HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Muckler to make a trade or to fire Martin?

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2003, 06:39 PM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
Muckler to make a trade or to fire Martin?

Muck has been quoted in the media over the past couple of weeks saying he will make changes if the Sens don't start playing to their potential, well after the Montreal loss on the weekend Muck has said the same thing.

The Sens loss another one tonight, this time a 2-1 loss to the Sabres. What is to be done, or what will be done?

A big shake up via a trade or a coaching change? We all know it is easier to fire one guy instead of 23, what's going to happen in Ottawa???

Personally I would not be surprised to see Jacques Martin get canned, it happens a lot to coaches who have coached in the same city for years. It seems after a while the players don't play for you anymore, has this happened here? This team is too talented not to be winning.

Opinions and thoughts?

Rumors of any trades in Ottawa?

Old
11-17-2003, 06:42 PM
Michalek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Muck has been quoted in the media over the past couple of weeks saying he will make changes if the Sens don't start playing to their potential, well after the Montreal loss on the weekend Muck has said the same thing.

The Sens loss another one tonight, this time a 2-1 loss to the Sabres. What is to be done, or what will be done?

A big shake up via a trade or a coaching change? We all know it is easier to fire one guy instead of 23, what's going to happen in Ottawa???

Personally I would not be surprised to see Jacques Martin get canned, it happens a lot to coaches who have coached in the same city for years. It seems after a while the players don't play for you anymore, has this happened here? This team is too talented not to be winning.

Opinions and thoughts?

Rumors of any trades in Ottawa?

What players (in your opinion) would Ottawa cosider to move???

Old
11-17-2003, 06:53 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalek
First players mentioned in trades in Ottawa always seem to be Phillips or Bonk so they come to mind, Havlat for some reason seems like a likely candidate because he isn't doing that great and his hold out didn't help matters.

I could see the Oilers being interested in a Havlat to Edmonton for Comrie, but the Sens have too many centres then. It would have to be a bigger deal with more involved, but logic makes one think that Muck and Lowe would be good trading partners much like Lowe and Sather are because of their pasts together.

Old
11-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:

I don't think it's who Ottawa is going to move, but more who they might bring in. I think they have really missed Fisher's presence, he's a real sparkplug for that team. Varada has done a nice job filling in for the aggitating part of his game, but Fish really brings some intensity.

I personally feel that Martin is out. I think he may have done all he can with this team, and now they are just tuning him out. Who do they get to replace him? I have no idea. Robinson would be nice, but then again Keenan could be the exact guy to get them over that last hurdle.

Old
11-17-2003, 06:57 PM
Michalek

Its not hard to fire coach..... its way harder to hire quality one.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:04 PM
Volchenkov

Chris Gratton could be on his way to Ottawa if the rumours are correct about Pho wanting to dump his contract. Martin isn't getting fired. Bonk and Phillips aren't going anywhere. The only players that may be dealt:

Shastlivy, White, Schaefer, Pothier, Hnidy, Prusek.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:09 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Its not hard to fire coach..... its way harder to hire quality one.
Muckler could sep behind the bench, plus AHL coach for the Baby Sens John Paddock is a very capiable replacement for the rest of the season.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:11 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
Chris Gratton could be on his way to Ottawa if the rumours are correct about Pho wanting to dump his contract. Martin isn't getting fired. Bonk and Phillips aren't going anywhere. The only players that may be dealt:

Shastlivy, White, Schaefer, Pothier, Hnidy, Prusek.
And those players mentioned in a trade shake up the team? I don't think so, plus don't be so sure about Martin not getting the door...this is supposed to be the Sens year.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
And those players mentioned in a trade shake up the team? I don't think so, plus don't be so sure about Martin not getting the door...this is supposed to be the Sens year.
NO, these players can be used in a package to bring someone else in, to instill some new blood into the team. No key player is going anywhere. Muckler made that quite clear in the offseason and I don't think he's changed his mind.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

If trades must be done, I would probably see Ottawa aim for a good 1st line LW. They have all the depth they need (and more) at RW, C and D, but this position is rather weakening them, especially with Fisher's absence (who I think would look better as a 3rd line center anyway).

Also, I think Bonk and Havlat would be IMO the two most likely to get moved. Either Havlat or Bonk could land a premium LW of Ryan Smyth's quality to make for a more solid 1st line. The C and RW positions are not a problem at all (quite the contrary).

Old
11-17-2003, 07:36 PM
Ozy_Flame

Talk about panicking! Fire Martin because of a slump? Get over it! The guy is a hell of a coach, and some of you think an AHL boss is the answer to your problems? Man, oh man, there really must be something wrong if that's what it's come down to.

Just give things time - let the team work out the rust, start gelling again, let the injuries heal, and have patience. No need to start reacting to a mosquito bite - problem.

Old
11-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
I could see something being done to shakeup the team, but I don't see Martin being fired unless this continues into December...I also don't see Bonk being dealt, as he has been awesome thus far....

Old
11-17-2003, 07:50 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

When a team is slumping like the sens are, you dont fire the coach. You tweak the roster.

Martin has been doing a fine job with this team.....use Detroit as an example. They went how many years almost winning the cup, never fired the coach. Once they got their stuff together, they started winning...by tweaking the roster.

If they are dealing White, someone mentioned Gratton. I dont think the sens would want his salary, but if for some reason they do, it would work for both clubs(players wise, not money)

The sens have a great system going for them though. They have 3, #1 right wingers on the squad, used on 3 different lines combined with a 4th line that can also produce is a deadly combo.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:19 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Do nothing. Wait it out, things will fix themselves. The team is too talented to play like this for the rest of the year. You most definately do not fire Martin. The lineup for him would be very long.

A minor move here or there might help, but keeping the core is obviously necessary.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:35 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Firing Muckler is not the answer IMO. What needs to happen is for somone to step up and play with a passion for the game. The Sens looked dead on ice tonight, until they were behind by two goals late in the third.......For a team with as much talent as they have, this is completely unacceptable. I can see why people think this is a coaching problem, but Martin is one of the best in the buisness, dumping him will only weaken the team in the long run.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:55 PM
RoyIsALegend*

*Fictional idea*

Eric Lindros, at his $3.5 M base salary, goes to Ottawa for picks and a prospect.

The Big E comes to his home province in Ontario, and provides a legitimate number one center presence. With the proper skill around him, the guy is still a force and is not a bad pick-up. Just one more year left on his contract after this season.

Ah, then I wake up.

Old
11-17-2003, 09:56 PM
MVP

Fire Martin, enough is enough already, i know that Martin has done a lot for the Sens as a franchise and really turned this team around. However, NHL remain a pro league where business decision has got to be made, and firing Martin is the most logical step at this moment.

Old
11-17-2003, 10:01 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Fire Martin, enough is enough already, i know that Martin has done a lot for the Sens as a franchise and really turned this team around. However, NHL remain a pro league where business decision has got to be made, and firing Martin is the most logical step at this moment.
fair points, but i think it is a bit early to hit the panic button

Old
11-17-2003, 10:38 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire

I personally feel that Martin is out. I think he may have done all he can with this team, and now they are just tuning him out. Who do they get to replace him? I have no idea. Robinson would be nice, but then again Keenan could be the exact guy to get them over that last hurdle.
Keenan in Ottawa.....WOW...I will be surprised to see that happen

Old
11-17-2003, 11:53 PM
pepchew

Their record so far this year is very similar to their record at this time last year and they won the President's Trophy and damn near won the Cup. I think last year's start was a wake-up call and I'm betting the same will happen this year. Firing Martin would be an enormous gamble. Same goes for trading key players.

A little tinkering might not be a bad idea, however. Maybe they could package a few fringe players up for a good left winger with some grit. I'm betting they could get a pretty good deal on Isbister considering his stock is so low now. I would have suggested White and Pothier for Isbister and a pick, but Edmonton just signed Oates. I still think White would be an awesome fit in Edmonton, though.

Old
11-18-2003, 12:17 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Have no idea what, if anything, will happen in Ottawa.

Personally, I think they should do nothing. This is a very good team with a very good coach. They'll get it together. If not, there is plenty of season left to make a move(s). Waaaaay premature.

Old
11-18-2003, 03:14 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
NO, these players can be used in a package to bring someone else in, to instill some new blood into the team. No key player is going anywhere. Muckler made that quite clear in the offseason and I don't think he's changed his mind.
The problem with packages is to all GMs it means "collection of salaries", and so has less than zero trading value. If missing Fisher is the problem, then in the playoffs the opposing teams will target him until he is out of the picture and the team fades. So if missing Fisher is the problem, then we need Fisher, and another player like him. To get that the Sens will have to give up something of value, not just a package of unnecessary players and their salaries.

Old
11-18-2003, 03:17 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
What if the Sens send...

Smolinski and Phillips to the Rangers

Rangers send Lindros and Poti to the Sens.
No thanks, getting softer is driving this car in reverse.

Old
11-18-2003, 03:49 AM
sensfan18

Just a couple things.

Phillips won't be moved.

If JM is fired, Keenan won't replace him.

Other than that, I have no idea what the hell is wrong with them or what is going to happen.

Old
11-18-2003, 04:08 AM
Kukla

[QUOTE=pepchew]Their record so far this year is very similar to their record at this time last year and they won the President's Trophy and damn near won the Cup.

Damn near won the cup? You have to at least make it to the SCF before you can say that.

Closed Thread