ala STL.....minimize your long term commitments...not sign your goalie to a 4 yr $22.8 mill extension and sign a center for a 5 yr $22.5 mill contracts...both with no trade clauses.

Usually Boclair is pretty good, but this something that you might see from Paul McCann if he ever were to attempt some "insight"....

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Jarnberg

This guy just wants attention. If it was some story about how well the Predators have done or something to that effect, casuals or others might have skipped over it. However, if you see PREDS FOR SALE, it will catch your attention.

What proof does this guy have to backup this claim? He's just trying to stir up some crap to get people reading his article (which look liked it worked).

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 01:13 PM
lstcyr

Wow. First we want more stories about hockey even when there is no news. Now we complain that the stories are speculative. Can't have it both ways.

He just wrote a column speculating. He has no facts other than here's what he sees, is this what it might mean.

If the story was, well Hamhuis isn't signed, does that mean he might be traded, we'd have no problem with the story.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
The story is idiotic...if you are going to sell an NHL team you have a fire sale....ala STL.....minimize your long term commitments...not sign your goalie to a 4 yr $22.8 mill extension and sign a center for a 5 yr $22.5 mill contracts...both with no trade clauses.

Usually Boclair is pretty good, but this something that you might see from Paul McCann if he ever were to attempt some "insight"....
Having a team on the cusp of a Conference Chapionship appearance, increased ticket sales, a great core of recognizable talent without an overexerted payroll, and a sweet arena deal certainly would boost the worth of a franchise and seem enticing to a prospective buyer.

Although, I think last season's "frugality" and subsequent extra $ from revenue sharing is, in a sense, extra spending money for the bells and whistles.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Cooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Wow. First we want more stories about hockey even when there is no news. Now we complain that the stories are speculative. Can't have it both ways.

He just wrote a column speculating. He has no facts other than here's what he sees, is this what it might mean.

If the story was, well Hamhuis isn't signed, does that mean he might be traded, we'd have no problem with the story.
You know it's weird...the boundaries between traditional journalism (hard facts, no opinion) and non-traditional journalism (gossip, op-ed) are becoming more and more blurred. I think it's a function of the Internet and our need it now disposible society. In the past, the newspaper and the evening news is where you got the goods, now, by the time I turn on the TV or unwrap a newspaper, I've gotten all the particulars from the Internet.

I know it's something that we struggle with over at PredZone but I don't have a problem with mixing facts with conjecture as long as you clearly mark the conjecture as such. I think Boclair did that sufficiently. If he were to come on here and write the same piece, we would have no problem with it and we would debate its merits. Now, if he came out and said the Preds are pushing up the price and plan to sell the franchise to the highest bidder and made it seem as though it were a fact, I would have a problem with that.

As it stands, I think yes, it was written with the intent of stirring up the pot and getting people to discuss. In the end, he was successful. I don't agree with his speculation, but it doesn't mean that he should persecuted for having an opinion.

Ultimately, his analogy is flawed. In the house market there are buyers at many different price points and the goal is to move your house from a lower price point to a higher price point with the intent of attracting a whole new breed of buyer. With a major sports franchise, there is only one level of buyer (the super rich) and they're all looking for the best deal. Hence, the St. Louis Blues fire sale.

The Preds aren't going anywhere. As much as it pains the city, Nashville needs the Preds.

Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post

Stories about the Predators being sold/relocated/, having bad attendance, etc. are not my first choice for Predators press.

I think when people complain about coverage, they aren't complaining about stories like this.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger View Post
Stories about the Predators being sold/relocated/, having bad attendance, etc. are not my first choice for Predators press.

I think when people complain about coverage, they aren't complaining about stories like this.
Agreed we can get this crap off any Non-Nashville website now the speculation is even higher, which hurts attendance more. Some People won't go to games because they already think the Predators are moving now they have another reason not to care.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2006, 08:57 PM
FD

Quote:
Maybe this is already out there, but guess who your new in-arena PA announcer is....Hello Mr. McCann

FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 06:23 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Maybe this is already out there, but guess who your new in-arena PA announcer is....Hello Mr. McCann
Perfect match....no insight required, and a loud mouth....

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
ouch

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 08:43 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
ZING!

What ever happened to Krazy Kyle?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 10:17 AM
PredDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
ZING!

What ever happened to Krazy Kyle?

He's off playing his organ somewhere.... hehehe
I'm serious! He's a pianist for some church, I believe.

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 02:15 PM
puckscene

Could it possibly, just possibly, be that Poile/Leipold realize that they have to spend a little more money to have the talent to take them past the first round of the playoffs?

As mentioned above - teams that are getting ready to be sold tend to have fire sales.

puckscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 09:59 AM
nashtrash25

It's a stupid story.

You invest $$ in the team to build fan interest, sell more tickets and hopefully advance further in the playoffs. If those three things happen, the franchise will turn a profit.

nashtrash25 is offline   Reply With Quote