HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Sign Oates

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
No doubt about it, but Oates can't play 60 minutes a game, nor can he take all our faceoffs, or be on all the PPs...
We should almost just save him for the powerplay. We are doing fine 5on5, but our pp is embarassing. We are, what, 6th place in the west with no special teams whatsoever. Now that we have a smart player to qb the pp, oh the potential.

He'd better get mentally prepared for Oilers hockey. The old man's in for a workout.

I've gotten zero work done since they announced this. Just cant concentrate for some reason.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Excellent, excellent signing. They should have done this last year, but better late than never. And no, I don't think this means a Comrie trade is imminent. Quite the opposite in fact.
Agreed. I think this changes the whole Comrie situation. Lowe can now sit him as long as he wants, and not look stupid. It takes the pressure off to get a trade done quickly.

I like it. I mean, teams go shopping when they need guys. That's why Edmonton got Oates. As the year goes along, many teams will be shopping for centres when their roster gets trimmed by injuries. Only then will the more serious offers come in.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:20 PM
dem

Hate to rain on the parade... but
1 yr for 2 mil? Seems a little high to me.. :p

Oh well who cares

Old
11-17-2003, 02:24 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Hate to rain on the parade... but
1 yr for 2 mil? Seems a little high to me.. :p

Oh well who cares
No way. I think $2M is priced right, given the experience he brings. If we were giving that money to an inconsistent 22 year old centre who is good on faceoffs then we'd be overpaying.

Playing on the top two lines and on the powerplay, I think he'll earn his keep... and if not (which I doubt), then it can be another Dopita write-off.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:24 PM
edmontonoilers89

Good signing. I certainly wasn't expecting that at all.

Hopefully the fans don't expect too much from him too early. He's 41 and hasn't played since June. But it's freaking Adam Oates, a hall of famer, so he'll come around.

Our lines look very good right now, and when Reasoner gets back we will have 4 very solid lines. Well, hopefully. Other people have already touched on the lines so I'll leave it at that.

Boy, what a week though huh? We win the Grey Cup, beat the Flames, Heritage Classic is coming up, sign Oates, Conklin is playing great and wins the defensive player of the week, and considering how bad this team has been criticized, we're still doing pretty good in the standings if you ask me!

Old
11-17-2003, 02:25 PM
vb

It'll be nice to see him win some draws and be a guy we can get the puck to on the PP so he can control the play (a la Weight), but I don't see him being a huge impact player, just a great complimentary player for the guys we already have. I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

I wonder what number he'll go with, maybe 12 or 77.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:25 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
well, i'm eating crow. this one caught me completely off guard.

i seriously doubt oates will be with the oilers when the playoffs start though. i'm sure he'll be dealt to a serious contender for a pick... i wonder what clarke would give up for him this time? :lol

anyway, this should allow the oilers to make some seriously nice lines when marty gets back...

smyth - york - hemsky
torres - oates - dvorak
moreau - reasoner - pisani
isbister - stoll - salmo/laraque

trade: laraque, comrie, horcoff for defensemen or goaltending!!!

very cool! i just hope they don't expect TOO much from him. he should get 2nd line time at the most.
I would like LD's lines Oates and Hemsky should not be on the same lines being our two best playmakers got to spread the slick passing magic around.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:27 PM
Tarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I think I just crapped my pants.

Then you need this:

Old
11-17-2003, 02:29 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I would like LD's lines Oates and Hemsky should not be on the same lines being our two best playmakers got to spread the slick passing magic around.
I agree in the long-term. But for now I think it would be dangerous to tinker with the chemistry that second line has going right now.

Oates may struggle a bit coming in, so I'd hate to ruin a good thing while Oates is getting up to speed.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:29 PM
Rooks Oilers

WOW! The OILERS finally have a VET in the lineup! A real VET! Nice signing!

Old
11-17-2003, 02:30 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

OH MY GOD!!!!! K, I love this move. It is going to do so much for our team. Hemsky and Oates will pass teams silly and Smyth will mop up the garbage. I really wanted Comrie back, but since that is almost for SURE not going to happen now, I say if we can get a top 3 D man for Comrie then we are set.

YES LOWE!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!

Man am I excited, I hope he is ready to play by Sat for the Classic....

Old
11-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Lowetide

Terrific move, one that many (including me) didn't think would happen. Good for Lowe, and good for Oates too. This gives them time to let Reasoner heal, and then Horcoff after that if his hip is still bothering him.

Couple of questions: who was the last Oiler ufa signing for legit $$$'s? I'm sure I don't know.

Secondly, Oates is the slowest Oiler forward since? Nicholls was slow, but Oates is slower.

With Oates, Hemsky and York, all world class puck passers, Smyth, Dvorak and Torres are going to get some great chances.

one final thing: IF Oates can fix this powerplay, they'll build him a monument too.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:31 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Well this is the guy I wanted on the market, but all the reports said that he wasn't interested in Edmonton or any other non-contender for that matter. Maybe he saw that with three key players out we could still win, and he realized that he is exactly what the team needed to enjoy some success. WOW.... it's all I can say. that and holy *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SOOOOO EXCITED.... I got tix to the Hawkes game - and I'm praying that he's in the lineup as I can't wait to see him in OIlers silks!!!!! I"m SOOOOOO FRIGGIN excited!

Old
11-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Oilers Hockey

lowetide, is Oates going to be ready tomorrow? Because its a PPV game, and I want to watch him.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:33 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Terrific move, one that many (including me) didn't think would happen. Good for Lowe, and good for Oates too. This gives them time to let Reasoner heal, and then Horcoff after that if his hip is still bothering him.

Couple of questions: who was the last Oiler ufa signing for legit $$$'s? I'm sure I don't know.

Secondly, Oates is the slowest Oiler forward since? Nicholls was slow, but Oates is slower.
With Oates, Hemsky and York, all world class puck passers, Smyth, Dvorak and Torres are going to get some great chances.

one final thing: IF Oates can fix this powerplay, they'll build him a monument too.
Tough call between a 41 year-old Oates and a one-kneed Jiri Dopita.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:34 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
I agree...but I'm hoping that Oate's perfect passes to Hemsky will make him less reluctant to shoot the darn puck. However, the Oates and Smyth combo will be great!

I'm very happy with this signing. I hope Comrie is sitting in some corner of his room all sad while the rest of Edmonton dances and rejoices.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:38 PM
Digger12

What did Lowe say?

"Expect the unexpected"...

I would say this qualifies. This whole board is pretty much in shock. It's hilarious to watch, for a brief moment in time we're not a small market club anymore. This sort of thing JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN HERE.

All hyperbole aside, if nothing else we've finally found someone with half a clue on the faceoff dot. He's AT LEAST as good as Marchant at that skill.

So with Oates and very likely Isbister to draw in very soon, who comes out/gets sent to Toronto?

This can't help but be a big morale boost to the players, finally management shows some gumption and gets some help that doesn't smell of a salary dump.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:40 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
How about Patrick Cote or Dennis Bonvie?

Old
11-17-2003, 02:42 PM
OilBeDrillin'

Lowe suggested he plan to speak with Comrie once more, and attempt to persuade him to play with Edmonton this season.
was Adam Oates the reason for Lowe taking one last stab at bringing Comrie home?
i believe with the signing of Oates, there's no chance we'll see Comrie in an Oilers uniform any time soon. certainly not this season, that's forsure.

i agree with LawnDemon in regards to Edmonton's top two lines. perhaps Dvorak will begin burying the puck now that there's a player whose name can is among the leaders in assists all-time helping him do so.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Rooks Oilers

KEVIN LOWE

Old
11-17-2003, 02:43 PM
Digger12

Quote:
No way...Nicholls was so slow only time lapse photography could detect his end to end rushes. I've seen glaciers catch him on the backcheck.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:43 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
So with Oates and very likely Isbister to draw in very soon, who comes out/gets sent to Toronto?
I would guess Sarno goes down. Chimera comes out, and Laraque should come out too, but it'll probably be Salmo.

EDIT: Valiquette will probably be sent down really soon too.

Old
11-17-2003, 02:46 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Isbister expected to be back tomorrow too
most likely the two rooks get sent down, Salmo and Sarno

Old
11-17-2003, 02:46 PM
windowlicker

WOW.. i did not see this coming. I would have been happy enough with someone like Ronning.. because i knew we had no chance at landing Oates.

Ive been a big fan of his, and this move just feels right on all fronts, because this team needed someone like him so badly.
wow, you can really tell how starved for signings people in small markets are when after something like this people are celebrating like weve won something.

you think people in Detroit, New York or Dallas would be so ******* excited if they signed someone like him? Never.

Kevin Lowe

Old
11-17-2003, 02:47 PM
steveburfoot

Send a message via Yahoo to steveburfoot
Congrats on the signing, he is a smart player so it should work out fine, and as the season is also part done, surely you don't have to pay him the full $2m or am i missing something here?
He is a player most teams would love to have, so kudos to Kevin Lowe on getting him and good luck on getting help with the D

Closed Thread