HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Sign Oates

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2003, 02:31 PM
Oilers Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
A big name free agent signing is a rare occassion for us Oiler fans, so why can't you be happy for us.
Sounds like a bitter, jealous calgarypucker to me. Those people are livid with rage, so they are trying to find ANY fault with our newest Oiler, even if it doesn't exist!

Old
11-18-2003, 02:38 PM
kacz

The addition of Adam Oates is great news in Edmonton, he is a smart player with awesome face-off and playmaking skills. But remember his stay in Edmonton is only about 5 months long, too bad we couldn't sign him in his prime...

Old
11-18-2003, 02:41 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
I wouldn't be too excited if I were an Oilers fan. Oates is 41 and does not impress me anymore. I watched him in the playoffs last year, and if it was for his faceoffs, he did not belong on the ice.
He didn't belong on the ice, yet tied for the team lead in scoring with Sykora?

I don't see a lot of Anaheim fans sharing your sentiment...but then what do they know, they only watched him every day.

My 9 year old son trolls better than you.

Old
11-18-2003, 02:51 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
I wouldn't be too excited if I were an Oilers fan. Oates is 41 and does not impress me anymore. I watched him in the playoffs last year, and if it was for his faceoffs, he did not belong on the ice.
Funny... the Oilers really need him for his face-offs... imagine that. Thanks for the heads up.

Old
11-18-2003, 03:05 PM
Hemmer

I dunno...I think Oates is going to single-handedly turn us into a cup contender myself. Watch...

Smyth Oates Hemsky
York Oates Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Torres Oates Laraque

Brewer Oates
Staios Smith
Ferguson Oates

Oates
Oates

Old
11-18-2003, 03:13 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
I know that asking this question makes me a bad person and I truly am ashamed of myself but I can't help it. Am I the only one to notice that our favourite visitor from the coast has gone mia? MIZRAL, where are you, you huge Oiler fan, you????

I just know it will take several lifetimes to erase the bad Karma of this post but . . . . you only live so many times.
I quite like the Oates signing. Sorry I didn't post about it here before, but yes, this is quite like what I wanted the Oilers to do. Personally, I was hoping they'd pick up Mike Ricci, but hey, this is pretty good too.

I'm glad Lowe went after a veteran though. I think the Oilers have gotta get older if they plan to compete for playoff spots every year.

Better yet, I'm glad they got a guy who brings some intangibles to the table that the Oilers were missing. Leadership the Oilers have, but veteran leadership - and by that I mean guys that can become 'mentors' for other players. Maybe only Smith and Smyth have that kind of intangible. The other one I love is faceoffs, Oates is probobly a top 10 faceoff man in the league, so that really helps.

Old
11-18-2003, 03:14 PM
Master Lok

I like how Lowe handled the Comrie situation so far.

1) He gave our current players (Horcoff, Smyth) opportunities to play #1 centre. York and Reasoner found homes at their current strong lines.

2) He tried to give Comrie more time to come back and sign with the Oilers. I believe someone mentioned that John Davidson said that Lowe was going to try one last time this past weekend. Obviously he failed and immediately signed another option.

3) Even though the Oilers came back with a nice winning record on the recent road trip, Reasoner was injured. During the Olympic year, Smyth injured his ankle and for the first week afterwards we were ok. Then the month after that, the Oilers played like crap. Obviously, Lowe is not taking the chance that "someone" will step it up with no #1 and no Reasoner at centre. He signed Oates to avoid the same thing happening.

Excellent job Klowe!

Old
11-18-2003, 06:33 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
I think most people care about Lowe actually taking action and signing a proven playmaker and faceoff man. Hopefully he'll chuck his ego at the door, but I have to say I haven't heard anything about Oates having a bad attitude! Let's not bring up negatives that probably don't even exist, this was a great move that will help us so much. I'm excited about Oates coming to Edmonton.
So you have not heard about it so it "probably doesn't even exist?" If only that were the way it worked my friend...

Edit: hemmer, what is MacT supposed to say, "when i played with adam in STL none of the guys really liked him but we knew he was a great player and didn't beat his ass when he made stupid selfish comments and was a glory-hog"?

my point is, MacT has to take Lowe's back so to speak on this signing and support him by supposrting Oates and building him up in the media.

Old
11-18-2003, 08:15 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
So you have not heard about it so it "probably doesn't even exist?" If only that were the way it worked my friend...

Edit: hemmer, what is MacT supposed to say, "when i played with adam in STL none of the guys really liked him but we knew he was a great player and didn't beat his ass when he made stupid selfish comments and was a glory-hog"?

my point is, MacT has to take Lowe's back so to speak on this signing and support him by supposrting Oates and building him up in the media.
Granted, but I also heard on the PPV tonight that there was a three-way conversation between Lowe, MacT and Oatsie before the signing. Now, it's likely Lowe and MacT were together in the same room for that call...and when it was over, Lowe probably asked him "So...what's he like?"

My point is, MacT IS a character reference, whether its through the media or in private. I doubt Lowe would have brought aboard someone who is a cancer in the room. Look what happened to a guy who was simply "too cool" for this team. Look what's happening to MC. If you aren't a team-first player, you aren't an Oiler IMO.

Old
11-18-2003, 08:18 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
I like how Lowe handled the Comrie situation so far.

1) He gave our current players (Horcoff, Smyth) opportunities to play #1 centre. York and Reasoner found homes at their current strong lines.

2) He tried to give Comrie more time to come back and sign with the Oilers. I believe someone mentioned that John Davidson said that Lowe was going to try one last time this past weekend. Obviously he failed and immediately signed another option.

3) Even though the Oilers came back with a nice winning record on the recent road trip, Reasoner was injured. During the Olympic year, Smyth injured his ankle and for the first week afterwards we were ok. Then the month after that, the Oilers played like crap. Obviously, Lowe is not taking the chance that "someone" will step it up with no #1 and no Reasoner at centre. He signed Oates to avoid the same thing happening.

Excellent job Klowe!
I'm not sure if resoner's injury has a whole lot to to do with the oates deal. It's not like oates is going to step in right away, it could be 2 weeks before he's ready and resoner is 3-4 weeks away. I think we could have survived without reasoner for the 1-2 weeks that oates will be playing and reasoner isn't. Also, you don't spend 2 mil on a guy just because you have an injury to your third line centre.

Old
11-18-2003, 08:36 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I quite like the Oates signing. Sorry I didn't post about it here before, but yes, this is quite like what I wanted the Oilers to do. Personally, I was hoping they'd pick up Mike Ricci, but hey, this is pretty good too.

I'm glad Lowe went after a veteran though. I think the Oilers have gotta get older if they plan to compete for playoff spots every year.

Better yet, I'm glad they got a guy who brings some intangibles to the table that the Oilers were missing. Leadership the Oilers have, but veteran leadership - and by that I mean guys that can become 'mentors' for other players. Maybe only Smith and Smyth have that kind of intangible. The other one I love is faceoffs, Oates is probobly a top 10 faceoff man in the league, so that really helps.
What would make you doubt that the Oilers would be a playoff team withouth him?!?!?! Jeez - they are tied for fifth in the west and they aren't even playing good. Anybody who watches them will vouch that they haven't played a really good complete game since they beat the Avs. But they have as good depth as anybody in the NHL, and they can score with any team in the NHL. Take away Oates from the Oilers and they are still a playoff team. Add Oates into the equation and take into consideration that our best player (Smyth) hasn't played at all good this year and we could make a run at a division title if we get a usable asset in return for Comrie - or even if we don't, we should be in or around the 5-7 place in the west when it's all said and done. I mean the potential of this team in incredible - so many players not playing good, key injuries, and yet we only have two losses in our last ten. I think this is the year the youth breaks out. What else, besides time, could prove that this should be the year!?!

Old
11-19-2003, 03:56 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus
Nope, that would be Brian Swanson. And I believe Cleary wore #37 for a while after McAmmond's departure (until switching to #7).
yeah, you're right, I'd forgotten about Swanny, and I'm pretty sure Cleary wore it too.

I'd blocked them out. (Although I was somewhat of a supporter of Cleary's for a time.)

Old
11-19-2003, 04:11 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
What would make you doubt that the Oilers would be a playoff team withouth him?!?!?! Jeez - they are tied for fifth in the west and they aren't even playing good. Anybody who watches them will vouch that they haven't played a really good complete game since they beat the Avs.
The latter statement isn't true, they played a pretty complete game against the Wild. They did pretty well against Calgary too.

Having said that, I think the Oil are still a playoff team without Oates, but... they wouldn't get very far without at least a couple of guys who win more faceoffs than they lose. Right now, I think Reasoner's the only guy who could possibly be in that category, although ICBW, I can't find faceoff stats right now and I don't have time to search.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:42 AM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
I dunno...I think Oates is going to single-handedly turn us into a cup contender myself. Watch...

Smyth Oates Hemsky
York Oates Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Torres Oates Laraque

Brewer Oates
Staios Smith
Ferguson Oates

Oates
Oates

LOL! Nice! But you forgot Moreau-Reasoner-Oates.

Closed Thread