HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assessment.

View Poll Results: Where does the D-corps stand?
1 2 4.00%
2 1 2.00%
3 0 0%
4 1 2.00%
5 3 6.00%
6 1 2.00%
7 13 26.00%
8 23 46.00%
9 6 12.00%
10 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-16-2006, 09:36 PM
kingsfan25

vCash: 500
Assessment.

Training camp's here...doesn't look like we'll be seeing any more additions.

So let's see where we stand.

Rate each area of the Kings: (forward, D, and G).

Now, I could do this all in one thread, but I think I'll break it up into a bunch of polls so that we have some more concise results about where the majority thinks we stand.

Start with the D for optimism's sake.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 09:40 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Pretty good defense if it can stay healthy. But they are extremely susceptible to injuries.

09-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Chazz Reinhold

8, if healthy.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

They have a group of defensemen who can do it all, but as Mr. Rainer suggested, what comes into question is their health. But we can't predict injuries...

So with that said, I would say the Kings have one of the best group of defensemen in the league when you look at who they have one through six. I would say it is top ten in the league. Funny how one significant addition could improve the blueline so much when it shifts all the other dmen to their right positions in the order.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Venom_17

An 8, would be higher but I am still skeptical about the mobility and health of the group. Tied to healthy, they are an old corp and that lowers the rating a little bit.

Visnovsky, Blake, Norstrom, Gleason, Sopel, Miller, Dallman is probably in the top 5-7 top 7 in the league.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 11:04 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

7. Health is a concern.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2006, 11:32 PM
KingsFan7824

I gave an 8.

True, 3 of the top 6 are in their mid-30's, 5 of the top 6 are at least 30. Miller and Visnovsky(other than last season) have had recent injury problems. The speed of a couple of them could be an issue.

On the positive side, Norstrom should be back doing what he does, and not having to do too much like last year. Miller and Sopel are in contract years(doesn't always mean much, but it does help sometimes). Visnovsky is coming off a terrific year, and the rules are still in his favor. Gleason should keep improving. Maybe Blake gets a little something extra in his game coming back. Although, hopefully he doesn't try doing too much running around. A) It gets him in trouble, B)he's not 26 anymore.

Are they too old, or are they experienced? We'll find out. It's the strength of the team going into the season, whatever that's worth. If it stays that way as the year goes on, it can't hurt. It can maybe give the goaltenders a little confidence that the guys won't just stop playing come February, and give the young guys up front a chance to get comfortable being the go-to guys.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I wouldn't be too concerned about their age. People look at a player in his 30s and automatically assume that a player is getting old. These are well-conditioned athletes. If they're so brittle they wouldn't be passing physicals.

Don't worry about injuries until they happen. A coach or GM doesn't assemble his roster with the thought of injuries occurring down the road.

Of course you look at a players' history of injuries and bring that into question, but there is also the possibility that the off-season of rehabilitation and/or surgeries and training and what not stabilizes the 'injury prone' skaters.

Any athlete participating in a physical contest is susceptible to an injury.

As for age, lets look at some of the past Stanley Cup champions and the age of their blueline.

Detroit in 2002 had Lidstrom (32), Chelios (40), Duchesne (37), Olausson (36), Dandenault (26), Fischer (22), Slegr (31).

New Jersey in 2003 had Stevens (39), Niedermayer (30), Rafalski (29), Tverdovsky (27), White (25), Daneyko (39), Albelin (39), Smehlik (33).

Carolina this year had Wesley (37), Kaberle (32), Hedican (35), Ward (33), Commodore (26), Wallin (31).

The Kings this year have Blake (36 going on 37), Visnovsky (30), Norstrom (34), Gleason (23), Miller (35), Sopel (29), Weaver (28), Dallman (25).

Blake hasn't been "injury prone" since donning an Avalanche sweater. Visnovsky just came off an 80-game season. Norstrom is steady as a rock. Sopel appeared in two consecutive 80+ game seasons with Vancouver until this past season when he got hurt. Gleason appeared in 78 games.

Now Miller is the big X-factor on the D-corps. Him and Weaver split time last season with Weaver filling in whenever Miller was injured or when Dempsey wasn't dressed (which was quite often).

I think the defense is the strongest it has been since maybe back in 2001 when they started the season with Blake, Schneider, Norstrom, Visnovsky, Boucher, Modry, Karalahti.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 01:40 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
I'll take the Blues Top 4 (Backman, Jackman, McKee, Brewer) over the Kings Top 4... so, there you have it Perspective....

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 02:43 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

B+ **8}

Blake / Gleason
Norstrom / Vishnovsky
Miller / Sopel
Weaver, Dallman, Petiot {before he got hurt }

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...orts-nhl-kings

Quote:
Miller underwent hip surgery, which he hopes will relieve the stress on his back, Sopel had his kneecap repaired and both are ready to make quantum leaps back into the lineup.
Quote:
"We think this will be a very difficult defensive unit to play against," Coach Marc Crawford said. "We can go eight deep back there, with real high-end players like Rob and Lubby."
Quote:
For Miller, it has been a long road. He has suffered from back problems the last three seasons, which limited him to 56 games last season, and he underwent surgery in April. Miller isn't about to pronounce himself physically fit. He spends 1 1/2 hours after practice doing physical therapy. "So far it feels good, but I think I'll need to get in the daily grind before I see how it responds, " Miller said. Having Miller even near to 100% gives the Kings a solid stay-at-home defenseman with nine seasons of experience. "The way I feel right now, this is the best chance I have at playing this game the way I can," Miller said.
Quote:
Sopel seems determined to wash away his post-trade performance last season. An effective mobile defenseman when healthy, he played in only 11 games after the March 8 deal and was largely ineffective. "I was playing on one leg," said Sopel, who had surgery in May. "If we hadn't been in a playoff race, I would have probably shut it down. It was extremely frustrating not to be able to help the team. I'm looking forward to showing how I can play."

Last edited by Puck U: 09-17-2006 at 02:53 AM.
Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 02:47 AM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
I'll take the Blues Top 4 (Backman, Jackman, McKee, Brewer) over the Kings Top 4... so, there you have it Perspective....
Perspective....your perspective, which I don't agree with.

It looks like Backman has had a problem staying healthy, Brewer was injured most of last season and seemed to have lost his game, and Jackman has only played 78 games over the last two season and has very little offensive upside.
McKee was healthy last season, and is a very good defensive asset, but played only 102 games in the two season prior and also has litte offensive upside.

I guess from your perspective, offensively-challenged, oft-injured defensemen are superior.

FanSince2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

I think a solid 8. Better then last year but have yet to see what they can do in an actual game in front of the net as a cohesive team working together. On paper it looks good. Now if they can all work together as a unit and protect our goalie ( with our new addition, that I'm not the most pleased about) then things will be looking pretty good.

Dooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 09:02 AM
King Blazer

From the 9/16 LA Times article Miller and Sopel Ready to Step Up:

"We think this will be a very difficult defensive unit to play against," Coach Marc Crawford said. "We can go eight deep back there, with real high-end players like Rob and Lubby."

link: http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...orts-nhl-kings

I assume that at this point the "eight deep" Crawford makes reference to include Dallman and Weaver. If Blake, Norstrom, Vis, Sopel, Gleason, Miller, Dallman and Weaver are all healthy at the start of the season, one of them (likely Weaver or Dallman) will be waived. Maybe the waived player makes it through waivers, maybe not.

Weaver is in the last year of his 1-way contract at $500k. Dallman is in the first of a 2-yr deal and is scheduled to make $465k this season on the NHL side of a 2-way contract. Both of these salaries are reasonable for a 7th d-man and both players are capable 7th d-men.

For discussion purposes, if we assume that the AHL side of Dallman's contract pays him the AHL max without having to pass through re-enrty waivers, $95k, he's the guy they'll place on waivers.

To keep Dallman as the 7th d-man and retain Weaver in the organization, the Kings will take a salary hit of $965k. To keep Weaver in L.A. as the 7th d-man and send Dallman to Manchester, the Kings salary hit is $595k. Also, because Weaver is on a one-way contract, he would need to clear re-entry waivers and at $250k (half his salary) he's real attractive as a 7th d-man. Is a salary hit of $965k and the chance of having to pay half of Weaver's salary (would count against the Kings CAP) while he plays elsewhere acceptable for a 7th d-man? I don't think so.

Lombardi and Hextall stated that they were looking for another "veteran" d-man in Manchester when they were out here for the press conference to announce Morris as the new head coach of the Monarchs.

The recent injury to Petiot and that he's likely to miss a lot of time as a result, combined with DL's and RH's comments re: a d-man, I'm looking for them to make a move for at least one, if not two d-men. I expect a guy with one to two years of AHL/NHL experience, that's had a cup of coffee or two but isn't subject to waivers as a target for them. I'm thinking a Dustin Byfuglien from Chicago type. I also expect them to target a big, physical "veteran" type for Manchester. A Rullier type is what I have in mind here.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the Kings trade Weaver and LaBarbera prior to the start of the season (final 23-man rosters due date). Maybe in individual deals or perhaps as a package like LaBarbera + Weaver + Pushkarev???

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Homunculous

We have 2 very capable offensive D-men(and possibly another in Sopel if he is truely healthy.) A very good up and coming defenseman who can hold his own on the blueline already in Gleason and 2 very solid when healthy veterans on our crew, If Miller and Sopel are healthy and it shows on the ice then we easily have one of the best units in the league, and if Vishky somehow developes his offensive game even more I'd be tempted to try and move him to the wing on one of our top lines heheh.

Homunculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 09:56 AM
BINGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post

Lombardi and Hextall stated that they were looking for another "veteran" d-man in Manchester when they were out here for the press conference to announce Morris as the new head coach of the Monarchs.

The recent injury to Petiot and that he's likely to miss a lot of time as a result, combined with DL's and RH's comments re: a d-man, I'm looking for them to make a move for at least one, if not two d-men. I expect a guy with one to two years of AHL/NHL experience, that's had a cup of coffee or two but isn't subject to waivers as a target for them. I'm thinking a Dustin Byfuglien from Chicago type. I also expect them to target a big, physical "veteran" type for Manchester. A Rullier type is what I have in mind here.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the Kings trade Weaver and LaBarbera prior to the start of the season (final 23-man rosters due date). Maybe in individual deals or perhaps as a package like LaBarbera + Weaver + Pushkarev???
Not to fixate on Manchester, but I think that Doug Nolan might be one of the veterans that they retain. I have not seen him on any of the training camp rosters, BUT I did catch (what I thought) was a glimpse of him at camp pics over at the other site....

At the end of last year, I would of bet that the Monarchs would of signed Rullier to an attractive AHL contract for this season and given him the C....Afterall they did reaquire him for their "playoff push" for Smyth. Now, if it is Nolan out there, look for him to be in Manch Vegas as the veteran D man DL and RH speak of.

BINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 10:26 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I think the fowards inabilty to score goals will put pressure on the dmen to do it all and will lead to breakdowns. Then factor in none of the goalies are all stars, Garon and Cloutier let in softies and Garon gives up huge rebounds which is not what you want as a dman. The scouting report on the Kings has to be to put a lot of pressure on the dmen so I gave them a 7.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Matt13

Always being optimistic, I gave it a 8.

What kind of performance will it take for Sopel to offset the loss of Tambellini?

10 goals, 20 assists? 15 goals, 30 assists? etc etc

I can can see him with at least 15 goals this season. With Blake and Lubo leading the power play on the first line he will see significant play on the second finally giving the Kings a threat from the blueline that we havent seen in some time.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Venom_17

I could see Dallman working his way onto the top 6, as opposed to being waived.

I am interested to see how Miller and Sopel react to playing under Crow, since they have both had success under him in the past.

Old
09-17-2006, 03:15 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post

I am interested to see how Miller and Sopel react to playing under Crow, since they have both had success under him in the past.
I predict that Miller will react by not shattering spine and Sopel will react by leaving his kneecaps completely intact.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Quattro

I said 7 - I think Miller and especially Sopel will be better than most here think. I would say our D is solid, not spectacular. Definitely the strongpoint of the team right now.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 04:12 PM
FuTMaR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post

who would dallman replace?

gleason? visnosky?

FuTMaR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Yeah. I wouldn't doubt that a Ducks fan would.

Blake>>>>McKee
Norstrom>>>Jackman
Visnovsky>>>>Backman
Gleason>Brewer.

09-17-2006, 05:25 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Perspective? At times I wonder why you post in this board - You are just like CBGB over at that other site - I think you live to just stir things up. It does keep it interesting - although I could do without your putdowns of other posters.

I gave it an 8

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
who would dallman replace?

gleason? visnosky?
I'm thinking Miller...

Old
09-17-2006, 07:36 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BINGO View Post
Not to fixate on Manchester, but I think that Doug Nolan might be one of the veterans that they retain. I have not seen him on any of the training camp rosters, BUT I did catch (what I thought) was a glimpse of him at camp pics over at the other site....

At the end of last year, I would of bet that the Monarchs would of signed Rullier to an attractive AHL contract for this season and given him the C....Afterall they did reaquire him for their "playoff push" for Smyth. Now, if it is Nolan out there, look for him to be in Manch Vegas as the veteran D man DL and RH speak of.
Nolan's in the Kings camp (wearing #57) --- the other oddball entry on D is Bryan Schmidt (wearing #42), who played last season at Merrimack and then 15 games with the P-Bruins. Schmidt is 25 years old, and is obviously bucking for a shot at a Monarchs contract.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote