HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OK, the blueline!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2003, 05:21 PM
  #1
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,854
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
OK, the blueline!

Well, in my eyes, as soon as we get Marty Reasoner back, we are more then set up front! IMO all we need is a Dman. We have all kinds of trading chips (namely Comrie). Who has any ideas of Dmen who, above all else, MUST be good defensively. Offense is a plus. Here is a quick list I came up with who maybe obtainable with out even using Comrie but a guy like Horcoff or Chimera and a little something here or there:
K. Carney
H. Gill
B. Hedican
F. Kaberle
R. Matvichuk(I know, I know, Stars/Oilers deal won't happen)
J. Mckee
I. Ulanov (He's a UFA and when he was hear was AMAZING, could he get that fire back?)
D. Sydor (another month or so when the BJ's managment realized the playoffs isn't even close to possible

Anybody think of anything with OR without Comrie in the deal for veteran blueliner? Out of that list above, I would think for what it would cost us, Hedican would be ideal - especially with his speed!

thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 05:28 PM
  #2
Fayne Gretzky
Registered User
 
Fayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Well, in my eyes, as soon as we get Marty Reasoner back, we are more then set up front! IMO all we need is a Dman. We have all kinds of trading chips (namely Comrie). Who has any ideas of Dmen who, above all else, MUST be good defensively. Offense is a plus. Here is a quick list I came up with who maybe obtainable with out even using Comrie but a guy like Horcoff or Chimera and a little something here or there:
K. Carney
H. Gill
B. Hedican
F. Kaberle
R. Matvichuk(I know, I know, Stars/Oilers deal won't happen)
J. Mckee
I. Ulanov (He's a UFA and when he was hear was AMAZING, could he get that fire back?)
D. Sydor (another month or so when the BJ's managment realized the playoffs isn't even close to possible

Anybody think of anything with OR without Comrie in the deal for veteran blueliner? Out of that list above, I would think for what it would cost us, Hedican would be ideal - especially with his speed!
Well who here really thought that the Oilers would sign Oates? I bet only a few, so that tells me that Klowe has some mystery to him. If he is going to acquire a blueliner, it'll probably be someone that barely anyone is thinking about. But hey, if any deal is goin down, I reeeally hope Comries involved.

Fayne Gretzky is online now  
Old
11-17-2003, 05:34 PM
  #3
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,854
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers112
Well who here really thought that the Oilers would sign Oates? I bet only a few, so that tells me that Klowe has some mystery to him. If he is going to acquire a blueliner, it'll probably be someone that barely anyone is thinking about. But hey, if any deal is goin down, I reeeally hope Comries involved.
Ain't that the truth! I mean NOBODY even would have hinted that the Oilers would have traded Carter and Niinimaa @ the deadline!? And now this!!! Heck..... maybe we'll be seeing Lidstrom in Oiler silks right away ( )


you know, if that ever happened, not only would I ***** my pants, I'd be happy about it AND the trade!

thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 05:41 PM
  #4
Patch101
Registered User
 
Patch101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
..

Patch101 is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 05:41 PM
  #5
Fayne Gretzky
Registered User
 
Fayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Ain't that the truth! I mean NOBODY even would have hinted that the Oilers would have traded Carter and Niinimaa @ the deadline!? And now this!!! Heck..... maybe we'll be seeing Lidstrom in Oiler silks right away ( )


you know, if that ever happened, not only would I ***** my pants, I'd be happy about it AND the trade!
What do you think we'd have to give up to get Lidstrom, lol? This could make an interesting addition to the Comrie proposals thread ( )

Fayne Gretzky is online now  
Old
11-17-2003, 05:42 PM
  #6
Patch101
Registered User
 
Patch101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Ulanov ... bad memories

.... Man, him and Brown ... just bad so glad there gone

Patch101 is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:37 PM
  #7
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I'm sorry... I must be living in a vaccum...

Has everyone forgotten about next year already (when we are in this exact same position again?)

Oates is a wonderful short term fix... however, he doesn't solve our problems over the next 2 years.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:40 PM
  #8
Patch101
Registered User
 
Patch101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I'm sorry... I must be living in a vaccum...

Has everyone forgotten about next year already (when we are in this exact same position again?)

Oates is a wonderful short term fix... however, he doesn't solve our problems over the next 2 years.
Have you forgotten the CBA, there may not BE a next season

Patch101 is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:42 PM
  #9
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101
Have you forgotten the CBA, there may not BE a next season
No, I haven't...

You have to prepare for both scenarios. The last thing you want is to prepare solely for one thing, and the other happens out of nowhere.

If the Oilers completely ignore this need for a centre, then they are back in the exact same place.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:43 PM
  #10
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,794
vCash: 500
thank god somebody has said this.... oates is fine and dandy for a temp fix this year, but the oilers savior he is not.... nor is he our solution to our centermen problems

lowe still needs to get back a 1st or 2nd line centermen for comrie.... because next year we'll be all complaining about how we dont have any centermen again.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get a centermen back for comrie lowe!!!

i dont really know that edmonton needs dmen either to be honest.... we should be set for this year and even if we lose staios next year (which we prolly will) semenov and bergeron should be ready to take on a larger role and brewer will have yet another year of experience under him

i know some people will say that we have Cmen in the system (stoll, niinimaki etc) and we do, but we still need a proven Cman until these players prove they belong in the NHL

jadeddog is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:52 PM
  #11
Jamie
Registered User
 
Jamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
thank god somebody has said this.... oates is fine and dandy for a temp fix this year, but the oilers savior he is not.... nor is he our solution to our centermen problems

lowe still needs to get back a 1st or 2nd line centermen for comrie.... because next year we'll be all complaining about how we dont have any centermen again.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get a centermen back for comrie lowe!!!

i dont really know that edmonton needs dmen either to be honest.... we should be set for this year and even if we lose staios next year (which we prolly will) semenov and bergeron should be ready to take on a larger role and brewer will have yet another year of experience under him

i know some people will say that we have Cmen in the system (stoll, niinimaki etc) and we do, but we still need a proven Cman until these players prove they belong in the NHL
Stoll IMO has proved he belongs in the NHL. I still say defense first, the forwards were taking care of themselves without Oates, it was the defense that stunk.

Jamie is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:54 PM
  #12
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101
..
If I could add to that .. ..

OYLer is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:55 PM
  #13
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i know some people will say that we have Cmen in the system (stoll, niinimaki etc) and we do, but we still need a proven Cman until these players prove they belong in the NHL
I don't disagree with you, but if you're an opposing GM and you have said proven Cman, why in the world do you give him up for Comrie?

If we get a center back for MC, IMO it'll be a project case like a Stefan or Connolly type.

33 goal season or not, 5'9" centers with average footspeed and problem agents aren't exactly a hot commodity. Getting what we consider equal value will not be easy.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:59 PM
  #14
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i dont really know that edmonton needs dmen either to be honest.... we should be set for this year and even if we lose staios next year (which we prolly will) semenov and bergeron should be ready to take on a larger role and brewer will have yet another year of experience under him
As you said, Staios could very well be gone... Smith will be 30 I think (his last year for the Oilers) and will be pricy at 2.5 million or something to that extent. It's all well and good to hope that the defense will be fine... but there is hardly any experience in the lineup there at all..

Brew-Semenov
Smith-Cross
Fergy-Bergeron

How many of those guys can handle what Staios has given us this year? We need Brewer to again log consistent 25 minutes a night... And we need Semenov to get 23 minutes as well when he hasn't played much this year at all.

As much as the center position is a concern until our prospects come up... defense is just as viable concern as is goaltending. Perhaps the last two are even more important as the Oilers' prospect depth is not particularly strong in either area.

momentai is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 07:01 PM
  #15
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,794
vCash: 500
yeah your right about it being difficult for us to get adequatly compensated for comrie (especially after all the STUPID stuff that his camp has done over the past 2 months).... but that doesnt mean that we shouldnt try..... personally i wouldnt even mind lowe waiting until the draft if need be to get back something positive in a Cman..... your right that the forwards were taking care of themselves, but the group of forwards we have could be pretty dangerous with a legit 1-2 Cman.... and our defense should have matured a fair amount by next year (semenov, brewer and bergy)

jadeddog is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 07:01 PM
  #16
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
thank god somebody has said this.... oates is fine and dandy for a temp fix this year, but the oilers savior he is not.... nor is he our solution to our centermen problems

lowe still needs to get back a 1st or 2nd line centermen for comrie.... because next year we'll be all complaining about how we dont have any centermen again.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get a centermen back for comrie lowe!!!

i dont really know that edmonton needs dmen either to be honest.... we should be set for this year and even if we lose staios next year (which we prolly will) semenov and bergeron should be ready to take on a larger role and brewer will have yet another year of experience under him

i know some people will say that we have Cmen in the system (stoll, niinimaki etc) and we do, but we still need a proven Cman until these players prove they belong in the NHL
You have to address our biggest need, and our biggest need now and in the future is defense (or maybe goaltending, if salo keeps up his current form and conklin doesn't). Right now, our offense is doing well, now we've added oates, and like you said, we've got some promise in the future. We'll survive if we don't get a centreman for comrie.

The Rage is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 07:26 PM
  #17
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,854
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
How are we in bad shape up the middle? Reasoner looks like he could easily play top six as a Morrison type guy. Stoll will be the checking center, and Horcoff won't fall of the face of the earth. Then throw onto that that we have Niinimaki and Pouliot for the future and I think a defensman is the best return. I mean with the posibly, and almost likely departure of Smith and Staios, we'll need somebody to add to Brewer, Semenov and Berggy (Cross and Fergy are decent complimetn type palyers)

thome_26 is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 08:04 PM
  #18
Oiltown16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
how bout these trades...

To Edmonton: Jan Hrdina, Jeff Taffe
To Phoenix: Mike Comrie, Smith

To Edmonton: Chris Phillips
To Ottawa: Brad Isbister, Chimera, 4th

Smyth-Hrdina-Hemsky
York-Oates-Dvorak
Torres-Horcoff-Laraque
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani

Staios-Brewer
Phillips-Semenov
Cross-Fergy/Bergy

Salo
Conks

Oiltown16 is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 08:09 PM
  #19
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I'm sorry... I must be living in a vaccum...

Has everyone forgotten about next year already (when we are in this exact same position again?)

Oates is a wonderful short term fix... however, he doesn't solve our problems over the next 2 years.
One theory being floated is that Oates will be traded at the deadline to a contender. You may not have to wait until next season to be back to where we were yesterday.

 
Old
11-17-2003, 08:22 PM
  #20
Patch101
Registered User
 
Patch101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Yah, I would agree that it still leaves a problem at center, but as others have pointed out it buys time for our other would be centers to develop into those roles.

SM

Patch101 is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 08:45 PM
  #21
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
How are we in bad shape up the middle? Reasoner looks like he could easily play top six as a Morrison type guy. Stoll will be the checking center, and Horcoff won't fall of the face of the earth. Then throw onto that that we have Niinimaki and Pouliot for the future and I think a defensman is the best return. I mean with the posibly, and almost likely departure of Smith and Staios, we'll need somebody to add to Brewer, Semenov and Berggy (Cross and Fergy are decent complimetn type palyers)
Thome, with your defense of the Oilers at center you mind as well force us to let them "do it in the road" to quote my main man John. Jesus himself, would advise a more christen approach to the crucifixion of brother Horcoff.

OYLer is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 09:35 PM
  #22
kruezer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
how bout these trades...

To Edmonton: Jan Hrdina, Jeff Taffe
To Phoenix: Mike Comrie, Smith

To Edmonton: Chris Phillips
To Ottawa: Brad Isbister, Chimera, 4th

Smyth-Hrdina-Hemsky
York-Oates-Dvorak
Torres-Horcoff-Laraque
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani

Staios-Brewer
Phillips-Semenov
Cross-Fergy/Bergy

Salo
Conks
As bad as the sens have been, I really don't see that second deal going down.

kruezer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.