HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

HELP HELP HELP...Oh man, HELP

Old
09-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Ti-girl

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
HELP HELP HELP...Oh man, HELP

Okay, our main goalie has to go to a wedding on the weekend and our backup goalie tore her ACL playing volleyball.

We play Sunday. I am the only person who has played ANY goal and is a good enough skater to play goal.

I have played catcher for 10 years, but goalie...uh...

It seems like I wll be the one between the pipes. Any hints. Or should I cross myself and just hide?

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 10:04 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
Okay, our main goalie has to go to a wedding on the weekend and our backup goalie tore her ACL playing volleyball.

We play Sunday. I am the only person who has played ANY goal and is a good enough skater to play goal.

I have played catcher for 10 years, but goalie...uh...

It seems like I wll be the one between the pipes. Any hints. Or should I cross myself and just hide?

I'd do it if you have the equipment, and run out of Calgary.

Of course, I suck, but I am fearless.(offer good afternoon/evening only)

Last edited by octopi: 09-14-2006 at 10:21 PM.
octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 04:30 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
should I cross myself and just hide?
Absolutely.

Always try to put yourself in front of the puck. Try to cover the most spaces. If the competition isn't really good, be sure to block the bottom of the net. If they beat you with a good shots top corner, good for them but most of the time, they will miss. You won't be beat by a low shot, which are easier to put on net.

Good luck! Being a goaltenders isn't the easiest job on a ice rink!

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 05:48 AM
Qui Gon Dave

I've never played goal myself but I've been working with my roller hockey coach (who once played goal for a pro team over here) to try and improve our new goalie and I've picked up a couple of things from helping him. Not sure exactly how familiar you are with the position, so some of this may be useless info but here goes:

- If your opponents are good skaters and/or like to pass a lot, stay on your feet. The moment you leave your feet, you commit yourself. You can still make this work with a bit of luck and some acrobatics but good opponents will be able to react to you if you make the first move. Stay on your feet as long as possible and try to move them in small, quick movements. Use the butterfly position either once they make their move or if you lose sight of the puck amongst a pile of bodies.

- Keep your hands up. The blocker and glove are there to protect the upper part of the net. If you let them slump to your side (which might happen if your arms get tired) then they aren't in position and you give the shooters more of a target. You want to appear as imposing as possible for anyone going towards your net. Stand up, make yourself big and shout lots to your defenders so you appear in control of the situation. That can play on the mind of the opposition.

- Be aware of your angles and check them if you need to. One drill our goalie did to get used to this was to stand in the centre of his net and skate out of his crease to different points a few feet away. then he had to back up towards the net and cover the angle. As you are backing up, if you have your hands up, you can reach back with the back of your glove when close to your net and feel where the frame of the goal is (particularly the top corners) so you have a better idea of your angle. On the stick side, our goalie was told to try and tap the top of the post using the top of his goal stick while backing in. So whichever side you are on, if you need to back up then you can check your angles without taking your focus away from the game.

- As EagleBelfour said, stay square to the puck. A good player will weave their body around but the puck may not move much. It doesn't matter how much the player moves around, its the puck you want so stay square to that. A good example is that move Jagr does on penalty shots. He will approach down the middle, make a little puck fake as if going to backhand, but he will move his body right across to one side. He then fires the puck across to the opposite side he made the move. If you follow his body movement, you might get suckered into the change of direction, but if you follow the puck, you won't be out of position when the shot comes.

- As I said before, shout and shout lots. Just as you would playing any other position, you need to communicate with your teammates, but from goal, you have a view of almost everything going on so don't be afraid to inform and if neccessary, direct your teammates.

- Don't be afraid of making a mistake. Your teammates will know that you are not playing a position you are comfortable with. Be confident and if you decide to do something, go through with it. Don't half do it and then decide not to. That indecision might affect your teammates. If, for example, you want to chase down loose pucks around your net, go for it and your teammates should realise they need to cover you. If you get half way there then turn round, you will be out of position and your teammates won't be in theirs. The next time it happens, they won't know if they should go for it or cover you. So be confident and using this example, if you chase down a loose puck and get beaten to it, don't worry about it, you can learn from it so you know if its a good idea to try next time or not.

- Don't be afraid to jump on a puck and completely smother it. Our goalie went through a phase where the puck would come to him and he would always try and control it with his stick, then see if he could play it, then if not, try and cover it. By that time, people could put him under pressure and make him misplay it. If you want to cover it, cover it. Better safe than sorry. If you can play the puck with a goalie stick quite well then it might be worth trying if you have time, but if not, keep the puck and completely cover it. And if anyone whacks your glove once its covered, give them a shot back. And if people back into you trying to create a screen, wedge your stick under their skates. Let them know you aren't going to take a beating for no reason. Do go all Hextall on them (unless they deserve it) but don't be afraid to defend yourself if people are taking liberties with you.

- I hope there is at least one useful bit of information in there for you but i expect you might benefit from an actual goalie responding so hopefully someone does. Otherwise, best of luck with the game, I hope it goes well for you. Let us know how you get on.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 10:07 AM
MikeD

not much you can do with just a few days notice. Relax, remember to not let yourself get too deep in the net and just do your best and have fun! The worst thing you can do is get all tight and nervous. Try not to think once you hit the ice. let your natuarl reflexes and instincts kick in. Tending and catching have a lot on common. You will do your best and no one can fault you.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2006, 07:21 PM
LtDangle

Try to be in position and dont be afraid to let the puck hit you, that's what your gear is for!

LtDangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
Is this just a rec league or a sanctioned, official type of game? If it's a rec league, I'd inquire about getting a sub goalie.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 01:23 AM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Go buy "Hockey Goaltending" by Brian Daccord tomorrow, and read chapters four five and six.

Really.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 08:02 PM
hexrae

Good luck. Just had my first game of the season and man is our team brutal. Anyways, if your teammates do their job then all you should really concentrate on is making the first stop. Positioning is first and foremost. Once you get the feel for it, try direct your rebounds to the side, or preferably cover the puck.

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 09:02 PM
CaptBrannigan

Drink lots of gatorade, water, whatever before you play, preferably all through the day. I sweat a lot more playing goal than skater, and if I start feeling dehydrated I can really feel it in my lower back and through headaches.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 10:58 PM
NJDevs430

Good Luck!
Hope you come back Monday and change your title to "Brick Wall"
}:-)>

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Murphy

I did this one weekend for a tournament. Our team was the host and one of the teams playing in it didn't have a goalie. I'm not even sure how it came about other than a large quantity of beer probably played a part. I had no goaltending experince other than street hockey but Saturday morning I found myself out there with the pads on.

I ended up doing not to bad, better than I thought I would anyways. I just concentrated on the puck and wasn't afraid to get hit with it. I think we even won a game with me in there. I blew on the shootouts though. I could not stop a deke for nothing.

I'd be real interested in hearing how you made out.

Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 07:07 AM
Gino 14

Couple things to remember:

It's a game, games are supposed to be fun, have fun.
You won't stop everything, no one does so don't let it get to you.
Try and keep your stick on the ice.
Your biggest critic will be yourself, all your teammates are just glad it's you in net and not them.

Good luck.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote